Having problems with IKEA?

IKEA reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 1, 2006. The latest review Kooper microwave was posted on May 11, 2021. The latest complaint delivery was resolved on Jul 26, 2017. IKEA has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 282 reviews. IKEA has resolved 59 complaints.

IKEA Customer Service Contacts

8800 234 5566 (Russia)
800 4532 (UAE)
+31 900 235 4532 (Netherlands)
+1 888 888 4532 (United States)
+44 203 645 0015 (United Kingdom)
+61 280 206 641 (Australia)
+43 800 081 100 (Austria)
+32 27 191 922 (Belgium)
+45 70 150 909 (Denmark)
+353 15 413 300 (Ireland)
+351 800 203 020 (Portugal)
+41 848 801 100 (Switzerland)
+852 31 250 888 (Hong Kong)
+966 920 004 532 (Saudi Arabia)
+65 67 866 868 (Singapore)
+82 16 704 532 (South Korea)
+886 412 8869 (Taiwan)
+66 27 087 999 (Thailand)
Olof Palmestraat 1, 2616 LN

1065 Plains Road East, Burlington ON, L7T 4K1

The United Kingdom & Ireland
Kingston Park, Fletton, Peterborough, PE2 9ET

Italy
Strada Provinciale 208 n. 3, 20061 Carugate (MI)

Portugal

Singapore
60 Tampines North Dr 2, Singapore 528764

Thailand
38 Moo 6 Bangna Km. 8 Bangkaew Bangplee Samutprakarn 10540

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with IKEA Customer Service. Initial IKEA complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for IKEA above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about IKEA. Discuss the issues you have had with IKEA and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

IKEA Complaints & Reviews

Ikea Canada, Calgary Alberta — Penalize customers by its pending procedure/ No customer care

IKEA CANADA, CALGARY ALBERTA Penalize customers by its pending procedure/ No customer care Don’t know...

Calgary

Ikea Hosteland Bed — problem with delivery and assembly service

I am very disappointed with ikea service. I had purchased a hosteland queen bed from roundrock ikea store at...

IKEAover 7 weeks delay in delivery, with 3 different days lost at home expecting the furnitures to be delivered. no convincing explanation given

On the 17th of may 2014 we order through ikea france website (http://www.ikea.com/fr/fr/) some pieces of furniture and other objects. nr of order: [protected]. a delivery date was given to us as of the 22/may/2014. on that day, i was not going to be at home due to a business trip. i called and wrote to ikea to change the delivery date and a new date (2/jun/2014) was agreed. on that day, i received a phone call from ikea telling me a delivery could not take place and a new date was given to us: the 13th of june. on that day, i requested permission for my company to work from home, waited all day, but nothing was delivered, although i contacted ikea several times through the day and they reassured delivery would occur. at the end of the day; i called ikea again, and they told me problems with the delivery van and that they could not bring the furniture to my house. a new date was given to us (27/jun/2014). on that day whole process was repeated; again i requested permission for my company to work from home, waited all day and nothing was delivered, even if, on the phone, i was reassured several times that delivery would occur. at the end of the day a final phone-call to ikea produced the same type of response: "there are problems with the delivery today and we were not able to get to you house"; for the third time a new delivery date was agreed, namely the 4/jul/2014. on july 4, i requested permission at work to stay at home (hr authorized it for the last time) and again no delivery occurred. i have electronic copies of all delivery agreements. i also tried to contact the delivery company (www.vir.fr), but it was impossible to talk to them, although i did a large numbers of attempts.
In summary: more than 6 weeks after buying at the ikea website some pieces of furniture and small household objects and after having stayed at home 3 different days, as agreed with ikea, waiting for the delivery, i still have no furniture and don't know how to proceed. i can't request a 4th day off the office at my work and can't cancel the shopping, as it has been already charged. no real help or solution has been provided by ikea france and i feel completely double-crossed by the company. any help with this matter will be appreciated and if there is a way to foreword this complain to ikea france, i would be delighted, as there is no place at ikea’s website to place this type of information.
[protected]@gmail.com

IKEA USA — theft

We spent over $4500 on home furnishings at ikea usa (Plus delivery and assembly). On the day of delivery, a...

