DTE Energyworst customer service

S

DTE consistently makes billing errors, blames it on customers, charges the customers, and refuses to correct (or even investigate any problems).

First, when I moved into this house and transferred my service from my old address, they never sent a bill to the new address. They shut off my service, charged me to reconnect, and insisted that I had never been a customer! I had lived a mile away, and been a DTE customer for nine years prior. They said my previous address did not exist, and even when I provided copies of four years worth of DTE bills at that address, they could not find my account, and insisted I was new. I filed many complaints and never got resolution.

Two years ago, DTE stopped sending bills. They blamed it on the post office. I signed up for "recurring payments" (I felt forced). I paid all finance charges for late fees. Again, no one responded to my complaints.

This Feb. 09, I got a shut off notice. DTE automatically charges my credit card company (I checked w/VISA and they have paid), but DTE didn't charge the account. They actually lied and said that I had "un-subscribe" to this service, although I have proof that my card was charged, and I also have copies of ebills I have continued to receive.

Once again, DTE denies it is the fault of the company. Once again I have paid the finance charges, but I am still receiving shut off notices!

DTE's service is abominable! They treat customers horribly because they can -- they have no competition in Oakland Co. It is ridiculous that we in Michigan don't have access to better service, and something should be done to put this company out of business!

• Ji
    Jiila Sep 08, 2012

DTE continue to rob their customers and fear no one in the Michigan Public Service Commission, State Attorney General Office and the local courts. I think DTE customers should be complaining to the Federal Trade Commission and our elected officials in Washington this is election year.

• Pa
    park452 Jun 20, 2012

i am with the land lord program with dte and it is the worst service. i have called customer service on three different occasions and the person never comes back to the phone she just leaves you hanging on, i was on hold for 30min i gave up dte you really need some help (is the service so bad because we are in Detroit?)

• Sc
    Scott Feb 20, 2009

My name is Scott Simons and I work for DTE Energy. I apologize profusely for your customer service experience and I'd like to help you resolve your problem. Please contact me at [email protected]