Having problems with Fitness First?

58 Fleets Lane, Poole, Dorset

Germany
Hanauer Landstraße 148a, 60314, Frankfurt am Main, Frankfurt, Germany
Tel: +49 6940 8016 000

India
Fitness First India Pvt. Ltd., The Dome, 5th Floor, Select Citywalk Mall, Saket New Delhi 110017
Tel: +91 12 4432 5900

Mena
P.O. Box 25030, Landmark, Hospitality Offices, Oasis Centre, Sheikh Zayed Road, Dubai, United United Arab Emirates

UK
Fitness First Ltd., 58 Fleets Lane Poole, Dorset, BH15 3BT, United Kingdom
Tel: +44 84 4571 3400

Complaints & Reviews

charged for ended contract

"We are not here to make people happy, we are here to make money" said the customer service of Saarbrücken Fitness First.

I have signed a contract for 6 months with the Fitness First Saarbrücken. Since I was an exchange student who is new in Germany, the membership consultant Nicolina Fabian (43195) spoke to me in English and told me that after my contract ends, I don't need to do anything for cancellation. Two months after my 6 months contract ended, I realized that they were still charging me monthly. When I talked to the customer service and explained the situation, the customer service told me that they need a cancellation letter and even if I sign it today ( two months after my contract ends), I still have to pay three more months to be free from the gym. Upon my request for better informing the new (especially foreign) customers, the customer service told me the following; "We are not here to make people happy, we are here to make money". Don't trust Saarbrücken branch of this company. They lie to you until you sign the contract, and then they never deal with the rest but the money. When I asked her whom to contact to complain, because I don't want to pay for 5 months that I am not using the gym, she said I cannot change anything since they have my signature, and no matter where I complain, they will not be affected by only one single member, and I have to pay in any case.

charged for ended contract

• Le
    Leonie Liu Tianyi Apr 27, 2016

This is exactly what I had encountered!
    The difference is, I actually walked in and given oral cancellation notice 1 month before (required by the contract). However, they did not cancel and did not ask me to sign any cancellation. Until I realized several month later that they're still charging me, and they denied receiving any cancellation notice (MUST BE WRITTEN) before! This is outrageous!

no refund

I am a new fitness first member who joined a 6-months period in Al-barsha, Dubai that started in the April...

unauthorized charges by neglecting membership cancellation request

To whom it may concerns,

I have requested membership cancellation on the month of january to fitness first. One of the staff from fitness first tampines received my request and given me a call. I have informed the staff that I am not convenient to go down personally due to my tight working schedule. I was advised to write in to cancel my membership. I have done what I was told and assure the membership was in the mid of cancelling by their management. I thought it was settled.

Then, I received an email from fitness first to request me to pay for the membership from february to current month. I find this ridiculous. I called fitness first tampines immediately on this issue. As I could not even remember the staff name who I spoke to on january and unable to retrieve the email that I have sent to them via website or phone call recording on the conversation, they require me to pay feb to current month. If I did not make the payment, they are unable to cancel my membership and continue to charge me. This is totally insane and I felt cheated. Why should I pay for something that I have cancelled? I did not even utilized the gym membership since january.

I need help to stop this insanity from fitness first.
Please help.

In frustration for help,
Pearly liew

contract cancellation

I worked in Germany in 2014 (starting January 31st 2014 until January 31st 2015). I joined Fitness First...

appaling service

Have been a member of fitness first hong kong for just over 8 months and have enjoyed the facilities. Decided to bring a good friend along for trial of their classes at their new location world commerce centre yesterday 21st march 2014.

Beginning with excitement, we approached service counter to check in, they requested we speak with their sales immediately. We asked the sales (named jeffrey parungao) to allow us to attend the class first and we will discuss any queries afterwards. He was reluctant to allow us to proceed and requested us to put a deposit of hk$100, we left our visa for any guarantee/deposits.

After class, we informed the front desk staff that we were ready to discuss with jeffrey on any queries. Jeffrey approaches the front desk with his sales manager - michael who proceed to request for me to immediately settle upgrade price of hk$70 for using their platinum world commerce centre. I explained that I will be upgrading to their highest grade with use of the sheraton fitness first facilities in april and was informed by the staff there to start in april. He question the validity and asks me to name the staff at the sheraton club and further questions me saying no such message is on their system. Michael then turned to my friend and ask "what is she going to do? And continues with"she needs to pay for the one day pass of hk$300" (despite that jeffrey had already confirmed this to be a one-day free trial). I requested to speak to their personnel in charge indicating that this is not how you speak to clients or potential clients. They refused to allow me to speak to any other personnel and refused to give me contact information to their headquarters.

Upon leaving, we settled the hk$300 and documented it. I will never make the mistake of bringing anyone to fitness first hong kong again.

negligence and rude staff

I am a fitness first passport member. On sunday, my younger sister c, went to the gym with me, as a guest...

worst customer service

Fitness first is the worst gym ever and provide worst customer service. They are nothing but liars n thieve...

manager, male (u. k)

Mr peter harvey
Founder, president /ceo

Dear mr harvey,
I have a previous complaint in your moa branch in manila philippines three months ago. I received two calls from one of your office. Your manager and his supervisor in moa branch commit to settle the unauthorized charges to my daughter visa card. Refund will receive on or before april 30, 2011 up to this date and time no refund from your office. What I remembered when I first complaint to the manager in moa branch I am wearing t shirt, jeans and rubber shoes. I am so surprised he is very rude, just because I am wearing jeans, t-shirt and rubber shoes he is a foreigner in our country, he can act that way please we / I need a respect. He treat only to those who are wearing a nice clothes. Please sir, I know your company most of my friends in medical field are members in your prestige company. I hope something need to be done. I am looking forward your reply sir!

Dr virgil s. Rodil
President
St michael medical hospital
Email add: [protected]@yahoo.com
Cell phone: [protected]
President - cavite private hospital association
Vice president - bacoor chamber of commerce
Past corp. Secretary-private hospital association of the philippines

overcharging

They wouldn't stop stop charging me and continue to do so

My contract was 4 months and i told them i would be leaving by then in the beginning

And 1 month before the end and also on the phone

They are still charging my 2 after contract

They must be stopped

This is outrageous

Don't join them

• Mo
    mostvisited Apr 03, 2012

I experienced the similar with Fitness First Singapore, this is terrible.

annoyx Jun 25, 2012

I would like to let those who is a first timer who wants to sign up for gym on their payment methods. Nvr sign up for recurring bills with autopay nor auto renew unless you are very sure that you wont forget to inform the gym when u want to cancel and u need to sign the release form before they consider you terminate.

Recently i am involved in this 'scam' at a gym in orchard, i agree with leonila_pramitha( after they sell you the membership there, but then they give NO service at all afterwards. They just keep on eating my money.) I signed up for their membership in yr 2010 and in the contract i remember 12 mths and i cldnt cancel within this period of time also. But recently due to some prob ddting payment from my credit card, they called and ask me for payment then i realise i had been paying additional for 1 yr. i asked for a waiver for the balance 2 mths and they rejected saying its stated auto renew in the contract and ask mi to pay for the balance 2 mths but the prob is i had been paying for nothng for the past 1 yr. And i told them i thought they shld at lest called and inform that ur one yr is up do u wan to contd, but the sales say they dont.

So ppl out there, please think carefully when signing up for gym membership and read they clauses carefully else you shall say bye bye to ur money.

• Bt
    BTJM Dec 15, 2014

Yeah fitness first sucks to hell. The consultant told me if I wanna stop I do t have to pay the termination fee. I told them I wanna freeze yet they deducted the whole month gym fees, this is so unreasonable. Have not even step into the gym for this whole month. Stupid company.

• Ta
    TaleSG Nov 30, 2015

One year later and I am still getting charged. I have physically been in to see them almost a dozen times in addition to the calls. UNBELIEVEABLE. It is criminal action that is allowed to be taken place by the authorities

Ronak Marolia Dec 07, 2016

I came back from the fitness first branches of both ORQ and 100am with he most appalling experience. I went in to cancel my membership per the conversation that we had at the time of signing of the contract after the period as instructed by the sales crew. However, I am told that I need to give one month notice, despite what the sales person committed. So I even said then its 1 month from the date, so you prorate the required amount, but they will charge me for the full month so essentially they will charge me for 60DAYS. This is absolutely unacceptable.

After I moved, I have not been going to the gym at all since the last few months, but I still honored the contract period. However, I was extremely disappointed at fitness first and the way they treat their customers. To say the least, they want to siphon off money from your potential customers. Upon looking up online for reviews, I found out that this seems to be a common practice, and fitness first is running a scam. It is unworthy of what claims to be an international brand.
    I see express mismanagement encouraged by the business and I am extremely disappointing that you are covering up your malpractices at the expense of the customer

PLEASE DO NOT JOIN FITNESS FIRST EVER. Almost any option is better than them, it seems

charges

To whom it may concern,

I joined Fitness First on last year august 2010 and due to some personal health issue i need to stop my membership.whereby I called FF maxis center to do a termination, and one of the staff did inform me that she will help me to stop the membership for me and also my Husband.On December 2010 I found that there is a deduction more than RM800 have been take place.I called my bank and check on this and according to my bank the deduction is from FF, its weird, because I already terminate the service but still they perform the deduction, and called FF maxis center and spoke to MS.Sharina one of the staff there, she can even help me on this issue whereby she keep on saying that they wont expect a termination via phone. I request to talk to their manager by the name of MS.Sophia, according to the manager she also can not do anything about it. and she promise me to freeze my and also my husband membership for 1 year. whereby she did not do her job accordingly.she only freeze mine and not my husband. When I check on my bank statement on last month February there is another deduction made about rm400. And again I called my bank to check on it and again its from FF, I called MS.Sophia again to investigate this issue and she promise to refund the amount as a urgent request whereby till today i did not receive any update from her and she make me to call her to get the update, every time I call she will not pick up the call and also will not return my call. I really fill pity to fitness first to having this kind of manager that really not responsible and also don't even care about their customer. I really hope that the department in-charge will look into this issue and refund my cash ASAP. I wouldn't be able to attach any proof but if the management wants I can send over the sms proof to a cell phone.

MakeThemStop Mar 19, 2011

They did something similar to me in Singapore

they just WONT STOP CHARGING ME

MAKE THEM STOP!!!

THey have bad customer service

and dont follow their own contracts

bad service

Dear All, I wish to inform you my unsatisfactory experience so far and of some anti-consumer practice...

customer care

Dear ff team,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to my 2 emails that I have sent to you guys previously. As such, I have discontinued my membership along with neetha and rebecca seeni. Please update your records accordingly. I have informed my bank with regards to the standing orders and with effect from today you will not be able to charge any further charged to my credit card. Please bear in mind that I will not be liable to any termination charged that you may feel like imposing as I have decided to withdraw as ff don’t care to even reply emails, telephone requests or walk in requests which we have made several times in the past 3 weeks. Since we feel so important, we have decided to terminate our memberships which we feel we are not worthy of.

Thank you all the ff team for your effort and time in spending your valuable time to read this email.

Regards

Benjamin

From: binu benjamin [mailto:[protected]@gmail.com]
Sent: thursday, 23 september, 2010 8:31 am
To: [protected]@fitnessfirst.com. Sg
Cc: neetha. [protected]@gmail.com; 'binu benjamin'; 'rebecca seeni [ksm-pur]'
Subject: re: request for extension to meet minimum sign ins

Hi guys,

If you think you guys are too busy to reply my emails, I won’t hesitate to cancel my credit card from letting you charge me and discontinue 3 memberships which is under this payment mode. And I won’t care about my contract period. If I do not receive a reply by email before the end of today, I am calling my bank to discontinue any further charges from ff and will deem myself, neetha and rebecca as no longer ff members from today.

Thanks

Binu benjamin

From: binu benjamin [mailto:[protected]@gmail.com]
Sent: sunday, 19 september, 2010 5:48 pm
To: '[protected]@fitnessfirst.com. Sg'
Cc: 'neetha. [protected]@gmail.com'
Subject: request for extension to meet minimum sign ins

Dear ff team,

Due to reasons unavoidable, me and my wife was unable to sign in the minimum required sign ins for the last month. We would like to request and extension for the time period to be clocked in to another 2 months. My wife has spoken to suraya regarding this but we have not received any reply so far.

At the same time, we would also like to check why, my wifes record do not show the same number of clock ins as me as I always go with her and she has made it to ff without me as well. But our records are entirely different which makes me wonder whether the clock in has been recorded correctly?

When I look at the clock in records, I have clocked in more than her, and the truth is, I have never made it to ff without her. At the same time, she has gone to ff without me many times. But the records states the other wise as I have made it to ff more than her. Which is not true. With regards to training sessions, (3 must be attended, which based on her records, she has only attended 2 and I have attended 4. This is not true also, as we both have attended 3 each and I believe this should have been put into my records wrongly.

I really appreciate receieving an extension for the min 8 sign ins for this month to next month and at the same time, correct the training sessions accordingly.

Look forward to your favourable reply by email as we both are currently not in singapore and will be back only next month.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Binu benjamin & neetha schendran nair
Sg80090295 & sd80090294

terrible service

I have been a member of most of the big gym chains in London (including LA Fitness, Fitness First and Virgin) and they continue to amaze me with how appalling the service is and what a bad service experience they provide.

The service is dire and they truly do not care about their customers - I know of no other business which could offer such poor customer service and stay in business.

The facilities aren't normally that good however that isn't my major gripe as they are generally clean. If you do compare them to facilities in the US though they are a lot busier and have less facilities and equipment available per member.

The worst thing however with gyms in London is the sales staff. Unbelievable people. They will literally tell you anything in order to get you to sign up. Will I get a free massage every day, of course sir; Will I be able to get a free burger and chips with each sesssion, why of course madam. The worse thing is there is no come back to these guys and there are very few alternatives, so the customer has very little power in the relationship. The number of stories I have heard where people have been mis-lead into signing a long term contract are most worrying.

For this service we have the privillege of paying somewhere between £30 - £100 per month! Have you ever actually worked out how much that costs per session? If you compare that to gym memberships in the US which average at c.$30 a month even in big cities we can be paying up to 3 to 4 times more than our transatlantic friends!

I have left all gyms behind me and am now enjoying sport at a new sports and social club called 'Come Play Sport' which is more fun, sociable and much cheaper! Until London gym's start concentrating on the customer, re-think their pricing models and invest in modern facilities I won't be going back soon. Hopefully this petition will encourage more people to do the same and force the gym chains to take some action.

• Ka
    Katie bamford Feb 27, 2013

I have been a member of fitness first for around 3 years but recently had a injury which stopped me from being able to use the gym. I phone up and told them and they agreed to put my account on hold until I was better. Then when I got my bank statements they had tried to take the money for 3 months and because there was no money in the account resulted in me gettin hefty bank charges!! Which makes my blood boil!! Then to my disgust I get a letter through the door from a debt collection agency demanding £77 or there taking me to court. I have never in my whole life been so annoyed!!! I have been a loyal member for all this time and this is how they treat you! I have since phone up about 6 times to cancel my membership and they won't let me because my account is in arrears. The customer service team and the managers are rude unhelpful and are just after your money. How dare they tell me I can't cancel my membership!!! At the end of the day I'm not even using the gym and haven't in 99 days so what exactly am I paying for??? When I spoke to the manager she said its like when you buy a car on finance you can't just cancel it!!! Yes love but you actually get to keep the car! What the f*** am I getting for my money??? Apart from a bunch of money grabbing, uneducated robbing ###! Fitness first?? You should change your name to money first fitness second. Because of them I've totally lost confidence and will probably never join anything again. I hope they get shut down! Miss bamford, York

membership

Following my trainer's resignation from California Fitness, I had signed up for a 2 years membership with Fitness First.<br />
<br />
After 6 months, due to personal reasons, my trainer is forced to resign. I was told that I had to pay $500 termination fee as a penalty shall i decide to give up my membership.<br />
<br />
Now, the difference between a 12mth and 24mth membership is $20(monthly). <br />
Even if they had surcharged me an additional of $20 x 6mths (duration of my membership), it is only $120.<br />
I had made my stand that I do not mind paying a penalty of $200(penalty for a 12 month membership) but $500 is ridiculous.<br />
<br />
I would also like to comment on the professionalism of the Fitness Manager whom, knowing that I was the client of his staff, made several attempts to invite me for swimming sessions. <br />
<br />
I am also amused by the method of dissuasion the General Manager of the club used. She told me that "there are better trainers" other than the one whom i'm currently engaging without giving consideration to the fact that if, without my currently engaged trainer, I wouldn't even have joined the club. <br />
<br />
I had been told that I would be given a response within a week. It has been 11 days now and I am still waiting.<br />
<br />
I see my membership experience with Fitness First a horrible one and would deter anyone from seriously considering a long term membership with them.<br />
Jolin Guo

• 12
    12ff Jan 05, 2011

I completely agree. Fitness First has a "Body First" program where they promise a substantial reimbursement when you visit FF for three months a minimum of 8 times a month. Well, we never received it even after documenting every single visit. The management staff of FF Paragon (Orchard Road) was lying to us at several situations.

Think twice if you consider joining Fitness First - it's not worth it.

deceptive billing

This is a horrible mess. I have tried to discuss this matter with the local club manager and personnel at the Frederick corporate office and have received no assistance. The local manager is dismissive and claims he does not have access to my account due to a computer system problem. He refers me to the Frederick office and the Frederick office refers me to back to the local manager. I have left voicemails requesting assistance yet have never received a response.

I became a member only five months ago yet have been charged over $1, 400. This is astronomically! I am being debited $240 a month!! My credit card company has charged multiple fees, raised the annual percentage rate and has threatened to cancel my account due to overage.

After initiating the family membership I approached the manager to be shown how to use equipment by a qualified staff member; requested a fitness assessment; and advice on an appropriate exercise routine. I was concerned my children and I could injury ourselves unless we knew how to properly use the equipment. The manager responded he could not demonstrate equipment use and I had to make an appointment with a trainer. I felt this was odd, but made an appointment. We met with the trainer two days later and he walked me through several exercise techniques and the use of some equipment. It was a high-pressure aggressive sales pitch that completely confused me. I was already member of the club, I did not understand why he was insisting I recommit.

At the end of the half-hour demonstration the trainer persisted that to obtain any results I had to meet with a trainer weekly. I again explained I was a member of the club at $100 a month. The trainer stated for $140 per month my membership would include weekly session with a trainer. He walked away several times stating he was trying to get clearance for this reduced rate from his manager. I asked if there was materiel I could look over and get back to him in a few days. He really, really wanted me to take advantage of this exceptional discount and stated he could not hold the offer. I agreed and he advised the new rate would be billed to my same credit card. My first meeting with a trainer was scheduled for a week later. I have since changed trainers three times due to the clubs high turnover.

Several weeks later I learned from my credit card company that I was billed $100 and $140 from the fitness club. I was annoyed but not overly alarmed; I assumed it was a billing error and called the local club manager. He was unconcerned, dismissive, and claimed the computer systems were down. He also stated he could not handle billing issues and I needed to contact the Frederick office.

The Frederick staffers stated over and over my contract was binding. Apparently the 3-grace days for cancellation had passed. I was never told about the extremely limited cancellation policy. I had not met with a trainer within 3-days and I was not aware of the billing issue in 3-days. How would I have known there would be a problem? I stated to her I was not requesting to cancel, but to clear up the duplicate billing. The staffer further explained that the $100 and $140 were separate membership. The $100 covered my club membership and the $140 was the trainer fee. I repeatedly explained that was not the terms I agreed to, I had no desire nor could I maintain two memberships. I am a single parent of two teenage boys and I came to the club for assistance. My children and I are not physically fit and this was my attempt to bring us to better health. Instead the membership was ruining my credit and creating an unbearable financial burden to my meager budget.

This is a horrible mess that must be rectified immediately. I was coerced into signing complicated binding contract without proper explanation. Regrettably, I researched Fitness First after this financial turmoil began. I learned this is a common complaint with other members -- overcharging and creating legally binding contracts that are hard to break or receive a refund. Multiple cases also exist where direct debit accounts are still debited after the member has cancelled their membership.

staff attitude and fraud

On July 10th I have introduced friend of my to Fitness first, since I had been royal member for nearly year. I have introduced my friend to Edison Ng, membership consultant who work for Pragon Fitness First 8 Floor.
He had told if I introduced friend then I will be able to get discount from my original membership fee of SGD 149.
I have not known this promotion but he was very insisted to ask my friend to join to fitness first. By the time Trans Chau who is my friend was comparing price range with California fitness.
After all she deiced to join, and I should have discount of SGD 20 for introducing two friends of mine.

The agent Edison promises to change my original price to SGD 129 (total)
After all up till now every month I have asked to get paid SGD 149. I have paid of Aug and he promised again to change my price due to his accounting side had a problem
and he asked me to fill in two forms for discount for SGD 20 which I have given them to him on beginning of Aug.

Up till now I have treated very badly to your receptionist on Nov 3rd when I asked to pay for sep and oct. The agent Edison Ng was not received call from the receptionist when she call to confirm. Since my payment has over due and even had terminated on Nov 5th. I have spoken to Edison Ng and he told me this had been mistake.

It had been very disappointed experience and feel offended by your staff members especially Edison Ng.
Its very clear to me that I should have SGD 129 and I am willing to pay for this amount however its because of sales staff had not been settled accounting side .
And why would I have to receive such a treat ?! its because of I have introduced my friend ? And eventually your sales person get commission so he doesn’t care what he promised ?
If this business practice is what you had trained this absolutely need to change.
I would like to ask to immediate effect for my monthly membership fee to SGD 129. Since it had been promised.

rockybalboa Mar 24, 2012

bro you are very right...fitness first sales and recpetion staff is totally bad. they accuse the customer upfront because we are in contract and when we ask them to be polite they say, terminate the contract, we dont care.

rockybalboa Mar 24, 2012

They even called me a liar and to top it all, its been more than 4 months now tht am their member, they havent even given me complete goodies...everytime they say they are out of it...

bad service

I joined Fitness First in March 2009, one of my main stipulations when joining was that there was no penalty to leave and not commited for a period of time in case my health condition. When this did actually happen in 28 oct 2009, I phoned Fitness First Menara Axis to ask to cancel my membership and direct debit. I was told that I was tied in for 12 months and this was disclosed on my contract. I protested on the grounds that I have never received my contract.

I decided to write to NCCC and outline the situation as a formal complaint. I contacted the outlet manager named Kenneth and he told me told I couldn’t cancel my membership without paying penalty of RM 465. I declared that I would be cancelling my membership due to my foot’s tendon just did surgery and my orthopaedic doctor adviced me and issued a letter stated that i need to rest at home for 2 months and not to do heavy exercise for next 6 months, meant 8 months can’t work out gym. But they said management still required me to pay the penalty according to the contract i signed.

I did sign a document in the gym to join the club membership, as I remember sales person din not menion to me that i need to commit to the membership of 12 months. Then now only they tell me that i couldn’t cancel it without paying penalty and has really annoyed me! The sales people – called Calvin ( Indian guy ) used his tactics to make me sign the contract, often lying...

The contract won’t lets me cancel within the first twelve months on medical grounds, and even then i have a doctors note to say im unable to train for a period of eight months . Other than cancel, the outlet manager adviced me can 'freeze' my membership...this entails still paying the 20% fees of RM 170 or transfering my membership to another person.

And another issue is i would like to claim back the bodyfirst training which is money back guarantee if dissatisfaction. When i signed up the club, the sales person convinced me to taking the bodyfirst training and i can claim back my training fees of RM 149 after the training. The only condition to claim back the money is i must complete the training of 3 course within 14 days. But i did fill up the money guarantee back form on May 2009, but no news about the money return back. I check with the receptionist for so many time but no response also. I also left message that ask them to call me back but nobody call me back after that. I felt disappointed for the illresponsible and bad customer service.

Any advice from here would be appreciated, I have not used the gym since oct and I would like to reclaim approx RM170 for oct I have paid since my leg injured when the accident happen on early of Oct.

no cancellation membership even even then I have a doctors note to say im unable to train for a period of eight months

I joined fitness first in march 2009, one of my main stipulations when joining was that there was no penalty to leave and not commited for a period of time in case my health condition. When this did actually happen in 28 oct 2009, I phoned fitness first menara axis to ask to cancel my membership and direct debit. I was told that I was tied in for 12 months and this was disclosed on my contract. I protested on the grounds that I have never received my contract.

I contacted the outlet manager named kenneth and he told me told I couldn’t cancel my membership without paying penalty of rm 465. I declared that I would be cancelling my membership due to my foot’s tendon just did surgery and my orthopaedic doctor adviced me and issued a letter stated that I need to rest at home for 2 months and not to do heavy exercise for next 6 months, meant 8 months can’t work out gym. But they said management still required me to pay the penalty according to the contract I signed.

I did sign a document in the gym to join the club membership, as I remember sales person din not mention to me that I need to commit to the membership of 12 months. Then now only they tell me that I couldn’t cancel it without paying penalty and has really annoyed me! The sales people – called calvin (indian guy) used his tactics to make me sign the contract, often lying...

The contract won’t lets me cancel within the first twelve months on medical grounds, and even then I have a doctors note to say im unable to train for a period of eight months. Other than cancel, the outlet manager adviced me can 'freeze' my membership... This entails still paying the 20% fees of rm 170 or transfering my membership to another person.

And another issue is I would like to claim back the bodyfirst training which is money back guarantee if dissatisfaction. When I signed up the club, the sales person convinced me to taking the bodyfirst training and I can claim back my training fees of rm 149 after the training. The only condition to claim back the money is I must complete the training of 3 course within 14 days. But I did fill up the money guarantee back form on may 2009, but no news about the money return back. I check with the receptionist for so many time but no response also. I also left message that ask them to call me back but nobody call me back after that. I felt disappointed for the illresponsible and bad customer service.

Any advice from here would be appreciated, I have not used the gym since oct and I would like to reclaim approx rm170 for oct I have paid since my leg injured when the accident happen on early of oct.

Thanks in advance for any replies, they are greatly appreciated.

Thanks & regards,
Michelle chew
[protected]@yahoo.com

bad experience

My husband has had a bad experience of the above two club taking out the membership fee for almost a year after his contract had ended. The gym did not agree we had cancelled the contract although this assitional year was beyond the initial contract period. The direct debit was set up into our savings account which we generally do not monitor. We found out just last week and we have been requesting for refunds and cancellation. They just refuse to even listen. Does anyone know what we can do in this situation. Is there any way we can get the refund of our almost £1000 which drained our savings.

Annonomous bla May 01, 2013

Fitness first Owners are Obsoletely Fraud organization contact consumer affairs or
    Consumer support forum should be there place around where you live contact them and
    Make a written Police complaint against them and if it is possible, especially against centre manager as they are millionaires ripping the insolent people's money. Don't trust these people..Don't sign the contract.. Don't risk your bank balance by Joining as member at "Fitness First". You must fight hard otherwise they don't refund your money..

taking money without my signing a contract

I have a serious issue with fitness first. I have signed no contracts as I only visited once using a free day pass after having received an email from you. Then after receiving a phone call from the particular branch in peterborough near west wood on lime kiln road, I gave my card details over the phone and was told to come in to sign the contract before any money came out of my account. I was told by greg at the branch that the first payment of 36 pounds would come out on the 1st september after the contract was signed. After this phone call I unfortunately had to move back to the cotswolds due to a family members ill health and upon receiving my bank statement it is apparent that fitness first took 36 pounds out of my account on the 17th august and then again on the 1st september, as I have said I have signed no contracts and feel absolutely disgusted that money has been taken out of my bank without authorisation. I have used the gym only once as I said, I was not given an induction and no one was there for me to spk to apart from a polish lady who knew nothing about anything in the branch other then to give me access I was left to work out the machines on my own. Having being told that no money would come out of my bank until the 1st september after the contracts were signed, I moved back to the cotswolds thinking that I would re join when I move back providing the professionalism was there in terms of me having a proper induction and some idea of what is available and classes etc. I feel I have been let down in a big way by fitness first and I am requesting the total you have taken out of my barclays bank account to be returned without delay. Totalling £72. I want someone to check on your systems that I have only used the gym once on a free day pass and that I have signed no contracts. I will take this as far as it takes to get my money back as I feel this is totally unacceptable.

My details are: nichola brown

Address when my details were taken over the phone: 180 watergall peterborough pe3 8nh

marx_action Oct 05, 2009

i just hope, we victims, could have a joint effort to bring fitness first down. you know, something like a thousand(maybe even a million) signatures coming from complainants. there should be voting of worst experience ever that could be brought to hearing, if ever we'd bring this on court for legal actions

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices