Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fanremote control stopped working!

A

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• Kw
    kward32767 Sep 11, 2014

Had same issue with remote losing "programming" due to turning on/off the wall switch too many times. Followed "Tim Hedrick" instructions above and worked perfectly to restore the programming / connection to the fan! I am going to remove the wall switch as I am sure turning that on / off is the reason the programming gets lost.

• Sh
    Shanita B Aug 24, 2014

Hello I purchased a ceiling fan and within a month the remote no longer works. It does not have a string to pull therefore I'm unable to turn the fan on. This is disappointing and after reading every one else same complaints this seems to be a problem with this product. I wish I had read the reviews prior to purchase.

• Do
    Don't buy this fine Jul 27, 2014

Harbor breeze fans are the worst. I bought this fan 30 days ago and the remote broke down 2 days ago... I am returning it back to lowes... All these complaints on this blog shows how horrible this fan is !!!

• Kc
    kcr35 Jul 16, 2014

Problem-Pro installed ceiling fans, one will no longer respond to the remote when trying to turn on the lights. The other remote works fine, and when the dip switches in the working remote/fan set are set to check the function of the problem fan, it still won't work.
    Synopsis-receiver in the fan/light assembly is bad.

• Ss
    sslink Jan 12, 2014

I just bought 3 Harbor Breeze Portes ceiling fan with light and remote from Lowes. The fans have a remote control that only has 2 combinations. There is one dip switch that you put to either 0 or 1. No access to the receiver in the fan itself. You turn the power off, then back on, and press the Learn button. So when I installed the 3rd fan, I had to duplicate the code. Now when I turn the light on that 3rd fan, the 1st fan light also goes on. WHY in the world would Lowes change the technology from the old remotes with 4 dip switches (giving the user 16 different combinations). Why would they want to limit each household to only buying 2 of these fans ? Whoever came up with this idea should be fired. Does anyone know how I can get the 3rd fan to work without affecting one of the other ones ? Thanks

• Ea
    EarlM Dec 08, 2013

We have 4 of these fans. In the last half year the three that have wireless remotes cannot be controlled by the remote. Batteries were replaced and voltages verified to be ok. Still no improvement. These are the egg shaped remotes that use the A23 12V battery and have dip switches to select the code. Further investigation shows that half of the push buttons no longer work. I verified with a ohmmeter but you can check by pressing any of the buttons and seeing that the Harbor Breeze emblem lights up. The light goes off after a few seconds and you can then press another button to see if it functions and causes the emblem light to glow again. I have found the switches to be anywhere from intermittent to not closing at all even though the give a positive click when the buttons are depressed. I was able to use one of the older Harbor Breeze remotes (that uses 9V batteries) to get one of the fans to work. I am currently trying to clean the switch contacts or combine switches from several of these remotes to get one that has all the buttons that work all the time. I too didn't like that I had to buy a receiver/remote combo to get a replacement. remote and the newer egg shaped remote uses a rolling code type setup instead of the dip switches so you would have to replace the receiver if you went to that remote anyway. Not sure why these switches are so crappy of if it is just the Houston humidity that is crapping them up.

• Gl
    Glenda Ferner Jun 10, 2013

I just purchased my Slinger ceiling fan. I have 12' ceilings so the slinger has plenty of room. It is 72" from tip to tip. It puts out a lot of air even on low speeds. It is beautiful & we love it. I would buy another & recommend it to any one looking for a large fan. We live in Florida so it runs all the time.

• Nj
    N J Watkins Apr 03, 2013

Harbor Breeze purchased 4 24 2012 at Lowe's in Peoria Arizona Universal Ceiling fan and Remote control showing a # 0317998 with 18 W GU24 Base light bulb. This fan has worked well for the time it has been in service
    however today the remote control went out of service Control # KUJCE9805 I replaced the battery and still not service.
    I have been under the thought that Harbor Breeze was a prime fixture. Our older $34.00 fan has been in service for 10 years and still be used as of this date. I will make the trip to the home supply store in the morning and you can bet I will not purchase another Harbor Breeze unit.

• Ro
    Royboy91 Dec 02, 2012

if the Harbor Breese fans are junk from Lowes, why should I buy anything else from Lowe's?

