Having problems with Global Tel Link?

Global Tel Link reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Jan 4, 2008. The latest review Inmate phone account was posted on Sep 25, 2021. The latest complaint Video calls to inmates was resolved on Dec 28, 2014. Global Tel Link has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 106 reviews. Global Tel Link has resolved 37 complaints.

Global Tel Link Customer Service Contacts

3120 Fairview Park Dr., Ste 300
Falls Church, Virginia
United States - 22042-4570

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Global Tel Link Customer Service. Initial Global Tel Link complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Global Tel Link above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Global Tel Link. Discuss the issues you have had with Global Tel Link and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Global Tel Link Complaints & Reviews, Page 2

Global Tel LinkInternational call.

Iam a customer of globel telelink about 4-5 years.but they take money from my account and promise for one year unlimited for one year.(july-2015 to July2016 ) so my minutes now nearly finish.when I call globel tele link they told agent is gone he was a fraud.What I can do further.

Global Tel LinkGenesis Inspire Tablet

The Pennsylvania State Correctional System has a deal with Global Tel Link to provide Genesis Inspire Tablets to inmates who can afford to purchase one. They are really pieces of junk. I know a few inmates and every one has had problems and have had them sent back at least once. The prices are too high for what the inmates get and the price for songs is outrageous compared to the open market. I have a son who is in the Albion State Correctional Institution at Albion, PA. I gave him the money to purchase the tablet. In no time it had to be returned for problems. He called me tonight - Tuesday January 12, 2015 telling me that this tablet has the same problem as before and he reported it on December 31, 2015. As of today he has not received any response. My guess is they want to wait until the warranty is up and then don't want to fix the problem. Again the cost for the tablets - for what they get - and the cost for downloading songs is not competitive with the outside world. The inmate in question is Brian K. Benner JC-9295. If this is not resolved, I will take the same course as many did before when they were over charging the inmates for phone service. The rates are less that 1/5 what they were before with a new company. I understand that the FCC had to get involved. Since I provide most of the support for Brian, I do believe I have the right to make a formal complaint. I expect to get a response and I expect his tablet be fixed or better yet replaced with a new one.

GTL (Global Tel Link)Prepaid phone call

First of all they are a rip off. When I first went through them they told me each collect call that I received would cost $1.95 per phone call. The duration of the call would be for as long as the correctional facility would allow each inmate to talk. So, did you know they charge you $2.30 per call? You get charged tax and a fee on each call they say are only $1.95. Also, whenever you add money to your account and the minimum is $25.00 they deduct $9.00 for a fee. I usually use a visa debit charge card to pay over the phone. So, if you pay $25.00 you only get about $16.00 to use on you account. They never tell you about these hidden fees. They told me if I don't want to get charged a $9.00 fee, then I will need to mail my payment which will take 10 business days before it is received. But the additional .35¢ added to each call still will remain. Now, how does this save families money.

GTL (Global Tel Link)Fraudulent practices

GTL is a fraud company that overcharges inmate families for a calls. The calls often drop causing the inmate to use up more money than necessary. Their billing practices are fraudulent and the charges for taxes is more than the government should allow. When GTL took over, they could not explain why there was about 30.00 missing and did not want to provide any additional information. Please call our bank to dispute this matter and force them to pay you back. I detest (loathe) this company.

Respond

GTLTaking money from account without even asking.

I was suddenly charged with around 560 nrk without asking me at all. The sales lady I talked with . I told her her I dont have time to talk. She had also promiosed that the wont haress me for one year. But when I check my bank account money has been trasfered. never give the cheaters your cvc number. she asked and begged for it and I thought she might be a honest one. I have used there services almost 12 year and its never happened before. But nice talk does not help. First she asked me to refill as it was her birthday. later this one. I have cancelled my visa ans changed it. I will never ever again give my cvc nunber no matter how they cry. they are now on cheaters list. I have stopped using glabal hello and ceta phone of same reasons. Indian are and always will remain cheaters. they never care for customer care and do what they want. So dont trusdt them anymore pls. Its all a fraud.

GTLShady business practices

I have spent $5, 000, yes $5, 000 in the past 4-5 months to speak with my husband, global tel charges outrageous prices, then purposely drops calls so you have to pay the additional connect fee and taxes for each call whether it is 1 min or 60, they place blocks on your phone for no reason, then you spend hours or days arguing with poorly trained individuals, don't get me wrong there has been a few great representatives but that's few and far between, I have even gotten a cell phone with a local number to the facility he is housed and they still charge a connect fee, a per min fee & taxes on top of it all, I argued w/ a representative today for 20 mins begging for her supervisor which she refused to give me, stating they would have to call me back within 24-48 hours but my phone would be blocked in the mean time, I have had 5 or 6 different numbers trying to get a better rate but they still charge outrageous prices, they get away with shady business practices because they are a monopoly in this field, they gouge prices and do what they want because they can, someone needs to put a stop to this, yes someone may be incarcerated but the family gets punished enough, some people can't even speak to their loved ones because their prices are so ridiculous, just because a person is incarcerated doesn't mean the family should be made to suffer even more, their mothers, fathers, spouses and children should be able to hear from their loved one

Global Tel Link — Line blocked

As of july 30, 2015 our phone service with our loved ones was abruptly blocked with no forewarning. Global...

