LG Electronicspoor quality and poor customer care service

I purchased an LG Home Theatre System from Best Buy on February 5, 2009. On March 22nd, 2009 the DVD player started to lose it's picture and every 5 to 7 seconds the picture would turn black but the sound would still be heard. I contacted LG hoping they would actually offer to replace the system since the product was only a few days past the 30 exchange period. They refused and made me have the item repaired. So I am basically stuck with a brand new now refurbished LG product. The HT963TA was actually on a list that was sent out to all ASC (service centres) which informed that the product was to be exchanged and NOT repaired. The product was taken off the list in February yet LG was too cheap to offer me a replacement.
Here was my letter to them:
On February 5th, 2009 I purchased a brand new LG home theatre system from Best Buy. On Sunday March 22nd, my family was about to sit down to watch a movie. During the start of the movie the screen started flashing black. The sound was always there but the picture kept turning black. I tried to replug everything but nothing worked. I took the unit upstairs to my other HD TV and the same thing happened. I tried using 3 different HDMI cables but nothing helped. I tried contacting LG who told me that the unit had to be brought in for servicing at AudioVideo RD. When I called, the person I spoke to told me that this unit was on a list that was to be exchanged and not repaired. I was relieved because I believed I shouldn't have to be stuck with a refurbished unit I paid full price for only last month. When I called LG back they told me that the list was an old one from December 2008 and that a new list was distributed in February 2009. They told me I had to have the unit serviced. I am asking you politely to reconsider your decision as I truly believe that LG has a better reputation than to force defective products onto it's customers when the unit broke down only days after the 30 day exchange warranty expired. If you insist I have my unit serviced I will have no other choice but to do so. However, I will make the general public aware of the service you have provided and the quality LG has put out on the market. I am not making any threats here I am just pointing out the facts of how my case was handled.
This was their reply:
Hello
Thank you for contacting LG Customer service. We are here to help provide you with the answers or guidance you need. If you require further assistance please submit a new request or contact customer service at [protected].
Unfortunately after the initial 30 days the unit must be serviced. Please take the unit to Audio Video RD to have it looked at.

Well, I am keeping to my word and I am going to make everyone aware of the way LG has handled my situation. They are putting out poor quality products as they had these products on a list to be exchanged. They are aware of the problems but refuse to replace them. Their customer (we don't) care centre is a joke and only after numerous phone calls will they call you back with an answer. A pathetic one at that. I suggest to the world that even if LG is offering their products cheaper than the competition it is worth paying the extra buck to get a quality product that won't force you to have repaired two weeks after the 30 day exchange policy. AVOID LG PRODUCTS!

• Pa
    Paolo75 Mar 31, 2009

I bought mine in February on eBay (still brand new) and the sticker on the back shows it was manufactured in Oct/08.
    I am having the exact same problem as mentioned above, the picture goes black with the HDMI cable every so often but the sound is flawless. I too phoned LG and the fellow on the phone said to use the component video cables instead. What? A brand new upconverting DVD home theatre system and he wants me to simply use component cables which defeats the purpose of upconverting as component will only go as high as 480p. I am very dissappointed to say the least!!! If they do not do anything then I will make sure that everyone I know will be aware. Happened once to me with Maytag and a dishwasher we bought, never again for Maytag, hopefully LG will be more reputable?

joe Apr 04, 2009

Good to know. I WAS looking for reviews on this unit (as I was thinking of purchasing it from C**tco). But now I'M not buying it for sure.

• Ni
    nia furtado Apr 18, 2009

I would never buy an LG product again myself. We purchased a frontloader washer and dryer set from Future Shop, November of 2007 and on December 2008 the washer stopped working. The washer was actually acting up about 2 months after I purchased it.
    I was out of a washer for 2 months. That's how long it took to try and figure out the problem between the technicians at LG and the technician that was called by Future Shop to fix the problem. No one has been able to figure out the problem to this day, April 2009, the washer works when it feels like it and then quits. Future Shop will not replace it even though I bought a 5 yr extended warranty on the units and LG could care less because it's past the manufacturers warranty. Never again as far as I'm concerned. LG SUCKS!!! I'm also questioning the Extended Warranty offered by Future Shop and Best Buy.

• Vi
    Vishesh Pandey Jun 26, 2009

Same here..they should stop giving their customer services at all. I had problems with my LG AC. After trying hours, I could reach customer care and they assured me that someone will call me up for the complain logged. Nobody turned up and I kept trying to reach them many a times and they kept telling me stories and excuses. At the end of next day, a service engineer stopped by at my place. He did his basic inspection, collected his visiting charge and assured me that he'll come back early morning tomorrow. Next day, I kept trying that service engineer but he didn't even pick his phone till the time of my writting this review. Don't know when a tiny problem of my AC is going to be solved by this awesome customer care. So please be aware of the fact that don't expect support from the LG customer care. Better you choose your own freelancer mechanic for sorting out your LG products problems.

• Fe
    Fernando Rodrigues Sep 24, 2009

Yep, there it is again - the famous LG customer service!!! I'm having a similar "couldn't give a cr...p" attitude from LG this time in Portugal and with a LG KP500 cell phone. It is not even a year old - it's gone in some 3 months ago because it kept switching off and they slapped on the "famous" software update (on a cell phone that's around 5 months old???) then second time it goes in because the battery would not charge - found that the contact by battery charger slot "snapped" off the board and for this..."sorry, not covered by guarantee" so have the board fixed AT A COST THAT'S VERY CLOSE TO A NEW UNIT!!! Now that's business for you - sell low quality item, when it packs up, force customer to buy new one based on some sloppy excuse for a lousy product...replace the unit? Neeeeever, it'll bring LG worlwide down in this time of crisis, total financial ruin!!! LG products? NEVER AGAIN!!! NONE WHATSOEVER!!! And more - I'm getting rid of ALL LG products I have in my home ASAP...

• Sc
    scatmanwfm Feb 10, 2010

Yeah they're pretty ###. I bought a 23 inch monitor from them last year and I never had a need for the HDMI port on it until I got an xbox360 I tried it out and sure enough it was broke. So I contacted LG received a number for shipping and sent it in. It got to them and about two weeks pass with no email to me regarding the state of it or if I was being shipped a replacement so I contacted them and was told that it had already been delivered to me (Lol) I told them it hadn't and they told me I needed to contact Fedex without them giving me a tracking number... I tried to explain this to the rep but he obviously didn't give two ### to listen. So finally the next day I talk to the same guy and he tells me how he made a mistake that it is on the way now. When I finally got it expecting a new one or mine fixed and returned I look in the box and they have sent me a beat up "returdished" monitor with horrible body work and ware. So I hook up it and guess what! The colors are completely screwed and the screen is blurry. I contact them again only to be told that I will not receive a new one I will get another refurbished one. So I email two seperate LG reps multiple times with a response here and there. Now they have stopped answering my emails about getting my original monitor fixed and sent back instead. I guess it's going to take me sometime to get a working monitor from them... either that or they will pretend I don't exist until my 3 year warranty expires...

• Di
    die hard Feb 26, 2010

I bought mine in dec 08 and the sticker on the back shows it was manufactured in Oct/08.

can any one help

• Lg
    LG-NeverAgain Feb 11, 2011

They weren't budging and told me to bring it for servicing. After bringing it in for servicing they weren't able to fix the problem at which point LG offered to replace the unit. After waiting a few weeks and several emails and phone calls they told me there was a back order on the unit and it would take another month or so. I got fed up with their lies and empty promises and decided to take this to small claims court. I filed a suit against them and upon receiving a letter from small claims court of my intentions, a customer relations personnel from LG contacted me within a week. She asked what they could do to fix this. I gave them my demands and they were willing to comply. What I got was an upgrade to a Blu-ray HTSB. They also gave me a one year warranty on it. I've had the system for over a year now and have had no problems...KNOCK ON WOOD!

• Lp
    lpgaray May 04, 2011

LG Electronics, buy from them if you most, but be aware...Their return policy is: NO refunds or EXCHANGES !!!. they have developed the perfect system to make you keep their defective products, I purchased a gas range unit, on my first FIRST try, the thing was burning some thing like paper or metal, had to shut it down inmediatly, also this unit has a piece of metal on the upper ventilation system which prevents any cooking pot or frying pan to align in the center of the burner, there is a gap in between this piece and the unit that traps any food residue and ther is no way to clean it...what a mess!!! they have so far sent two so called "techs" and all they say is to open the windows, that there is nothing wrong with it, I am screwed with about $1, 400 ..can not use it..most likely have to re-sell it a a hugh loss...LG and Home depot the perfect combination...a bunch of wise guys...

• Po
    pooja chaudhary Jun 23, 2011

Lg says life is good with lg electronics but me (Ac lg) says life is not good with lg, because it only for the slogan not for the service. Today is the fifteenth day with the my comp. But reply in zero. . . A complain has been lodged on11. 06. 11 bearing no rna1106110483. Ut in vain. A service engineer of lg connected and told that he is comming on 15. O6. 11. And again service engineer coming on 23. 06. 11 but nt response my complaint for a. C pooja chaudhary my contact no [protected]

• Br
    Brinko Jun 03, 2016

Our LG dryer Stainless steel tub cracked along the tub weld joint line and LG refussed to even supply the parts free after the repair facility asked them too. So we must make costly repairs or trash unit. We will never buy LG anything again and will tell everyone we can about their crappy products and the fact that they dont back them even when it is an obvious manufacturer defect! Dont buy LG!

jalanmukesh Jun 16, 2016

I have lodge a complain against my AC not working on 07.06.16, the service man attended on 08.06.16. He check it up and told that tomorrow some other person will come and check it again as he is unable to repair. But too my utter dis appointment no one attended despite my reminders to the service person.

Kindly look into it