Menu
Costa Coffee Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

Costa Coffee
reviews & complaints

www.costa.co.uk

Learn how the rating is calculated

1.2 499 Reviews

Costa Coffee Complaints Summary

32 Resolved
467 Unresolved
Our verdict: If considering services from Costa Coffee with a critical resolution rate, extra caution is advised. Examine detailed customer feedback to understand the severity and nature of unresolved issues. Be prepared for the possibility of unsatisfactory responses and have contingency plans, including seeking assistance from consumer advocacy groups if necessary.
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Costa Coffee has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Costa Coffee. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
File a complaint

Costa Coffee reviews & complaints 499

Filter reviews by rating
Sort by:

Newest Costa Coffee reviews & complaints

D
8:51 am EST
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Costa Coffee In receipt of a letter banning me from the premises dated 20/2/2024 from Matt Harman Regional Operations Director.

Today 23/2/2024 I arrived at my usual time at Costa Coffee in Meole Brace Retail Park, Shrewsbury. When I was met at the door by a woman and a burley bouncer-type gentleman and was presented with a letter and informed that I was banned for 3 months from the store. On enquiring why I was informed there had been a complaint against me by a staff member. When I asked for details of the alleged offense I was told NO, I also asked for the person's name and was told NO again. I have been coming to this store for the past 4 years every day (except when closed for holidays). I have been both slandered and liable by these accusations, with no redress to defend myself other than by seeking legal advice. I feel that I have been mistreated by my age (65) and opinions. I have never been anything but considerate and polite to your members of staff. I look forward to your early reply

Claimed loss: As explained above, loss of my good name

Desired outcome: a full apology, by all involved and the clearance of my good name

Confidential Information Hidden: This section contains confidential information visible to verified Costa Coffee representatives only. If you are affiliated with Costa Coffee, please claim your business to access these details.

K
10:25 am EST

Costa Coffee Costa. St James Street, Burnley Lancashire.

I was in Burnley Costa on Wednesday 24th of January. We made our order, payed then sat down at a table, it was then that I noticed that YET AGAIN they where using paper cups. I had my Auntie Betty (85 years old) with me so I went back to the counter and asked for her cup of tea to be put in a proper cup as she could not hold a paper cup. This was refused! Even though we all could see clean cups. As yet again the dishwasher was not working, it would seem that the dishwasher in Burnley does not work more than a few day in any week. My daughter and I go for lunch regular and you are using paper cup more and more. I asked for my money back and left, we went to a café just across the street. We will not be going again to your café in Burnley.

You need to give your staff customers care training, my working life was in retail and bar work and I have to say if they were my staff they would be looking for a other job.

Claimed loss: n/a

Desired outcome: your staff to have customer care training

Y
9:40 am EST

Costa Coffee Hygiene

We visited your instore cafe yesterday at Tesco, Tebourba Way, Hampshire SO16 4QE and were disgusted by the hygiene. There were flies landing on uncovered cakes at the counter. We were told there was nothing that could be done about it because Tesco had fruit and veg in the shop near to the cafe and the flies couldn`t be kept away. On complaining we were told `If I was you, I wouldn`t buy it `.

We chose toasted sandwiches for lunch that were wrapped as a precaution.

The knives we were given had dried on food on them and the sandwiches themselves had burnt food on the bottom.

Absolutely disgusting hygiene!

Is Costa Coffee legit?

Our verdict: Complaints Board's thorough examination reveals Costa Coffee as a legitimate entity with notable strengths. Despite a 6% resolution rate on customer complaints, which invites a closer look, Costa Coffee stands out for its commitment to quality and security. Clients considering Costa Coffee should delve into its customer service record to gauge compatibility with their expectations.

Costa Coffee earns 91% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Costa Coffee achives 91% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Costa Coffee. The company provides a physical address, phone number, and 2 emails, as well as 4 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

The age of Costa Coffee's domain suggests that they have had sufficient time to establish a reputation as a reliable source of information and services. This can provide reassurance to potential customers seeking quality products or services.

