Forever 21credit card policy

Forever 21 requires an i.d. when using a credit card, like MC or VISA. This is specifically against the credit card companies policies. Stores that agree to accept these cards are not supposed to require identification. I have run into this issue several times at Forever 21 when purchasing things with my daughter. I have refused to provide an i.d. and they refused to let me purchase the item. This is against the credit card policy, but obviously you can't stand there and argue with a clueless 20-something-year-old sales clerk.

ChiTownLove Oct 12, 2012

Is the back of your card signed? If it is, then you do not have to show ID. If your card is not signed, then yes merchants DO reserve the right to ask for ID. Merchants don't do this to inconvenience the customer, they do this for customer and company safety. I worked for Forever 21 for almost 2 and half years, and you would be surprised how many times kids would steal their parents cards and rack up a huge bill before the company got more strict with checking IDs. When this happens, or when a card is flat out stolen, the company is out the cost of those items once the victim disputes the charge. It's not fair to the company or the victim.

What I don't understand is why it's such a big deal to show your ID? All you have to do is flash the card so they can match the name to card and then they can swipe it. They're not memorizing your address or anything. It sounds like you're either paranoid or just trying to be difficult.

You should have asked for a manager and explained the situation. The situation probably would have turned out better.

• Ne
    nengIander55 Oct 12, 2012

For your information ChiTownLove their policy is if you are black ask for ID because to them all blacks are thieves and scammers. I refuse to show my ID because the only reason they ask for my ID is because I am black. I have seen them doing this to white customers as well but only because I was in the store so they don't look racist. If there were no blacks in the store they would not be asking for ID, this 20 year old girl is racist. The whole company is racist, they refuse to hire my 16 year old daughter because she is black and they claim it was because you have to be 18 to work there. That and asking for ID for whites when blacks are shopping in the store covers their butts. I want to secretly videotape them when there are no blacks in the store and see if they still ask white people for proof.

ChiTownLove Oct 12, 2012

Wow! Like I said, I worked for the company for well over 2 years so trust me, I know all about the stores policy. Feel free to ring up their customer service line and ask them how old you have to be to work for the company. They will tell you it is 18. My store turned away plenty of people of all skin colors because THEY WEREN'T 18.

Now, go get the booklet they sent with your credit card and read the rules. It will say if the card is NOT signed, they can ask for an ID! Even if it is signed, they can still ask for ID, but they cannot refuse to let you use the card for the transaction.

If you think the company is that racist, why do you keep shopping there? Like I also said, you should have asked for a manager instead of complaining like a two-year-old on this board. Feel free to secretly videotape their practices. Put it on YouTube. Go to the media! If anything at all, it MAY show that one particular employee has issues and shouldn't be in customer service if they don't like other skin colors. More than likely, it'll show that you're crazy.

You are either trolling this board, or severely paranoid. If it's the former, please get a life. If it's the latter, I suggest you make yourself a nice tinfoil hat and never leave your house again.