Ikea.co.ukbad customer service

I bought glasses and 2 sofas from the website www.ikea.co.uk. I placed the order and paid for it. I received a confirmation email and the tracking number. After several days, my order arrived, but the sofas weren’t the same colour as I ordered, and the 2 glasses were broken. I sent them several emails and asked the online agent for help, but I received only promises. They did nothing. Maybe there are people, who bought from this website and can help me to return money back.

IKEAmattress

Ipurchase a bedroom set from them. I know they are not top of the line because it is throw away furniture and very cheap because they are made in china or somewhere in the far east and because it is always full of asian in the store and they are buying their products. Is ok. But cheat me like this??? Come on. . .
      What happened??? I telll you. I was having a cup of coffee in bed for breakfast and i spilled the coffee on the bed and the mattress got stained. I could not remove the stain. I asked for my money back and nothing. Now i have friends coming over to stay with me and they will see the coffee stain that appears to be urine. Shame on you ikea. Return these cheap mattresses.

IKEA — customer verbal abuse

On the morning of March 11th, 2013, I was expecting a delivery from IKEA to the Jacobs Javits Center...

Ikea / Brimnes Storage Bed — bad service/incorrect details

I just wanted to post my terrible experience at the IKEA Baltimore store. I would include the stores phone...

Ikea / Urban Expresstotal incompetence

The delivery came with parts missing twice and the assembly people didn't show up with scheduled deliveries. The company didn't care and said it was Ikea's fault. Ikea said it was Urban Expresses fault. This is the absolute worst service and a complete rip off. I would never buy furniture from Ikea again and never have Urban Express deliver.

Ikea Manstad Sofabedcustomer service

Over three weeks ago I purchased the Manstad sofabed from the Ikea Emeryville, CA store. I paid $799, 00 for that sofabed plus delivery to my house.

When they delivered the couch I began assembling it and one of the arms wouldn't attach to the rest of the couch. After hours of attempting (I'm very good at assembling) it became clear that there was something wrong. I called their store customer service, filed a complaint and they told me my case would be answered within 48 hours. 5 days later...nothing, not even a call. I called back and they told me they didn't know why that happened, apologized and said someone would be contacting me within the next day. Nothing again, this went on for 3 weeks now, I've called 7 times and have yet to receive a call back or resolution. every time I call, customer service says they either can't contact anyone in the store or the store clerk says they can't do anything about it but will pass it along and call me back within 24 hours.

I got directed to one of the store managers, Felipa, who gave me her number and phone extension, but she NEVER EVER answers it. I work long hours, so going to the store is not an option, especially because I can't carry the couch by myself.

IKEA — return - refund

We purchased a chair and footstool on 5/14/12 drove it home (50 miles btw) took it out of the box and put it...

IKEA — customer service and product quality

As a contractors I could not believe how my customer was treated. First purchase of 7k all substandard...

IKEA — sexual ad

I just saw the new kitchen ad from Ikea. The guy asks the gil if she wants to go upstairs to have sex and the...

IKEAI want people know that they will get over on you

I made a purchase at ikea in february 2009 for maybe 20 or 30 dollars I never received a bill honestly I forgot until 2 months later for 100.00. They claim the bill was sent back but why is it that this bill was recieved for 100.00 and also why did I never receive a phone call after the first month. I believe that there was never a bill sent out purposely so I could accumulate charges. This is actually my second problem with them and I want people know that they will get over on you so be careful when you use your ikea card.

IKEAcustomer service

This is the first time that I’ve ever written a customer review about anything. My experience with Ikea was comically terrible and I felt that writing a review highlighting my experience would give me a small sliver of recourse and hopefully save someone else from the exceptional levels of frustration that can go along with shopping at this retailer.

