Georgia Department of LaborUnemployment insurance benefit fraud

N Nov 20, 2020

On Friday July 25, 2020 I was going though my mail. The last letter was addressed to me but it was from Georgia Department of Labor. It seemed very strange as I have never worked in Georgia.. Never been to Georgia and I have never even lived in Georgia. I reside in New York and have lived here for almost 25yrs (previously residing in Minnesota) and I haven't worked for over 15yrs. I had to retire as I am disabled. As I was sitting and looking over the letter I became shook up.. and way beyond being shook up.. I was trembling. Not only was this letter for Unemployment Insurance Benefits I supposedly filed for but in the upper left corner was the last 4 digits of my Social Security Number with the 1st 5 digits x-ed out. I have tried contacting the Georgia Department of Labor and have yet to receive any reply! This isn't the only Department of Labor I have received a letter for another Claim for Unemployment Insurance Benefits I supposedly filed but this one came from Albany New York. Same wording and again the last 4 digits of my Social Security Number. I received a letter towards end of October stating they believe someone recently filed and used my identity. They have turned it over to Law Enforcement. I would appreciate someone look into this matter ASAP! I still have the letter. If needed I could possibly email message it to you!

• Updated by NedLou · Nov 20, 2020

How is possible for someone to file a Unemployment Insurance Benefits Claim with using someone else's credentials? (identity) I know and realize I'm not the first person who has ever had their credentials (identity) stolen and I won't be the last. Doesn't employment offices check a person's Drivers License and/or State issued ID card match up to their Social Security Card? When I was an employee at our employment office several years ago we always had to verify by making sure everything matched!