Hampton Innsecurity

I checked in to the Hampton Inn off of I-35 and parked my truck right across from the entrance lobby with the tailgate up against the fence facing I-35.
During the night my truck was broken in to using a srambling device to unlock my keyless entry system. The thieves took there time and went through every compartment of my truck as if they had nothing to worry about or were tipped off by some one from the hotel.
When I discovered the break-in and went to complain, the front desk clerk informed that they used to have a problem at this hotel and had a security service monitoring the parking lot but stopped it 3 months earlier because the break-ins had quit??

They also had no security cameras or a routine check of the parking area by employees during the night??

When I complained to Hilton?Hampton I was given the standard corporate "BS" on how they are not responsible for vehicles in the parking lot??
When I asked about why they did not require there properties to have at least security cameras for the price of there rooms I never received a reply back??

I was also told that it is my responsibility to take "EVERYTHING" out of my vehicle when I stay at there properties as they are not responsible for anything??
At the prices Hampton charges I would at least expect them to have security cameras? Especially when they knew they had a problem earlier in the year??

CustomerServiceDept Sep 17, 2009

Sounds like they should have never stopped the security. But they are right, they are not responsible. Same as a mall wouldnt be responsible, or a gas station.

Dont like being duped Sep 17, 2009

Oh there you go again! Then why would a place of business bother shoveling snow in the parking lot and de-icing sidewalks in the winter if liablility wasn't an issue. Hmmmmm...it seems as if they had security issues before, the Hampton Inn, this particular Hampton Inn, was put on notice that problems of the vandalism of patrons vehicles staying at the Hampton Inn on Hampton Inn property does occur. Knowing that there was a problem before would make the Hampton responsible and liable for this. They needed to take steps to prevent such things from happening again. It looks like they did at first and then assumed that the problem went away. In this case, it did not and why would it. These thieves sound a bit more professional than your average run in the mill thief- a scrambling device for a keyless lock sounds like a more advanced criminal. Are you sure the Hampton employees aren't breaking in patrons cars? It makes sense if they won't provide appropriate security. Would it not be prudent to notify the patrons explicitly at check in. Even hand them written notice so that they would have prior notification to take steps to make sure this wouldn't happen to them? If I was on a jury, I would have to side with the plaintiff on this one. It is true the Hampton is not responsible for the items in the patrons cars but they are responsible to keep their property, including the parking lot safe. Whatever, it takes- extensive lighting, security personnel, surveillance cameras etc. It's a no brainer and I would be on the phone to my attorney in a heartbeat. This flippant denial of responsibility on the Hamptons part is for the birds. It's simply not true.

• Li
    lilvixen69 Sep 18, 2009

Leaving valuable stuff in your car anywhere is your own responsibility. If you park on the street and your car gets broken into, are you going to go after the city for that? I'm thinking you'd be an idiot to do so.

CustomerServiceDept Sep 18, 2009

I think we should just blame everyone else for our stupidity. Heck are you not sure that the Obama broke into your car. LOL!

Dont like being duped Sep 18, 2009

Oh my! You both must have crawled out from under a rock. What ice age do you come from? Many "idiots", as you refer to them as, do sue the city. I am sure any city, such as the city where I live in, there are many a lawsuit. You can go after the city for a crack in the sidewalk. If you fall and get hurt by tripping on that crack in the sidewalk, the city will be liable. Especially if the city has been notified about the defect in the sidewalk before. Some lawsuits are silly and some get more credence than you would think but it happens.
    You see, it's not the valuable "stuff" in the car that is the issue. It's the fact that the cars are being vandalized and broken into. Since the Hampton Inn owns that property, it would be reasonable to provide adequate security. They are responsible. In my experience, I make sure all my valuables are removed from my car when I go anywhere and I do take care in locking the doors. The patron in this case did lock his car doors but I am not sure what was stolen. It doesn't have to be anything as far as I am concerned-a crime was committed by whomever that broke into the truck. I am not sure what Obama has to do with break ins at the Hampton so I cannot comment on that one.

CustomerServiceDept Sep 19, 2009

What ice age? There was more then one?

Dont like being duped Sep 19, 2009

Scientists say the Earth has had four major ice ages over the past billion years.A Serbian mathematician named Milutin Milankovitch was intrigued by this puzzle of climate change, and in the 1930s he presented a theory that helped explain his theory. Milankovitch studied climate records, noting differences over time. He theorized that global climate change was brought about by regular changes in Earth's axis, tilt, and orbit that altered the planet's relationship to the Sun. This would trigger ice ages. He says there are more (at least 10), ice ages but I didn't count the less severe ones. We are at the tail end of a warming period as we speak. There's more information but I think you get the idea.

CustomerServiceDept Sep 22, 2009

Well in that case, I am from the first one. The other will have to speak for himself.

• Li
    lilvixen69 Oct 01, 2009

I'm from the "Ice Age" where people took responsibility for their own actions and weren't constantly blaming someone else. It's funny how, many years ago, someone would have tripped over a crack in the sidewalk, got up, brushed themselves off and said, "Gee, I must watch my step next time!" In this day and time, people would trip over a hair on the street and lay there screaming, "Oh, my back, my head! Oh, I'm suing!!!"
    It's actually quite disgusting that no one can take responsiblity for their own beings anymore and must blame others for their own stupid mistakes.

• Ar
    Are you Serious? Apr 15, 2010

They are not responisble for the break in, they are however responsible for keeping up with the property. That's the difference. Like with all parking lots, it is your responsibility to make sure all your valuables are removed from your vehicle it is common knowledge. There should have been more security I do agree, but as for the prices, you are paying for the actual room and stay, the cost has nothing to parking.