Curves International Logo

Curves International

Having problems with Curves International?

8800 505 1456 (Russia)
+1 800 848 1096 (United States)
+63 25 849 841 (Phillippines)
+27 800 287 837 (South Africa)
+82 16 663 330 (South Korea)
+66 22 615 098 (Thailand)
5770 Fleet St.
Carlsbad, California
United States - 92008

Complaints & Reviews

Regretting the 30 day membership trial

Regretting ever signing up at the Lafayette, IN Curves

I signed up to be a member at the Lafayette Curves in April. The woman signing me up clearly stated to me two options available to me on that day regarding entrollement. One option was to sign up for the $30 for 30 days. The second option was $30 plus a reduced enrollment fee for $49. If not happy after the first 30 days, you will receive the enrollment fee but not the $30.
This was false!! The owner stated that once you sign the contract you have three days to change your mind and will not refund anything. It is a much wiser choice to sign on to the “Y” for the variety of exercise classes that you get for you money. Curves quickly bored me, and I didn’t feel like I was exercising to my potential. It is the same machines and routine each day, BORING! You have 30 seconds on each machine and that is ridiculous. Buyer be aware before joining Curves.

MEMBERSHIP REFUND

My wife joined Curves in Nov of 2008 with the good intentions of losing weight and excercising with their...

Standing by franchises

Why is it that Curves International does not stand by their franchises? I mean, after all, aren't they getting a cut from each franchise? We just lost our franchise and they basically won't do anything about it...that's over 330 members without a home. Grant you, they can go to another location (although most are far from their home base), but you would think they would get to the bottom of the previous owners and find out what happened. After all, they are making money off each franchise and it's their good name that is being dragged through the mud. Stand by your members and get to the bottom of all franchise problems!

• Ju
    judy heinle Aug 06, 2013

How can you let Julia Sell run the Portage, Wi Curves when she has just been convicted of stealing money from a Church and has to spend 2 months in jail...Do you know how many people in Portage and area around that have quit because she is rude with them. She shouldn't be running a hot dog stand much less Curves. Your reputation is at risk.!!!

Cancellation Fee

I joined up with curves because i thought it would be a great way of shedding a few kilos. I enjoyed it but...

no accountability, can not contact,

After paying out in cash $184.00 and exercising at Curves fitness centre for women at the Magill Rd St Morri...

Adelaide Metro Area Fitness Centers

neglect

I been going to exercise at curves for about 5 yrs. Last yr and this yr (just starting ) is the worst. This is a mess and nobody cares if you exercise or not. The last 2 wks no one has open in the am. I have a medical problem and need to workout 5 days a wk. No notice is posted as to why not open so you sit outside and wait and still no show I left at 8:30a.m. I was told to canel, I need to give in writing a 30 day notice, well what do we get when no one shows up. I'm paying for a servvice I can't use. I'm not the only one, but I refuse to do nothing. I'm done. This don't work for me.

membership fee, cancellation

Many people have noted on this site that Curves takes their membership money and then keeps zapping their...

Terrible company

The owner of Curves, Franchise, in Sacramento, CA exists only to collect dollars from desperate "fatties." I enrolled in the program, read the contract, and foolishly made a commitment for 12 months. Further, I authorized automatic payments from my bank account each month.

My issue is noncompliance with the contract by owner. Albeit it is stated above not to specify contract information, breach of contract is the issue.

There are 2-3 pages to the contract and the one section that made some impression on me was the need to have a physician's verification to enroll. While I mentioned some physical problems, the individual who reviewed the contract with me stated that it was okay to proceed with acceptance of the contract w/o medical documentation. As it turned out, I became ill during a workout session, was asked to "call it quits for the day", see my physician to see cause of wheezing and shortness of breath. Following an exam by my physician, I was asked not to continue with the program.

The above information was received by the owner of Curves in a very indignant fashion when I stated I should be refunded the start up fee since they did not insist upon a medical release as required in the contract. I advised the owner that the individual, a young student, simply took my word that I was physically fit and I started the program two days later. In backtracking some, when the owner learned that I needed to stop the program, she stated fine but you have to sign this, a small sheet of paper that she swept from my hands when learning that I wanted a refund. When I pursued the conversation by asking her for a copy of the contract where they were negligent, she refused stating that I signed the contract and they really didn't need medical approval. Her very unprofessional manner included a statement, "we did enough for you(?)" I'm truly puzzled by that statement, the short time I participated was work on my part w/o much guidance. The "trainers" were somewhat laid back in their role.

Rip off

Curves is a complete rip off. I was promised that curves would be enough of a workout for me because of their new "Curves Smart" program that stepped up the workout. I have been on that program for 5 months and have seen no results. Half the time the system is down and does not work, even when it does it is a joke.

I filed a complaint with the owner, manager, and corp. They tell me "Curves is not for everyone." This was not in their sales pitch prior to me signing a year contract that they now REFUSE to let me out of.

• Un
    unhappychic Jan 03, 2010

I joined two months ago and am already dissatisified. First of all, they are always closed. They seem to be closed more than open. After I joined, they decided not to be open on Saturday's anymore. Furthermore, they expect you to get a 3 day workout in. I understand about holiday's but they were not open Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and since not open on Saturday's, that forced me to get my workout going three consecutive days beforehand. Then the week of New Years, they closed at 1 on New Years Eve. Because I had to work that day, I was out of luck on this.
    The person that signed me up did not know what she was doing. I have been measured by three people, and get three different results!
    Overall, this place sucks. But reading my contract, which I should have read closer, I cannot get out of this for 12 months. That was not what I was told. I was told if I am unhappy with the place, they would let me out of it earlier. I do a bank draft every month.

Hiring Policy

I was recently hired at Curves at the Beverlywood location as a fitness motivator trainee after working for several years as a paralegal/legal assistant. In addition to working the front desk, I would help the ladies with their workout so they could reach their maximum potential.

After the initial interview where I truthfully admitted I had no experience in this field, I was advised I would be trained which I thought was terrific because I had no idea how the circuit worked.

Well, imagine my surprise that after only two days I was fired. Either (1) the manager had an ego problem; (2) the owner had no idea I was hired (I never even met her!) or (3) my age (I'm 54) and they wanted someone younger!

Well, excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me! The majority of the women who attend Curves are about my age and even older and one would think they would like seeing an older person at the front desk AND working the circuit. But nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Customer service at Curves Beverlywood -- non-existent!

beebee25 Jun 13, 2011

was also chatting to a member and my manager told me to leave her alone as she knew what she was doing now(she was recently new) i thought curves had a policy on continuing the care exhibited before membership? seems once we had there money we were meant to not care...

non-payment of wages

I am a former manager of Curves under the ownership of Greg and Cindee Snow located in Pace and Milton Florida. I have had many troubles cashing paychecks due to closed accounts and also getting paid for the due wages earned. I resigned in Feb. of 2009 still being owed three pay-periods worth of paychecks. I was paid one of the three two full months later. The owner refuses to answer my calls and I have still yet to see the other two paychecks. Anyone who works for this company beware- business practices under this company are shady with customers and employees. I am also not the only one to have these troubles- at the time that I quit, there were two other employees having the same troubles. We have also heard of other former employees having trouble with their paychecks bouncing and not getting paid on time or in the due wages earned.

• St
    Stacy May 09, 2009

I think it would be best to say... ALL Curves club are independently owned and operated. To lump all Curves into one group is silly.

I have worked for Curves for 3 years. You get out of a work out what you PUT INTO IT. And you did not gain the weight overnight, so it is safe to say it will not come off overnight.

Also to think that all one has to do is work out 30 minutes, 3 times a week and lose all kinds of weight is not right. If that was all it took, I would think everybody would be at their ideal weight...no?

I treat our member is the same way I wish to be treated. I give them my time and knowledge. I do everything possible to make sure they are trained and comfortable on the machines before I push them to work harder..