I bought a bed from Ikea on a Friday that came in two boxes. When I got home, the materials in box 2 very obviously did not fit with the materials with box 1. I called customer service to try to figure out what happened (why materials that were in box 2 were incorrect).
              I spent an hour and 15 minute on the phone with multiple people. I found out that the model of the bed that I’d purchased had an old model and new model – however, the old model boxes were intermingled with the new model boxes on the merchandise floor, with no distinction – this is how I ended up with two incompatible boxes.

The Ikea customer service staff did not seem to hold any power or ability to help to solve their error. They were disconnected from the rest of the business – they could not communicate with the staff at the store or the delivery team when they need to clarify information related to my case. Most frustratingly, they were seemingly completely uninterested in working to fix Ikea’s error - it was more like a line to listen to customer complaints than a way to solve problems.

Ultimately, after significant pushing from me, they agreed to call me back the following day to coordinate a day for the box with the correct material to be delivered. Over the next two days, the call did not come. On the second day after my call, I decided to go back to the store.

I waited 45 minutes in the returns and exchanges line before speaking with anyone. It was 45 minutes only because a man in line with a lower number (we received numbers upon arriving) was exasperated – he gave me his lower number ticket and left in disgust – in hindsight, there is no doubt that I should’ve taken his lead.

When I finally got to the returns and exchanges counter, the attendants were again unempowered and were seemingly making an effort to be unhelpful. In addition, there were not knowledgeable about their products (at least the customer service representatives could understand the old/new model distinction). Ultimately, I was given a receipt and gift card to purchase the correct box 2.

I then went to the merchandise area to get the correct box 2. I waited roughly 20 minutes in line at the checkout counter. Once I got to the clerk at the register, he said that I would not be able to buy box 2 without box 1. For the third time (after the first time on the phone with customer service and the second time at the returns and exchanges counter), I explained what had happened. I showed him the receipt from the returns and exchanges counter (which was time stamped, showing him that I had been there just minutes earlier). He called some sort of authority figure in the store over who then told me that I would have to buy the full bed over again.

At this point, I was appalled at the egregiousness of it all. Rather than lose my temper, which didn’t seem productive (although may have been a little bit cathartic), I left the store. I went directly to another furniture store and bought a bed. I then went home and threw out my partially assembled Ikea bed – it was not worth returning to the store to return the bed – I would rather swallow the cost of the Ikea bed than face the prospect of dealing with such willful unhelpfulness again.

Ikea’s initial error was in faulty inventory stocking. However, the real failures were in (1) their inability or unwillingness to communicate among different parts of the business (customer service, delivery, returns and exchanges, and the checkout registers were all totally unable to communicate with one another) and (2) their unwillingness to work constructively to fix an Ikea error in order to help a customer.
              I would shrug and say that this was an isolated bad experience – but the 45 minute line in the returns and exchanges section, along with people leaving the line in disgust, suggests that my experience is not unique at all. If you are looking for furniture: as a fellow consumer, I strongly suggest that you shop elsewhere to avoid the frustration that can go along with shopping at Ikea.

Kevin
              [protected]

IKEA Costa Mesa — deceptive return policy

We bought an unassembled sofa bed on Aug.09 and have noticed some sort of a defect on the product. It...

Ikea Home Furnishingsfake matress warranty

The 25 year warranty for Ikea Beds is a scam. I purchased a mattress and after 4 years many springs failed. I was told that I had to purchase another matress from Ikea and pay for the matress to be shipping to their main office in Montreal, Canada and then wait for a refund. After 6 months I was informed that Ikea would not honor the warranty and give me a refund.

IKEApoor customer service

On the 12Th of may 2011 I went to Ikea, after picking up all my shopping went to cashier to pay, I found that the young lady was rude and aggressive to the customer as she did not help in any way with the scanner in one hand and the other hand in her pocket telling me to hurry up to move the boxes that she can scan them and also telling me that if Am waiting for her to pick them up I can wait for a very long time as a disable person I could not believe the service I was receiving from Ikea so I decided to live my shopping and call the manager that said that he will investigate the case without receiving any apology I left the store.

sarah11999 Aug 13, 2015

I agree with comments about IKEA's terrible customer service. I was there 2 hours today trying to sort out the fact they sold me a desk when they errr didn't actually have one in stock. What a complete nightmare it all was. I had to go all round the store again to get a refund (waited ages) then go back to the warehouse and wait ages for a different one.

No apology. Appalling.

• Gravitytheseducer May 05, 2012

If you're disabled how were you able to lift up those heavy boxes and put them on your trolley? And how did you plan on getting them into your car? I hate when people play the disabled card when there is nothing wrong with them. It's called laziness and that's not a disability!

• Sd
                      Sdymkowski Oct 14, 2010

I will never purchase another product from Ikea ever again. They have the worst customer service ethics I ever experienced.The product I purchased from there was a bed frame and headboard.They do not tell you that some of the parts you will need are a seperate purchase.It is rediculouse how they do not make an effort to help you load the boxes on your cart even if they are taller than you or even weigh more than you.Good luck if you order anything additional from Ikea such as additional needed parts. It will take forever to recieve and the packaging will come damaged. They do not do anything to compensate either for their poor customer service.

• Lu
                      Lukas hentrich Jul 04, 2010

i didnt have any problems with ikea exept some stuff get broken pretty quickly, the food is really nice

• Ga
                      Gacho Mar 23, 2009

I puchased a as-is sofa from Ikea, the item was dirty but not broken. I had it delivered and it arriived broken. SOmething happened to the sofa from the time I left it for delivery and the time it arrived.
                      over the next 4 days, I spoke to people at Ikea from customer service to managers to customer relations at corporate office, even thought every last one of them agreed that I was in the right, their store policy forbid them from righting the wrong. I understand the policy, but the circumstance is not typical.
                      This is very surprising to me that a company who pride itself on being consumer and enviromentally friendly does not have even one person in the companhy who is authorized to step outside of company policy to right a wrong. In the past years, I spent about $2, 000.00 per year on average at Ikea. I am so disappointed on how they handle this situation that I can not see myself spending any more money there.

• Le
                      Levanah10 Dec 23, 2008

About a year or so ago we bought a 2-pack of 24-hr. light timers at IKEA in Stoughton, MA.

The cost was less than $5.00 for both, so we tossed the package (and the receipt). Who keeps a receipt for a $5.00 item?

Last week one of the timers failed, so we took it to IKEA expecting a quick exchange or credit.

Instead, we got "How do we know you didn't buy this at a flea market?"

My God, what presumptiveness! My wife and I are 60-ish and grey-haired, and we drove a half-hour in rotten weather to return a $2 timer, and the clerk responds as if we're thieves.

So already a bit irate, I asked to see the manager.

What seemed like an inordinate amount of time later -- we were all ready to give up and leave -- the manager appeared.

His line was the same.

I told him that IKEA had lost us as customers, and turned to leave. But then, beginning to steam, I turned back and asked for his and the original clerk's name.

Instead of identifying themselves, they threw us out of the store.

I'd like to note that this IKEA store is essentially empty. Apparently other customers have been treated similarly, and have learned their lesson and now shop elsewhere.

IKEA management should be treating its employees well enough, and hiring employees with sufficient intelligent and self-respect, to treat customers with respect. No customer should ever be accused of being a thief (or the equivalent -- buying a broken component at a flea market and trying to return it).

If IKEA management can't manage to believe that the customer is always right, then they are not going to succeed. All they need do is look to General Motors and Chrysler for a view of their future.

The problem with the timer is a built-in inherent design defect. One of the AC line plug prongs is mounted weakly, and breaks away from contact inside the timer. This will happen to people who use the timer intermittently and thus plug and unplug it often, because each re-insertion puts pressure on the defective internal component. This timer is made in China, and it is distributed exclusively by IKEA. Obviously, IKEA is not going to repair the problem, because they weren't interested in replacing the defective product -- or even hearing of the problem.

Ikea Credit Card — 0% interest it's a lie!!!

Be very careful with the "Ikea credit card" always read the small letters and do not make the same mistake I...

Ikea PAX 23& Wardrobe — pax wardrobe

Warning Ikea does not stand by there 10yr warranty. I have a damage basket for the interior of my PAX 23"...