Delta Airlinesunaccompanied minor

This was the first time, and probably the last time, my minor daughter has flown unaccompanied. Being a worried parent, I booked her flight several months in advance, called (several times) and emailed Delta to find out what I needed to do to make everything go smoothly. I gave them her ticket confirmation number which had her itinerary attached and was told that I just needed to pay a $100 fee and the stewardesses would watch her and make sure she made her transfer flight. They wanted the specific information about who would drop her off and pick her up, and it had to match the person's driver's license, etc. I did all of that, and like I said, called more than once to make sure I knew everything.

On her flight out, the stewardesses apparently were not paying attention to the time, but luckily she barely made her flight transfer. They had the wrong information for picking her up, however, even though I had just confirmed it the day before. Apparently the airport she was landing in was not updated and gave my sister a hard time. This I could live with, though I was not really comfortable with it.

The flight home was another story, however. They did not let her board her flight home because apparently they did not allow unaccompanied minors on that flight, despite the fact that I had called more than once previously and emailed, but apparently they do not really check to see if the minor is really allowed on, so she was turned away upon arriving at the airport and booked for a flight the next day during the middle of the day. The flight reservation attendant apparently blamed me for booking the flight online, so it was my fault. (Again...despite previously calling and emailing etc. etc.) They scheduled her next day flight without there being a seat for her on that flight, apparently hoping someone just won't show up. Personally, I do not like those odds. I have to take an unpaid day off of work to pick her up midday, and inconvenience my working family to make sure she can be at the airport for the new time, which did take some family juggling, and Delta takes no responsibility for any of it.

The representative I talked to admitted over the phone that I should have been told ahead of time, but wasn't. But all she could say was that my daughter will be flying in tomorrow and have a nice day. I am writing this complaint on the night she was turned away from her flight. I just hope she makes it home tomorrow, and I will not trust them with my unaccompanied minor again. I expect them to have her home on the day she books her flight to come home or to let me know ahead of time if there is a problem, especially if I have contacted them several times before to make sure everything is okay.

• Je
    Jennifer Briggs Aug 02, 2008

After missing a conection sitting on a runway waiting for a gate, and thus having to spend the night the agents put our unaccompanied minor 15, in a room with 30 children, designed for 8. The gate agent in charge was complaining there were too many children in the room for them.

We called customer service and there response was "he can leave". We are appaled, scared and dissapointed in Delta's response. I would never put my child on this airlines!

• Al
    Allie Aug 04, 2008

My only question is did you pay for the unaccompanied minor service or did you just let you 15 year old fly alone and not take the extra time or money to make sure they were escorted. My kids fly with the service and that way the airlines will take care of them. I wonder if Delta was just trying to help them out by caring for the kid, that must be why they told them he had the option to leave because his parents trusted that the weather, mechanical or other factors might not go bad. Alot of parents pay for the service just for the peace of mind. It is a great idea.

• binder Jun 16, 2009

Hey could've been worse; the plane could have crashed & killed everyone aboard. Or just her. Whatever.

• Su
    Sunshine Jun 16, 2009

Binder and Jason Tillo, the two of you need to get a real life and stop doggin peoples complaints... LOSERS

• binder Jun 16, 2009

Sorry to dissapoint you, but no. If you read my past comments, you would see that him and I have different writing styles.

And by the way the "stupid baby" remark is an old Simson's quote.

• binder Jun 16, 2009

Wow sunshine, you have shown me the light & the err of my ways.
    Way to dog my comment, you hypocrite.

If you actually read my comment & let it sink in, I wasn't in disagreement w/ the original poster. She has a valid complaint, I'm merely suggesting she look on the bright side.

Douchebag.

• binder Jun 16, 2009

OK I guess your tough internet personas win the online argument. Congratz.