General Electric Logo

General Electric

Having problems with General Electric?

+1 800 626 2005 (Appliance Shopping)
+1 877 959 8688 (Parts & Filters)
+1 800 432 2737 (Service & Repair)
+1 800 435 4448 (Lighting Customer Service)
+1 518 385 2211 (GE Power)
+1 281 448 4410 (Oil and Gas)
+1 678 844 6000 (Energy Management)
+1 860 747 7111 (Industrial Solutions)
+1 262 544 3011 (GE Healthcare)
+1 877 207 0923 (Small Appliances/Housewares)
+1 877 394 9775 (Telephones)
+1 800 654 8483 (Consumer Electronic Accessories)
+1 800 730 6597 (Cameras)
+1 888 575 8226 (Home Generators)
+1 617 443 3000 (Headquarters)
3135 Easton Turnpike
Fairfield, Connecticut

Complaints & Reviews

the whole thing is a scam

We used to have GE extended warranties for all our appliances. It used to be a good value. I even got a dead fridge replaced for shipping costs. Then, recently, I needed a repair, and found out I could no longer schedule it online, but had to call an 800 number and talk to someone not in this country. The next repair I had (OK, I confess, I will never buy another GE appliance, but I am keeping the ones I have till they die), the man in the other country (someplace where they speak Spanish) told me he could not find my contract, they would put a work order on it, and to call back in 48 hours. Well, I had paid for the warranty, I wanted the repair, my appliance was broken, but I couldn’t get any service. And, of course, they never called back. Eventually I got a supervisor, after days of calling. The supervisor said they had my warranty, but there were no providers in my area. I still naively thought I was with GE, and I knew there were many GE service people in my area -- I live in DC metro, so to tell me there are no providers in my area is beyond ridiculous. I got the “call back in 48 hours” routine from them, at which point I pressed a little harder, and found out that they were no longer GE, but another company entirely, who had decided to cut their costs and NOT use high quality technicians, but whatever cheap contract labor they could find. They promised to get back to me, but before they had called me back some 6 days later, I had gotten in touch with GE, got a GE technician out, who immediately fixed the appliance. Then I began the long, hard journey of trying to get a refund on all my extended warranties (I had 5). Although I had two months on 4 of them and 6 months on one of them, my eventual refund, after hours of phone calls and several letters and e-mails, was about $10.60. When I called, they told me that was because I had actually used the warranty services several times for service calls! GE tells me that when they sold their warranty services to Assurant, they assumed that Assurant would continue using their technicians. Well, like they say, to ###-ume makes an ### out of u and me. To make it even more flagrant, I continued to get warranty sales pitches from these people in the mail, claiming it was GE warranty protection, with GE service, that would give me peace of mind. There was no fine print telling me that this was NOT GE service. I have kept these notices and all my correspondence, but it only makes me angry. They took my money, and they cheated me. I am NEVER buying a GE appliance again, and I am NEVER buying warranty service because it can apparently be sold at the drop of a hat to people who are not in your area (let alone the USA), who have no clue about what is going on, who are paid to read from a script they really don’t understand. I live within 15 miles of the nation’s capital, millions of people around us, and these folks in some country hundreds of miles away tell me there are no service providers in my area and I need to wait 48 hours before they can find someone? And I get someone 5 minutes later on my own, paying real dollars? Give me a break. DO NOT TRUST GE WARRANTIES!!! The whole thing is a scam!!!

awful quality products

I recently bought a GE washing machine, Model #WPRE6150K2WT, that has an infusor, not a full agitator. The napkins I put in remained folded and full of food for the duration of the wash/rinse/spin cycles, and my husband's handkerchiefs were still folded and dirty. I am trading it for another GE that does have a full-sized agitator. The machines with infusors do not fill over 1/3 the way with water, so your clothes are just wet and rubbing against each other, but don't have the room to spread out and get clean in my opinion.

• Valerie Oct 06, 2008

1. We found that our fancy side freezer refrigerator was recalled. This happened after 6 years old refrigerator started having problems: frost and melting ice from the freezer and eventually stopped freezing at all.

2. GE told us that they can give us credit towards the new one just for us to find out that the new one with a credit will be more expensive than to buy similar non GE one from Home depot.

