Macy'sdeceptive billing practices

J Review updated:

I have a Macy's Visa Credit Card. I have a bill payment through my bank. I began to receive bills from Macy's, which I paid through my bank. I receive e-statements only. When I would attempt to pay the amount that Macy's was billing through my bank on the Visa Card, the message was "amount exceeds amount owed" - because I had a zero balance. Then Macy's began adding late charges (even though I was making a $5.00 minimum payment). Finally, I called Macy's and was told that the charge was on a revolving account within the Macy's store itself. I was unaware that there were two separate accounts. I paid the charges, including late fees. However, I was frustrated when I tried to point out that I was unaware of the second account. This is deceptive. My credit score went from 813 to 763. I want this expunged from my credit history, but so far, Macy's is unwilling to work with me.

• Co
    Cottonball922 Feb 20, 2019

Macy's is definitely engaging in deceptive billing practices!! I returned some items a week after my payment was due. I got an updated balance from Macys over the phone and paid it along with a late fee of $27. The electronic payment was applied and my balance was $0 at the end of Jan 2019. I just received a bill for $2 in interest, for an "outstanding balance" for February 2019. I contacted Macy’s and was told that my payment was NOT received before their billing cycle ended so I would be responsible for the $2 in interest! I explained that I immediately paid what I was told to, and that the billing cycle had not yet ended when they received my payment. The Rep. gave me the same explanation and it turned into an argument, which ended in my threatening to report Macys' to the local DEPARTMENT OF CONSUMER AFFAIRS for investigation of its ILLEGAL, DECEPTIVE, AND PREDATORY BILLING PRACTICES. I know it’s just $2, but it’s the principal of the matter! Immediately, my balance was zeroed out and the conversation ended. This is not the only issue I've had with Macys. They send me bills for items I just purchased but have not received. What is wrong with them? What stupid company is handling their billing? Get it together!

• La
    LAW1456 Feb 21, 2019

@Cottonball922 I have the same issue with Macy's. Every time I use my card and pay 100% prior to the next billing cycle I can anticipate receiving the $2.00 statement. Every time, I call and have them remove it. They tell me the reason, I say thank you for removing and we're done. Every once in awhile I get someone that refuses to remove the charge. She will be firm on making me pay it. I tell her to stick it where the sun doesn't shine and hang up. Then I get a statement with the $2.00 removed.
    It's a hassle to play this game, but you're right, it's principal. No pun intended.

• St
    Stoma Brothers Oct 05, 2018

Macy's is definitely involved in deceptive practices. I had an expired credit card with Macy's was told by an associate that will be renewed on the spot. The next thing I know I have a second credit card.Macy's states that I would have been asked for my income at the time and possibly other information which I surely would not have provided as that would not be necessary to renew my card. I clearly stated that I did not want a new card and Associates stated that they were simply renewing my existing account which was a blatant lie. I immediately cancelled both cards which impacted my credit score.