• Bu
    Burke T Nov 18, 2012

Wanted to add our experience to this board, since it was so helpful. Today's date is Nov 17, 2012. We purchased Habor Breeze ceiling fan from Lowes in Dec 2011. About 3 months ago, remote stopped working. Troubleshooting, we determined: 1) we hadn't bump a dip switch 2) remote worked fine, 3) hard-wired power to fan and fan worked fine. Fan model never came with chain pull. Only part left to be malfunctioning was the receiver. We didn't want to have to wait for the delay and hassle of calling Harbor Breeze customer service. (phone # listed in our manual is [protected], though I have seen [protected], & [protected]). So we went to Lowes and explained issue to Customer Service in the lighting section. He directed us to Universal Ceiling Fan & Light Remote Control Kit ($30) by Harbor Breeze, (part# 0379573). He even got us a 50% discount, I think because I talked about the comments on this board. After husband exchange of the parts... fan is working great. No dip switches in this new model, to goof up. We are content with solution. But, like everyone here...it never should have happened. Regards, South Lyon, Michigan

• Ha
    Harbor Breeze2 Sep 09, 2012

My Harbor Breeze Remote has not worked since we bought this house and we tried replacing the battery. Thank you for your post about the dipswitches inside the remote near the battery. It worked to flip the 4th dipswitch back to off since it had been bumped to on position while probably installing a battery. This would explain why others remotes have quit working perhaps after they needed to replace a battery.

• Be
    BertH Aug 23, 2012

I recently bought two Harbor Breeze Crosswinds fans recently. The bulbs that came with each fan are 40 watt and are very very dim. I replaced the lights with 60 watt bulbs and it is better, but you couldn't read under them.
    The second fan I bought, I put the 60 watt bulbs in it and they barely get orange. So, I switched light fixtures and that fan is still barely orange.
    Anybody got any suggestions? Harbor Breeze's website has no contact information at all. Any reasonable company has contact information.
    Bert Hooks

• Ga
    Gary5868 Jul 15, 2012

I purchased a 52 inch hunter breeze ceiling fan from lowes three months ago. Installed it in the master bedroom. One night while the fan was running on high, the blade arm broke in half sending the fan blade shooting across the room leaving a dent in the bedroom wall. Upon inspection I found the blade arms to be made of very cheap and fragile metal.i carried it back to lowes and got a hunter (much better quality) fan. In addition, I have file a compaint with a government consumer safety agency and they are investigating the issue.

Jackie Fox May 15, 2012

I'm in the same boat with the rest of you. Something is wrong with these remotes. Two years ago I purchased a Harbor Breeze kit from Lowes. My brother installed and it worked like a champ ... until about a month ago. The buttons on the remote started to stick. I went back to Lowes and bought another kit. The guy who helped me reminded me to set the dip switches in the remote ( he showed me on my old remote ). I went home and opened up my kit and the remote ... and guess what ... no dip switches. Now what the heck am I supposed to do? While it's true that I only paid $25 for the kit, the receiver end was taken out of it's case and installed in a ceiling light. I DO NOT want to mess with that because it works fine. It's the remote dip switches that are killing me!!! Alas!!!

• Mo
    mouse123080 Mar 20, 2012

I just bought an Harbor Breeze today and it was one of the higher end ones after my boyfriend worked all day we put it up and guess what the remote won't even work the fan will come on when you turn on at the switch on the wall and its brand new. My boyfriend failed to tell me that the fan we had( which the fan wouldn't work but the light would ) was a Harbor Breeze or I wouldn't have bought another one. I am taking this piece of $H!T back to LOWES Im going to get something else or go to Home Depot

• Rm
    rmftd69 Feb 11, 2012

Sorry idiots... I myself have had many harbor breeze fans, all installed myself by the way. they all have done awesome.. no noise what so ever and never any remote problems. Maybe all of you have the same model series and its strictly a problem with that specific one...hard to find bulbs my ### and sounds like a bunch of you have no clue and love to blame ### on someone or something else. Also, are you buying the cheapest model you can??? sometimes you get what you pay for ..I paid 169.00 each for all of mine...

• Ke
    Kevin Sweeney Nov 29, 2011

I have had this fan since August of this year with no complaints. The battery did fail after four months but not completely. The battery is a 12V and when the voltage drops to a certain point the light in the remote will continue to light up and give you the impression there is something else wrong. After trying to pair the remote to the fan with the learn button several times I finally checked the voltage on the remote. It was 9.63 volts. I swapped it with the battery from my garage opener and it works. Bottom line try the battery first, I am very pleased with this fan overall and was waiting to see how the remote held up before purchasing a second fan. I'm going to give it another year before considering the second.

• Gi
    GinaB07 Nov 18, 2011

I haven't seen this one on here yet. My daughter accidently spilled something on our remote. I have noproblem getting a new one, but ever since this happened, the entire unit doesnt work at all! Both fan and lights have pull chains that don't do a thing. Do I have to somehow disable the remote function to be able to operate the fan with the chains? P.S. The remote never worked right to begin with and would randomly turn unit on and off and sometimes not at all, but the unit still always worked using the chains. And yes, the wall switch is on...lol!

• CMRVA Nov 15, 2011

Good fans for the money, however, I too had the remote issue. Actually turned it on after 2 months of use, it smoked a bit and then popped. I re-rigged it so that the fan only needs the remote. Harbor Breeze is a "House brand" of Lowe's made in China probably by the same folks who make name brand units. Stores use house brands for a variety of reasons, cost and the fact that you can't really shop apples to apples for lower price since no one else carries them. Lowe's stores for the most part are among the most accomodating if you have an issue even months later. Some of you should simply try to return and get an exchange; however I understand many of you had them installed professionally and probably don't want to mess with it personally. If the unit is under warranty, ask to speak with the Ops or Store manager, many times they will foot the bill for an installer to replace your unit. Lowe's and Home Depot are in a huge struggle, so both companies want your repeat business.

• Ph
    Phil S. Nov 11, 2011

I just bought TWO Harbor Breeze fans from lowe's and had them installed. Although one clearly was intended for a remote (the receiver box is in the fan housing), it didnt come with a remote. Since I have them both wired to individual wall switches for motor and light, I now see the lack of remote is of no concern. I love the look and they were easy to install. Sorry everyone is having such an issue with their remotes.

• Hu
    Hunter 3-speed ceiling fan Oct 24, 2011

The pullchain on my Harbor Breeze 3-speed fan broke. I removed the wires for the 3-speed hook-up before I bought a repalcement, so I lost the wiring sequence for installing the new switch. The connection sequence is L, 1, 2, 3, 4, but I need to know the color sequence of the wires to find the right connections.

Thamks,
    Bob Gannon
    [email protected]

• St
    stashu Oct 04, 2011

I seem to have better luck with the remotes than most people. I have 3 fans that I bought several years ago. Last year my remotes started dying. I replaced two of the remotes for $30.00 each Last year. Today My third remote quit working, after reading some of the comments, I took the remotes apart, and cleaned the contacts. Now all my old remotes are working again. My biggest complaint is that you can not buy a replacement remote, without also buying a receiver Why should you have to spend $30.00 for a $10.00remote and a $20.00 receiver?

• Ri
    Rick003 Oct 04, 2011

Try new batteries in your remotes! Its not that the remotes are failing, but they do use up a battery in less than a month! Defiantly a design defect.

• Ke
    keyar Sep 29, 2011

I originally posted my complaint about the remote in mid Jun of this year. It worked for a while and then stopped working, this time for ever. So many people have complained about the remote. Does Harbor Breeze even bother to pay any attention to this problem?

• De
    deefromnc Sep 14, 2011

omg i can't believe i am having the same problem WOW. so if you don't have the packaging readily on hand is there a place to find a number to buy a replacement remote? I am looking on here and not seeing it on my remote, I could be over looking. Of course gonna try all the above suggestions but just wondering if they don't work ..my next step is to buy a new remote :-(

• Pa
    pazVerde Aug 02, 2011

I bought my Habor Breeze fan almost a year ago. About a month ago, I started having intermittent remote control issues. It's super annoying not to have any light or air circulation when you need it - like summer nights! Anyway, I called Lowes and they told me that it is a known issue with the receiver units inside the fan. They instructed me to replace the receiver, but that the receivers were on back order. Fortunately, this part has a lifetime warranty, so they'll ship it out to you for free. I asked if it was an identical receiver and to my dismay, the answer is yes. The customer service agent also mentioned that the receivers are known to fail at any time! So much for peace of mind!

• Ti
    Tim Hedrick Jul 02, 2011

Additional suggestion for those of you with the new Aero 52 inch fans whose remotes do not have dip switches but instead have a "learn" button inside them. We bought two of these fans five months ago. The one in our bedroom suddenly stopped working and I assumed that either the control module had failed or worse as the remote's display continued to appear to function normally. Before starting to dismantle things and checking wiring, etc, I simply tried reprogramming the remote in case it had dropped its programming. To do this, open the back of your remote and pull the battery out of the compartment but do not detach it from the power connection. You will see two buttons visible up inside the remote (a white dip switch - don't touch that, and the black "learn" button." Kill the power to your fan using the WALL switch and count to ten before turning power to the fan on using the WALL switch. WITHIN 30 SECONDS of turning power to the fan on at the wall switch, depress the black "learn" button inside the remote for at least three seconds. As soon as the fan begins to turn (hopefully), release the "learn" button. The pairing of your remote and your fan have now been restored (if that was your problem). No idea why our remote decided to drop its programming but it sure beats taking down and replacing a ceiling fan unnecessarily! Don't assume you have to replace your remote simply because the fan stopped responding to it!

• Tr
    trishazop Jun 26, 2011

I purchased 5 pewter aero ceiling fans by Harbor Breeze. They are 2 years 1 month old and 1 of them just quit!! Warranty was for 2 years. I purchased a Harbor Breeze today ceiling fan with model being Elevation # LP8071BN. Good looking too! The first fans that I mentioned are discontinued now. Very disappointed about that as now I have different looking fans. Other wise, I feel Harbor Breeze makes a good fan.