Costa.co.uk has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Our scan shows Costa Coffee website is free from malware and phishing activities, which are types of online threats that can include viruses, worms, Trojan horses, ransomware, and other malicious code, as social engineering tactics used to trick users into sharing their personal information.

We looked up Costa Coffee and found that the website is receiving a high amount of traffic. This could be a sign of a popular and trustworthy website, but it is still important to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of the site before sharing any personal or financial information

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• While Costa Coffee has a high level of trust, our investigation has revealed that the company's complaint resolution process is inadequate and ineffective. As a result, only 6% of 499 complaints are resolved. The support team may have poor customer service skills, lack of training, or not be well-equipped to handle customer complaints.
  • There was some difficulty in evaluating or examining the information or data present on the costa.co.uk. This could be due to technical issues, limited access, or website may be temporarily down for maintenance or experiencing technical difficulties.
  • We conducted a search on social media and found several negative reviews related to Costa Coffee. These reviews may indicate issues with the company's products, services, or customer support. It is important to thoroughly research the company and its offerings before making any purchases to avoid any potential risks.
6:17 am EST

Costa Coffee Gift card

I have emailed your company from last Sunday and as yet i have had no reply very unsatisfied customer. I was given a gift card by my grandson for my birthday, but when i went to use it in your Banbridge store i was told it was only for use in England, Scotland, and Wales. If this is so why sell them in the North of Ireland. I now have a gift card worth nothing. As i said i have contacted Costa via email and no one has bothered to contact me. This is a disgrace for a company such as yours. This is the number on my gift card

6301230032810295576285 what am i to do with this card? My phone number is [protected] if you need to contact me. MALACHY Toman

T
5:02 pm EST

Costa Coffee - Stourbridge customer service experience

Dear Costa Coffee, my friend and I visited your outlet today in stourbridge, in the Ryemarket. We ordered two large gingerbread lattes. I thought from the board they came in medium and large. I now Know its small and medium. Although the price was £4.40, I was asked for £4.65, we paid separately. I queried this, but was told that is how much a large would...

10:55 am EST

Costa Coffee - Staff attitude

I attended Costa Coffee today,at Low Fell Gateshead,with my wife,and she went to the counter,and ordered two coffees,and two sandwiches.She retrurned to the table,and said they were bringing the food over.I heard someone shouting "two coffees and two sandwiches"and I said I think that's our order.My wife went and collected these,and about 1/2 hour later.two...

5:19 pm EST

Costa Coffee Hot chocolate

Hi, my name is Sharon Cash and on 11/11/2023 at approximately 1625 I was trying to get some hot chocolate from the Costa Coffee machine at the Duke Durham Reginal Hospital on the 3rd floor. While doing so the machine dispense out nothing but white foam milk and not hot chocolate. In a medium cup. My Vision Finacial Federal Credit Credit was charged $3.50. Also the machine doesn't give you any kind of recipe. My brother Corey Cash also retrieved two hot chocolates from you all Costa coffee Machine and it despenced foamy milk and he added hazelnut and the consistency was foamy and it was bought for my parents. And it made my mother stomach upset. One cup was large and it was $4.00 the other was $3.50. My brother used his Chime bank card and his Self bank Crad to purchase his hot coffee. He and I would like to be refunded for our hot chocolate. I really think that there should be someone to fill the machine so that this shouldn't happen to anyone else.

My phone number is [protected]

Claimed loss: Total loss- $11.00

Desired outcome: We would like a refund.

A
8:08 am EST

Costa Coffee - Customer service

I visited the Costa café in Muswell hill today (8th November 2023) at 10:30. I asked for a coconut cappuccino. There was a long order before me with a customer ordering many drinks ( I think 9), so I knew I had to be patient. I understand that because of the larger order before mine, the baristas were getting confused; the one who started making my...

7:16 am EDT

Costa Coffee - Staff complaint

I visiting with my husband the fforestfach costa store near tesco extra the blonde woman behind till took order and other woman made coffee with dark hair we go to costa everyday, the coffee they made was terrible wasn’t warm hardly any coffee in it so my husband just come off night shift so in uniform said to blonde lady this coffee is [censored] she went...

1:39 pm EDT

Costa Coffee Mangers speak to ppl like dirt

Manger in rhyl speak to staff like dirt flirts with all male customer make other wait for her to finish before helping as busy talking about what she doing when finished work also give burnt food not able to eat and drinks different to what u asked for I use to come every day 2 3 times a day some day now will.not step foot in the rhyl one as always waiting for her to sort others even if not busy as to bust to help customer ie if not male

Desired outcome: Train her better and don't put so much on other staff when doing all it alone and learn to cook ppl food

11:39 am EDT

Costa Coffee Service

I ordered coffee at your premises at Princess Alexandra Hospital in Harlow ESSEX

Your staff refused to serve my coffee in a cup even though they had plenty of cups available on top of the coffee dispenser. they said if they gave me a cup everybody would want one. they were busy and short staffed. I counted 4 staff and 20 customers. they would not give me a cup but would give me a refund.

Not sound economics.

Nobody wants to be having treatment in a hospital and being treated in a could not care a less attitude is adding insult to injury.

This is not a one off it has happened before.

regards

Colin Penfold

Desired outcome: cup of coffee in a cup

10:43 am EDT

Costa Coffee - Awful behaviour from store manager on several occasions

I have had several negative experiences with the manager of the Drive through Costa in Colchester Stanway. Today was the most confusing and direct, which is what had led me to make a complaint. I worked as a barista at a different coffee chain last year throughout my masters degree so I understand fully how stressful and difficult the job can be at time...

8:00 am EDT

Costa Coffee Intense Dark Roast Instant Coffee purchased at a supermarket

I purchased two tins of the above coffee and am currently drinking the contents of tin number two.

Unfortunately, both tins, despite using hot, not boiling water and stirring with a spoon before drinking, leave a sludgy, gritty, powdery residue in the bottom of the mug/cup. When swallowed it irritates my throat and causes me to cough, it is that aggravating. The same happens to my husband. It is not a pleasant experience and I want to draw your attention to this fact. I enjoy Costa coffee at your coffee houses and had presumed to have the same experience with your instant coffee, hence why I bought two tins but if I had known that making a cup of coffee resulted in this experience, I wouldn't have bothered.

A
6:33 am EDT

Costa Coffee Gift card not sent to email address to recipient

I brought gift card on line through costa app for a my granddaughter gave them her e mail address unfortunetly her e mail did not arrive so whats happened to my £20 I sent to costa?

I have had email from costa saying they will be in touch but they have not resolved my issue,

My case number is CAS-919439-T2C0C4CRM:[protected]

E Mail judy. [protected]@yahoo.co.uk

Mobile [protected]

regards

judy wardell

J
10:05 am EDT

Costa Coffee Health and safety in shop

Berwick upon tweed COSTA coffee shop

There has been 2 buckets and a warning sign placed on the floor in front of the service counter. They are under a large air con panel?

They drip water condensation on the floor and have been there for WEEKS?

*At one point when it was busy I almost fell over a bucket whilst carrying coffee from the counter.

* sitting at the table close to it a fine mist was spraying from it? ( is this safe? Or might it be contaminated from within the broken system?

* the floor is wet around the buckets and frankly it’s an accident waiting to happen

This is a matter for Health and Safety and should be rectified immediately!

Desired outcome: Rectify this problem immediately before someone has an accident

3:23 pm EDT

Costa Coffee Costa coffee

Visited one of your cafes, after sitting down drinking my hot chocolate, (after going back to get it heated up as it is sold as hot chocolate) chatting to my friend when the most awful music came on it was so loud we couldn’t continue in there, the cafe had only 4 people sat down drinking the staff are very young and the music may be appropriate for their age group but it most certainly wasn’t appealing to me nor to my friend. I usually get another drink but was driven out by the music.

Desired outcome: If I want loud heavy music I would frequent a nightclub not a cafe where I go to have a catch-up with my friend we couldn’t hear ourselves

9:28 am EDT

Costa Coffee Empty cup cost

I visited Costa Coffee at Queen's Hospital, Romford, Essex today at approx 10.15. I have a broken arm, in a sling, and a torn Rotator Cuff, on the other arm, and cannot lift a full cup of coffee.