3. We thought we were lucky that we had maintenance contract - $170 value. The technician told us that this refrigerator was recalled and must be changed for the new one anyway. We got a new similar refrigerator and get a frost in the freezer in about two months later.

4. To get a new refrigerator with a problem we had to take at least 3 days off from work and spend numerous hours on the phone with customer service.

They canceled our warranty we bought for the old one and we received only one year total on the new one. All our demands to extend the warranty to the new refrigerator for the time left on the old contract we payed for were denied.

5. Now we had to schedule another call from GE to fix the new refrigerator. Per Our previous experience with the old refrigerator we knew they never call, and if they do they never come at the time they can be expected.

6. Call support gives you 4 hours window during the week or 8 hours on the weekend and promise to give you a call before the technician comes.

We scheduled service call at least 2 times, but never had a chance to receive a service. Two times the technician did not call us 1 hour in advance as we were promised by the customer service. One time they schedule a call without letting us know.

All and all if you have a life beside your refrigerator think twice before you BUY it from GE, or if you do be prepared to a long battle.

Glass Microwave tray broke in two while heating food

GE Spacesaver microwave, MODEL JVM1870SF2 Glass Microwave tray broke in two while heating food! Unit is about 4 years new. Ordering one from GE is about $100! Still paid $50 from third-party. Amazing. I've used more variety of GE medical products than probably anyone in US, because of my diverse medical training: Diagnostic ultrasound; MRI scanners; CT scanners; general xray; specialized IR, and Cardiac c-arm machines. GE currently cannot repair problems on my cardiac equipment at a major hospital for one year now. As a consumer, every company out there makes junk. Part of the bigger problem is us. We've been programmed to expect less, after years of using Chinese-infused products. Glass microwave plates breaking when being heated? What did the engineers think it was going to be used for? $100 for replacement. Pyrex glass bowls (same thing) cost $5.87 at Walmart, and they use more glass. C'mon GE...I'm obviously a brilliant person to use all those medical devices and my opinion counts bigtime. $100 for something which should have been manufactured to withstand heat of a microwave oven. $50 was bad enough for a product that was probably made in a sweatshop, in some smog-filled Chinese city without safety or QC. The sad part is that both trays probably come from the same Chinese factory; the ones with the GE logo on the box costing twice as much.

adora dishwasher won't clean - poor service

Cleaned well for 2+ years and suddenly started leaving film, grease, particles, you name it. Tried everything in troublshooting to no avail. Even upgraded detergent etc. Nothing. Called on extended service plan. Service man said filter was clogged by a KERNAL. Yeah. Ok. Said it's customer's responsibility to clean that out (though it's not in the manual and if I should break something taking it all apart, it would be my responsibility, right?). He had to order a part just so the visit would be covered under my contract (nice of him). Of course, the problem persisted and I am now on the phone with them again. They reiterated the troubleshooting and asked me to "try again" and call back if it didn't work instead of scheduling a visit. I asked to speak to the supervisor who apparently instructed the service rep with all this and I've been waiting for 30 minutes now!!! HORRIBLE. Looking this appliance up online, it seems I've been completely had by G.E. and it's "lemon".

After using it only three times it broke

Three weeks ago I purchased a GE blender. It was the most expensive blender on the shelf($70). I thought I was getting a quality product. After using it only three times it broke. I returned it and exchanged for another GE blender. I had to get the step down this time. After using it 6 times the piece that turns the blade broke. I feel if you are going to put a product out it should work. I am a working mom with two kids and I don't have the time to be running to the store to exchange your products. Send me something that WORKS!!!

• Do
    Donna H. R. Jun 21, 2010

I bought a GE Blender from Wal Mart ; it's only been used to mix smoothies and make bread crumbs. The last 2 times, I can smell ' wires burning ' almost immediately.
    I am returning it today for fear of shock or fire. This was not an inexpensive blender so, I don't get it !

I see GE has allot of complaints about their other products; check before purchasing.
    D.R. Georgia

ge washer gbvh5140hww failed after 2 years

Bought a GE Front Load washer two years ago. The warranty has expired and the main circuit board on the unit has failed. The service technician says it will cost $493.00 to replace it. I opted to pay him $84.00 for the service call and decided to replace the entire unit with something other than GE. I highly suggest avoiding GE and GE Profile appliances, they are not reliable.