Global Tel LinkIncorrect Billing

I have been charged NC collect rates at $3.40+tax for more than 120 calls that should be charged $3.15+tax per the NC DPS website Inmate Telephone System section. I have paid the $4.75 service fee 18 times, but paid $7.95 3 times. I have paid full (yet incorrect) price for 7 calls less than 5 minutes each, including a 2 second call that was a busy signal, that should be refunded per the Q&A Help section of the GTL website, as my phone is not a cell phone. I have been told by GTL that my billing will not be researched, and that I will not receive any credit on my account, ever.

7 Responses
                • Sh
                  Shirley A Dec 08, 2013

This place ripped me off.
                  I paid them money and still can't accept the calls. It is FRAUD!!

chriscalhoun Nov 05, 2013

i made a new account and have been unable to accept any calls from my boyfriend in prison when i call to complain i get a bunch of excuses and no results i have paisd tobe able to talk and expect to be able to accept his calls.

• Ov
                  over the edge Aug 28, 2011

I keep getting calls from Global Tel Link that wont stop and have not figured out a way to get it to stop. I follow the instructions to block the calls and then get disconnected after waiting for 15 minutes.

• Mi
                  Michigangal30 Mar 30, 2010

Hi. If you are still talking to this lawyer please contact me at [email protected] as I also have a story as many others do.. Thanks

• Je
                  jersygrl1969 Oct 19, 2009

leave it to the ###s at the DOC to figure out a way to bilk money from inmate's loved ones.

• Pa
                  Paula1 Oct 19, 2009

Hi my name is Paula and I would like to put together a group of us to file a complaint to the FCC and would like to bring itto the attention of the media. This company preys on vulnerable people in desperate situations and needs to be delt with. I contacted a lawyer and he is willing to take the case.

• Cy
                  Cyara Mar 13, 2009

Got three calls today saying an inmate has been trying to contact me. Liars. I won't talk to a inmate and sure won't pay to talk to one.

Global Tel LinkNo refunds and drop calls for no reason

Global tel link has a phone directory for inmates to be able to call home rather by house phone or cell phone calls. Global tel link call policy is made not to. Give rufunds for any cellphone dropped calls three way calling and or any other reason due to high volume called through cellphones. Their are over a million people who have family and friends within the jail system and have kids. The phone is also made as a privilege to inmates, they are the ones being punished does the family and friends have to suffer as well. The calls are at $3. 22 minimum of $25 dollars a day, not including plus $4. 95 activation. People not only have to buy cards get a ride or drive to get a debit card buy the card in which have to load it activate call global tel link when the whole process takes two hours or more. In this whole time your ffriend family member whatever daughter mother sister brother dad etc; could be trying to call or don't think to call because they think family forgot about them or just know how much everything cost and know they feel so confined don't wanna put the friends and family through the hassle. The complaint is for me and so many others people do not know where to go to receive help not only about refunds for our calls, or feeling ripped off when it's bad enough if they do the crime they already serving their time, and yet still no room for change, and acceptance so will and can. The people who don't know where they can to start a compliant, i will send them here first, i only hope people are not to scared to take action take a stand do this for your family for yourself and put a stop to the high cost of global tel link connect network calls, not because we don't understand the privilege or that doing something wrong can affect people with you and around you, but frankly their are inmates and people inconclusively willing to change, if someone starts by helping now please people help. Me take action post everywhere put in complaints for our jail system to the white house and also complaints here through this review board and any other rssources. It'll only take a free minutes of our time to get our point across. Thank you

chynn93 Jul 15, 2015

I would like to boycott this fraudelent company and I am seeking ways to do it.
                    They are using illegal tatics to avoid refunding me for an amount by having my account in negative standings of the amount in question.

More than likely they are assuming that I dont have another way to have conatact with my love one so they think that I will pay the negative balance. What a bunch of crooks.

