Delta Airlinesseat changes split families

Don't use Delta Airlines when traveling with your family.

My recent vacation travel using Delta with my wife and two children was nothing but trouble from the beginning.

First, attempting to purchase 4 tickets through their website was not possible. The site would only let me purchase 3 tickets. I called their reservation number and was quickly transferred to a call support center in India. After working through 3 so-called customer support representatives who were unable to help me buy 4 tickets, I had to to demand, and I do mean demand, that I be transferred back to someone in the United States. Finally I was able to buy 4 tickets although with two different confirmation numbers. Whew.

Several months went by as I had purchased the tickets well in advance of our trip. Then I received emails notifying me of a schedule change. Ok, we'll get to our destination later than planned. But, wait a minute, they changed our selected seats and now my family is no longer sitting together on any leg of the trip! Back on the phone to customer service where they tell me sorry, nothing they can do, my seats have been give to other passengers. What??? I had to escalate up through levels of customer support before I was finally able to secure 4 seats next to each other, again. Double whew.

The vacation comes and we have a great time. Night before the return trip I check email and I have two from Delta. They are just reminders stating our flight is confirmed, no worries. Here's the quote, "And don't worry about reconfirming your flights - you're all set!". But wait, our seats are changed again and we're split up. Back to the phone where again I'm told there's nothing they can do, my seats have been given to other passengers. The only thing they can offer me is to check in then, at the gate, stand in line again to see if they may be able to seat us together using some supposed reserved rows. No guarantee. So after booking the flight in August 2008 for travel in April 2009l, I'm left wondering if my family will be split up flying coast to coast across the country. Triple whew.

Delta, you're out. I will never use your airline again. I hope others read this and also choose not to fly Delta

• Br
    Brett May 29, 2009

With your attitude I don't think your wife and kids want to sit with you anyway so this is a favor for them.