GEAppliances Feb 05, 2010

This is Megan from GE. Sorry to hear about the problems with your washing machine. If you would like me to research the issue, please email me the details at [email protected]

• Ad
    Adam Simpson Feb 26, 2010

GE was nice enough to contact me and agree that it was unusual for the inverter to fail (which is what the service technician said). Megan said she would mail me a check for the cost of the part which I used to repair the machine and now its working. Thanks GE.

• Ki
    Kimberley Pellerin Apr 04, 2013

I bought a GE washer GBVH5140HWW 5 years ago. The washer tanks are broken
    cause by a part between two tanks. Answer to my problem: $850 in parts and $150 in repair ??!!! This is crasy... I need GE's help on this. How come I have to pay for something like that ???

• Di
    Diggers Jan 07, 2015

Hi I have a front load and on the spin cycle I smell smoke can't figure out what wrong I tried turning the speed down but still smells like smoke what could it be help pls

• Ic
    Iccarb Jan 11, 2015

I have a GBVH5140HWW model front load washer when I do a load of laundry I smell burnt something and see smoke when i open the door after the load is done. Please direct me to how I can get GE to fix this before it starts a fire in my house . Thank you!

stainless steel refrigerator

I, Princella Singleton, am complaining. I brought a $2, 000.00 GE refrigerator. The fridge began rusting on the exterior finish right away(least than six months) I complained. GE sent out a service man, who stated they do not warantee exterior finishes. I read the least than one year product warantee, state that the finishes is covered.

I called GE. They gave me the run around.

terrible company

GE installed a new refrig/freezer last summer. It has a freezer drawer in the bottom with an ice maker. The ice maker continues making ice even when the ice drawer is full. When you Pull out the ice drawer, to get some ice, the cubes piled up at the back are knocked off onto the freezer floor. When cubes are on that floor the freezer drawer will not close. It is necessary to get down on the floor, reach way back into the base of the freezer and sweep out the cubes for disposal - then you face the job of trying to get up off the floor - not easy for an 85 year old. This process has to be done 2 or 3 times per week. After my first call to GE customer service they sent a technician who determined that the ice maker needed to be replaced - which he did - accomplished nothing. I next emailed to customer service - this evoked a phone call telling me that the solution to the problem is to turn off the ice maker when the drawer is full and turn it back on when I need more ice - this necessitates removing frozen food from the shelf in front of the ice maker, removing the shelf, turning off the ice maker, install the shelf and replace the food - a rather stupid solution to the problem. I next wrote to the president of GE with a complete description and he had an associate call me and told me to turn off the ice maker.

On 1/3/2009 I opened the freezer to get some ice. When I closed the freezer drawer some ice cubes had been dragged onto the floor in front of the refrigerator (without my knowledge). A couple hours later I went to the refrigerator to get an apple and slipped on one of the ice cubes that was on the floor – the only reason I didn’t have a bad fall, and injury, is because I had a good grip on the handle of the refrigerator. Someone else will not be so lucky – there’s almost sure to be a serious injury from this problem. When such an injury occurs I hope the injured person sues GE for millions of dollars – and I hope I hear about it because I have a complete file of everything I have done to try to get GE to remedy this problem and I will be happy to give that data to the injured party.

GE has been making ice makers for decades - this model is obviously a defective design - GE WILL DO NOTHING ABOUT THE PROBLEM.

• Ro
    Roman24 Sep 15, 2009

I purchased a GE Side by Side refridgerator about five years ago. The water and ice started coming out of the door by itself about 6 months ago. So, after a few flooded kitchen floor episodes, I called my appliance repair man, who came to fix it. He shut off the water and said the doors have been recalled by GE and he would order them for me.

About 2 weeks later, the doors arrive. They didn't replace the Ice/water unit and said there is some kind of sensor they needed to get but was back ordered. They replaced both doors. The refridgerator door had a big dent in the corner and the freezer door doesn't shut all the way unless you purposefully push it shut. So after a few freezer-fuls of melting popsicles, bad meat and ice melting, we called again. (Mind you, I still have no water/ice on the door, which was my original request!) Well, about a month later, I get one door delivered. The dented door. Now I'm 50% of the way to having doors that work, but yet, I still have no ice/water on the door!

After several phone calls to GE, the final "offer" was that they would replace the entire refridgerator if I paid them $700.00! So let me get this straight. Three months ago, I asked you to fix my water/ice on the door. Now I have a door that doesn't close, still have no ice/water, and you want $700? Not to mention the fact that you left the old doors and the packaging for the new doors in my driveway for me to somehow get rid of? hmmmmm. GE claims that the new doors are heavier and they can't guarantee that they close the same way as the old doors. (Did they not notice that the refridgerator door closes fine?)

So I'm supposed to live with this door that doesn't close properly and that my kids consistently forget to "PUSH" closed, which is only required of the freezer door, not the refridgerator door, and I STILL have no water/ice!!! What's up with that?

will not repair and a manufacturing defect

Shirley @ GE consumer services aknowledges a manufacturing defect in the stress cracked supply line to the water dispenser of 2003 GE refrigerator that they will not repair at their cost. I will no longer purchase GE appliance and hope to communicate their poor customer service to all who will listen. The supply line is defective due to a manufacturing error at the GE plant, defective tubing, or using a tubing incorrect for the application.

They readily understood their problem with the model # & serial # and still refused to help. She was not at all helpful or in any way an asssett to their customer service.

• Sh
    ShelleySue Feb 28, 2015

I also experience a problem with the water dispenser in my GE refrigerator. Water actually dripped inside the refrigerator (behind a panel) and ran underneath the large bottom meat drawer. I only discovered the leak after the drawer kept catching on something, which turned out to be a huge layer of ice. The repairman acknowledged that he had seen this same problem before. I am not a happy camper. Will never buy another GE appliance. We have had trouble with our washer and dishwasher too, and these appliances are only 4 years old.

bad service

Before I start, I want to let everyone know that I THOUGHT I had done my research, but apparently not well enough. My husband and I purchased a brand new GE side-by-side refrigerator in July 2007. I checked reviews for the product online and looked for just the right model. Then we went to Home Depot and purchased the side-by-side model with clean steel and ice maker. We purposely bought an Energy Star model to reduce our electric bill. We did not buy the extended warranty, because who needs that for a refrigerator that should last at least 10 years for a cheap model. My parents bought a refrigerator when I was a kid that lasted for almost 20 years, and my grandmother had the same refrigerator for over 40. I registered the model with GE right away. Immediately I began receiving almost daily emails from GE urging me to purchase the extended warranty. We considered it, because it only has a one year warranty, but as I mentioned before it seemed like a waste of money. About 6 months ago I discovered why they push the warranty so hard. My 2 year old refrigerator began making a horrible alien sound. The sound has now progressed to include an interment grinding noise. Apparently, GE makes the refrigerators to last only as long as the warranty, because we believe the compressor is going out! Yes, you read that correctly!!! A two year old refrigerator is on its last leg. The best part is that our brand new GE dishwasher, which is less than 2 years old decided to die right before Thanksgiving!!! I will never purchase another GE appliance again. Thank God the new electric range is an LG!!! I don't know how we are going to afford to purchase brand new appliances again. We saved to buy the ones we have now for a year! I guess GE is making a killing on their appliances, because they must have a very high profit margin with the shoddy craftsmanship and added bonus of extended warranty sales. All I have to say is stay away from GE Appliance and spend your money on an LG. So far, it is the only company I've had any luck with.

GEAppliances Jan 06, 2010

This is Megan from GE. Sorry to hear about the issues with your appliances. Please email me the details at [email protected] and I will look into it for you.

ann mar Jun 06, 2010

GE refrigerators catch on fire too!