Global Tel Linkterrible phone service

Calls from Inmate in correctional facility are not going through. When I call their center to report the problem, I get the same answer. The people are very nice about it, but I keep getting told my account is inactive or needs to be reset. Some tell me I need to let the phone ring more times, or that my phone company is blocking the call. None of this is true. They just have crappy connections from point A to point B. Unfortunately, they are the only game in town to get calls from the inmates, so we are kinda screwed on this. It is very frustrating. I urge anyone else with this problem to file complaint with FCC and Better Business Bureau. and the department of corrections in their state.
                  Thank you.

GTLVideo calls to inmates

Their network fails all the time and on Christmas Eve all the video conference which cost $10 each did not work. When you call to complain they say it is on your end which is wrong since the error message even said their network was down and all the inmates had the same issue who were in the room taking video calls. contacted their customer service and they said it was on my end which was incorrect and they don't want to refund the money.. This has happened numerous times with. Bot the video and the phone class. Usually get cut off and they refuse to refund the money. This is a huge scam. I wonder how many people have been ripped off and they will not issue refunds.

• Bi
                        Bill Tollison Apr 28, 2008

The store manager at the local Bi-Lo Grocery Store took a payment from me to be applied to an Inmate telephone bill. He chose the incorect code city and payment has disappeared with no record. Global tel link and Bi L0 has been no help.

Global Tel LinkNo Refund and Poor Service Connections

We have had to use GTL phones and services off and on for the last 2 years. At first, the collect calls from prison came through our local telephone provider, but shortly thereafter, GTL put a freeze on our communications until we paid them for the privilege to use their services instead of our local company. The calls are expensive, furthermore, you cannot clearly hear from their phones (Penn Pavilion, New Brighton, PA) if you are lucky enough that the phone calls get disconnected prior to the 15 minutes you are alloted to talk. If you call to report the poor phone connections, it doesn't matter, they can't and won't help you or even consider a refund. The phones have not been fixed there for years. Does the prison system get a cut of the phone funds or is this just legalizing theft of services?
                      The billing statements are not correct and you cannot keep them straight, since they change when you request a billing history. The "doctored" statements vary from time to time.
                      Months ago, we requested a refund. Last month, we demanded our $100.00 back and have not received anything yet. I called today, (8-29-12) and GTL's rep says that a Western Union Credit Card was mailed out 8-17-12. I asked about the card and there are fees that apply if you use it. Who gets those fees, Western Union or GTL? Why do we have to pay fees to get our full amount refunded to us?
                      Isn't the irony blatant...GTL provides telephone service for prisoners and their families, yet they are the THIEVES who are PROTECTED by the government and Department of Corrections.
                      One last suggestion...CLASS ACTION SUIT.

Global Tel-link Jail Calls — Price Gouge &EXTORTION&

It is appalling to me how some State wide companies can cost us so much. Global Tel-link is a rip off. They...

Castaic

Global Tel Link — can't get refund

i have been trying to close my account since my nephew was released from county jail. i called 3 different...

Global Tel LinkOver charge on debit card

On 4/10/12 I allowed a friend to use my debit card to put time on on her phone to talk to her boyfriend in prison. My card was double charged fot a $25 depsit, totalling $50. When I tried to call to have it corrected on 4/18/ they charged another $25. When I finally got a person on the phone, I was promised a full refund of all $75 plus reimbursement of the $32 NSF fee I received. Good thing I disputed the charges with my bank, because I never received 12anything from them and now cannot get through to anyone!

Global Tel* LinkONLINE PAYMENT

FOR THE LAST SIX MONTHS I HAVE BEEN MAKING $20 - $25 PAYMENTS TO MY ACCOUNT PER WEEK ON LINE WITH DEBIT CARD. SATURDAY, APRIL 28, 2012, I DID AS USUAL, MADE A $20 PAYMENT. WHEN I HIT "SUBMIT" MY SCREEN FLASHED RAPIDLY AND THEN CONFIRMATION CAME UP INDICATING I HAD MADE A "****$200 PAYMENT****". WOW!!! WHEN I WENT TO PRINT THE CONFIRMATION IT WOULD NOT LET ME. I HAD TO WAIT UNTIL MONDAY TO CALL. AFTER SPEAKING WITH 4 CSR's TO SUPERVISORS AND BEING ON HOLD FOR 15+ MINUTES EACH TIME (CALL TOOK OVER 1 1/2 HOURS), I WAS TOLD THEY WOULD NOT REFUND MY MONEY...BUT THEY COULD ONLY TO FREEZE ALL COLLECT CALLS FOR 30 TO 60 DAYS.

SO CONSIDERING HOW THIS HAS OCCURED, I REALLY THINK THE PERSON OR GROUP THAT IS IN CHARGE NEEDS TO STEP UP TO THE PLATE INSTEAD OF THESE PEOPLE WHO HAVE TO LIE TO HONEST HARD WORKING PEOPLE BECAUSE OF A SO CALLED "POLICY".

THIS IS REALLY CROOKED!!!

IT'S SAD THAT A COMPANY HAS SET UP THEIR ONLINE PAYMENT SYSTEM TO TAKE MORE MONEY THAN WHAT THE CUSTOMER IS PAYING AND THEN HAS AN EXCUSE AS TO WHY THEY CAN'T GIVE IT BACK TO YOU.

ONE DAY MAYBE GLOBAL TEL*LINK WILL HAVE TO ANSWER FOR THEIR WRONG DOING.

• Br
                              Brock Dalton Apr 30, 2012

Dear Customer,
                              What facility was the payment intended for and what is your phone number? We will attempt to track down the problem. Global Tel*Link.

Global Tel Link — lost money

i purchased a prepaid card and loaded it with $50 and global tel link declined it then i brought another card...

Global Tel LinkSCAM/RIP OFF

IM AN AUSTRALIAN, MY FRIEND KEEPS TRYING TO CALL ME COLLECT FROM M.C.S.P. (IONE) BUT CAN'T EVER GET THROUGH, GLOBAL TEL LINK PLAYS A MESSAGE SAYING THAT THERE'S A BLOCK ON MY HOME PHONE OVER AN UNPAID BILL!!! WE DON'T EVEN HAVE GLOBAL TEL LINK IN AUSTRALIA! IV'E NEVER HAD ANYTHING TO DO WITH THEM BEFORE...NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THEM! SO MY FRIEND CAN'T CALL ME! WHENEVER I EMAIL THEM, THEY NEVER ANSWER ME, THEY ALWAYS PUT ME ON HOLD & I HANG UP AFTER 20 MINS! HAS ANYONE HAD THIS ABSOLUTE ### HAPPEN TO THEM BEFORE? ANY SUGGESTIONS? GLOBAL TEL LINK= HERE'S A MASSIVE f**** YOU..ALL THE WAY FROM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA...

• Sh
                                Shaun Bradford Apr 20, 2012

I have prepaid 50 $ and when my friend calls it don't even show up that they call and tells her that phone is busy witch is crap because I'm never on it so I never get the call and have paid them money I call global tell link and they say that nothing is wrong with it but it still don't work and that after 90 days the money will be gone and when it did work you get 3 call for like 8 min and it cost 25 $. There taking advantage of people because that's the only way they could call.

Global Tel LinkWhat is the deal here

Our grandson calls us collect several times a month and the facility he calls from uses Global Tel Link. We use AT&T for our long distance carrier and pay our bill monthly. Global Tel Link tells us their company policy is to bill the party directly when charges are $100 or more. Our phone company always accepts our payment. What is the deal here? They say their charges won't be any more than AT&T would charge. I doubt that or why are they insisting to bill us themselves? Or are they getting a cut somewhere along the line for heavy usage at the consumers expense or inconvenience of having to pay another bill? Someone should look into this.

Global Tel LinkStill waiting refund after 1 month

I have been calling this company for a refund of $20.00 for the past month and all I get is excuses like; company is slow not enough people or Oh you wanted a refund?? I am sick and tired of waiting for my money. They are a rip off you give them $25.00 and when you can;t use them they only refund $20.00. We should be allowed to charge this scam company interest. Please help if you can and get my $20.00 back. Thank you Miss J0Anna Patti

3 Responses
                                  • Ad
                                    addie ward Apr 15, 2013

I have called twice about a $40.00 (FORTY ) dollars refund since February 2013 due me when the AL Prison changed their new exchange and was told to expect the refund within 7 to ten days. WELL, two months have passedd and no refund. II ex[ect to hear wtihin one week from today (April 15, 2013 before the BBB is informed...Addir Ward Montgomery, AL [protected] old Castle Place <, I expect a response.

• Wf
                                    W.Frederick May 23, 2012

OMG I am waiting myself for a refund. It should have been for $12.03, but Global said there is a $5.00 refund fee. WTF So they said the refund would be $7.03. So I said well send it. They acted like I was going to say nevermind. SCAMMERS, AND HEARTLESS CONSIDERING HOW THEY ARE POCKETING OUR MONEY!

• Re
                                    reallymadcostomer Jul 13, 2011

i have been waiting over a month and a half, first they tell me it will be returned in 7 to 10 bussiness days, so i wait 3 weeks go by i call back and the tell me there a little behind it takes 2 to 3 weeks. so i wait some more i call back after a motnh and half ant they tell me my refund would be 80 dollars and something cent when i first called for the refund it was for to whole 100 dollars, i still dont have any type of refund, put 100 on the phone in cause family tried to call while they were in jail they never did and out, now i cant get my money back