Having problems with Geek Squad?

Geek Squad reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Nov 1, 2006. The latest review Installation of Ethernet wire in wall was posted on Oct 25, 2021. The latest complaint backup data scam was resolved on Dec 19, 2014. Geek Squad has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 305 reviews. Geek Squad has resolved 61 complaints.

Geek Squad Customer Service Contacts

P.O. Box 9312
Minneapolis, Minnesota

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Geek Squad Customer Service. Initial Geek Squad complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Geek Squad above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Geek Squad. Discuss the issues you have had with Geek Squad and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

Geek Squad Complaints & Reviews, Page 11

Geek Squad / Best Buy — child endangerment

I had purchased a 1 year geek squad protection plan on my young child's laptop. When the membership...

Geek Squadannual contract

My request is uncomplicated and straight forward. I want confirmation that I paid $99.99 for the annual renewal of Geek Squad household computer protection program. And I want the paid for renewal contract.
After hours and hours on the phone being transferred and put on hold, and sending emails that were ignored, I was told that the computer system sends a confirmation of monies paid and the renewal contract three days after the order has been placed.
We never received any correspondence to verify the purchase or the contract.
At my determined request, the last CSR Jake, transferred me to his Manager Franze who said Geek Squad cannot do anything to fulfill my request. They only have one way to email the receipt and renewal contract and that was completed automatically 3 days after the purchase date. Yes, the charge is on my VISA bill.
I wrote to Corporate 2 weeks ago. No response.

Jason Kr. Apr 05, 2014

Ill preface this with stating that I'm relatively computer
      savvy, however there are times when I simply do not have the time to fix the
      issues caused by my families web browsing habits, nor the patience. I've
      utilized Geek Squad quite a few times since the late 2000's with problems here
      and there, but nothing like what I've experienced the last year of doing
      business with them.

The most recent experience I've had with the Geek Squad has
      left an incredibly sour taste in my mouth. In early March, I took a computer
      into Geek Squad to have them remove an apparent virus. My eldest son had been
      using the PC for "homework, " and had been complaining of numerous pop
      ups and issues where the browser would take you to a, less than desirable,
      website other than where you requested to go.

I spent about an hour going through it and trying to remove
      the virus. The conclusion that I had was that the infection was beyond my
      abilities and would have to be looked at by a professional. The next day, I
      took it in and dropped it off with the familiar faces at my local best buy. One
      of the guys in there recognized me and got the paperwork started as usual. Took
      my concerns down, noted the hardware I’d dropped off and said they would call
      the next day after he had a chance to look at it.

Next day rolls around- No Call.

Next Day – No Call.

Five days into it I receive a call, from someone other than
      my normal tech, who says the problem is fixed, and the PC is ready for pickup.
      $199.99—Not too bad, considering it was 4 or 5 days’ worth of work on the
      computer, I’m just happy to have the computer back. It’s hard to share the
      three computers we have in the house with the 5 family members in our
      household.

Upon getting the computer home, hooked up, and turned on the
      first thing I noticed was that the computer was NOT fixed. It was exactly how
      it was when I had dropped it off.

I contacted the store that evening and was instructed to
      bring the machine back in, and they would look at it. I immediately unplugged
      it, drove it back over, and dropped it off with the same technician that
      released it to me just hours earlier. The tech informed me that it would be looked
      at first thing in the morning, by the technician that usually works on my
      machines.

At this point, I am upset, but more frustrated. I am very
      understanding and do realize that things happen. This is a fact of life.

The problem occurred when 48 hours later, I get a call to
      pick the computer up. Rinse and repeat. Get the machine home, kids are using it
      for a few hours to get homework down, the pop ups appear and the “browser
      redirects” start happening, this time much worse than before. The computer is
      now locked up and unusable. It was at this point, we shut the machine off and
      left it alone. The following morning, I called and spoke with a Geek Squad
      supervisor about getting a full refund for the service. The manager instructed
      me to bring the computer in and they would take a look at it. At this point I
      told them I had already hired someone else to fix it and repair the issues, and
      I would prefer a refund. The manager said they could not do that and that I had
      to bring the machine back in. Obviously, I am unable to do this. I found an
      online computer repair company, SafePCFix, that will do the repair remotely and
      while you watch (if you want.) They had walked me through the connection
      process and were fixing it, while I was on the phone with Geek Squad supervisor
      trying to get the refund from the botched job. While they declined to do it,
      the tech I was working with offered to help me get a refund by providing proof
      of the rootkit that was still installed on the machine.

I contacted the CC Company with the information the
      technician gave me and they refunded my money back to my account. I’m unsure if
      Geek Squad is going to fight the case or not, but the technician at safepcfix
      told me they would help out if they needed to.

It took these guys 2 hours to fix Geek Squad’s errors and
      mistakes. The computer works better than it did when we purchased it, and I am
      very happy with the work. I will no longer be using Geek Squad, and I recommend
      that no one else does either. There are times to skimp on repair services, and
      when you’re dealing with expensive electronics, its better to do it right the
      first time. I sincerely hope that none of you have to go through what I did. It
      has been quite a nightmare. Note: I have annexed some details out of the above
      story to save time and space. If anyone is interested in getting more details
      about my experience, please email me and I will be happy to answer any
      questions that you have.

I was in a very similar position to you Tom. It took Geek
      Squad over a week to repair my system, and even then, I had browser problems
      and pop-ups.

I found your comment a couple weeks ago and looked up
      safepcfix guys. Called them and they verified geek squads problems and fixed
      the errors they left behind. My laptop was still infected with a rootkit that
      took 2 hours for them to remove properly. They got it fixed though, and called
      when it was done. It works great now. Its actually faster than I remember too.
      We ended up getting rid of McAfee too, since that wasn't working correctly.

If you were scammed by geek squad review their services and
      then pick a different company. John, safepcfix, wrote me a report to give me
      credit card company to get my money back from Geek Squad. Were still fighting
      it now, but it looks good.

Geek Squadnot on time as promised

Geek Squad promise to have a System Restore they promised it would be done by 12 o'clock p.m. and it's now 730 p.m. when I call the store it wasn't done yet and I've been waiting in Chico for 2 hours when I got to the store like 15 minutes later they showed me that it was only at 12 percent while I was sitting there watching it for 5 minutes it got all the way up to 25 percent Dave said they been doing it for 4 hours which doesn't make no sense at all really poor customer service will never have a nother thing bought from Best Buy and especially repaired from Geek Squad

Geek Squaddamaged my computers & bad customer service

I took 2 computers in with virus complaints, a desktop and a laptop. Tech guy checked both and told me he was able to fix the virus/bug on my laptop immediately. The laptop virus was a background audio (radio station like)that keeps going on continuously. He advised that the desktop repair will take longer and recommended I purchase a 2 year tech support and I'll get up to 3 computers repaired for 2 years. I got home and found out that rather than repair the virus/bug on my laptop, the audio was somehow disabled. I took laptop back next day and they checked it in along with desktop already in their possession. Five days later, they told me laptop was ready but desktop was still being worked on. I went to pick up laptop and they told me the soundcard was messed up on the motherboard and I need to basically purchase a new motherboard. I was disgusted with them because I had a laptop that was working perfectly fine and had sound one day and no sound an hour later, except for a nuisance background noise; but I took the laptop with me and expecting repairs on the desktop soon. I got no calls for another 6 days and I decided to call today. I got a customer service rep on the phone that first argued with me that I was called that my desktop was ready. She then proceeded to tell me that they couldn't fix it because my hard drive was damaged and I need to buy a new hard drive and then pay them for backup, give them my software for them to update. I requested to have my tech support payment of approximately $300.00 refunded and I don't want their service. She hung up the phone on me. I called their corporate head office and spoke with a rep that told me they can't connect me with a District or Regional Manager, but connected me with the store Shift Manager. In speaking with the store shift manager and telling him my side of the story, he told me he was standing by the rep that hung up on me and she warned me that I was yelling on the phone before she hung up. He mentioned it in a defensive way and I asked if he heard me yelling, he said no. I told him why then I'm I trying to tell you my side of the conversation which I deny was anything remotely close to yelling, yet you wanted to let me know you basically condone her treatment of customers before you even try to resolve the issue. It is unbelievable that this company has flown under the radar with such complaints as I'm now seeing. I intend to continue to follow up with their management, just in case they are unaware of the procedures of the customer service level employees and see if they'll reform how they allow customer complaints to get to management level. It is ridiculous for a legitimate paying customer not to have an email or mailing address or telephone number of a regional or district managerial level employee to forward their complaints to.

Geek Squad Best Buy — service

I previously wrote regarding UBS ports not working and taking it to Best Buy, Geek Squad for service, where...

Best Buy Geek Squad — lost data

Don't use Best Buy Geek Squad! Very incompetent...They don't know what they are doing--they lost...

Geek Squadscam repairs of camera

I purchased a fairly expensive camera from Best Buy a little over a year ago. I brought it into the Geek Squad for repair, where they charged me a diagnostc fee of $36 and sent it off. I didn’t hear back from them for a couple of months. I ended up calling the store to get the status of the repair. I was told by the “agent” that the camera was in Texas and could not be repaired because they didn’t have the part, but I could bring it to a private camera shop in the area for repair. When I went to pick my camera up, after it got back to the store, they refusef to give me my diagnostic fee back.

When I told them that they could have gotten the part but didn’t, that became their problem and they should do yhe right thing and refund my money, they refused. They were extremely rude and unhelpful. They also tolde numerous tes that I should have gotten the extendef warranty. So, I feel that if you don’t pay the extra money on insurance, they don’t stand by their products, even if they are only a year old. All they needed to do was get the part!

2 Responses
          • raven2010 May 23, 2012

I called the geek squad and they said the computer was missing the hard drive and the motherboard and the CD rom sector.

TheWayItIs May 23, 2012

The $36 was not for BBY to determine what the problem was - it is an administrative/handling fee which covers shipping as well. BBY/GS are not authorized technicians for cameras. Not outrageous. You could have dealt directly with the mfr and if their customer support said that a needed part was unavailable, I'm sure you would have gotten at least a partial credit. Refund is not owed.

Best Buy Geek Squad Warranty — refused to honor

Yesterday I went into Best Buy to buy a new TV as my old one was broken. I mentioned to the guy in the TV...

Geek Squadbad service - did not fix problem

We bought an Asus laptop from Best Buy in August 2011. In December, the screen developed a crack making it unreadable. (There was no drop or other abuse. You just have to press on the screen a bit to crack it. It is very very cheap.) Of course, this is not covered by the warranty. Geek Squad wants $85 up front, unrefundable, to look at it. Seven weeks later, they tell us to come and pick it up. We get there and they hand it back with a tag that says unrepairable. (And four gooey stickers on it that I had to scrape off with a razor blade!) After pitching a fit, they did refund the $85. But only after summoning the manager who realized that a customer causing a scene was probably not good for business. Now this is a computer that we bought just 6 months earlier from Best Buy. This whole affair was a mess from day one. The Asus is a complete piece of crap, Best Buy's service when I bought the thing was poor, they did not stand behind their product, and Geek Squad was ridiculously slow, completely useless, and they provided no information as to what was going on while they had my computer for 7 weeks. (Their web site where you could track things was so poorly designed that its deveopment was obviously outsourced to Elbonia.) Now I have a mostly useless 6-month old laptop. Never again will I visit Best Buy. I will tell everyone I know about the crap built by Asus. But I guess I don't need to spread the word about the completely useless service provided by Geek Squad because it appears that everyone else is learning about that every day.