service

General Electric,

i have problems with your distributor in turkey, enkay group. i had a very bad service experience today and want to share it with you. i had a problem with my disposer. it was stuck and i think it was my fault. so icalled the service and they came. in 30 sec. they fixed the machine and charged me 40 TL. i refused it and asked them why they didnt inform me of the fee, before the service took place. they said it was the corporate policy, not to tell the price before the service took place. once, they were telling the customers the minimum fee they had to pay, but when the customers reacted badly and refused the service, they decided not to tell about the service fee, in order not to cause harm on the corporate image. may be they think that forcing the customer to pay the price after the service took place does not cause harm on the corporate image. but as a customer, it bothers me so badly. i'm thinking of not to buy a ge product again, because of this poor after sale point of view. i wanted to inform you and wanted to see how important is customer satisfaction for you.
(by the way, the retail price of ge disposer gfc501 is approximately 500 turkish liras. they forced me to pay 10% of the product for a service for 10 sec. it's another point)

Customer Service Chairman's Office

Our 2-year-old GE Profile dishwasher malfunctioned in the middle of the night and it wasn't even turned on when we went to bed. We were awakened by our dog and smelled smoke, but we couldn't find the source of the smoke/smell. We were getting ready to call 911 when we felt immense heat from the dishwasher and noticed that items on top of the counter had melted. We got it open and the inside of the dishwasher is completely melted; we could not get it turned off so had to turn off the breaker. I called GE who tells me that it is not a safety issue - that the dishwasher is designed to not start a fire. (What about the items around it that got so hot they could start on fire? If we hadn't had granite, they would have.) They offered to waive the tech fee to come look at it, but if it is not repairable (and, really, could it be?), we will pay a prorated fee for replacement. The CS person in the Chairman's Office also told me to quit interrupting her when she was explaining the procedure. Admittedly, I was very upset when learning about their procedure and "safety features." Instead, we are going to call our extended home warranty company and let them deal with it.

GEProfileProblem Dec 17, 2009

UPDATE: I am the original poster. GE has since called us and sent a technician to our home and a replacement has been ordered at no charge to us.

• Sh
    Shazialone Jan 26, 2010

Here is a copy of the email which I have sent to Cherine Gohary... I expect a positive response from your side...

Cherine Gohary

I had a conversation with you in sep 2009 regarding my GE Washing Machine:
    MOD: WISR409DGBWW
    SER: FM173493G
    MADE IN USA

Just to refresh your memory here is a short summary...

I have this washing machine from he last two years, and I have replaced its motor twice, and then there was an issue of some abnormal sound coming out of that machine while its working. I managed to get it fixed through your GE Customers service in Pakistan.

When I called them, they told me that they want to take the machine to their workshop, because they cant fix it at my place... That was a big hassle, but obviously I had to manage that too because that was my problem again...

After one day I received my machine, working without making noise... My previous issue was solved but unfortunately another issue was born... I paid GE for the the repair and separately paid for the pick and drop service... And the new issue was, that there was a permanent leakage from the water inlet and when i checked my machine it was full with water. I checked it twice or thrice and came to know that there is a permanent leakage of water inside the machine

Again I called GE Customer Service and asked them to fix my machine, they came to my palace and checked the pipes, removed and fixed them again. ... Now when they turned the machine on to check the water supply, something got burned and some smoke came out of the machine... We asked them, now what happened? They said we have to check, and finally they came up with a Burnt Magnetic Coil.

Now here I am left with a broken GE washing machine once again... I asked them to replace that Magnetic Coil, but they refused and said that we will repair that only... Then I asked Mr. Naeem to give me in writing that this repaired Magnetic Coil is going to be equally perfect as the new one, he refused and said "we don't have any policy to give in writing"

Kindly do let me know what am I supposed to do now??? You have distributors who don't know what is Customer Care, they simply get rude with their customers and they don't even own this brand... They are inefficient, non-technical, non-cooperative, non-professional, rude and working on hit and trial basis.

For your information, I have talked to Mr. Naeem in GE customer service
    Mr. Altaf is the technician who visits my home
    Last time I have also talked to Mr. Farrukh in Hadayat Sons

But no one gave a satisfactory reply...
    I hope that you can understand Customer's Problem
    Waiting for your prompt reply

Best Regards

92-42-111-500-111 office
    92-321-8465122 cell
    [email protected]

Poor Customer Service

I bought a GE cordless phone in Mumbai, India from a well reputed retail chain. This line of cordless phones had just been launched in India. When i reached home i realized that the Called ID on the phone was not working. I connected my old cordless and it was working on that. I also called my telephone operator and confirmed whether the feature was activated. I drew the conclusion that the phone was probably not equipped to recognize the Indian number format.