I am sorry to all of those who have had bad experiences with Curves, but please don't think, because your clubs are not up to par, that all of them are ran the same way...

curves not so Christian

I was hired at Curves and in 2 days was given a key and ran the gym by myself by day 4.I was well like by all the members and even had some request to have me do all their 1st few work outs.Well after being there 3 weeks I found out I was pregnant.I waited to tell anyone at work and in my family till after my 1st ultrasound to make sure all was ok.Well after the ultrasound I told my manager about the baby, she was excited and said I would have no probs continuing my job.I was going to tell the owner the next week when she came in.Well b4 I could see her I had a 2nd ultrasound and was told the baby had died.The dr told me on a Tuesday and gave me a note for work for the rest of the week due to the fact they had to remove the baby.I took the note straight in to work and a few hours later the owner left6 a message on my phone saying"I did not know you were pregnant and this is not going to work out".So all in one day I lost my baby and my job.I was so happy to get a job with curves since they claimed to be a christian company, but it turns out they are not.I still have the message on my phone and have spoke to lawyers and have been told the dep of labor will love to get ahold of this so I am going to let them.I have no respect for curves for women anymore.

• Da
    danise Dec 23, 2010

Ok, get this. I paid for a 12 month prepay and after 6 months had a medical hold for another 6 months, in which I never received a phone call or post card even making sure I was alive! I used to work for Curves when They 1st came out and they were truly legite and now all the new owners are in debt and desperate, but I do know they have to call or send postcards. So I am now pregnant and have a Dr. cxl note and requested my remaining money back. They stated only a hold will be placed since it was not a perm dis. But I was also determined perm disabled with other issues and thought the notice I gave would be enough. It wasn't, I then felt like a criminal and like the enemy. So I called another Curves that I was involved with in the past and filled out the paperwork to have my account transered and then get a per. dis. note from my Dr. and cxl from a club that I felt safe with. Low and behold the Owner of the club went POSTAL at the the other club owner, stating she will call curves corporate and file FRAUD charges on the club I wanted to transfer to. And that I should of requested a transfer before I wanted to cxl, and now they won't release my file. I have now faxed over the PERM DIS NOT and now they came up with you 12 mo prepay with a cxl is now considered a month to month membership and I would owe them money because M/M is more or to end it lets call it a WASH!!! I contacted Curves international and they said they are ind owned and to call the owner!!! So what doe the cust serv reps at Curves int'l get Pais FOR!!! I will smear Curves Name to everone I Know, since they are an ISORE/MONEY PIT and all the DOORS will be closed soon, Mark my WORD. What goes around comes around> BEWARE OF CURVES - they have become like all other store NO REFUNDS even with DR.'s NOTE!!!

• Da
    danise Dec 23, 2010

I worked for Curves when they first came out in Calif. I loved it had a great owner, but then my owner bought so many clubs and moved to other states to open, my mgr and I ( assistant Mgr) ran the club just as you did. On our own. But we were a good team and shared responsibilities. Our Owner was so appreciative she rewarded us all regualarly. Then time to sale to owner after owner, with all the changes and these new owners not knowing what they got themselves into, were all broke and being cheap. How sad. But like you said Gary Haven states Chritian Values, but he is SATAN. The owners have to pay for everything, Royalties, mentors, training in other states.. etc... then at the yearly conventions he has more and more products that he states To by at discount( the urgency factor) and these owners are in the red when it comes to monthly bills!. Curves Sucks. SO I am the 1 who wrote the comment above and have been treated like a criminal just to cxl and NOT get money back!!! Even with a disabilty!!! The Lord will shut them all down in due time...

beebee25 Jun 13, 2011

i was hired by a curves in england..again was honest about my lack of experience in the field but the manager said she was willing to put the time in training me. this was not the case. i had about 2 real "training" sessions, the rest of the time she said the gym was too busy for her to train me (maybe bringing in another member of staff wou;d have been sensible) i was dumped in the circuit on my own most of the time with absolutely no idea of what i was meant to do and my training seemed to have ended. she let me go a month later saying i should have had a handle on the job, my training booklet was still incomplete and training on fitness assesments had not even been touched on..she paraded my exit interview as a review until the very last minute when she knew i had to get my daughter from school. she even told me to continue with learning the phone script in this "review." she said it was quiet in the circuit when i was there when for the whole shift i was chatting to people but she didn't notice as she was sat on the pc the whole time and only came in the circuit to discuss a soap opera. very unproffesional and from what i have experienced a compulsive liar. i asked her to clarify the reasons for her letting me go as i felt they were unfounded she said she would ring me back and never did..she blamed other mebers of staff for the decision which i know is not true as i spoke to one of them. i also saw some very unprofessional behaviou she was wathcing videos on youtube while the circuit was unsupervised ...

membership fees

i joined curves a month later the owner went out of buisness i pd a membership fee of 100.00 was told that i...

Rude and Greedy

The owner Maureen is a master manipulator. I have a friend who had just joined and thought maybe I might like...

Cheque fraud

A year and a half after my membership ended, this location of Curves on Applecreek (in Markham Unionville...

the gym with the ghetto ethic

This is a letter I sent to the company because of strange practices I'd encountered..anyone out there with similar experiences? I was so shocked because it seemed (here's to advertising) so open and friendly...not.

Hi. I have been to two places here in brooklyn, one on Norman Avenue and one on Grand ave, in attempts to try out the club and see if it worked for me and a friend. I don't know if it's because I'm in shape (that's honestly the impression I was feeling) that they seem to discourage me at all from joining or if it's some sort of "secret society" but they weren't at all interested in trying to work with me. What is this about?
I called ahead on the second one just to ask and make sure it wasn't as shadey as the first and it seemed nice enough when the lady on the phone said if I came in she would give me a free week pass. I asked if there was a good time and she just said they were closed from 1-3 and then I asked when they were closed and she said 8. So I showed up at seven and told the girl at the counter (apparently a different person) that my friend was running late but I could go ahead and she started in with talking about how I needed a certain amount of time to do everything (45 min...I had an hour, by the way) and throwing various other excuses my way as to why I couldn't do it then (this had happened in pretty much the same way at the first club as well). She apparently wasn't interested in keeping my business. Is this common with your clubs? My friend and I really were looking forward to this kind of workout as we liked the first time we tried it and just wanted a period of time to see if it worked for us in our schedules. However, it seems like none of your clubs have a work - or even business - ethic. I don't want to waste my time on bad employees or shabby business and I generally report directly to consumers' unions when meeting with bad business practices, as I don't want other people to have to endure stupidity either, but I wanted to check with the corporation first to see if these were simply uncompliant clubs (they are franchises). Please feel free to write at your leisure, as I will wait a few days before reporting to my normal consumer agencies. Thank you.

Honestly what's up? These people act so strange like they're selling drugs behind the scenes or something...why discourage people from paying for your business?

• He
    hey Mar 27, 2008

• Se
    secreter Apr 28, 2009

You weren't fat, that was the problem.

They don't want someone who is obviously going to keep a regular shedule. They want large women who they can get to sign a year long contract and then they work these women so hard on the equipment that they lose interest in the club (but still pay their monthly fees, cuz they signed a contract!)

For some reason, a high percentage of very large women that sign up at gyms will stop going after a few hard sessions. Curves has noticed this and therefore built a business model around it (GETTING PAID OFF CONTRACTS, NOT FOR ACTUAL WORK).

• Pr
    PrincessD Jun 27, 2009

I'm very in shape and I've been attending curves in Reno, NV for the past 2 years. The club I patron has a mix of skinny and larger woman, some in shape and some not so in shape. Never have I once seen my club employees turn away or treat a woman badly because she was fit. It didn't happen to me when I joined, nor any of my friends and family members who attend different clubs throughout the country. I also have a sister who works at another Curves here in Nevada.

