Menu
LensCrafters
reviews & complaints

LensCrafters
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

331 complaints
104 resolved 227 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of LensCrafters. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
7:43 am EST

LensCrafters - employee abuse

I came in there store in July of 2012.I needed a refill on my contact lenses.I was told very rudely that I needed to get a new examination. I stood up for myself and they finally figured out I was right and gave me some new contacts $85.00.When my contract or renewal. Was up, I came back and was told it have to order my contacts. I knew they had in stock and repeatedly ask them to check again.They finally did. I was right I got my contacts right there.Then I get a letter from corporate tell me never to come back in their stores

L
11:44 pm EST

LensCrafters - poor quality

It makes me feel angry but also validated to read these complaints about the poor quality of Lenscrafters products. First, some comments for the critics of the complaints. You can't be serious that you think a pair of EYEGLASSES (or shoes for that matter) should not last without falling apart for more than 5 months. I'm going to just assume you've never come close enough to a pair of glasses and that you can't possibly be that ignorant. I have been wearing glasses for 20 years, though I typically wear contact lenses. I wear my glasses right before bed and right after waking up in the morning, and I'll wear them for a whole day maybe once a week. I've owned glasses for 7 and 5 years at a time and those glasses remained intact and were only ever replaced for a different look. The first and only pair of glasses I bought from Lenscrafters 4 years ago have fallen apart a total of 4 times. The problem is the metal hinge that holds the sides of the glasses onto the front. Think of this as the equivalent of a manila envelope clasp, the thin metal that breaks off when it's bent too much. Now think about how often glasses are folded and unfolded, and that hinge is also supporting the weight of the glasses. It is cheaply made, plain and simple. The first time it happened, after about a year, I was forced to replace them, out of pocket, full price (I had just missed the warranty ending). There is no way to repair this break because (think of the envelope clasp) that cheap thin metal has been broken. I was told it was my fault for the way I must be putting them on and removing them. They demonstrated the proper way, and even though I was skeptical that this mattered, I maintain the use of their "method" and it has made no difference. Less than a year later, the hinge broke again and they replaced the frames because it was within the warranty time period. They again blamed it on the way I am taking off my glasses, despite me pointing out to them I remove them the way they are telling me to (not much more than blank stares after that). Over a year later, guess what! The hinge broke again. (I know this must be shocking, that that tiny cheap piece of metal can't hold up.) This time, they are out of my frame, which is so irritating on top of having them break for the third time in 3.5 years. They explained to me that, since your prescription only lasts 2 years, the glasses are meant to be replaced that often. When I questioned the absurd concept that eyeglasses are only meant to last 2 years, he made the incorrect assertion that "everyone replaces them then anyway, " I pointed out to him my history with glasses that I outlined above and argued he is absolutely wrong that people replace glasses that often (at least not willingly). He offered a discount on any frame in the store after way too long of me arguing that Lenscrafters has a responsibility in this shoddy product. By the way, the argument that store is not responsible for the products THEY SELL IN THEIR STORE is also one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. That defies most companies' models of integrity and customer satisfaction, as most companies say they stand behind their product . Most companies take responsibility when they sell something that's pure crap. LC is not one of these companies I guess, so nice representation. Anyway, I ended up having them attach a working arm from the previous broken frame I had to this current broken frame. This lasted for about 5 months until the other arm eventually broke off. So I have come to the point where I refuse to buy another product from them. Not only because of the poor quality, but also because of their stance on their responsibility for their products. It's laughable really. I recently bought new frames half off on Amazon (after trying them on in Lenscrafters - thanks for the free try-on!) and plan on filling them somewhere else. LC wanted more than double what other places (Target, JC Penney) is asking, close to $400, just to fill the lenses. I don't know how they have managed to stay afloat this long, to be honest.

PS: The person whose dog chewed the glasses and they expected it to be LC's fault - are you kidding? People like you devalue the legitimate customer complaints.

V
11:28 am EDT

LensCrafters - glasses

I purchased by rimless glasses at Lenscrafters in Orange Park, Florida. I have had them since January 2013 and they started cracking on both sides at the screw area. I took them back yesterday and I experienced a rude employee. I stated that the glasses must be defective because cracks are on both sides exactly in the same places. I was told no they are not defective or they would have cracked in the first 90 days. My glasses were over $500.00. My insurance paid around $268.00 and I paid the balance. So $500.00 glasses last less than 8 months? I am very disappointed . Not to mention that this could be a safety issue. Between my husband, myself and my son we have purchased "9" glasses at Lenscrafters. We have not had any problems with any of them until now. We will not be a returning customer nor will we recommend Lenscrafters. I work for a doctors office and we practice very good customer service and will do what it takes to make our customers happy and returning customers. Lenscrafters has very poor customer service.

Update by vtpadgett
Jul 26, 2013 10:18 am EDT

I would expect for repairs on a car 11 yrs. old to be on me or a house 23 yrs old but we are not talking about houses or cars or electronics we are talking about a $500+ pair of glasses lasting 7 months on a loyal former repeat customer.! I understand warranty issues but I also know that exceptions are made to keep customers happy and returning. To bad it wasn't your $500.!

5:31 pm EDT

LensCrafters - sales pressure

Let's say you need basic transportation. A small (comparatively) inexpensive car will do the job of getting you from point A to point B, and you tell the salesperson you can't afford anything more than that. Should the salesperson relentlessly insist that you buy their most expensive luxury model, or give you what you need? LensCrafters is like that: they will push THE MOST COSTLY products they have (both frames & lenses, especially lenses), telling you this is what you MUST have. I wear "progressive no-line" eyeglass lenses. They came up with a price for these lenses (with glare coating, scratch-resistant coating, etc.) costing $650.00 PER PAIR! I told them I COULD NOT AFFORD such lenses, especially since, like many middle aged people, my prescription will change again in a year anyway! Please also note: a pair of regular frames can EASILY cost $150.00 or more: now, a complete pair of glasses can cost me $800.00! I have no vision insurance, and I'm not on Medicare or Medicaid, you know, "screw me and the rest of the uninsured". Can't Lenscrafters understand that eyeglasses are not "Beverly Hills or Palm Beach" luxury fashion items for the wealthy, and provide reasonable prices on lenses? Here's the last (the beauty) part: no "one hour service"...10 TO 12 FREAKING DAYS to order the lenses. Bend over and get kicked folks!

B
11:10 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I ha a worse experience with this store. I went there March 30, 2013 to replace the lens of my existing frame. The guy who assisted me is way too obvious not knowledgeable with what he was doing. I was patient waiting for him to process thing without even explaining to me the details but i thought he must have known what he's. So on April 13th I went back...

12:51 pm EST
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I need the address of their home office so i can send a detailed message about my dissatisfaction with this store. I have been a customer for 30 years and so many changes have been made for the company benefit with no regard for their employee's or customers. Recently bought lens' and frames for over $400. 00. I tried to call them one evening to check on my...

L
7:17 pm EDT

LensCrafters - salesmen lied!!!

Buyer BEWARE! Two salesmen lied to me. NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. Do Not Shop at LENS CRAFTERS STONECREST MALL. I bought two pair of prescription glasses. One pair were sunglasses. The sales man talked me into a pair of Maui Jims. I had never heard of them but he raved. His name was Andy. His words were "these are the last pair of sunglasses you'll ever buy", he told me that the were virtually scratch proof but if I ever had a problem, bring them back and Lens Crafters would send them back to MJ and fix or replace for free. For $400 for a pair, I thought that was reasonable. Well, couple of months and lots of scratches. Took them back and MJ did replace them. A few months later, same thing. I took them back to Lens Crafters at Stone Crest Mall and they asked if I had some "protection plan". I told them what Andy said and the shipped them off to MJ. MJ sent them back and said it would be $400! Are you kidding me? Chris at Len's Crafters told me "Yeah, we heard that Andy told a lot of people things that he shouldn't have, he has since been fired". Well, how does that help me? Where is the customer service? I went to LC to pick up my scratched lenses and Bilal (another salesman) told me that Andy wasn't fired, he quit. So now there are TWO ars at Lens Crafters. They basically sent me on my way. Spent over $600 with them on two glasses and I get stuck with scratched glasses. Will never shop there again.