After this, i went to one of the GE appliance web sites, went into the 'Contact Us' section and wrote a long complaint about how they should have thought of something as crucial as Caller ID before launching the phone in the country.

All i got as a reply was an automated message saying that they would be able to clear my queries better if I call some helpline. The helpline number was not Indian based and I am unable to call it. I think this has been the worst experience with customer feedback i have ever had.

GE as a brand, has lost a great amount of credibility in my mind. I would not recommend anyone out there to go spend their hard earned money on any of their products.

calling on sunday & wouldn't let me tell her new number

I got this call about 30 minutes ago and when I asked the lady why she was calling on my sunday, she said she had the right. I said well I guess your company is the only one then because no one else does!
Anyway, when I tried to tell her to stop calling my number and give her one where she could reach my husband, she went off on this ranting about the laws of my state and it being a no spouse state and I can't give her a new number without him telling me to and on and on. Then I told her and not politely that it was my number she was calling and I wanted them to stop calling it!! She then again was rude and snotty and said, "you know what, have a nice day maam. Blah blah blah"
Yes I was rude! This is sunday! A day where I don't even bother people!! However, this company calls and this lady won't allow me to give another number to her so she can reach the right party!!
Stop calling my number! I am sick of it and stop calling me on sunday!!

microwave tray

Ge spacesaver microwave, model jvm1870sf2
Glass microwave tray broke in two while heating food! unit is about 4 years new. ordering one from ge is about $100! still paid $50 from third-party. amazing. i've used more variety of ge medical products than probably anyone in us, because of my diverse medical training: diagnostic ultrasound; mri scanners; ct scanners; general xray; specialized ir, and cardiac c-arm machines. ge currently cannot repair problems on my cardiac equipment at a major hospital for one year now. as a consumer, every company out there makes junk. part of the bigger problem is us. we've been programmed to expect less, after years of using chinese-infused products. glass microwave plates breaking when being heated? what did the engineers think it was going to be used for? $100 for replacement. pyrex glass bowls (same thing) cost $5.87 at walmart, and they use more glass. c'mon ge...i'm obviously a brilliant person to use all those medical devices and my opinion counts bigtime. $100 for something which should have been manufactured to withstand heat of a microwave oven. $50 was bad enough for a product that was probably made in a sweatshop, in some smog-filled chinese city without safety or qc. the sad part is that both trays probably come from the same chinese factory; the ones with the ge logo on the box costing twice as much.

awful quality products

I have had this ge dryer less than 2 years, and the circuit board is defective. I understand this is not uncommon and ge will not repair it since the warranty has expired. The repair is $460 and the dryer only cost $600 originally! This is the second ge appliance that I have been burned on.

• Dr
    Dr. Caleb Butiko Aug 27, 2009

We moved into a new house last year November, 2008 and the house was furnished by
    the builder with a Ge washer model wcvh6400joww which is a front loader. From day one we have many problems with it. It sends a lot of water through the front door during
    the spinning circle. We have called and three of Ge's technicians and they have not been able to fix it. They make suggestions that do not work. We have water flooding to our walls and yet the have refused to replace it. When you mention to them about the damage that is being caused to the wall, they say we they have insurance to cover that.
    With GE nothing is urgent when it comes to fixing a broken washer they make. We can
    not choose our time or schedule because our business is not important to them.

• Ew
    Ewok Apr 19, 2011

I to have had a washer for 18 months and the curcuit board went out. We installed a new circuit board which cost us 109.00 with tax. They stated that moisture from the hot water shorted out the board. I will never buy another product from them again.

maine68 May 23, 2011

Webought a matching waser and dryer from Sears in Lincoln, Maine. the washer was a G.E. frount load, model #WCVH6400JOWW. We bougt it April 26 of 2008. We took out an extra 2 year warranty. The warranty ran out April 26 of 2011. On May 22 of 2011 the washer stoped pumping the water out of the machine. We asume that we lost the water pump. It is going to cost us over $ 300.00 to fix it. That about have of what we paid for it brand new. What crappy craftmanship. As expensive as these machines are. You expect to get more than 3 years out of them. I will never purchase a nother G.E. washing Machine. Very disapointed.

overcharged

I aked GE to come out a check my oven. I explained my concerns and he said they were normal functions of the oven (ie. smell of gas and heat ventelation out back of oven). The tech. proceeds to bait me by engaging a conversation regarding the ovens self-cleaning mechanism. The tech then draws out a diagram on a piece of paper showing me how the oven's temperature fluctuates. At this point I figure if nothing is wrong with my oven maybe I should have its internal temparature checked to make sure its holding its heat. This required the tech. to take a trip to his van(laborious)and stick a wire in oven(back braking)and wait. All of this cost me $120. I was charged for customer education. I NEVER asked to be informed about the operation of my oven, I know how it works. Besides, I would never pay for someone to come to my home to tell me the ins and outs of any appliance; all that info. is free online! I believe GE trains its techs. to bait the customer into laborious, jaw flapping education that the customer never asks for AND is not even given a choice to be educated (for a fee) or not educated.

In my opinion, I was bindsighted. If you call a tech to come out to your home, you better ask every time the tech. opens his mouth if your geting charged for verbal labor.

ge retroactively ends warranty without notice

This complaint is twofold: 1) ge consumer electronics refuses to honor a printed warranty valid at the time...

fraud and scam

GE Appliances used to have a good reputation - not any more. The GE refrigerator we bought had problems within one year. The service would come at no charge to 'fix' it and within a few months it would be broken again. This happened over several years. They put in new doors to try and fix the problem. That didn't work. They put in a 'kit' for the ice maker. That worked about one year. Now we have a refrigerator that has been nothing but trouble and no ice. They said they would give $400 towards a new GE. Considering that we have only had from the beginning a refrigerator worth about $400, it's not a good deal. And why on earth would we but another headache called GE Appliances? No thanks.

Since they sent them over seas to be built, they have gotten worse and worse. Even the salesmen at stores admit this. DO NOT buy a GE appliance unless you enjoy dealing with repairmen on a constant basis. They know that there is a problem with their appliances but apparently would rather pay lower wages than have them built right!

an2009 Apr 08, 2009

MICROWAVE GE PROFILE - Yes, repair man charges min $90 to just step in the door +$190 to replace the part- magnetron in our stainless GE Profile +TAX - don't forget, almost $300 to fix, when brand new costs $600. I am outraged. It's a SCAM!!! I ended up paying the repair guy his HOME CALL price - $90 so he would leave. We'll order the part online for $80 + and replace it ourselves. For you who are reading and want to replace the magnetron in your microwave, be careful not to get shocked by 2000 volts. make sure you read info on how to discharge the voltage.
    I WILL NOT BUY GE EVER AGAIN.

refrigerator water supply freezes

This is regarding a GE refrigerator purchased from Lowe's. The model is # GSH25SGPC SS. The water dispenser in the freezer door keeps freezing up and will not dispense water, I keep a hair dryer in the cabinet next to the fridge and thaw it out every two days. What a shame to have to do this on a new refridgerator that cost around $1, 000.00. I have called GE and they keep saying they are not aware of the problem and have not had any complaints. This is an out and out lie since there are many web sites where consumers have registered complaints including this one. Check "GE GE refrigerator water supply". I have contacted GE about 5 times and Lowes twice about this problem since it was new. Lowes says it is GE's problem and GE says there is no problem. I have complained to Consumer Affairs and the Better Business Bureau. I even went up to someone in Lowe's that was looking at a GE fridge and warned them not to buy. What recourse do we the consumer have when criminals like this will not stand behind their product once they get our money? I wonder if this is something some ambitious young attorney would like to get into and pursue? Surely we can all band together and force GE to do something. Check some of the web sites, I suspect there are probably hundreds of us with the same problem and even more that don't know where to turn. I have been trying so long, to no avail, that my fridge is now out of warranty which GE loves and uses to their advantage. GE did say they will be glad to come out and replace my faulty door at a cost of over $500.00 to fix their manufacturing defect! How thoughtful! Lowe's would not do anything to help either. I guess this was a $1, 000.00 learning experience. I will NEVER pirchase another GE appliance and will do everything I can to discourage others from buying GE! Total trash with absolutely no customer service.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices