Dollar Generalpoor customer service/refund policy

Last week, I purchased a door bell unit from a different retailer. Upon installing it, it required 3 "D" cell batteries which I do not have nor usually use around the house. I went and purchased 2 packs of 2 Energizer batteries for a total sale of $7.50. I went home and installed 3 of these batteries only to discover that the door bell did not work. I assumed that it was the door bell and not the batteries so I returned the door bell to the retailer and did not exchange it for another as I was not satisified with the unit and wanted no more of them. I then placed the batteries back into their packages and taped them closed (for all I know, the batteries could have been defective and not the bell unit). I then went to Dollar General and asked for a refund, as I had the receipt for the purchase. I told my story to the cashier and she was very friendly and understanding. She then called her male manager and he came to the register and I explained my story to him. He immediately refused the refund and told me that batteries could not be returned and asked me if I would purchase a package that had been taped shut and I told him that I had purchased merchandise that had been previously opened from other retailers. He then became loud and verbally aggressive and continually argued and refused my refund request. I then asked to see the Dollar General refund policy and he directed me to a different register so that I could read the sign, telling me that I had to move so that other customers could check out as the line was backing up. I then read the policy and no mention was made about refunds of batteries and I questioned him, he still was loud in front of the other customers and told me that they are considered as electronics and that all store items can not be listed exactly in the policy. I then asked for his customer service number and he aggressively directed me go online to the Dollar General website and voice my complaint. I then went home and did so and it is now 4 days without their response. I guess that they don't care about their customers and I'll shop at Dollar Tree or Family Dollar instead. Hope everyone else hears this and does as well!

Sandoras_box Sep 20, 2011

I work at dollar general and the policy is no returns on electronics. if they did that do you know how many people would be bringing back batteries after they used them, we have done a few exchanges here and there but not a complete refund. i not saying your batteries was good cuz i had bought some myself that were bad and just took a lose, i suggest check the date on the batteries before you buy them.