W
6:21 pm EDT

LensCrafters - substandard product

Have purchased glasses for over 20 years from Lenscrafters. Purchase price was over $300.00. After getting glasses home I didn't need them for six months. Opened the case to wear them and discovered both lens had stress fractures. Took the glasses back to the store and was advised that I had left them somewhere too hot. After advising they were stored in my desk, the next excuse was that I dropped them but examination of the frame showed this didn't happen. The next excuse was I should have brought them back in 30 days where another examination showed the glasses had never been worn. Was advised it would cost over $200 for the replacement lens. When I asked to speak to the manager, was advised she would be in later in the day and I could come back (I live 90 miles from store!). Not going to any Lenscrafters again.
Vern

Jul 23, 2012 7:41 pm EDT

Right, the old, i just opened my case and they were broken. I didn't do anything to them. geez.

2:10 pm EDT

LensCrafters - broken glasses

I have recently become homeless and late one night as I was walking the streets I was attacked and beaten up which resulted in my glasses being totally destroyed. I had purchased these glasses at LensCrafters last year( an eye exam, new lenses and frames) for 325$. When I let them know of my situation, can't see more than two feet in front of me, they told me my warranty had run out and there was nothing they could to do to help me. The only time they helped me was when I had the money to pay, now I'm broke and they turn there back on me and ignore me. They will never SEE a dime of my money ever again.

A
Jun 15, 2012 10:05 pm EDT

What were you expecting? Do you think you can walk into a store and demand a discount or item for free just because you want it? Grow up. It's not a store's responsibility to give you something for free. Try a church or the Lions Club or social services to get help with paying for glasses. Or medicaid.

1:29 pm EDT
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Danger, Lenscrafters is very dangerous. You must be very careful when ordering glasses from Lenscrafters! This is an organization that will not accept any responsibility for there errors. The employes who work there are experts at finger pointing at each other let alone the at the Doctors of Optometry that are attached to the store but are not a part of the...

11:24 pm EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

LensCrafters - beware of the liars!!!

After purchasing a pair of glasses for almost $400, I found a website that was offering similar frames for only $6.95. I decided to purchase an extra pair online but needed my PD measurement. The receptionist LIED to me and said she could not legally disclose that information to me. I was irate. I am a dental student and am very aware that my right as a patient is full access to my own medical records. I demanded to speak to the manager. She admitted to the "fib" but then lied to me AGAIN by saying that this number is useless to me since it varies with EVERY pair of glasses. When I demanded to have this information, she told me I would have to come in person and sign a medical release before giving me my OWN measurement that I paid for! I ended up calling Costco since I ordered glasses from them 3 years ago and this measurement does not change for adults, and they happily faxed it to me as expected of any ethical business. Do NOT let LensCrafters lie to you!

Mar 07, 2012 6:06 pm EST

They had no problem with providing me with both my contact lens and glass prescription. The information they did not want to provide was the PD measurement which is omitted from the prescription they provide their patients, but is information necessary if you wish to order glasses online for a fraction of the price found in stores. I agree that the average customer uninterested in seeking online deals would not be affected by this matter.

Mar 07, 2012 9:26 am EST

I apologize for the omission and am glad you pointed it out because I am sure other readers may have been wondering why I was so frustrated when the answer should have been as easy as you had mentioned: Call and ask for my prescription. In fact, it was just that simple when I contacted Costco's Optical Department. They asked me if I had my receipt since they print that information on there as a courtesy to their customers. I informed them that I did not have it, and they went ahead and faxed it to me after verifying my personal information. Thank you for your input.

Mar 07, 2012 4:45 am EST

I would not complain about something so "stupid" if they did not omit that information from the prescription when they faxed it to me. And as "stupid" as this may seem to those that do not care if their healthcare providers find common practice in misinforming their patients for financial gain, I would just like to suggest to anyone shopping for an Optometrist to find an office that allows you access to the evaluation that you paid for so you can purchase your glasses elsewhere if it saves you a few hundred dollars.

Mar 07, 2012 4:29 am EST

I would be less upset if that were true regarding their policy, except for the fact that they were very comfortable with faxing my prescription WITHOUT that measurement with nothing more for verification of my identity other than asking for my first and last name as well as a fax number.

Mar 27, 2012 1:13 pm EDT
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

We had the same problem with lens crafters, bought $400 worth of glasses and then asked for the pd measurement and they would not give it to me. I understand if you wanted to have them measure your pd for free, but we bought glasses from them, I DESERVE to have and my RIGHT to get that information (Im a nurse so I know about having access to my medical record) I paid for it. So angry that I will tell everyone about this, Lenscrafters will have a lot less customers.

