Hertzhertz roadside assistance

On May 6th 2017, we were travelling from Rome Italy up to Florence. We had just started our day and were about only 15 minutes into our drive and it was roughly 9am. At this point we stopped at a red light and the rental car we had shut off and the engine would not restart. I pushed the car off the busy road and proceeded to contact Hertz Roadside Assistance Italy, as we were in Italy but had rented the vehicle in Germany.
My first issue with the roadside assistance was that when i got in contact with the Italien Roadside assistance they expected me to have an Italien plate and told me that if i had not rented the car in italy they could not help me. At which point they suggested to call the rental agency where i had rented the vehicle from as they would be the ones to help me.
So i called Hertz rental Elisenstrasse 3 Munich, Germany, 80335, and they put me through to the german roadside assistance, by this time it was already about 1030 am as each time i called i was put on hold before talking to a representative. Once i was able to talk to the german roadside assitance his first response was that i needed to call the Italien roadside assistance as he would not be able to assist from germany. So yet again i had to call the italien roadside assistance and was put on hold, only for them to tell me yet again they could not help me. I told them that i talked to my rental agency and german roadside assistance and that they said that the italien roadside assitance had to help me. They said they would check with there supervisor and they came back to me and said they could not help me.
So yet again i had to call the german roadside assistance where i informed him of my issue with the italien roadside assistance. He said he would contact them and inform them that they needed to assist me. At this point it was already 1130am, and i was told just to wait for a bit for them to get ahold of me. I waited for an hour and still had no one from hertz contact me.
At this point it was 1230pm, almost 3.5hrs after my initial call. I then contacted the Italian roadside assistance again only to tell them my problem and then be hung up on. I called back about 10 times and the same thing happened i would tell them my issue and they would say just hold the line and i would be hung up on each time. finally i contacted the German roadside assistance again where he said he had emailed the Italian roadside assistance and that he could no longer help me with anything.

So, this is now 130pm in the afternoon. And Myself, my wife and my 8 year old daughter and 10 month old son are still stranded on the side of the road. As it would seem no one wanted to help us and it did not bother them to keep saying to contact the other countries roadside assistance.

I then called back the Italian roadside assistance once more, and the answer to my question was no they could not help me but i could pay for a tow truck myself to get the vehicle towed to the closest hertz location and then try to sort it out there. At which point I told her to put me through to her supervisor as i was not inclined to purchase my own tow truck to go to a location that would or would possibly not help me.

Once i spoke with the roadside assistance supervisor and told her my issue, she put me on hold for about 30 minutes, and then came back and said yes she would send a tow truck right away, at which point she put me back on hold for 15 minutes. When she got back on the phone she told me that she couldn't send a tow truck as i had a car with German plates and the German roadside assistance would help me. At this point I was very upset and told her i had spoke with both roadside assistance and that they both were passing me off to the other. I told her i was not going to stop contacting them until they helped me as i felt that since i was in Italy the Italian roadside assistance needed to assist me. At which point she put me back on hold and i waited another 15 minutes until she came back and said ok we have a tow truck coming for you now. And they will tow you to the airport and you will be able to change your vehicle. FINALLY~! After 5hrs of trying to convince HERTZ to help me they finally gave in and were going to assist.

We waited for the tow truck for about an hour. he showed up loaded the car and we took off to the airport. Well we got to the location where the tow truck driver was told to drop off the vehicle and it was not a hertz rental agency it was the hertz auto repair shop about 15 minutes away from the closest place for me to get a new vehicle. So i pleaded with the tow truck driver to please take me to the place i could get the new car, all at the same time i had to leave my wife and kids behind with all our bags in the broken car until i came back with the new car.

So i was finally at the airport hertz rental location and they had a car ready for me to take. After all was said and done, it was 515 pm before i was back at the broken car and my family to load up and get on our way to our destination.

I was quite upset with the poor communication between the 2 countries roadside assistance and the lack of protocol as im sure I am not the first person to rent a vehicle from Germany and drive it into Italy.

From this experience i can tell you right not i will never rent another vehicle from Hertz, unless i am reimbursed the total car rental price and i feel like i was completly stranded and put under unnessesary stress on my holiday that could have been avoided if the italien roadside assistance would have helped me right from the start. Not to mention my wife and kids were also put under stress for the same reasons.

I hope that hertz rental corporation will review there roadside assistance policies in Europe as i do not think they are adequate, and if they are they are not communicated with the workers well enough to help out a paying customer if there is a need.