This was served in a cardboard cup, and I asked for an empty one, so that I could decant it, and it wasn't so heavy.

I was charged 10p for this, I find this disgusting, in a hospital, where someone has a visible disability. Or is this normal practise, and your interpretation of Customer Service?

[protected]@aol.com

Desired outcome: A reply please

6:00 pm EDT

Costa Coffee Costa Coffee Bootle

To be clear, I have absolutely no problem with the staff who serve at the Bootle branch of Costa Coffee (Stanley Road, Bootle, Merseyside, L20). They are doing their utmost best and are always professional and courteous under the circumstances.

What concerns me is how you, Costa Coffee, a big multi-national corporation is treating those employees and their public.

I work mainly from home now but once a week I go into the office and before I do, I visit the Bootle Costa Coffee shop to get my favourite coffee to go.

However, over the past few months, I have walked out before being able to place my order because the waiting time is ridiculous. Most people may now be working from home but this particular branch is as busy as ever. And yet, for the past few months, there has only ever been ONE person serving and taking orders! On top of that, that same person is also dealing with your recently introduced online orders for delivery!

It is completely non-sensical to have just one person dealing with all of this. It was bad enough with only two staff serving before you started the deliveries! The pre-ordered deliveries (as expected) are taking precedence over your actual physical customers who just want to grab a quick coffee on the go on their way to work.

As a result, us 'actual' customers are walking out and going elsewhere. I can tell you that from my particular place of employment, you have lost a LOT of customers.

I would suggest you stop being so greedy and employ more staff!

Desired outcome: More staff!

7:38 am EDT
Verified customer This complaint was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Costa Coffee Egg mayo sandwich and cappuccino coffee.

My name is Maria L. Forster. I was part of a coach tour and we called into the services in Penrith, I believe it was Tayside, southbound. We called in for a comfort break. Whilst there I purchased a cappuccino coffee and egg mayo sandwich and am sorry to say I was disappointed with both.

Firstly, the cappuccino - at a price of £3.45 or thereabouts for a regular coffee, once the very small amount of frothed up milk has "calmed down" it becomes apparent there is less than half a cup of coffee within the cup, which is the amount that is put into a china cup and transferred to the cardboard cup. Compared to an ordinary coffee with milk from Costa I think it is scandalous and definitely not worth the cost especially when comparing to another brand where the cup is full and costs at least £1.00 less. I am very disappointed and will not purchase one ever again.

Secondly - the egg mayo sandwich - did not contain mayo in any shape or form, there was no butter/spread at all on the bread and no seasoning whatsoever. Basically it was a very bland, dry, egg sandwich. Definitely not what is advertised on the packaging "egg mayo with seasoned mayo on oatmeal bread" and surely, totally in breach of trading standards policies. This sandwich cost over £4.00! Apart from being bitterly disappointed once again I find it scandalous and shall never purchase a sandwich or anything else from Costa Coffee and this was my first visit to a Costa Coffee Shop, a very disappointing and expensive, (over £8.00) experience. I would be loathe to spend such an amount on a bland egg sandwich and half a cup of coffee ever again.

An explanation from yourselves as to the lack of seasoning and mayo and less than half a cup of coffee did not meet up to expectations of your advertising. I would also like to be refunded the total cost of both items

Please email me at your earliest convenience on. [protected]@yahoo.com

Regards

Maria L. Forster

Desired outcome: An explanation as above and a refund

7:08 am EDT

Costa Coffee Manager leicester unit 1 haymarket

I visited your branch at unit 1 Haymarket Leicester opposite the clock on Sunday 25th June between 12:30 to 13:30, and was initially surprised that there was only one member of staff serving although doing a good job could only work at the pace (Luke).The other member of staff (Kimberley) was sat in the front of the shop by the window and interviewing for staff beside the queue for all including myself to hear all of the interview. After the interview had finished the lady came behind the counter, at this time I was being served by Luke, and asked if I had been served I mentioned to her that it was rather inappropriate to be interviewing someone in earshot of the public to which she replied there is nowhere else to go, I commented that it would have been better in the back at a table out of the way, I was given a reply "that we only ever have 2 members of staff on duty and its now the way of the world, I replied it isn't really fair on the people being interviewed to give their information for all to hear, the reply I was given was "you have a lot to say for yourself", I told her that this kind of attitude was not acceptable and was told again well this is the way of the world and that's how it is", at this point I said that this sort of behaviour needed to be reported, and the answer given was report it then I have done nothing wrong.

To summarise there are clear data protection breeches shown here as not all candidates will be given positions but it is not for the general public to be party to confidential information. Feedback on the interviewing methods, having interviewed probably several thousand people over my career mainly for senior positioned jobs, the interviewer was not focused or trying to engage with the candidate in a way to consider whether they would fit into the environment or work with other staff, mainly talking by the interviewer saying how she did things and asking whether the candidate would be able to do that clearly a poor interviewer and making an assumption I guess that there is a high turnover of staff in that branch

Desired outcome: reply and outcome requested

Costa Coffee In-depth Review

Location and Accessibility:

Costa Coffee has conveniently located branches, making it easily accessible for customers. The coffee shops also provide accessibility for individuals with disabilities, ensuring that everyone can enjoy their offerings. Additionally, Costa Coffee provides parking availability, making it convenient for customers who are driving.

Ambiance and Atmosphere:

The interior design and decor of Costa Coffee shops create a warm and inviting atmosphere. The comfortable seating arrangements allow customers to relax and enjoy their coffee in a cozy environment. The noise level is kept at a comfortable level, ensuring a pleasant ambiance for conversation or quiet work.

Menu Variety and Quality:

Costa Coffee offers a wide range of coffee options, including espresso, cappuccino, latte, and more. Their tea selection is also of high quality, catering to tea lovers. In terms of food options, Costa Coffee provides a variety of pastries, sandwiches, salads, and more. They also consider special dietary considerations, offering gluten-free and vegan options.

Pricing and Value for Money:

Costa Coffee's price range is competitive compared to its competitors. Customers can expect value for money in terms of portion sizes and quality. Additionally, Costa Coffee offers discounts and loyalty programs, providing further value to their customers.

Customer Service:

The staff at Costa Coffee is known for their friendliness and professionalism. They provide speedy and efficient service, ensuring that customers are served promptly. The staff is also willing to accommodate special requests, going above and beyond to meet customer needs.

Cleanliness and Hygiene:

Costa Coffee maintains cleanliness throughout their premises, including tables and chairs. They also provide hand sanitizers or other hygiene measures to ensure the safety of their customers. The washrooms are well-maintained, reflecting their commitment to cleanliness.

Wi-Fi and Amenities:

Costa Coffee offers reliable Wi-Fi for customers to stay connected. Charging ports for electronic devices are also available, allowing customers to charge their devices while enjoying their coffee. Additionally, customers can find newspapers and magazines to enhance their coffee shop experience.

Community Engagement and Sustainability:

Costa Coffee actively engages in local community initiatives, showing their commitment to the communities they serve. They also make efforts towards sustainability, including recycling and waste reduction practices. Costa Coffee sources their coffee beans ethically, ensuring that they support fair trade practices.

Online Ordering and Delivery:

The Costa Coffee website or app is user-friendly, making online ordering a breeze. Customers can expect accurate and timely delivery of their orders. Costa Coffee provides various delivery options and fees, catering to the convenience of their customers.

Overall Experience and Recommendation:

Based on personal experience, Costa Coffee provides an overall satisfying experience. The combination of convenient locations, cozy ambiance, delicious menu options, and excellent customer service makes it a recommended choice for coffee lovers. Costa Coffee could further improve by expanding their vegan and gluten-free options to cater to a wider range of dietary needs.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Costa Coffee contacts

Dedicated to Authenticity

Encouraging Detailed Feedback

Balanced and Constructive Conversations

Free and Fair Platform

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with Costa Coffee?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Costa Coffee Customer Service. Initial Costa Coffee complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Costa Coffee above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Costa Coffee. Discuss the issues you have had with Costa Coffee and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.