James Reid/RetiredMail scam

J

I received a letter from PCH stateing I was the third place winner of one million dollars and sent a check for $5, 340.00 and to call Richard Banks. I did and he told me to deposit it and call him back I did and he told me he will call me back. He never did. Extraco Bank held the check for five days. The bank said the check was returned and was charged to my account they change that because the City Financial and Firrst Mass. did not have account on file. Cathy Stewart CFO signed the letter.

James F Reid Nov 02, 2008

I want to know what can be done about it. I been doing bussiness with PCH for over 30 years and I never won a penny from PCH. When PCH said I did it was a scamm. I spent alot of money with PCH and I deserve better then that.

Charles Bastian Apr 14, 2010

Just a piece of advice... Anytime you receive a check in the mail, have the bank verify it BEFORE you deposit it. I receive these checks on occasion and take them to my local Extraco branch. It takes them about 20 minutes to verify the checks (so far they've all been fake). If they are bad, you are not charged for the check, and they forward it on to the FBI so they can try to catch the scammer.
    Unless they actually catch the person who sent you that check, you will never get that money back... At least, that's what I've been told...