Having problems with eBay?

2211 North First Street
Fri8:00 AM - 10:00 PM
Sat9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sun9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

Resolved selling on ebay & using paypal services? heed my warning

Before you consider selling your product on Ebay and using their PayPal service please read this!

Ebay and PayPal are one! When you list an item to sell on Ebay you are practically " forced" to set up a PayPal account. Read all PayPal agreements!
When you list your item Ebay makes money up front regardless if your item sells or not. Ebay makes money when the sale is made. Now the buyer sends the money to your PayPal account. PayPal can take a percentage too! You need to add all of these fees up before you list or you may end up in the red!

If you decide it is worth it (there are several other auction sites that are better than Ebay!) consider this.

My story: I sign up as a seller. I type in my .com seller name. NOPE. I can't do THAT! It is a violation of Ebay's policy. Oh well. I enter another seller name. I decide to sell some first edition books signed by the authors. I figure in all the various fees and add them in and list the books.

I decide to look at other Ebay sellers who sell the same type products. Low and Behold I find a major book seller who has a .com name. In addition he has sponsered links that link him to the web for other type products for sale. He is not only able to direct buyers to his own web site, he is an affiliate marketer on Ebay. I think about how great this is! I'll do it to.

BUT I CAN'T. It's against Ebay policies. What? I question why this seller is allowed these priviledges and I'm told if I ask again my e-mails will be TRASHED & NOT ANSWERED!

A few MINUTES later I get an e-mail from PayPal and my account is frozen due to suspicious high risk conduct! I can't get my money. I have $1400 in the account and I can't get it out, HOWEVER I AM ALLOWED TO DEPOSIT MONEY INTO THE ACCOUNT!! Can you believe it? I have all of the documentation. Any attorneys interested? Please post a response.

As of today I still can't get my money.

In closing. The website that sells and buys books, www.flatsigned.com, bought a book from me just prior to all of this. I had a book listed on Ebay and he was high bidder. I sent the book to him. He declared it fake. I refunded his money and asked him to return the book. He still has the book!! Ebay and PayPal will not help me get the book back. The buyer said if I e-mail him again (I e-mailed him twice) he will file harrassment charges.

Ebay and PayPal do not adhere to their policies. They DO NOT protect buyers! They are unfair to sellers! Ebay's seller fees are outrageous. BEWARE!

• Mo
    Moochums Feb 01, 2009

Oh God I agree! I sold an X-Box one Ebay, the buyer "claimed" he never got it and demanded a refund. I had documentation that he picked up the item, but I guess that wasn't good enough for PayPal. They refunded his money and then made ME pay THEM back. ### PayPal and Ebay.

• Ba
    bamargeracom Aug 07, 2009

I signed up to ebay about a month ago, and was subject to and experienced the Ebay/Paypal Monopoly first hand. I did not want to use Paypal to accept payments as I already have my own merchant account with First Data and they are half the price of Paypal. When listing my first item, I scrolled to the part where it asked how I would like to be paid. I un-checked Paypal, and checked credit card. On the next screen it said that in order to accept credit cards I had to fax a copy of my merchant account invoice to them to prove to them that I can support this method of payment. I faxed them the necessary documents, and the games began. 2 days went by and no message from them about what was going on. Then I called them and was asked why I did not want to use paypal, and that it is the preferred payment of ebay. I explained to them my situation, and they said they would look into the situation, and they would get back to my via email. I waited another 2 days, and nothing. I called them again, and they brought me to the listing page, and they walked me through and told me to click Paypal for payments accepted, and I told them I did not want to accept Paypal, and they were dumbfounded and did not know what to do. They knew nothing about how to integrate my merchant account. They told me I have to wait for T&S to contact me. The next morning I called them again, and was once again told to just use Paypal and recieved a pitch on how they were safe and secure. I asked to speak to a manager, and they told me the manager was not available. I then called again and they finally got to the bottom of things. I listed a couple of items, and after the first one ended, the buyer told me there was no way for him to pay. I called ebay again and they told me there was a "Pay Now" button in the email that was automatically sent to them after the auction ended. The buyer told me there was nothing there. I got this same response from every winning bidder that day. I called ebay and they once again told me that I should accept Paypal for payments until they get the situation fixed. I told them I would not pay for the listing fees so far and they told me I have to pay them, and that it is like listing an ad in the paper and the listing fees are non-refundable. The next day they told me that they fixed the problem, and then I listed a couple items, and everything seemed to be good, until the first auction was down to the last minute. The account was blocked by Paypal, and I was informed that they needed more information on my Paypal account in order for the account suspension to be lifted. I called ebay and they told me the block was from Paypal. I called Paypal and they asked for my SS# and receipts for the items I was selling. I told them I never opened a Paypal account, and they told me regardless, they would still need the information in order to lift the suspension, and until then, the account would remain blocked. I called Ebay and they told me there was in fact a Paypal account linked to my ebay account and that there was nothing they could do. Now, I NEVER opened a Paypal account nor did I link it to my ebay account. To me, this is yet another shady desperate attempt by Ebay to force new members that do not know any better to use Paypal to accept Paypal so they can make money from every angle. When I call them and tell them this whole scenario, they ask me if there is anything they can help me with, otherwise the phone call will be disconnected. They no longer respond to my email regarding this and they told me that if I keep contacting them through ebay live chat that they would bring up charges for Harassment. What a way to run a company. I also notice that when you post ANY negative comments about ebay that are valid in the ebay forums, the comments are removed and you are banned from posting in their forums. They are trying to cover up anything negative about their company, but truth be told..., check out Ebay and Paypal on the Better Business Bureau and see all the complaints they have since January. There are well over 10, 000 of them. Ebay soon will be a thing of the past and they will continue to lose thousands of members a week to Amazon, just like me.

• Co
    concernedcitizen2010 Jun 14, 2010

Paypal is a NIGHTMARE to deal with!!! I, too, have had many of the same problems listed above. After years of dealing with them, they decided one of my products (which is perfectly legal!!!) 'violated their rules'. They told me to remove Paypal as a payment option, which I did. I removed ALL of the links from my eBay auctions. They reinstated me.

Then, a couple of days later I get an email saying I am yet again suspended. Turns out two buyers managed to pay via Paypal. I took a look at the auction link. Nope. No Paypal as payment option. I looked at the invoice. Lo and Behold, there it was. EBay (I'm assuming. Or Paypal...) had put Paypal as an option to pay!!! Even after I had physically gone through each and every listing to remove them and add another method!

I contacted Paypal about it, but they could care less. They said I was at fault!!! That I 'should have reversed the payment or refused it." WTF!?!? I didn't even KNOW they had gone through until AFTER they froze my account, which didn't allow me to do ANYTHING with it! I wrote them again. I called, had the rep look at the listing. (One guy even commented I had a line on there that said "DO NOT PAY WITH PAYPAL!") They still didn't care. What a bunch of jerks!!!

THEN, I requested my money to be mailed to me. That was a nightmare, too. Again, had to jump through all their hoops. Emails sent back to me were returned with an answer, but obviously they hadn't even read my emails. I finally wrote them back a final time, asking if they even read the emails they get. A final phone call to them did get action and they sent me my check, less, of course, their $1.50 'processing fee'. I've read about others that have had Paypal do the same to them and hold thousands of dollars for 180 days, too!

Resolved quick authentication service does not protect the buyer.

One day Ebay and PSA decided that they both could make a fortune under the guise of a new business called PSA...

Resolved fake 1st edition book s on ebay, alert!!

Nosebooks sold me a fake stated "first edition" of the catcher in the rye. Title/copyright page pasted in. Razor marks in gutter, uneven pages. Seller has history of selling fake books/fake signatures dating back a couple years evident in follow-ups to her deceptive 100% feedback. Multiple fake books soldby nosebooks is too coincidental to be an oversight. A possible professional book restorer?? The fake copy was hard to detect without magnification and black light. Be aware... Check your book purchases no matter how long ago you bought them.

• Bi
    Biblionaire_ Jul 07, 2010

In December 2008, Ebayer NOSEBOOKS / JJ BOOKS "Joan" sold to me a FAKE 1st Edition of The Catcher in the Rye. When I discovered the fraud, I promptly notified Ebay, they investigated my claim, reviewed all the pictorial evidence, and refunded all my money. UPDATE: As of 2010, Nosebooks has been banned from Ebay for selling FAKE editions and Fake signatures. She has been reported numerous times to the Gov't Dept. of INTERNET Crime. NOSEBOOKS is now in retalliation mode against me (and others) and is slandering my good name. But the TRUTH alwyas wins out! Written by Biblionaire

Resolved ebay insider tells all

I posted this at the feedback forum at eBay but it was killed by staff less than a minute later. I should have known. My ID will be toast soon anyway. This was the only other place I thought where my statement might have an impact. Do with it what you will. After Chicago, my only desire is to be heard.
There will be those who will not believe me and I sympathize. I wish the facts were fiction but to deny what I know would be to live in a fairyland of make-believe. I understand that the bulk of this “manifesto” reveals a plot so against the spirit of eBay that it will be dismissed as lie. So be it. I cannot force the world to accept it. All I can do is state the truth as I know it and leave it to you and to your common sense and experience to judge.

The deck is stacked against me. Aside from the natural resistance to believe I know that the boards are stocked with eBay’s tools. Their goal will be to discredit me. I will be accused of being a “disgruntled”, “paranoid”, and “emotional” seller. Their words will be specially chosen for effect. That is part of the function of the tools and I am not fazed by it. However, to protect my own identity within the corporation, I cannot be too specific lest the details single me out to the powers that be.

What I intend to reveal is common knowledge to many in the management division behind the scenes.

By the way, the tools are not only the mouthpieces that promote the policies. The psychological tactics employed by the powers that be are far deeper and grander than that. The subtlety of the method is remarkable. The tools come in a wide range of flavors with their own, individual “characteristic” rhetoric. From those who are “for” the policy - and spread various degrees of hostility toward the sellers - to those who are “against” the change - and spread panic and further the divide with the buyers. Both serve the same exact purpose: a manipulation designed to remove the more involved and savvy small to large sellers who will not fit into eBay’s future business plan.

First, let me correct the record regarding the concept of sellers extorting positive feedback. While the violation was known to happen, the activity amounted to less than a tenth of a percent of the yearly transactions. Further, it involved sellers whose feedback percentages were below 80%. The absolute majority of sellers did not engage in such practices. Nevertheless, the powers that be could not resist the fact that promoting this notion of feedback extortion as a wide-spread phenomenon would be the perfect cover with which to hide the true intentions of the policy.

The powers that be want to transform eBay into an overstock warehouse venue. A kind of outlet store for the internet much like a cheaper and streamlined version of Amazon. From a strictly business point of view, given the size of eBay and the growing costs of doing business, it makes a certain kind of sense to shift gears. Think about it: when eBay started, sellers were about rare and unique items but here and now the majority of items are common, used counterparts of what can be found new online at retail sites. Truly rare and unique items are sold at real auctions; the “stuff in your attic” isn’t glamorous enough and won’t keep eBay afloat any longer.

The trend away from the rare and unique to the big box retailer is not new. Several years ago the powers that be noticed that the big “powersellers” were simply listing items that existed in their retail stores or inventories. Thus the concept of “buy it now”, “best offer”, and “eBay stores” were created. It was the nascent stage of the plan yet to be. Little by little, without the population noticing, the mechanisms required to replicate the average retail storefront were already in place - and with its rise came the slow, steady downfall of the auction format.

Yet outright pursuit of a retail venue would have led to a major problem that at the time could not have been surmounted. The vast majority of people, on and off line, know eBay as precisely the place for auctions of rare and unique items. The sellers and buyers held onto that perception too but in truth their opinion even involvement in new and improved version of eBay is irrelevant by a certain Machiavellian calculation made by the powers that be. As part of the plan, eBay calculated thus: even if they lost the sellers as part of the change, the buyers will be coming back to buy regardless of who or what operated within the retail-outlet venue.

No, it was the stock holders who the powers that be feared.

Only the stockholders had the power to change the direction set forth by the CEO and the board. So it became imperative to change the equation. Part of the plan is to devalue the stock gradually so that investors merely dumped the stock as opposed to wanting managerial change ala Yahoo. Then to buy back the stock at lower cost and to such a volume that no rebellion against the powers that be were possible.

By the end of July that phase of the plan will be successful and there est of the plan will be revealed without fear of backlash from those who otherwise would have had the power to pull eBay back from the brink. Indeed, if you believe the current changes are obvious signals that small sellers are not wanted - be prepared - you have seen nothing yet.

So far what have they done? All they have managed to do is silence a seller’s ability to warn others about buyers (half of the purpose behind the original idea of feedback), burden you with higher and higher fees, dangle “treats” like discounts while setting the bar of eligibility so high that the rewards cannot be reached. and, by the way PayPal deals with “complaints” leave you vulnerable to fraud. What if worse was yet to come?

They know if you do not feel safe that you will not use eBay. The changes that have been enacted only eliminates the small sellers. Meanwhile they want to eradicate the mid-sized seller too. And they want to ensure that both do not return.

For the mid-sized seller the DSR became the tool of choice. The powers that be raised the level of what is a good seller artificially high. No manipulation is required; they know exactly the effect of the policy. This is why buyers are told that 4 is a good score and sellers are told that 4.9 yields discounts and higher listing placements. As long as that fractured point of view exists, eBay does not need to interfere with the DSR as has been suggested, the buyers will be killing the sellers naturally.

By August there will be no pretense and the intentions of the new and improved eBay will be clear. The following is only a partial list of the rules that will be imposed. It comes from a memo that circulated within my corner of the managerial department the week before Chicago. I cannot be too specific about certain items and I cannot reveal details of the latest additions without endangering my anonymity.

1. Neutrals will be converted to negatives complete with red icons and reduced feedback scores. Afterward neutrals will not be offered as a choice of feedback.

2. The entire process of feedback will be automated. Buyers and sellers will chose standard feedback from a list. For sellers this operation will be performed automatically upon the buyer winning. For buyers there will be an extra free line with which to add a few comments about the seller without restriction to content. Replies will not be allowed.

3. The implementation of a stricter rules regarding shipping. From the boxes, packing, labels and tapes to where you can buy postage. Orders have been placed for prototypes of “eBay” boxes. UPS and FedEx will be instructed not to accept “eBay” merchandise if it’s not inside “eBay” boxing. They will know, of course, because when sellers buy the “eBay” postage from the “eBay” source, a detailed list of contents with item numbers will be available to the shippers upon scanning a bar code. As for those who continue to use USPS, another level of quality control will be implemented - buyers will be asked, upon confirmation of delivery, if the seller used “eBay” standard shipping items. Naturally, no verification of the buyer’s truthfulness will be attempted, and continued ‘infractions’ will result in suspension. eBay will have other ways to check if a seller is not using the “eBay” equipment - as they will be required to buy at cost the supplies immediately after items are listed. (This is such a large scale operation behind the scenes that I feel comfortable sharing as much of it as I know.)