• El
    ElectricalDistributor Jun 21, 2011

I tried cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner first, then tried rubbing alcohol on my remote. It did not work. The "light" button doesn't work. The fan speeds work intermittently. New battery. I freaking hate this fan. It was only three years old, bought from Loewes or Home Depot. I don't remember. I will never buy Harbor Breeze or the parent company's pile of sh*t again.

• Co
    Cowgirl61 Jun 20, 2011

I agree. I have a Harbor Breeze ceiling fan and light currently in my bedroom. The remote is not working. I have called the customer service number listed on the manual and they are no longer in service. Some kind of sophicate line now. I am looking for any information on how to get a new remote. The manual states that the fan and kit have a 30 year warrenty.

• Im
    IM4GIVENANDBLESSED Jun 03, 2011

My husband and I have had the exact same issue with Harbor Breeze 192909! We will NEVER buy another Harbor Breeze fan!!! The fans that I had in my home prior to this one were bought at Walmart 17 years ago and were STILL running when I moved!

• Cr
    crafteed May 29, 2011

I took the advice of one (or 2) of the other posters by disassembling the remotes & cleaning the contacts. All functions work now. Yay! Now...to find out if the bedroom fan will STOP turning on in the middle of the night. Not sure if that's a remote issue or fan issue. One thing I did find on one of the remotes was some corrosion on one of the soldered areas that was NOT a contact. On the same remote, I was able to visually see the residue on the "up light" contact that wasn't working. Have no idea what these remotes have gone thru since we are the 2nd owner of this home.

• Fl
    F. Lau May 16, 2011

I dropped the remote last week and the remote's little red light would come on but the fan didn't respond. New batteries didn't solve the problem and I couldn't see how to safely remove the cover for the wires to see the code. After taking the back off the remote again, I decided to see if my dropping it caused the internal switches to jump.I was gonna try every combo I could. Someone earlier moved #4 ; so that's where i started. I moved it and then... Voila! That did! It's working again. I guess that switch is loose. Good luck.

• Jm
    jmom54 Mar 17, 2011

Obviously the abvoe is not a complaint. We are just asking a question. This seems like the place, we can't find the info anywhere else on the net.

• Jm
    jmom54 Mar 17, 2011

We just bought a 2000 Harbor Breeze New Orleans 52" fan. Anybody know what the asking price was new? We got it at a thrift store for 8.99. It works great, so far. It is beautiful. 6 blades and 5 lights. The blades are reversible, so we reversed them from a more contempory design to the more traditional wood grain. It didn't have a remote but, we don't really need one as it does have the pull chains.

• Gr
    Gregory Hancock Mar 11, 2011

I bought my Harbor Breeze Ceiling Fan in 2000. The fan has only been turned off to clean it or to reverse air flow. I finally have to teplace the remote because the light control button has almost totally stopped working. I have had Casablanca fans in the past and I have found the quality and low noise to be equal. The major difference is the cost. My Casablanca fans cost $600.00 or more and my Harbor Breeze cost $139.00. I thought my remote had died and then I discovered that when I replaced the battery I had moved one of the 5 toggle switches that set the code for the fan. Once I got the toggles switches back in the proper sequence the remote worked like new. I have suggested this brand to friends and clients alike and all have been very pleased with the product.

• Ri
    Rick15 Feb 01, 2011

My Harbor Breeze fan and light comes on all by it's self. I removed the batteries from the remote and it still comes on in the middle if the night. Sometimes just the light. What could be causing this?

• Lw
    Lwill6701 Jan 27, 2011

After readomg throught the numerous texts regarding remotes not working I am glad that I bought replacement fans for both bedrooms that have the Harbor Breeze fans. I checked the dip switches, powered off and for what I spent for pull chain operated fan/light combos think that this was the way to go as the extra $$$ spent will stop the frustration with these fans. We purchased our home almost 2 1/2 years ago and maybe we were fortunate that these remotes and fans were working as long as they did. Fan in my daughter's room is stuck on high speed with no light, fan in son's room does not work at all which has made us have to bring additional lights into his room to brighten it. I don't think I would recommend a remote fan/light to anyone I know.

• Df
    DFWKID Jan 08, 2011

I had the same problem that the remote on our Hampton Bay fan would no longer work. The battery was most likely dead after 2 years. I changed the battery in the remote first but it still would not work. Upon examination by my husband, he found that I had inadvertently moved the switches inside the remote when I inserted the battery which prevented it from "talking" to the fan. He fixed the switches and all is good.

• Lo
    local yokal Nov 26, 2010

My remote simply has two bad switches inside. Took remote apart and if I jumper connectors on switches for the off of the fan and the on/off for light, will work. would like to get just the remote. shouldn't cost mre than about 10-15 dollars. but of course, they want me to buy kit for 35