Jersey Central Power And LightOvercharged

M Review updated:

I was on vacation from June 20 till September 19. Nobody was living at my home. My electricity consumption during that time amounted to the insignificant value of about 6.9 amps, (This was verified by an electrician I hired for that purpose), which if calculated correctly, comes to about 597 KWH per month for the three months of June-July, July-August, and August-September.

My Electric meter was actually read on June 21. The reading was 8465.

On August 19 the meter was finally read and the reading showed 9659.

My actual consumption during the two months period was [protected] = 1194 KWH (or 597 per month).

The Jersey Central Power and Light (JCPL) wrongly assumed that the meter went a full cycle before reaching its final value. They added (due to their erroneous estimates through that time) another 10000 KWH (just about $2000) to the bill.
When calling them for clarification, I was advised that I should get an electrician and find out how it was possible for me to consume so much electricity (according to JCPL I consumed more than if I had been staying in the house and used my AC all of the time) when to my knowledge nobody was using power during the three summer months. The electrician I hired cost me $128.40. JCPL should refund that amount.
On August 19, JCPL changed the meter on my house. I do not know why they did that.

The bill for the month of August 21 to September 21 (on the new meter) was significantly lower than the erroneous bill for June -July, July - August. But, still, it was almost double of what should be expected, due to the fact that nobody was home, and the electricity consumption was still the same, i.e., 6.9 amps on a daily basis, or just about 597 KWH for that period. I do not understand how this is possible. Is it the function of the new meter? or is it another "erroneous" overcharge?

After the gross overcharge I have experienced I find it hard to trust the JCPL billing. It may be true for other customers.

In conclusion - JCPL method for estimating electricity usage rather than actually reading the meter, may have caused overcharges to other customers who failed to understand how their electrical consumption turned up so unrealistically high.

• Fe
    fedup79 Mar 11, 2010

They actually charged me correctly for my first bill with them, then charged me three months' worth of usage for my second bill.

• Sc
    ScarletKnight Jan 14, 2011

I am doing battle with them now. I have lived in my current residence for 3 1/2 months, and they have charged me $550 for service...for a 550 sq ft residence, of which I spend most of my time in one room, and the heat off and door shut in the others. JCP&L is criminal IMHO. Public Service never charged that much, nor do they do a credit check and require a deposit, even if you have good credit. A total disgrace.

• Me
    Mekiri Feb 18, 2014

I move into this apartment size house. The first month the bill was an actual reading and the second month was an estimate. Third month they charged like five times more than the
    previous months. This company is new to me and I believe they are ripping people off!
    They charged me 50.00 on the first and second month. On the third month 378.00??? How could that be?

• Bu
    Bunny bunny hop hop Love May 27, 2017

JCPL is a terrible company that will rob your money and because you have little recourse they have smug attitudes towards customers who pay hard earned money for the electric service probvided and which pays their wages. To make a long story short they charged me a $310 security deposit because I was two weeks late on a bill. I have had the service for 16 years and have never had a shut off and have always paid them. Not saying im paying on the due date every month but I always paid them. [censor]

• Ar
    A Reviewer Dec 16, 2018

I wish there was another company to utilize their service from. This company is led by and staffed with CROOKS and [censored]S. Outrageously charge for an empty house. I need help to fight these [censored].