Geek Squadfailure to keep appointment

I purchased a new computer/printer/monitor and wanted all equipment set up correctly. I was assured by the Geek Squad technician "Hector" that the Geek Squad would come to my location and correctly set up all equipment. The Standard price was explained and agreed to, I was assured that the service tech. would come to my loaction between 9-11 A.M. on Tuesday March 29. I took off work this day so that I could let the tech person into my home/office to perform his service and pay for services performed. On Tuesday March 29 I never received a call or any other notification that the Geek Squad would not be coming out and that no person was available in the Rockford area. I was told all of this after I called to find out when there representative was. They further informed me that there representative had quit his job. It cost me a days pay to find out that if I ever need a computer expert I will NOT be calling the Geek Squad.

Geek Squadripoff alert!

RIPOFF ALERT! What I was told when I bought Geek Squad coverage: "Bring it in, we'll diagnose it right away and get it back usually within a few days, depending on what is wrong."
              What I was told when I called today asking about Geek Squad coverage: "Bring it in, we'll diagnose it right away and get it back usually within a few days, depending on what is wrong."
              What REALLY happens AFTER Best Buy gets your money: You bring it in and are told by a Geek: We will look open in two weeks or more unless you give me $150.00 more just to expedite it, then we'll look at it in a week.
              That is "bait and switch, " unethical, immoral, unprofessional and so much more. I have already lodged a formal complaint with my state's Attorney General today, will post this on facebook, the [redacted], all other ripoff sites, the BBB and any other blog and media I can find to warn others of this criminal behavior.

TheWayItIs Jan 30, 2012

It's not bait and switch; it's you falling hook, line and sinker for a sales pitch. There are other choices for authorized computer repair, most more ethical, qualified and competent that Bleak Squad.

Geek Squad - Best Buycannot fix my computer!!!

Hello,
                Here is a good one for you all. I brought my computer to get repaired from Geek Squad because my Gateway was shutting down at will, without notice. I brought it to them and they told me it was the motherboard and I was very skeptical when they said this so I did some research online, and I found out it was a fan that was needed for the Gateway LX 6810 model. This is a glitch in this computer that GATEWAY will not admit too !!! Anyways, I had to tell them how to fix my computer and these Geeks cannot fix my computer by setting it back to the original settings, and its been well over 4 weeks. They installed the fan after I went there and complained to them, but they do not respond, keep me updated or even notify me to pick it up. Simply terrible ! They cannot restore my system now and I am out to lunch without a computer because those darn Geeks put the ball back in my court everytime something is wrong. Really ! I am paying $199 for the Geeks to fix my computer and they cannot even get it back to the original setting from when I bought it. WARNING: DO NOT BRING YOUR COMPUTER TO THE GEEKSQUAD !!! It is a wast of money and time...

2 Responses
                  • Di
                    dia3766 Dec 19, 2011

oh also it could be the hard drive itself that is corrupted, if that is the case it would not allow you to put a restoration either. When i replaced mine that was around 90 for the one i put in

• Di
                    dia3766 Dec 19, 2011

hmmm when you bought the computer did you make a restore disk for it? It could be possible that there was a file that was corrupted that is preventing the restoration. Either way there are ways to reload manually all the software, drivers etc manually, sounds like they don't want to spend the time to do it. Hopefully you can get it fixed properly

Best Buy Geek Squad — overcharging, lying

I Called Geek Squad for a tv repair. I was told that the cost would be $150 plus parts. Tech showed up an...

Geek Squadhorrible delivery and installation

I purchased three 60" TVs to be installed for my church. Paid cash for them and then paid the extra money for Geek Squad to professionally install my monitors with all the appropriate wiring. I waited two weeks after the promised installation date and upon delivery they installers gave me more excuses than solutions and at the end of the day they did not do ANYTHING but hang the televisions that we could have done ourselves. Best Buy geek Squad is a joke!

Geek Squadbad service

My laptop stopped powering up, so I took it to the Geek Squad at Best Buy. They said they would send it out and it might take as long as 2 to 3 weeks to repair it and I'd get a call with a repair quote?. So, I had no choice but to buy a computer to use in the interim for my bookkeeping business, so I opted to upgrade my desktop computer'. A week, or so, later, I got a call from the Geek Squad, saying that the socket into which plug the power supply was damaged and that in order to replace it, they had to replace the entire motherboard because it is attached to the motherboard on my particular model|. They waid it would cost me $500 plus, so I told them not to fix and to just send it back to me, since I could practically get a new laptop for that". So, I bought a new laptop and got back on track with my business.. When I got the old laptop back, I took it to a PC repair shop and they said they could probably just solder a new receptor on it for $50.. I left it with them and the next day they said they didn't have to do anything to the computer -- that it was working fine! I think Geek Squad fixed the receptor, and was going to charge me for a new motherboard (whether they replaced it, or not), and charge me $500 plus

Ive purchased numerous products and services from best and geek squad and never really looked to see what else was out there. Big mistake...

I started listening to the advice of my friends and looking into other companies that would rival the services our family has purchased from geek squad(ie software installs for virus programs, removing the junk off the new pc, removing the viruses that got onto the new pc 3 months after it was purchased, etc.) We found a couple companies and tried their services and tested some of the things that they offer. I would like to propose to everyone a service that rivals geek squad and has a more cost effective approach to computer services. You can understand their workers also.

We've used secure remote support for a few things lately and they've saved us a lot of time and money taking our computer to geek squad. I would like to try and let everyone know to atleast look and see whats out there before you settle on geek squad or anyone else. secureremotesupport.com has a pretty good name, and has outdone geek squad in our opinions.

Sorry for the ranting, im a little irritated with geek squad lately as they helped caused a problem with our vista not loading correctly on our machine.

7 Responses
                      • At
                        At _Your_ Service Dec 04, 2011

There isn't a product manufactured that can't break down; it's just frustrating when it's yours. Ironically there's a COMPLIMENT written about Kenmore just a few from this complaint. It goes to show that for every issue there are several consumers that are extremely satisfied.

One advantage of purchasing from a national brand versus that of a store brand is that if you're dissatisfied with the results of one service center, you can always change servicers.

Hopefully they'll get you taken care of by narrowing down the problem. Be aware that if it is under an extended service guarantee, you have a protection clause that guarantees a replacement if the unit is found to be unrepairable. Sears' program requests three times in repairing the same problem. In each case, the issue and service needs to be documented of which you should retain. By the fourth failure, the Sears will determine the problem unrepairable and replace it for you.

Let us know if it doesn't get taken care of to your satisfaction.

• St
                        Streetdonkey Dec 04, 2011

You are a crying brat that did not get their way. Geek Squad is a national caompany. There costs will be more than a mom and pop shop. They are charged out the ying yang for their items and the mom and pop shops use a wholesaler. With the mom and pop shops using a wholesaler, they get their parts dirt cheap and they are 9 times out of 10-USED or REFERBS.

Thanks but no thanks for your cry baby and kicking your feet attitude.

TheWayItIs Nov 12, 2011

Did you expect more of Bleak Squad? The repair depot(s) that BBY sends the computers to have no interest in your loyalty, just your wallet. Your local techie repair companies do.

• gigexum Sep 16, 2011

Did you speak to the manager of Geek Squad or Best Buy in general? Did you you speak with corporate? At least you should try.

• Mi
                        MInnek Sep 16, 2011

My hard disc for my Mac crashed unexpectedly, and I was frantic because ALL my pictures were saved on it. I wasnt as worried about my music and video files (although they were gone too) as I was my pictures. There were photos from my wedding and honeymoon, my newborn son and many many others. I was worried they were gone forever, due to my stupidity of not having backed the files up. I took the computer into the local Geek Squad store with a heavy heart, hoping they could salvage my files.
                        I was relieved to learn that they COULD get everything back. It was such a weight off my shoulders, then they dropped the bomb on my bank account -- nearly $400. "Memories are priceless" I told myself over and over the next three days while I was waiting to get my computer (and files) back. When they called to tell me the computer was ready to be picked up I was excited that the problem was behind me. I forked out the money and went home thinking I was home free. I got home and started going through everything (with my newfound appreciation for every single file) only to find my music and videos and half of my pictures were still MIA. I'd paid for a full data recovery, although I stressed the importance of the photos to the technician, I wanted it all back! I was concerned as to why these files were missing! I called the Geek Squad and didnt get much of an answer or apology from the staff.
                        Fine, I figured. They were so apathetic I was disgusted. I got online and found a company called Secure Remote Support and contacted them, they told me that getting those files back for me was no problem and that they'd back everything up for me for 79 DOLLARS. Thats measly pocket change compared to what I just forked over to the Geek Squad store. I let secureremotesupport.com perform the service on the computer, and was pleased to find everything was done properly. I had gotten all of my music, pictures and family videos back. I had great service from the friendly techs and I was assured my satisfaction was #1 to them. They really are top notch and will be getting all my future computer repair business!

• Ha
                        Hanzay Mar 11, 2010

I agree they've messed me aroung for 8 weeks now only to tell me my claim has been refused because i did not report the loss within 48hrs. Infact I did report it and gave them the reference number given by the police. They then wanted a copy a copy of the police report which i had to chase around for and eventually had to do another another one becasue apparently there was no report taken by the police and after all this Geek Sqaud told me my claim has been rejected. Its a racket, I pay £14 a month for this!!! I would not advise anyone to buy this policy!!!

• Ta
                        TasR44 Oct 21, 2009

I took my computer into Geek Squad hoping they could fix my network & connection issues. Well, they wouldn't even listen to me. I had to write down in detail my problem, and the 'geek' would read it when he was assigned. I couldn't believe it. I'm paying you $80 right off the bat just to look at it and I can't even talk to you?! Well I did it anyways. And 2 weeks later, after they only actually called me proactively twice, I found out they couldn't have my set up unless I upgrade my operating system - another $179. Uh no. I ended up going to this secureremotesupport.com place and they just had to make my system compatible and the set up works great. Geek squad is a joke, their technicians are incompetent and their prices are outrageous for the services.

Geek Squadbad service / mishandled laptop & external hard drive

I have two complaints about Geek Squad:
                      1. They mishandled and scuffed my external hard drive and laptop.
                      2. The guy that was supposed to be helping me insinuated I was lying about a laptop I no longer own.

Last week I brought my laptop, which was having power issues, to Geek Squad. They told me they needed to transfer files to my external hard drive (which cost me $100) in case they were lost during the repair. The guy helping me said after the data was transferred they would ship the computer for repair. They called me the following day to come pick up the external hard drive. The guy brought out both the drive and the laptop when I got there. The hard drive had scratches and gunk on the right side of it and my laptop had white paint on one corner like it was scratched against a wall. When I asked him about it, he said that everything is handled with the best care. If that's the case then why were my things scuffed?

As the guy was writing up the ticket to have my computer shipped for repair, he became very standoffish when it came to discussing my extended warranty. I had two showing on the receipt: one for my old laptop and one for my new laptop. He told me how he hates other best buys because they don't know how to set warranties up properly. Come to find out that neither warranty was set up properly and the one that covered the repair this time was purchased at his location.

As far as the old warranty goes, I told him not to worry about it, I explained that I brought my old Asus to Geek Squad years ago and at that time the guy told me to go switch my old laptop out for a new one. I just paid the difference for the new laptop, they voided my old warranty and I paid for a new warranty.

After explaining this, the guy helping me insisted that (because it showed on the receipt) I had my old computer and that I would have trouble with the warranty if I ever take it back to Geek Squad. I thought to myself, "Are we really having this discussion? You're really going to stand there and tell me I have a laptop that I haven't owend for almost 2 years?" At that point I dropped the issue, he obviously didn't care about what I had to say, the receipt was be-all, end-all.

Lesson learned, don't try to explain your receipt purchases to Geek Squad employees. Better yet, don't deal with Geek Squad at all, go through the manufacturer.

Geek Squad Incworst coustomer service

I bought a samsung 55 led tv and a sony internet bluray dvd player with extended warranty with geek squad from best buy. After few months i had to deal with the customer service of geek squad for repairs or to make a appointment which was the worst experience i had . I tried to make appointment on line and over the phone but was unable to do so . Every time i called i was transferred at least 6 or 7 times to different departments who were just ignorant or maybe never wanted to help to make an appointment even for my repairs. When asked for a supervisor, was put on hold for long and then came the excuse that the supervisor was busy attending a meeting .Finally after wasting a few days and long wait over the phone i gave up the thought and realized how pathetic there customer service was. My only recommendations is never buy any extended warranty from geek squad .

TheWayItIs Nov 12, 2011

If in year 1 of purchase, why are you dealing with Bleak Squad? They send the products out to the manufacturers as GS is not only not an authorized repair service, but they are also not engineers, not technicians. Year 1 = mfr. Cancel the extended plan and get at least a pro-rated refund. You are in for nightmares ahead.

Geek Squadbad customer service

On November 12th, 2009 I brought my laptop to the Geek Squad @ Best Buy in Holmdel, NJ for repair. Today, December 13th, 2009 I still do not have my HP Pavilion laptop. I depend on this notebook to run my small business and this is a huge hardship for me. Geek Squad, obviously, is mismanaging its customer service. MY MAJOR COMPLAINT: No one at the store is being proactive, or showing the slightest bit of initiative in helping me get my laptop back, fixed.

I originally had a blue screen of death problem. (November 12th visit) They kept my computer for 10 days and returned it-- not fixed.I promptly brought it back and now one thing after another, and I still do NOT have my laptop. On Decmber 6th, 2009 they "sent it out."

I called again today and was told my computer is scheduled for return on December 23, 2009...WHAT??? The fact is I brought my laptop in on November 12th and since then I have had no use of it--why should it take 6 weeks to fix a laptop????

Geek Squad Incincompetent

On more than one occassion I have brought my computer into Geek Squad. Virus removal here, installation there. They've always done the job, at a hefty cost, but I assumed that was standard. The service was never great, and it took weeks to complete the work but again, I assumed it was all the standard, and the work got done. Well once I started bringing it in for more complicated issues they started having difficulty finding out what was wrong with it. They'd diagnose and run tests (all on my dime, of course) only to tell me they can't repair it and I'm out the $$ I paid to have them find out what it was. I think keeping a customer's computer for weeks, charging them up the whole time for tests only to not have the skills to complete the repair in the end is ridiculous. When did Best Buy start standing behind their incompetent college student technicians instead of their paying customers?

I know many people who've had this experience and other bad experiences with Geek Squad. I have finally found a company that stands behind their work with friendly, efficient, educated technicians. If anyone is looking for an alternative to their unsatisfactory Geek Squad experience, go to Secure Remote Support. They're a really great nation-wide company I stumbled upon with a no fix no fee policy.

• Ti
                                TikiShades Nov 08, 2011

Anyone else find it fishy that Secure Remote Support has been "suggested" by two different complaints? That whole last paragraph read like an advertisement. :|

Geek Squadbuyer beware

I can't begin to express how awful my experience with Geek Squad by Best Buy has been. I hired them to remove a virus from my home computer. I should have known this would be a terrible experience when 10 minutes after the scheduled window of time, when I called to inquire about the exact time the associate would arrive, I was told "Sorry they called in sick, you'll need to reschedule". What?!?? They had no back up scheduled and I had already taken the morning off of work. They finally agreed to send someone to my home later in the evening, after much complaining on my part. The technician was nice enough and removed the virus, my computer booted up fine and seemed to be working. However, when I later tried to go into Microsoft Office, it was not working! Upon calling and informing Geek Squad, they told me they did what they were contracted to do (remove the virus) and aren't liable for the Office issue! What? I'm out 300+ dollars and the computer doesn't even work like it should. I would seriously consider an alternate route vs. Geek Squad for any and all computer issues.