Goodwill IndustriesUnprofessional behavior

B

Re: Store address 890 Chetco Ave Brookings Oregon 97415
On January 5th I shopped at me local goodwill store as I do every week. I brought a folding lounge chair up to the register to verify a price. The nice cashier agreed to put it out of the way so I could continue to shop as it was too tall for the cart and being only 5 ft tall I could not see over the top and obscured my vision.
I went to continue my shopping and within 5 minutes a cashier named Mandy Hanley came up to me and told me I had to move the item as it was a trip hazard. As this item was completely out of anyone's way I questioned the reasoning. She became very rude and gave me two options. I could buy the item and remove it from the store and then continue shopping, or I could put it in the cart and try to maneuver without running into anyone or anything because of poor visibility. I asked her if I could put a sold sign on it so that I wouldn't have to go in and out of the store and make two separate transactions. She refused and wouldn't even discuss any options(glad I didn't buy a couch).
This was so ridiculous so I asked to speak to the manager Sunny Martinez. I explained the situation to him and he immediately agreed with me and said there would be no problem carrying a tag to show it sold. She gave him quite the look and he immediately changed and said "we cant do that". I was baffled. There were trip hazards all over the store. They wanted to to go around the store with poor visibility which is a worse hazard. I pointed this out and I was told to leave the store. I was pretty worked up by then. The whole situation was so unnecessary and the inability of this employee to even try to resolve the issue was astounding. I have never had treatment like this and I have shopped and donated to goodwill for 40 years.
I retrieved my camera at this time to take photos and the manger Sunny Martinez immediately got on the phone to call the police I assume. I was repeatedly asked to leave the store.
I am probably banned from my favorite shopping store because I pointed out something that should have been common sense in any customer service transaction. I have included a few photos of the trip hazards that were in the store at that time and a photo of the counter area where the folding chair was leaned up against(after she put it back and told me leave). The register was closed and there was more than enough room to have this item sit for ten minutes. There are many disabled people who shop in these stores and struggle with large items in the carts. Most rows are not wide enough for two carts to pass.
I would hope that some customer service training would be available to these employees in the future. I would also hope that because of this experience I won't be banned from an organization that I have supported for decades.

Sincerely