Direct Energychecking installing new furnace

D

Had a problem with my furnace, smoke coming out of the vents called Direct Energy in Orangeville Ont . The technician came out and immediately started going on about this could cost a few thousand to correct, he installed a new control board and said the furnace needs a cleaning, which I booked a cleaning that afternoon, He did mention that if the cleaning technician ( his partner in fraud ) finds the smallest problem he will shut the gas off. So, the cleaning technician comes in on friday morning, he wasnt at the furnace more then 5 minutes comes upstairs says I have bad news your heat exchanger is defective turns off the gas and gives me a card for the Direct Energy Salesman ( partner #2 ) he says my carbon dioxide measured 37 ppm . I call an independant heating and cooling technician he comes in Sat morning, the minute I mentioned that my gas was shut off by Direct Energy, he actually named off both technicians that have this scam going . He takes my furnace apart finds nothing wrong at all carbon dioxide measured 0 ppm at all vents in the house turns the gas back on, He takes a camera and shows me the heat exchanger no cracks or anything . The inspection from him costs me $50.00 on a plan that I have from CIBC on my mortgage protection plan . He said that that this team has replaced at least 100 furnaces in Orangeville Caledon Brampton that really did not have to be replaced, The warranty on a Keeprite ( builders furnace on new homes ) is 20 years on the part, not labour
I am so pissed off canceling plans at Direct Energy first thing in the morning, also I am going to get a supervisor to explain why I need a furnace . disgusting behavior everyone gets a kick back from the installation of a Direct Energy Furnace Beware

• Di
    DirectEnergyVictim Nov 05, 2012

Very interesting. Check your furnace warranties FIRST before agreeing to pay for any parts/labour. We just experienced same thing. But get this, our furnance is about 11-12 yrs old but when it was 3 or 4 yrs old, we contacted Direct Energy for service. Apparently, water got into our circut board and had to be replaced. We were baffled as had no idea where water could have possibly come from. Then less than 2 yrs ago, we had to replace the blower because water had gotten into it -- again Direct Energy. On both occasions we expressed to Direct Energy that furnace was still pretty new, asked them for an explanation how water could have gotten into furnace when no water near it, but no satisfactory response. Just last week we had heat come on but after few minutes, heat would turn off. Fan, blower all working just heat would go off too soon. Called Direct Energy who told us that heat exchanger had to be replaced and the other heat exchanger would have to also be replaced at cost of $800 for each plus labour and tax. He shut off the gas telling us too dangerous, said because so expensive to fix, recommended just buying new furnace and he would send someone over ... showed up very quickly. Recommended furnaces that were half the capacity as our house rated for, said we don't need such large furance, but my gut told me if I had to get new furance, it would be for what is recommended for my home. Thought I would get second opinion. Independant guy comes to the house, looks at furnace, says can you do without until Monday? Wants to check if parts covered under warranty first ... !!! Even after we told him that beyong 10 yrs and couldn't find any paperwork, he said heat exchanger could have limited warranty or lifetime and even if not covered under warranty, new one would be NO WHERE NEAR QUOTE BY DIRECT ENERGY. He took model and serial and low and behold, don't have to pay for parts ... labour only. Turns out that first service guy from Direct Energy should have picked up on water issue ... apparently, anytime water on circut board or blower, suggests heat exchanger issue but turns out that in both previous instances, all parts & labour would have been covered under warranty! So Direct Energy scamed us twice before but thank goodness for the little independant guy who not only saved us a bundle, but educated us on warranties and what to look for in future.

• To
    Tony Siduli Feb 23, 2013

I had a similar experience only a few days ago when, on the coldest night of the year the blower bearings went. I was back after a 12 hour night shift and my heart stopped when the Direct Energy tech told me there was nothing he could do. He stumbled upon a seized screw and 2 minutes into his "inspection" my fate was decided. I was left standing in my foyer with the accomplice's business card in hand and bags under my eyes. For his "expert diagnostic" I received a $99 bill plus tax ($111.87). The good "technician" had the gull to insult my intelligence saying that I was going to get this money back in form of discount upon purchasing thousands of dollars worth of new furnace.
    I was too tired to fight then, but when I woke up I defeated the defective screw myself in less than 5 minutes and an independent tech changed the bearings and reinstalled the blower for less than the "diagnostic" fee. Now, what do we do about it? This site is for venting less for pre-venting. We can only prevent if firm action is taken. Weak Canadian criminal laws make it impossible to pursue corporations, so I suggest we engage anyway we can: Better Business Bureau, Small Claims Court, Consumer Protection outlets come to mind. Any other ideas?