4. Sales taxes will be included automatically; shipping cost and sales taxes will be used to determined FVF.

5. Item descriptions will be “standardized” with templates which include the posting of a new, universal return policy. Only yearly subscribers to the retail-outlet venue can opt out of these universal return policies but even they cannot alter the template structures being devised.

6. Strikes against buyers will be eliminated as the whole concept of a buyer and bidding will be altered. FVF will be calculated when payment is submitted.

7. Time to Close will be eliminated entirely. Best Match will be the non-alterable default. Best Match is a system that caters to the needs of shoppers not bidders.

8. Placement within Best Match will be determined by several factors, the most important of which will be the extra display features added onto the listing.

9. DSRs can be removed by retailers and powersellers who pay a certain yearly fee.

10. The end play itself which consists of four phases:
a) the main focus shifts to retail sellers whose fees are on a per listing basis
b) stores will be replaced by a classified section, fees will be based on yearly subscriptions and FVFs
c) occasional auctions will be conducted for unique items (celebrity auctions, items that have been featured on the news, etc.)
d) total elimination of auctions for regular sellers.

From the point of view of eBay’s agenda to change gears these alteration make sense. The powers that be want to turn eBay into a retail venue format. Therefore the “buyer” must be changed - bidding and commitments to buy are part of the past. In a retail venue, the item is either in your cart or not and you only commit to buy when you pay at checkout. The seller is also redefined in the way they will be required to do business. They will be forced to copy the methods of retail stores.

The goal is to become Amazon Lite. Unlike Amazon the merchandise will be stocked by the retailers in their warehouses, eBay will be just an electronic centralized venue for outlet sale - a “trusted” name with a wide customer base and popular name recognition.

That is the future and as I write this I know that it cannot be stopped. There are no investors with enough clout and will to challenge the CEO. Stock holders will simply walk away. eBay will not sink, however, it will be exactly in the position its rulers intend it to be at.

Sellers, my advice is simple. You are not wanted. Leave. If you stay, you will be crushed. Leave. Go away. You cannot win.

I am sorry because for too long I have been a complicit tool behind the scenes. I was part of those teams and think tanks that spearheaded many of the “innovations” you know very well and which will be used to destroy you. I know I will not be believed. I will be mocked and ridiculed by the tools and even those who are real, actual people will be hesitant to accept what I have to say. What has been done to this community, the plots and schemes hatched in meetings and across memos, is far, far worse to endure within my soul than any treatment I will receive at the hands of the tools by posting this. You do not know how much they hate you. It is my conscience that I want to clear going forward. Again I apologize. There should have been a better way for the powers that be to effect the change they wanted for eBay - instead they succumbed to cloak and dagger deception.

RIP eBay

• Ro
    robmc Jan 04, 2009

it's very hard to believe that senior executives and board members would want to see their stock decline. I am just surprised nobody has been able to sweep away ebay's business and leave it in the dust. i heard google but haven't seen anything as of yet and this ebay mismanagement has been going on a lot longer than when the new rules were implemented.

• Ss
    SS-ME Aug 14, 2009

I always knew there was much more to this EBay thing than meets the eye.
    A guy at www.rareiron.com has a few ideas of his on how it runs. Thanks for the great artical. You know the ole saying, you can lead a horse to water, but you cant make it drink. Prime example is the cook we have in the White House.

Sarah of Orange, CA Apr 08, 2010

Ebay stole approx $233 to me. This happen in late march of 2007 when I asked them to send my refund that was sitting in my account for about 5 to 6 months. They over charged me for insertion fee for two auction special insertion fee of a dime. This happen like 2 times during that one month. When My bill came my invoice should have been like $500 instead of over $800. Only after many phone calls in August and Septmeber of 2006 conversating by email with over 9 assoicates did just figured out what happen. He refunded my money into my Ebay account. He told me that a dime insertion fee was only for ebay store owner. I was an ebay store owner for years. I was suspended for a month on ebay before the invoice was generated, so the computer programs did not I was a store owner, therefore I was charged the full price of insertion fees. I hope they put the fix into their computer programs to handle that, but probably not cuz ebay don't give a ### about getting their billings done properly or not. In late march, when I requested for the money sititng in my ebay account to be refunded in form of a check, then I got invoiced by ebay for over $700. I said what the Fu*k is that for. I stopped selling with them when I encountered the problem. Anyway, instead of sending me a check for $233, they billed me for over $700. I was harrassed by their collection agency day and nite for over a year. About 4 months ago, I started to get invoices from ebay again and this time, the balance I owe the is zero. What happen to my $233 they owe me. They haevn't even fixed the fraudualent dent they placed with several credit bureau. I am so sick of EBAY. They are bullys. I have the facts for them and all dates and I happen and they ignore it.

• Ar
    art-am-my Sep 10, 2010

I saw what was happening with those incremental changes and stopped selling in 2007. Very rarely buy on eBay any more either, I tend to go to Amazon first now! God help us Californians if Meg buys herself a public office.

satin7 Mar 21, 2011

This post is correct and quite believable. I'm (was) a 12-year seller. I saw the handwriting on the wall three years ago. I've depleted my inventory without replenishing. Now that eBay is going to skim shipping charges from the seller, I've had enough.

I don't understand all this underhandedness. If they want to change selling formats, simply announce it, thank us for our participation and allow us to exit gracefully.

• Pr
    PRECIOUS METAL GRAIN DEALER Dec 22, 2011

I KNOW something is foul with eBay. I will list an item and before I can get back to my Seller's page, someone has already viewed my item. I do a search and my item doesn't show up! How can someone view my item before I even have time to go to my Seller's page myself AND it doesn't show up in search results?
    Another thing - I will re-list an item, with revisions, and view the item after listing only to find the revisions haven't been made!
    I sell in the bullion grain category and created some exceptional items that put all the competition to shame. My account was suspended after only 10 days! I was required to ship with tracking numbers in August MONTHS before it became official policy in December of 2011.
    After adjusting my starting price to reflect my increased expenses, which put me at a competitive disadvantage, my items were no longer selling and I was threatened with suspension for not maintaining a sell through rate of 30%.
    I noticed other sellers are now listing hundreds of duplicates a day with a sell through rate of 8%. I called in today 12.22.11 and inquired if the 30% sell through policy was still in effect. The eBay rep. laughed and said he would check into it. He said no, it wasn't still en effect. When I asked for a confirmation email - HE HUNG UP!
    PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR EBAY ARE ALLOWED TO SELL ON EBAY! IS THIS WHAT I AM ENCOUNTERING? INSIDE COMPETITION?

Resolved discrimination

I have been a member of EBay since 2001. I have bought and sold items on EBay for the last seven years. I always paid and accapted payments with checks and USPS Money Orders. Now EBay changed their rules so you can't use anything other than an electronic process to buy or pay for goods.

Earlier this year I had a CC on file with EBay. The account number was stolen and was used by an unknown persons to charge things on several unauthorized sites. The CC issuer caught the fraud and advise us of it. We were able to get the unauthorized charges taken off uor account. The CC was canceled and closed. The only place it was used was on EBay online and thats how the criminals got the number.

Now EBay won't let me place any adds or bid because I don't have the electronic means to pay or accept payments.

In a modern age it is discrimination against senior citizens to prevent them from participating in a legal transactions.

Its hard enough paying for medecine to keep alive on, now I can't even sell a few things to help pay for medicines I need.

• Be
    Bela Jan 16, 2009

• Ss
    SS-ME Aug 14, 2009

Go to www.rareiron.com for information on this exact topic. Good luck

• Ha
    hankwank Nov 25, 2010

I am a member of ebay for seven years. I have many complaints about ebay which seem to compound more every year. The most recent was denying me a service which I pay for. I have been suspended forever from ebay help discussion boards on bogus charges. because I disagreed with another member on his solution to a posted problem. Disagreement is supposed to be healthy for any discussion, especially on the subject of help.
    Because customer service is so hard to get in touch with, and when you do, it consist mainly of mechanical canned responses to multiple choice questions, the help boards are a vital member to member option to getting questions answered.
    I know how important it is to be specific on these complaints. But, the arrogance of ebay is such that that I cannot even view the help forum area to get the specifics.
    This is not a false review, I can prove what I claim, ebay has much to hide, this is why I cannot access what I am accused of.

car bought with undisclosed hidden damages

I recently bought a car on ebay that was listed as perfect condition, like new. After the seller prolonged the dropping off of the car at a DAS terminal, I finally received the car just a few days later. I immediately noticed overspray everywhere, cracked airbox, cracked cv joint, fender and hood misligned. I right away filed a complaint but was called by vehicle protection and basically denied. They said I should have filed a complaint that I did not yet receive the car within 30 days. Excuse me, the seller dropped the car off late which I had no control over and could clearly see the location of where the car was with DAS after the fact. I had no way of coming to the conclusion that the car had hidden undisclosed damages until I received it. I then read in fine print that the 30 day mark will be extended to 90 days if buyer has not yet received the title which I have not. I thought for sure now I would be covered but then vehicle protection said that extension only covers getting the title. Come on, this is unfair to a long time ebay buyer such as myself and offers no protection to something out of my control. They need to make an exception in my case. Any help you could give or advise would be more than appreciated.

Sincerely,
Chris
[protected]

ebay Item number: [protected]

bad customer service

I have been selling fitness items On Ebay. Ebay restricted my account for at least a 30 day period. I researched the restriction and it did not fit into there guidelines for restriction. I sent many emails that they said should be responded within 24-48 hours. The response was recieved within 5 business days instead of 2. When the response was recieved it was automated. Every other response has also been automated. Ebay has no contact phone number available to there customers. After recieving many automated responses with no one dealing with the issue. I finally went online and got a contact phone number from a blog that gives information to sellers with problems with [the site]. I phoned and even spoke with a supervisor they informed me they did not havethe ability to do anything. They also basically told me they can do whatever they want to sellers without any explanation. I went to explain my case and [the] written policy they agreed I did not fit into the catergory for account restriction. The supervisor exact words are I did not restrict the account so I can not change it. The big problem is I generate nearly $5000.00 dollars a month. [Sites] recieve about $12, 000-$13, 000 in fees from me. I pay fees weekly instead of monthly and I am always on time with payment. I fit into all the criteria for an excellent seller. So I am losing money everyday and my sales where growing rapidly during the holiday season. Not to mention this has caused a lot of stress not having the extra income. I am looking to put a lawsuit against Eaby. Can this be done? If so is there anyone wanting to hear more about my situation?

unlicensed car dealer on e-bay

1. John Bazikyan did not provide a title or registration. 2. The DMV said that John Bazikyan is not the...

jennifer dumas, curtis ashford

Jennifer Dumas advertised a 2003 Toyota Tundra truck for sale on Craigslist, stating she wanted to get rid of the truck due the the death of her husband in Iraq 4 months ago. She was going to take care of shipping the truck to us and was using e-bay as the neutral third party to handle the money transaction. I purchased the moneygram and sent to Curtis Ashford who I thought was employed by e-bay from the info I received via e-mail. I soon found out I was scammed out of $2900 because e-bay doesn't use financial agents nor does e-bay and craiglist every work together. I have since done some investigating myself and have found out the Jennifer Dumas has done this to several other people, using different persons to work with her, Jeremy Prutsman, Steve Everett, she also used a different e-mail address every time. The fax # that she used I have discover is listed as a fax number that is used for a scamming fax for saling vehicles on line.

• Lo
    lol Nov 12, 2008

Sounds like YOU are the "dumas", not Jennifer

anon Nov 15, 2008

We have almost been scammed by the same person!!! I researched her. I found her REAL phone number, it is actually in Sacramento, CA. It is 916-489-1553. When I asked about the vehicle over the phone she said "oh, on Craigslist?" and then got VERY upset and ended the conversation. We are unable to file charges against her because we did not go through with the transaction, but maybe you can by calling your local police department. Good Luck.

• whatugiv May 22, 2009

there was a Sgt in the UK getting rid of a Tacoma for $5000 which he could have sold in the US to any dealer for a minimum of $11, 000.00. Its a shame so many are out there with the thought of getting as much as they can without considering anyone else.
    Hopefully these people will get caught or enough people will hear about them and not do business with them.
    Take care,
    John
    itswhatugiv.blogspot.com

Resolved seller should be ashamed

The date is wrong, (the year is right) but it's not really important..I won a mystery box off ebay...

Resolved unfair business practices

I am an ebay seller, I sell small, inexpensive parts and hardware in an ebay "store", ebay charges a monthly...

Resolved gestapo operation of 21st century

Last Friday, our listings were removed under the pretext that our account was under performing and that our...

poor quality plans

This seller sells extremely poor photocopies of do-it-yourself plans, pulled from old magazines. And thi...

unfair business practices

Hello,

I am sorry for this intrusion . I sent you this with the hope
that there is some merit in it enough that perhaps you could look into it. I'm
not sure about any of the legality of it all but you are the expert. Let me explain.

I am just your average blue color working individual. I do not have a full time
job but make my living selling items on Ebay. I have been doing so for over 10
years. The income helps me support my family and every penny really helps.

Ebay charges fees to list your item and a final value fee based on what it sells
for. People pay me with a check or money order. Ebay offers a service called PAYPAl.
This is where buyers & sellers have their money transfered for an item sold
or bought. There are fees to use this service.I choose not to and will take payment
by mail. I figure since Ebay OWNS Paypal, I'd be paying them 2 sets of fees
for the same item and the bottom line profit is severely hampered. Especially when
an item sells for 5 dollars or less.

Just yesterday I received a message to sellers from Ebay. It announced that payment
for my personal items can no longer be paid for by personal check or money orders.
Now it had to be paid by credit card, OR (most important) through PAYPAL. So now
in what I thought was a FREE economy system we have here in this country, Ebay is
telling sellers and buyers how to get paid for their own personal items which takes
away my rights to do so.

This is supposed to take effect in late October.

It is my feeling that this is highly illegal. I say that because Ebay owns paypal
and this is a ploy for them to make more money. Somewhat like a conflict of interest.
This also must violate some commerce law somewhere on the legal books. I just have
no clue where to find it.

I'd like to sue them to stop or halt this and get some kind of court injunction.
I don't have the money or clout to do so. Unless there is something simple and
cost effective I could try. You being a high profile attorney are in a much better
position to do so. It will surely be something for CNN and many sellers and buyers
would be behind you on this.

Sure Ebay has more money than God and that is what I think they are banking on(no
pun intended) They figure no one will be able to come up against them and thus they
get what they want without a fight.

If there is any way for you to look into this, you will please hundreds of thousands
of Ebay buyers & sellers. It's tough enough to make a buck in todays economy.
So I think it's time that some of the larger companies who steam roller over
an individuals rights get held accountable for their actions.

Any encouraging words you have would be most appreciated.

suspended for selling purses on ebay that I bought on ebay

I was suspended for 12 months even though I had over 100 sales transactions with 100% positive feedback. I...

Resolved bad service

E-Bay versendet bei Auktionen die ohne ein Angebot enden unaufgefordert ein Angebot zur kostenlosen Wiedereinstellung des nicht verkauften Artikels. Es empfiehlt sich dringend das Kleingedruckte zu lesen! Die kostenlose Wiedereinstellung gilt nur dann, wenn die zweite Auktion ein Gebot zum Mindestpreis ergibt. Wird der Artikel erneut nicht verkauft, so bezahlt man zum zweiten Mal die Auktionsgebuehr.

Der Begriff "kostenlos" ist daher irrefuehrend denn

Wird der Artikel erneut nicht verkauft, so zahlt man zum zweiten Mal die Angebotsgebuehr.

Wird der Artikel aber verkauft, so ist dann selbsverstaendlich die Angebotsprovision faellig.

Was bitte schoen ist daran denn kostenlos???

Resolved I do not recommend that you deal with this seller.

The following is a review and summary of my experiences purchasing from Ebay Seller Tarasevich5gsh - aka Kingston Traders of West Kingston, Rhode Island.

I purchased a piece of Roseville pottery from this Seller that was descibed as follows in his listing: "A 10 1/2" tall Roseville art pottery ewer that is signed on the bottom Roseville USA 20-10. the only fault I can find with this piece is a pinhead speck of glaze missing at the very tip of the spout. Otherwise in good condition, no chips or cracks."

When the item arrived, I discovered that this description was grossly inaccurate. What was described in the listing as a "pinhead speck of glaze missing" was actually a significant chip into the actual ceramic and which was far larger than a pinhead in size.

Even more distressing to me was the fact that there were gobs of what looks like construction adhesive in several areas of the ewer and also several scrapes in which the glazing is missing.

When I called the Seller about these defects, he expressed no surprise whatsoever, and did not deny that these defects existed. His repsonse was that I should try to remove the adhesive with "GOOP" and that the scratches on the ewer were not undesirable as they showed that the Roseville pottery was an authentic antique and not a counterfeit reproduction.

I informed the Seller that I would not try to remove the adhesive as I was concerned that any attempt to do this could result in damage to the piece of pottery.

I also told the Seller that I would not have bid on this piece of pottery if the Ebay listing had been accurate and had mentioned the above defects.

The Seller refused to refund my purchase price and has instead insisted that he does not sell items "on approval", that his listing was "exactly accurate", and that I was "nitpicking".

I have photos of the the above damage and defects. Should anyone wish to see them and decide for themselves whether the listing was accurate or whether it was deceptive and significantly at odds with the item's actual condition, please contact me and I will email them to you.

I do not recommend that you deal with this Seller.

ebay scams sellers & buyers

The Ebay Company scams sellers more than sellers scam buyers. I am fortunate that I caught this early on...

Resolved new feedback system sucks

eBay's new feedback system totally sucks. this give buyers all the willpower to destroy someone's positive feedback that they work so hard on getting. i had a buyer (edsbonebed) win an auction and then decide he didn't want it. he emailed me with a question about the item. I then answered his question and posted it in my item description for others to read as well.

After the auction ended, i sent him his invoice. he emailed saying that since the frame was new and not antique, he decided that he didn't want it and forgot to cancel his sniping bid and that he would not be purchasing the item. since i am the seller, i could only leave positive feedback for him, but i spoke my mind on it.

He, in turn, left me negative feedback saying that i had deceived him. i did not deceive him in any way whatsoever. he then follows up on his feedback that i have him confused with someone else. highly doubtful. i emailed ebay to try to remove his negative feedback, but i doubt it does me any good.

This new feedback system does nothing good for the seller. i saw nothing wrong with the old way.

I am just about ready to quit selling on ebay.

He is fairly new to ebay and i've been on there for 4 years. people like him should not be allowed to leave feedback at all.

He is the one who entered into a legal binding contract and then decided he didn't want the item. but, of course, I can't leave negative feedback for him.

He is such a liar.

I am still trying to get ebay to remove his negative feedback.

I have filed an unpaid item dispute and he still didn't pay, so at least i gave him an unpaid item strike, til ebay decides to remove it since he is a buyer.

I don't know what is wrong with ebay these days. i use to love selling on ebay and now i'm trying to figure out where else to go.

Matt Aug 11, 2008

Not only does the new feedback method suck for the buyer, but there is no support for the buyer. They say that the reason that they changed the feedback is so that buyers can leave true feedback and not fear a seller's retaliation. The problem with it is that a buyer can do anything and not have to worry about getting hammered for it. I sold a broken plasma HDTV for $5.50 US with shipping of $125.00 US due to the size and weight of the item. I stated in my description that it was broken and was selling it for parts or repair. I also stated that I would not be held responsible for damage during shipping because it was already broken. The buyer paid after 2 weeks of emailing and waiting, then after 2 more weeks I recieved the TV back from UPS. The buyer had refused the package due to damage during shipping (tracking showed everything). He then filed a complaint with Paypal stating that he never received the item and was demanding a refund. I followed up with all the purchase and tracking information to show that he did in fact receive the item and refused it. After repeated requests from Paypal to refund his money, I fanally got through to someone at paypal to find out what I could do about this. The Rep. at Paypal told me that since he refused the item then he does not physically have the item in possesion and is due a full refund. I explained to her thet the sale contract through Ebay stated that I was not responsible for damage during shipping and she told me that IT DID NOT MATTER. Once a buyer files a complaint with Paypal, all pervious contracts are null and void. I asked her "I could buy over a Million dollars worth of merchandice from $.01 to $20, 000.00 or more and as long as I refuse the item I am due a full refund?" She told me YES, as long as you do not take possesion of the item, you are due a full refund. I asked her, "On what planet does that make any sence?" I also told her that this was the third item I had ever sold on Ebay and that I may sell again, but I will guarantee her that I would never deal with Paypal in a sale again. I am tired of sites that cater to buyers. When will ther be someone who will back up the seller. Ebay and Paypal, great idea, poor service.

Matt Aug 11, 2008

Not only does the new feedback method suck for the seller, but there is no support for the seller. They say that the reason that they changed the feedback is so that buyers can leave true feedback and not fear a seller's retaliation. The problem with it is that a buyer can do anything and not have to worry about getting hammered for it. I sold a broken plasma HDTV for $5.50 US with shipping of $125.00 US due to the size and weight of the item. I stated in my description that it was broken and was selling it for parts or repair. I also stated that I would not be held responsible for damage during shipping because it was already broken. The buyer paid after 2 weeks of emailing and waiting, then after 2 more weeks I recieved the TV back from UPS. The buyer had refused the package due to damage during shipping (tracking showed everything). He then filed a complaint with Paypal stating that he never received the item and was demanding a refund. I followed up with all the purchase and tracking information to show that he did in fact receive the item and refused it. After repeated requests from Paypal to refund his money, I fanally got through to someone at paypal to find out what I could do about this. The Rep. at Paypal told me that since he refused the item then he does not physically have the item in possesion and is due a full refund. I explained to her thet the sale contract through Ebay stated that I was not responsible for damage during shipping and she told me that IT DID NOT MATTER. Once a buyer files a complaint with Paypal, all pervious contracts are null and void. I asked her "I could buy over a Million dollars worth of merchandice from $.01 to $20, 000.00 or more and as long as I refuse the item I am due a full refund?" She told me YES, as long as you do not take possesion of the item, you are due a full refund. I asked her, "On what planet does that make any sence?" I also told her that this was the third item I had ever sold on Ebay and that I may sell again, but I will guarantee her that I would never deal with Paypal in a sale again. I am tired of sites that cater to buyers. When will ther be someone who will back up the seller. Ebay and Paypal, great idea, poor service.

Resolved aid and abet shill bidding

eBay introduces absolute anonymity for (shill) bidders. In Australia, the UK, Ireland and the Philippines, eBay has obscured auction bidding to the point that genuine bidders have got absolutely no chance of detecting and thereby protecting themselves from “shill” bidding (a criminal offense in most civilized countries) by unethical vendors.

Notwithstanding eBay’s statements to the contrary, this application of absolute anonymity (ie, Bidder 1, Bidder 2, etc) by eBay on these sites serves absolutely no purpose other than to deceive consumers by making even any otherwise blatantly obvious shill bidding undetectable; and the same criticism has always been applicable to eBay’s other shill bidders’ facility, “User ID kept private”.

My concern then is not so much with the effectively bidder-specific anonymity (“a***b (n)”) now in use in the US and elsewhere (and which still allows genuine bidders some opportunity to watch for suspicious patterns of bidding on a seller's other auctions) but with the absolute anonymity (“Bidder N”) in use in Australia, the UK, Ireland and the Philippines.

Again, notwithstanding eBay’s various pronouncements about shill bidding being banned on eBay, eBay is now, on these sites, effectively (and now knowingly) “aiding and abetting” such shill bidders to defraud consumers...

For those of you with a longer attention span, a lengthy critical analysis of this matter appears at:
http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=6498345#6498345. I apologize in advance for the length of this linked “rant”. Needless to say eBay would not tolerate it on their discussion forums and I have spent time on eBay’s “naughty chair” for posting links to it.

If you are an unethical shill-bidding seller or a buyer who is not concerned that on the above-mentioned national sites eBay is effectively “aiding and abetting” such shill-bidding sellers to cheat you, read no further.

• To
    Tom Dec 02, 2008

Yes this is a tactic by eBay to maximise the amount of fees they collect. Higher priced auctions = more fees. If the auctions were ended due to shill bidding, they would be losing out on fee revenue.

I don't use eBay anymore.

• PhilipCohen Jun 01, 2009

Shill Bidding on eBay: A Case Study
    For anyone interested, a detailed case study of a classic, blatant shill bidder on eBay, and a comment on eBay’s attitude thereto, at http://www.auctionbytes.com/forum/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=24033