I think you either are making this complaint up for some strange reason or you simply imagined this stuff. Here's why: when a Curves employee signs up a new costumer, they earn quite a big commission. Something like 10-20 percent. That's quite a lot of money and I do not know about you, but I wouldn't turn anyone away if there was cash to made. Secondly, if you arrived one hour before they closed and she felt that there wasn't enough time to get you started, then that is why she turned you away. I know, for me, it took a good hour and a half to sign all of my papers, fill out health information, get weighed and measured and complete the full circuit. And I had to make an appointment to sign up. The Curves employees also cannot be the only person there when doing a sign up because there has to be another employee to tend to the other patrons. So, if she was alone, that is probably another reason she couldn't sign you up at the moment.

You sound like a very spoiled and entitled girl/woman. You also sound very young and immature. I'd be willing to bet that the employees asked you to make an appointment but you wanted them to serve right away. Well, that isn't how life or the club works. You are not anymore deserving than anyone else. If you really want to join, get over yourself, grow up, and call to make an appointment!

As for secreter, you are completely incorrect! Curves employees get bonuses for every pound a costumer they sign up loses. And when you do not show up for a week, they start calling you and telling you to come work out. Educate yourself.

• Cu
    Curves Columbia East Jul 15, 2009

I own a Curves in Columbia Maryland. Our club is open to ALL women. My club has a very diverse membership. We have young and old alike as well as those who are working on their weight and fitness goals and those who have met their goals and are now working to maintain. We are here to help all women.
    My club truly lives up to the Curves reputation!! I work hard to make sure of that. Everyone is greeted with a smile and we are always ready to go the extra mile for the members as well as potential members.
    Always look for Curves clubs that are "shining Star" clubs like mine. These are premier clubs that adhere to the highest standards.

beebee25 Jun 13, 2011

heya the curves franchise doesnb't care because they are a franchise so its not there problem..thats the attitude that has been exhibited to me...

Antigone Jul 11, 2019

Princess D, please don't accuse people of making things up. You have no reason to do so. It's great that you're treated well at your own club, but that doesn't give you the right to invalidate other women's experiences. You remind me of the women who attack other women for relating their stories of rape, abuse and extreme sexism because "that's never happened to me!" Check yourself.

Scam and cheating!

I joined Curves in August 2003 for a years membership. The cost was $78 up front and $29 per month. After a...

Membership cancellation!

I joined Curves in January 2006. I went for 6 months and then stopped going in September of 2006 and have...

Curves ripped me off!

I signed a 1 year agreement in September 2003. I went to close my bank account 7/30/2007, and found out that the company has been deducting the monthly dues from my account every month since. At the end of my contract, the manager called me to see if I would be renewing, and I told her NO. She did not inform me that I must come in and put the cancellation in writing. It has now been almost 3 years since the END of my 1 year contract, and they have deducted over $1400 from my account since September 2004. They now tell me I'm SOL. This company is NOT Christian based as it claims, but instead screw out of your hard earned money!!

Margaret Sterling Aug 01, 2007

Doesn't she check her bank statement?

• Ra
    ramm777stein Dec 12, 2007

That is absolutely insane what is it with some companies are they so money hungry they forget they are supposed to be professionals!? my friend donna goes there i am going to forward your complaint to her and everybody else!

• Gr
    Gretchen D'Andrea Jul 03, 2014

I joined Curves of Millbury MA in 2011 after recovering from a devastating leg injury I sustained in 2010. I had a leg full of titanium. After one visit it was clear I couldn't work out without pain, so my doctor wrote a note excusing me for several months. I hand delivered the note. Before the end of that time I had moved to another state, and I called Curves wanting to quit as I did not heal as fast after a second operation. I had to remove the metal and needed to attend physical therapy instead of Curves. I was told I was not a member anymore, and did not have to worry, in fact they assured me I didn't even have to come in with a note, I wasn't in the system! Lo and behold I am one of those lazy ladies who does not check my bank statement and discovered that I had been charged up until June 2014. When I called to complain, I was laughed at and basically told I was a liar. I am contacting an attorney.

Do not sign up - you'll regret it!

Complaint: Do not sign up for the Fitness Study Program! You'll regret it! I am not a curves member and...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices