JCPenney Opticaleye exam cost

I walked in and asked the women if she takes my husbands and my daughters insurance. She said yes so I made 2 eye appts for exams and glasses. After the exams and ordering glasses I was told the Eye Dr does not take insurance but Jcpenney does? What!? So now I am out of pocket for 2 eye exams when I was told they take my insurance. This was the fault of the Jcpenney women that worked there not mine. I want my 2 exam fees back. I was able to get my husbands but not my daughters. I've been calling since it happened. Their appts were Oct 22. I'm still dealing with this. Jcp should have to suck up the cost not me. I pay for health insurance for a reason. I shouldn't be paying out of pocket for eye exams.

• Co
    Coolfire Sep 13, 2017

I requested my appointment with Penny's Optical one week ago. I have used their services for a couple of years. I have no complaints with the optometrist that was working (9/12/17) that day other than I'm not too sure his diagnosis is correct. I had been having flashes of light, a black spot that floats around and lots of cobwebs. He said there was nothing wrong, just a floater! He didn't dilate my eyes so I don't know how he could tell. BUT he was pleasant. After my exam was done, a woman named Lindsey who informed me she was the manager, rang me up but got interrupted by a phone call, and there was a problem with my debit card so we were right in the middle of the transaction. The credit machine just sat there and waited for her to get off of the phone. When she did she reached over and hit the credit button and I realized that the charge was for $65.00. I had declined buying glasses so all I should have been charged was the $10 copay with EyeMed insurance. When I questioned her she said that the optometrist that was filling in for the day was not an authorized EyeMed doctor and that I would have to file on my own for reimbursement. I don't think she was even going to tell me! She said all I had to do was to go on EyeMeds website and fill out the claim form and take a picture of the receipt, submit it and they would reimburse my card. So, I thought ok, that is what I'll do. She told me if I had any trouble with them to call her and she would go to bat for me. When I got home and got on the website for EyeMed the way she told me it works is not exactly like that. I have to print out an out of network claim sheet, fill it out and with a receipt send it to them in the mail. Can't be done online like she told me! Now I am pissed! I don't have a printer and this is a royal pain in the butt! It should be against the law for them not to let us know if their doctor isn't in the network before we use their service. That's the only reason I go to them! I will never go back! This is only a part of the problem. My husband has been going to them for over 5 years. They have charged him an extra $50.00 every time he's had his eyes dilated. He Was told that EyeMed doesnt' pay for that and like the trusting person that he is he just assumed they were telling him the truth. Well it's been 5 years and now its just a little too late for them to do much about it! We will never go back there!

• Ac
    ACopt Feb 18, 2012

The doctor does not work for JCPenney. He is a private doctor - not an employee of JCPenney. Your insurance is YOUR responsibility to know who is in network and who isn't. There are over 1500 insurance plans and many levels on most
    plans. The staff at the optical shop isn't going to know what your plan covers since they don't pay it. YOU DO. Before you go to the next eye exam, look up your plan on the internet and print it out. It will tell you who accepts it and who does NOT. Remember- knowing your insurance coverage is on you- no one else.

• Ac
    Acton Maine Dec 14, 2011

It's the help, they are told which dept their going to work in, I almost went to walmart /same story save a buck good price. the problem is
    the cost of the lens not the frame, i ended up going to a private optometrist/small office and he did a total work up i have insurance too but it still cost me $155 out of pocket. quit smoking, loose weight, get healthy, well if i can't see how am i suppose to work, if i was on mass health, Welfare this would, nt be a problem at all