O
12:02 am EST

LensCrafters - warning

WARNING! After many years of being a customer, It seems that Lenscrafters is now pushing their staff to push the sale of new glasses, no matter what the case. I needed nothing more than a new screw in my frame, but they did everything they could to sell me new glasses. They told me that the hinge was broken beyond repair (it wasn't). When I asked if I should just "throw these away?" since they can't be fixed, the manager said "yes". $400 glasses that were a year-and-a-half old! I walked to another store in the mall, they put in a new screw for me - my glasses are like new.

2 comments
May 04, 2012 11:24 am EDT

LensCrafters is probably doubling billing especially since the insurance company was charged for the prescription. The contacts were paid for in cash and the sun glasses, @ $499.00 were returned 5 minutes after they were billed. I encourage consumers to watch the billing process to make sure your insurance company is not being billed for services that LensCrafters is not providing. An additional $162.00 was billed to my insurance company, at least that's what the manager said for SUN GLASSES. Please remember these were not prescription sun glasses nor were they designer frames. The customer service is exceptional until they get your money then you need to call the police because the theft was glaring while they tried to justify three different receipts for one purchase.

May 04, 2012 11:18 am EDT

Lens Crafters convinced me that I needed sun glasses which I did not. The glasses that were non prescription in a $75.00 frame ended up costing $499.00, parts of which were charged to my insurance company with approximately $353.00 charged to me. SUN GLASSES. This was not simply misleading this was theft. The interity of LensCrafters is at stake and I plan to report them to BBB and the Inspector General.

4:07 am EST

LensCrafters - color peeling off frames

Purchased a pair of Ralph Lauren frames from Lenscrafters. After 18 months, the color enamel is peeling off. Spoke to the manager at the Wellington FL store and she told me that it was more than 12 months so there was nothing she could do about what she considered "normal wear and tear". The lens are not scratched and other parts of the frames are in excellent condition. Wear and Tear would not be just in a few spots! She would not do anything to correct the problem. If I wanted to purchase a new frame, she would give me a discount and move the lens. Basically, wanting me to pay for a replacement frame. I don't know about your insurance, but mine only includes frames every 2 years. If Lenscrafters frames cannot hold up for that minimum period without showing significant "wear and tear", then maybe people with insurance should find someplace else to purchase glasses.

U
1:23 am EST

LensCrafters - sleazy business practice

I visited my local LensCrafters because I needed glasses in an hour. Lucky for me I'd read the on-line reviews and had a "heads-up" of their business practices. From the moment I approached the clerk it was an aggressive sales pitch, and trying to talk me in to the top-of-the-line lens for my 10 y.o. I turned them down every step of the way, even after they suggested the $325 poly carbonate lens. "But it's what your doctor would want you to have." The pushiness continued right until I paid for her glasses, and declined the annual insurance charge. The good news is we did walk out 45 minutes later with her glasses, but it was a fight the entire visit to not accept what felt like sleazy sales tactics. The funniest thing was when a 2nd technician approached the 1st one to "study the prescription" in the back room. It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut. I only regret not having filmed the visit.

Feb 15, 2013 10:44 pm EST

That's so sad that you let strangers on the internet who may or may not have known what they where talking about persuade your decision over the health of your child's eyes. After following their recommendations on lenses for my child's lenses her eyes have improved from needing bifocals at the age of 4 to not needing any prescription glasses now at the age of 9. You'll probably be told that your child's eyes are worse at his next dr's visit because you decided to think with your checkbook and not listen to highly trained individuals. shame on you!

A
6:11 am EST

LensCrafters - horrible service

I bought glasses for the first time at lenscrafters and was so excited to get them! They had to special order them in so when they finally came in i could not wait. I put them on and they were so blurry! They told me I just had to adjust to them. I went back 3 time cause I could not see out of my glasses. The staff was so rude to me and treated me like I was so stupid and insisted I just needed to get used to them. Then after my 4th return told me my prescription was wrong. | went back and paid for another exam. When returning to lenscrafters to inform them they had made a mistake entering my lense info they were again rude and scoffed that they made a mistake. They checked there computer and walked away to talk to there manger. They had entered everything wrong and had treated me so bad! I will never shop there again they are so rude and have the worst staff.

6:36 pm EDT

LensCrafters - doesn't deliver on promise

I lived in Bayonne, NJ for most of my life.
I have needed glasses for about the last 17 years. For the last 10 years or so, I used Wise Optical in Bayonne, where everything was superb. I recently moved, so when I needed new lenses for my three pair of glasses, I looked for someplace close who had a lab on premises. I found Lenscrafters in Springfield, NJ. On my initial visit, I explicitly explained that I needed the sections of my trifocals to be exactly the same size as my originals. They measured and told me it was no problem. Long story short, three trips later and three times wrong, they told me that they could not provide what I wanted, and issued me a refund. When I requested my prescription, so I could go elsewere, they couldn't find it. While it is understandable that they may not be able to supply what I needed, it is not understandable to waste so much of my time. I am self-employed and four hours of my time is worth something. It isn't rocket science. If they can't do it, say so up front and don't try to make me settle for less.
I'll now have to drive the extra distance back to Bayonne, but at least I know that I can get good service and correct product.
I certainly won't use Lenscrafters again.

K
6:26 pm EDT

LensCrafters - lens

My boyfriend went in to this lens crafters in the 1/17/11 Tustin market Place and got his glasses done! He was told that he had high blood pressure and cataracts! Well he had surgery on the left eye in July 11 2011 and we went to have a dummy lens put in! And we went back to lens crafters! And they did it for free! And 4 weeks later 9/29/11 we went in and spent $160.00 for one eye to be checked and 1 single vision lens! A few day later 10/6/11 he had his second eye surgery! And again we went back to lens crafters to have a dummy lens put in! And this time we were treated like dirt! they wanted to charge him $95.00 for a plastic no vision lens! And it's only gonna be in for 4 weeks!

The manager there Geraldine was of no help what so ever! Rude! And offered no help! Even though she was aware that we would be back in, in November and spending another $160.00! In total this year spending at lens crafters since January 2011 $800.00 in one store!

Also this time when we went in the store ifs flithy! Drip stains coming from the lab all the way to the front door! Dust every where! And the sales people there are always trying to knock up the price!
Thank you Kathryn Jacinto!

2 comments
B

SALES PEOPLE are out to get a sale.. Please read reviews from there stores and complaints.. All the people that write a review are out to help us out there. So Please read and give your opinion. Call the B.B.B. if needed and make a complaint. The computer is are helper..

D
Oct 10, 2011 6:34 pm EDT

i wouldn't complain if i were you they already did 1 for free what more do you want? they could have charged you the first time too

V
7:24 pm EDT

LensCrafters - I guess lenscrafter does not care about the customer

I ordered glasses for my son on July 13-2011. On July 23-2011 they came in but they were wrong. I was not mad or upset. Mistakes happen and we are all human. What I did not expect was that it would take until July 10 for them to come in again. To me, when a mistake has been made you should do everything possible to correct the mistake as soon as possible. When I called the store to check and see if they had come in they said “no the lab does not allow us to put a rush on an order”. The peole at lenscrafters could have cared less if I cancelled to order. When I picked up the glasses they tried to give me a discount but it was not about money it was about Lenscrafters customer service policy that evidently the lab get to set for the company. There is too much competition to have a customer wait almost a month for glasses. I will not go back to Lenscrafters for glasses unless the policy is changed. My family has bought three pairs of glasses in the last year. I guess Lenscrafter does not care about the customer!

Sep 16, 2011 10:15 pm EDT

Hi I'm Theo with LensCrafters,
I am very sorry to hear you were unhappy with your experience. If you would like to share which store you visited, I'll be happy to address your concerns with the management team. Your feedback is important to us and will be used to help us improve our services. Please feel free to email me with details at [email protected], or call [protected] I'll be happy to assist.

G
3:40 am EDT

LensCrafters - unprofessional doctors

In the past month my husband and I have both had our eyes checked by different doctors at two different Lenscrafters locations in the Chicago suburbs. We both had the same complaint about the doctors. We felt they were both "working in sales" by trying to sell extra unnecessary services and goods to us. We both felt that this was an unethical practice for a doctor to follow. These people are medical professionals and should act as such. I confronted my doctor on this and he sheepishly admitted he did not like the practice but that it was company policy to push such things as sunglasses and expensive photographic eye tests and that doctors had been threatened with termination for not taking part in this practice.

11:12 pm EDT