Integrated Voice Services And Verizonphone bill scam

D

Because of telephone deregulation Verizon and other phone companies are required to allow 3rd party billing on your phone bill. Other companies are allowed to include charges on your phone bill for email, voice conferencing or other services. However, many business and residential customers are discovering charges they have not authorized. It is difficult to find these charges unless you are very carefully checking your bill. Here in Virginia, Verizon and these 3rd party billers appear to making lots of money billing for these unauthorized services.

Integrated Voice Services of Tampa Florida has been charging my company $7.30 for the last 8 months on my Verizon phone bill. On my bill it says Integrated Voice SVCS on page 3. It is really hard to determine that this is a 3rd party billing on my Verizon bill. I called the company's customer support number and was routed to India. They offered to cancel my service as soon as I called (of course they would because they don't want me to cause a fuss). I am causing a fuss.

I own an IT company and decided to ask some of my customers to check their telephone bills. The very first customer I visited had unauthorized charges from Integrated Voice Services of Tampa Florida. I then asked the business next door to mine to check their bill and they too were being charged as well. The next day I was shopping for furniture and got into a conversation with the owner and yes he had also been charged by the same company. Based on my small sampling I can only imagine how many millions of dollars Integrated Voice Services and Verizon has stolen from honest unsuspecting customers.

I believe this company and Verizon should pay huge penalties for scamming people through their telephone bill. Usually when someone discovers they are being charged for unauthorized services they just complain and have the service canceled. It is your right to have all unauthorized charges refunded to you. Integrated Voice Services will try and tell you that they have a voice recording of someone in your office approving charges. This usually happens after some telemarketer usually from India calls to confirm your information. My advice is to hang up, call your phone company and put a cramming block on your phone bill.

I have contacted the Florida Attorney General's office and filed a complaint with the FTC.

People check your phone bill, there could be a thief lurking there.

• Ji
    Jim from Va Apr 30, 2011

Verizon has just refunded our account 43.80 for the last 6 months of charges from an unauthorized 3rd party charge from Integrated Voice Services. Wow, this is some scam. Thank you for the heads up. I'm located in Chesapeake, Va and will be telling all of my friends to look at there bills.

• Je
    JEGreene May 07, 2011

I just found the same thing on my new business phone number. Fortunately I caught it on the first billing period. My question is why are they still aloud to do this. I have filed a complaint with Maryland Consumer Protection Division.

• Lg
    LGinDC Jun 07, 2011

I found your post after I noticed this on my bill during business hours. I'd seen it before, but only at night when Verizon was closed, and I'd always forget to call in the morning. I spoke to a very nice supervisor, Melissa Scotte at [protected]. She is refunding 16 months of unauthorized service.
    Still, I'm going to report it to the DC Consumer Protection Division, and post it on my very large neighborhood listserve.
    Also, Verizon can block ALL 3rd party billing if you request it. They told me they are unable (not required?) to check the validity of any 3rd party charges. Incredible.

• Os
    ostjohn Jun 07, 2011

My name's Oliver St. John, and I'm working on a story for USA Today on this type of phone scamming. If anyone's been a victim of this scam and would like to help make a big fuss, it would be great if you could contact me at [protected]@usatoday.com

• Ru
    Rugellaw Sep 02, 2011

I've had the same experience with Integrated Voice Services. I receive a 16 page bill from Verizon. If the bill is $7.00 more than usual it is unlikely that a Verizon customer will even notice the increase let alone be able to figure out what the charge is for. I discovered the charge when I called Verizon on another matter and was advised by the Verizon Representative of the third party charge.

• Je
    Jerod Harman Feb 04, 2016

We are being charged $12.95 monthly for unauthorized charges from Integrated Voice Services, and nobody will answer the number or return a call. This is a scam!

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices