Enterprise Rental Carservice

My experience with Enterprise car rental beginning on April 23, 2017, has been the worst customer service I, or my husband, have ever experienced in our 20+ adult years. The staff seemed more interested in having a social hour with each other while attempting to conduct business, leaving the customer feeling more like a nuisance than a needed, or even wanted, customer. We were in a desperate situation, having to have one of our personal vehicles put in the shop, unexpectedly, only 30 minutes earlier. I had to go out of town for a wedding, so we had to have a rental car. Our experience got much worse several days after driving off the lot with our seven-day rental car.

All of the following details are important to explain the situation so my apologies early on for this letter's length and details that may appear irrelevant, at first, but they will make sense by the end. My husband took the rental to work that night. He goes in at 9:00 p.m. and does not leave until Monday at noon and as is routine every weekend, his car remains in the same spot the entire time. Once he parks the car and walks into work, he has no reason to return to it until he leaves work on Monday (although he can see it from his office at a distance; just not close up and just to throw this in-he sleeps in a provided room at work!) Also, when he leaves there on Monday, he goes straight to another job with no time for dilly-dally. So, as he's leaving work this past Tuesday, imagine his surprise when he notices tags that expire THAT DAY! Enterprise has rented us a car for seven (7) days with the 30-day tags on them expiring in three (3) days!

My husband called the Enterprise location where he rented the car from his cell and told them of the situation only to be told "We know. The tags came in the mail yesterday." Why did they not know before the tags came? Is that not an extremely important detail to know before renting a car to someone? My husband told them he would come by Enterprise to get the tags, making him late for work, as they sure didn't offer any solutions. He then called work to double-check staffing and realized there was no way he could be late that day (patient lives are a bit more important!) and called Enterprise back to figure out a solution. What was the employee's solution at Enterprise? "We're sorry about that but YOU can just come pick them up tomorrow!" (i.e. just drive it with the dead tags!) This was not a satisfactory answer for us. Neither one of us felt comfortable driving with expired tags on the rental car; even if we happened to get pulled over but received no ticket, it is an unacceptable way to do business, in our opinion. We wouldn’t do it with our personal vehicles, so why do it in a car that we have paid to rent.

The employees did not offer any suggestions. My husband suggested they bring the tags to him at work, which was only 20, or so, minutes away (but in the opposite direction my husband drives so had he went to Enterprise, he would be approx. 45 min. late to work). The employee said she would call back with an answer in a few minutes and true to her word, she called back within five minutes. She told my husband that someone would have the new car tags to my husband that day at work. Not surprisingly with how business had been conducted up to that point, no one showed up with the tags. Out of frustration, my husband called the 800 number for enterprise and although that employee was apologetic, he had no answers. Honestly, there was nothing the 800# employee could do.
My husband had an important, early morning appointment out of town the next day and I was still out of town with our car. So, he had to drive the rental car, once again, with those dead tags! Had the appointment not been an urgent matter, he surely would have preferred not to risk getting a ticket and drive straight to Enterprise, instead.

My husband was finally able to pick the tags up after his appointment, around 2:00 p.m. When he asked the employee why no one showed up with the tags the previous day, the response was "I don't know." Finally, my husband, who never raises his voice at anyone, began venting his frustrations, loudly, at the service we'd received since day one. The employee did begin to apologize profusely but the damage was already done as far as he was concerned and I can't say that I blame him.
Once again, my apologies for the length. I seek nothing in return in writing this letter; insurance will be reimbursing us when we get our own car back, so I’m not even sure why I’m posting it as the readers can really gain nothing from it. I think I am so upset about this entire situation because I have always taken pride in my work and had I been the Enterprise employee, I would have delivered those tags no matter what! Even if it meant doing so on my own time because after all, I promised that customer I would be there and come heck or high water, I would have!

RESOLVED

• Enterprise Rent-A-Car's response · Dec 12, 2010

We're listening and I apologize for the confusion over the debit card policy. The office should have made you aware of what to bring with you when you contacted them about using a debit card when you were making your reservation on line. If you would like to discuss the situation further, please email care[at]enterprise.com with your contact information and any further details of the incident. Please use "Incident [protected]" as the subject of the email. (Rich)

• Enterprise Rent-A-Car's response · May 05, 2010

I completely understand your frustration and apologize for this issue. Furthermore, I would like to address this with management.

Please email me: [email protected] with you and your husbands full name, the exact rental location and the rental agreement number (starts with "D" and is followed by six-digits, all numbers). Also, if you have the name of the employee that was supposed to come drop off the tags, that would be helpful.

When emailing please list reference #[protected] in the subject line.

- Elizabeth with Enterprise Rent-A-Car

• Sh
    shanikabeme Nov 26, 2012

Enterprise is known for false damage claims

• Iz
    IZZY18 May 25, 2012

So long story short I rented a car from enterprise I got stuck with an impala due to the weekend in maryvale, az. When monday came I changed the car for a ford focus less money at gilbert, az. So check this out I got a flase claim for $518.55 bull # on the drivers side. For damage that big it would have been noticed, I was checked out fine when I left the gilbert office. When I get the letter I call the gilbert office about it and nancy the girl who checked me out that day feels sorry acts like she care and of course she would of noticed that big of a damage done to the car (so she says). She ends up blaming the maryvale office were I first got the impala?? For the charges?? Makes no #ing sense why would that office charge me for damage for the car I got in gilbert. The manager luis at the maryvale office was upset that he was being blamed for the ford focus I got and return to the same gilbert office at. I talked to the adjuster that didn’t know # either. A bunch of stupid #. So nothing got resolved now im stuck getting sent to collections when this is what I didn’t want happening. Thanks enterprise for #ing another customer over..

• Go
    Goldy Oct 20, 2011

I rented a vehicle from this company's 10501 Page St. Louis, Mo 63132 location from 12/10/09-1/27/2017. I was only supposed to be charged $908.11 plus a $261.07 deposit. However this company ended up over charging me by $263.34. While trying to resolve this issue with Andy, the manager of this location, he placed me on hold for long periods of time. I had a job loss over this and a free rental is very unacceptable and another slap in he face so to speak! I am experiencing 'job loss', depression, and had to apply for assistance with the state regarding food stamps just to stay abroad in my family. Again a free rental is VERY unacceptable and I am seeking compensation of at least $908.11 or I will be seeking representation from a lawyer if I have to due to my job loss of over two years from this incident!

• Fl
    flex19146 Aug 02, 2011

Ok I guess I'm another victim by enterprise rental (7001 Essington Ave). I rented a minivan on July 28, 2017 one scatch was noted a misaligned bumper was pointed out but not noted. Today ( Aug 2, 2017) I take minivan back and all hell break loose. The lady at front desk Kim didn't wont to hear anything I had to say, oh it's your fought or you shouldn't sign contact without that being listed on there (misaligned bumper). To make a long story short they will rip you off (enterprise) don't believe just do your research on here some many people got the same story.

• Be
    Ben Coleman Dec 11, 2010

I signed up for the $9.99/day weekend deal on the web. When I went to pick up the car I wanted to pay with a debit card. The rep said I needed a utility bill. I produced one, then she said I needed two. I got upset, said it didn't say anything about this on the web. She said the site says "please call us if you're using a debit card." After I got home, without a rental car, I went back to the site and reserved a car again. Their site says NOTHING about any difference between a debit and credit card when you process the $9.99 deal.

It seems really unfair that this company wasted so much of my time. Also, their customer service reps aren't very good. They ought to be doing as much as they can to avoid the public having to deal with customer service.

Overall I had a VERY poor experience with this company. It will be a VERY LONG time before I do business with them again.

• Ju
    just want to be better May 06, 2010

Thank You for your reply ! Good Luck !!

• Si
    singletonmb May 05, 2010

Thank you for responding, Elizabeth. I will get the rental agreement from my husband tonight and will email you with all requested information tomorrow. I finally feel like an employee has heard me and seems to agree that what happened to us is just not right. I appreciate that your willingness to help resolve this.

Reply to Just Want to Be Better: We have rented from them previously (not this particular place) with no issues, as well, but it has been a long time ago. We still have the rental car and I did not want to list the town/city, just in case :o)

I'm not looking to cause them to lose any business because it is the fault of a local place, not Enterprise as a whole, IMO. No one seemed to be hearing us that this IS a big issue and it is the reason I ended up here. It's not something to brush off, as has been done up until Elizabeth from Enterprise responded to this complaint (above).

Have a great day!

• Ju
    just want to be better May 04, 2010

WHAT STATE ARE YOU IN ? AND WHAT TOWN ?
    I HAVE BEEN W/ THEM AS A CUSTOMER FOR 20 YRS. AND I LIKE THEM A LOT.

• Ro
    Roy Mar 11, 2009

The dirty Mercury Mariner I received for rental ended up with a A/C condenser leak. After calling Enterprise emergency services,
    they towed the car which broke down leaving me stranded. They offered to have a car for me first thing Monday morning.
    By Monday evening they still did not have a car as promised. Budget rental saved me.

Two weeks later I receive a bill from Enterprise for the repair cost. I was livid to say the least. I attempted to call them and was only
    able to leave messages. I thought if I put them on speed dial I could call every 5 minutes. They finally answered.

They said I ran over something to cause a hose to rupture underneath the car. Well they were not Mechanically inclined,
    the A/C condenser is under the hood in front of the car behind the grill half way up. I am still waiting for them to call me back.

Question: Did they already file their own claim and receive payment from their own insurance ? Then expect me to pay in additionwhich certainly was a mechanical failure ? That double dipping to me.

Conclusion: Avoid Enterprise Rent a Car and tell your friends !

Thanks for listening,

Roy

• Valerie Oct 21, 2008

I put in a reservation for a rental car on Sunday, Oct. 5, 2017 to pick up on Friday, Oct. 10, 2017. I put in the reservation thru the 800 # thinking everything was going to be fine, since this is the first time we do business with Enterprise Rental Car. Just to be sure we did have a valid reservation, We called the physical business location where we were scheduled to pick up the car to confirm the reservation and they confirmed. Now the nightmare begins...On Friday, My Wife and 7 year old son arrive to Enterprise in Sugarland Tx (Manager Name AJ) to pick up vehicle and to pay, My wife hands the employee Our Visa Debit Card and they plainly refuse it stating there policy is only to accept Credit Card or my wife will need to have a utility bill with her name on it in order for enterprise to accept a visa debit card. What??? Your telling me a lousy utility bill is more valuable than a TX DRL ...Makes no sense.I completely understand company policy, however we were never informed by the 800# Rep on Sunday or when we confirmed on Wednesday that we need to bring a credit card or utility bill. By the way, we do own credit cards, however, they stay at home and we prefer to pay cash for everything using our visa debit card. We escalated it to AJ the manager and he was no help at all.. just to require my wife to drive back home ( 20 miles away) and either bring a cc or utility bill. I was extremely unhappy with the manager not to offer any other alternatives and this is definitely the last time we do business with Enterprise. If we would have been properly informed we would of been prepared. I called the customer service number to complain and after telling her my story, she passed the buck to someone else and again I had to explain my situation again. I spoke with a rep by the name of kevin in the St. Louis Help desk who was completely unprofessional and rude. I asked for AJ's District Manager's name and phone # or Corporate ph # and he refused to provide this to me. It is ironic, when Enterprises Customer Service Reps answer the phone they say" Thank you for calling Enterprise where Customer service is a way of life" ...OBVIOUSLY THIS IN NOT TRUE FOR ENTERPRISE RENTAL CAR AND THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE TRULY DOES NOT REFLECT THIS. PLEASE, IF ANY ONE WHO READS THIS NEEDS TO RENT A CAR, DO NOT CHOOSE TO DO BUSINESS WITH ENTERPRISE RENTAL CAR...PASS IT ALONG!!!