Consumer Portfolio Services Logo

Consumer Portfolio Services

Having problems with Consumer Portfolio Services?

1888 469 4520 (Customer Service)
1800 443 2588 (Investor Relations)
+1 800 304 6812 (Dealer Marketing Department)
+1 800 342 9246 (Career Opportunities)
19500 Jamboree Road, Suite 500
Irvine, California
Postal Address
PO Box 57071, Irvine, CA 92619

Complaints & Reviews

Consumer Portfolio Services — Unprofessional Phone etiquette

I am tired of harassing phone calls and when I follow through with what I say I will do, they still call me...

Consumer Portfolio ServicesHaressment

I just received a call from CPS. I was one & half payments late on my auto loan. The original call was from a driver coming to repo my 2006 KIA. Today I made the half payment until tomorrow where the full payment could be made. The driver called and stated that he would be late in picking up my car and wanted me to verify my address. I told him "no" as payment had been made. He contacted the rep for CPS. I explained to her that I had made the a payment. She told me she would put the pick-up on hold until noon tomorrow. The driver kept interuping our conversation with rude remarks. I told him to stay out of this. He replied, you ###ing smart mouth ###, learn to pay your bills on time. NO ONE should have to put up with this type of abuse. Something needs to be done about this company and their harassment.

• Ti
      Tiffanie Nov 16, 2008

As many people that have posted on this page have the same feelings about CPS. Wow, I thought that I was the only one. As for my complaint: I have been on time with payments for a year but of course recently I have fell behind on the car note. December 2008 will be 3mtnhs if I don't get the money soon. The customer service is bad and I would not wish how they talk to me on anyone. I asked them why they talk so bad and I was told that they are not in the business of customer service. I feel that if you call someone that you are suppose to provide the best customer service. I wish I never would have got a car with them. I hate to see my phone ring at work because of course they call me several times a day but thank God I have caller ID and see that it is them. They call so much that I have to turn the volume down at work. Repossession is bad but I have two cars and CPS customer service sucks so they can have their car back. Yes, it will be on the credit report who wants that but who wants to jump at paying a note to someone who is very nasty. They should not be in business.

Mary Nov 19, 2008

I have received rude calls from them and let them go until they started calling my family and friends. I have been late before but this time I am a month late which is bad and I told them that I would be making a double payment so please stop calling family and friends they decided to get rude with me and others so I did the same. Whenever I have been late before I have always paid over what has been due the little girl that I spoke with in the beginning said, well I am not suppose to tell you this but you have x amount built up in your acct because you pay over then some man gets on the phone and trys to intimidate me when he realizes it doesn't work he hangs up on me I call right back and offer to give him directions to my home to come and get the car he hung up again imagine that

Consumer Portfolio Services — harrassment and threats of wage attachment

I HOPE THIS COMPANY GETS NAILED TO THE WALL. THEY CALL MY HUSBAND AT WORK AND THREATEN HIM ON A DAILY BASIS...

consumer profolio service/car loanharrassing me with calls on my job,telling my boss and co-workers i owe money on my truck while i was off on medical leave.

calls on my job more than twice a day at work. while i was on medical leave, even after i notified them to let them know i will be on medical leave.they were still calling my job telling my boss i need to pay on my truck and before going on leave i fell behind on payments, due to me missing days off from work.They told my boss that they will come and get my truck. He got tired of them calling and told them this is a place of business and to stop calling there. this is a place where 750 veteran men lives and this was a DISTRATION.They had several numbers to contact me. Even if my phone got disconnected, they got someone elses number to call me. than they start telling my contact people how much i owe and so on. They also told them i need to pay on my truck.although i was behind i continued to make payments .

consumer portfoilo servicescar payment

this is a company that all they do is call for there payment no matter if you have it in the mail to them they start calling the very next day. in one day i have gotten over 30 calls. they are rude and they threaten all the time i had to leave my job 2 ours early because they called my mother in laws and told hee they had a tow truck circleing my road to my house to pick up the car.there have been times i have been late but this is so stupid im caught up but they keep saying i am one month behind someone needs to shut them down they are no good disrespectfull people and they need someone to go in and take care of there mouths for lying etc.

• Sc
          Schubie08 Feb 05, 2009

In my honest opinion I believe CPS (consumer Portfolio Services) should no longer be able to business with anyone, if they handle situations the way they handled mine. Due to the economy, in November of 2008 I knew I was not going to be able to make my whole payment. A week before it was due, I called CPS to ask for some kind of extension and explained to them my situation. They quickly told me that no one was in to answer that for me and to call back next week, so I did. When I called back the following week they were quick to tell me “There is nothing we can do for you, we will note the account and you have till the end of the month to make your payment”. Once my payment was late (even know I had a credit on my account for about 50.00 I pay extra every month), they were calling constantly, 3 to 4 times a day. Once Dec.08’s payment was coming near to being due, I decided that I no longer wanted to try and make the payments and was ready to do a Voluntary Repossession. When CPS called me one day, I didn’t answer the phone so they proceeded to call me at my job. My boss answered and they were rude and nasty to her. So she called CPS back to complain, when she got a so called manager he asked her to help them get the truck back, which wasn’t there at work. They told her details on my account, and I do think that was very unprofessional. Once I returned to the office, I answered a call from them and told them to come and get the truck, told them I was taking my tag off and was parking it in a Lowe’s parking lot. They said they would come get it, but they never did. They told me they would take me to court and garnish my wages and everything and that got me worried. They kept calling up until I told them I was filing for bankruptcy. Which in a sense should do but would of never thought of doing if it want for this truck, I cant afford for them to take more a month from me than my monthly payments are and not have the truck. They tried to repo it from me about 2 weeks ago but I wasn’t driving it that day at work. They never came to my home to get it, but did reposes it from my work a week ago.

These people, lie, are rude, ignorant, and very unprofessional. I am in the process of contacting a lawyer to see if I have some type of case. My states statue states they have to deal with this situation more peaceful and professional. If I would of know what type of people would have been loaning me money I would never got the truck. (Not an actual bank a group of investors)They harassed me& my employer. They embarrassed me as well. This company should never be allowed to do business with anyone and I think this company needs to learn how their business skills need to drastically improve. To be honest I have delt with debt collectors that are more professional, and some of those people can be rude.

If anyone would like to contact me on details about a civil suit or intrested in pursing a civil case with me please feel free to contanct me.

Consumer Portfolio Services — Unauthorized payments taken

I authorized a payment of 117.00 to be taken out of my account for my car note and they took out an...

Consumer Portfolio ServicesThey are the worst!!!

I too have incurred the wrath of CPS. They told me that unless I set up a postdated check they will call everyday. They have been rude to my co-workers, talk like street thugs, and belittle and mock me. I have been reduced to tears more than once. They have called one of my best friends at her teaching job asking about my payments(humiliating) and have said things like "Please stop screaming at me, threatening me" when I am not even speaking at that moment. I call to make a payment and they continually hang up or we get "disconnected" and it will take like 20 minutes to complete a payment. They all have attitudes that would match a fighting dog. I hope something can be done because the anxiety from it all is intense.

lisa Oct 02, 2008

If you payed your car note on time. That would not be a problem. dont you see how the market is at this time its because people like you that want to drive nice cars but cant keep there word, and make there car payment on time. I know stuff happens to good people. That why CPS gives loans to people that have got into some credit problems in the past. BUT people like you have credit problems in the past and now and in the future>BECAUSE YOU JUST DONT CARE. you'll file BK every 7 yrs and clear your debt. That why banks cant aford to give any loans out to people that REALY want to fix there credit not just get a FREE RIDE. ANY ONE AGREES WITH YOU ALSO ARE DELINQUENT ON THERE AUTO/BILLS

• Jm
            Jmarie Oct 06, 2008

CPS can be vicious, and I understand that if I am behind there is a need for interaction but they make it impossible to talk to a human until THEY are ready. When you finally reach someone breathing and able to respond, be prepared to be berated and made to feel like a horrible person for having financial problems

Sally Oct 11, 2008

It's obvious that "Lisa" continues to post comments in defense of CPS. "Lisa" must understand that everyone including herself will experience some financial difficulties a few times especially with our current economic difficulties. I totally agree that this company has no business etiquette's. Their customer service reps are very rude and are only willing to take your call if you have a past due payment. I attempted to contact CPS for an entire week to discuss lowering the interest rate on the loan which in turn would lower my monthly payments. Each time I would call and enter my account info to speak with a rep, they'd pick up the line and hang up immediately. It took me 6 days to finally get a rep on the line. I ask the rep if there was anyone I could speak to in regards to lowering the interest rate on my car loan and he stated to me in a rude manner "we don't lower interest rates, read the fine print on your contract, you signed it didn't you." I was very surprised at his response given I was very polite and not to mention current on my loan. He also went on to say that they are a "second chance" lender so I just needed to pay my loan off. I 'm very annoyed given I was not asking to escape from paying my loan, I just wanted to lower the interest rate. This company will soon be out of business at the rate in which they are going. so many people will eventually default on their loans and file bankruptcy. I hate that I was so upside down on the two vehicles in which I traded in to obtain this one. I appreciate their assisting me at the time, however they need to know and understand that people loose jobs and experience other financial difficulties.

• Bo
            Bo Oct 14, 2008

Lisa,
            Do you work for CPS?

• Bb
            BB Oct 23, 2008

They do the same to us. Change your Cell and home Phone, Screen your call. If anyone calls let them leave a message and return the calls that is important to you. Never give your job # when you are requesting credit. Give your cell phone # instead. These people are really terrible . I hate them the very name CPS. Make your payment on their website. You dont have to talk to them to hear their nasty mouth. Before I forget, they call from different numbers and places, that is why I told you to let your answering machine do the listening. Treat them with the silent treatment.

• Sh
            Shawna F Jun 30, 2009

I agree with you totally. They do the same thing to me. They call me constantly at work and at home. I do return their phone calls daily, only to be told they do not post date checks. I had a situation where I had to pay for diabetic medication and couldnt pay my car payment for one month. I have paid my car payment monthly since then only to be harrassed every month because I can not make a double payment to get current. They have reduced me to tears several times as well. I know what your talking about with the "dropped calls" I know they are hanging up on me and have done in more times then I care to count. As soon as I tell them my name/account number they hang up on me or say they have to transfer me and then we get disconnected! I call back to have the same thing done over and over. I call to make a payment and because I can do it the day they want it they refuse to take the payment. What is it? Do you want the payment or not? If you dont stop calling me and come get the dang car. I have told them several times to come and get the car, they always threaten they are going to do that but never do. Per the FDCPA we have told them numerous time to quit calling our place of employment phone and our cell phones, they refuse to do this and are breaking the law. They threaten me every month that my payments are not acceptable and they are going to get the car. I have told them numerous times to come and get it and here it sits. I feel im doing as well as most right now and doing the best I can, if one payment a month is not enough for you then come get the dang car and shut up!

• Mo
            moco Dec 15, 2009

DONT give these people your work phone number. I just switched jobs and will definitely not let them know abou it. I got behind on my payment (By a month due to being laid off) and they have been calling my parents 3000 miles away. WTF? Now my parents think Im a dead beat for not paying for my car. They say they are going to reposess it. Really? Just a month late? I've been hiding the car bcs im worried they reallywill take it. Does anyone know how far behind you have to be for them to take it? Also, has anyone ever had a car repossesed by them? What happens? Do they take you to court? I want to get rid of this ### car. It's about to break down anyways and is costing me like $500 a month. Total rip off. NOt to mention the interest rate.

Consumer Portfolio Services/Auto Loan — Rude, Illegally passing them selves off a government Organisatio, personal Threats, and releasing account information to Third Parties

These people have done the same things to my wife and I. YES THEY ARE VIOLATING THE LAW!!! I NOTICED NO ONE...

Consumer Portfolio ServicesTHREAT

I contact CPS to discuss my account due to change of employment
          date for next payment will change from 7/28 to 8/1 representative J. Brown ext.2806 was very rude told me she could only extend to 7/31 I explained the funds would not be available until 8/1 rep goes on to say they would have to pick up vehical. By this time I was very upset and said do what you have to do-I then asked to speak with a manager or supervisor. Rep refused to let me speak with anyone else. So I hung up and called right back while I was holding my other line had clicked it was the rep from CPS she called me back to retaliate some words were said by Ms. Brown the CPS representative a threat was made not sure what kind by that time I hung the phone up again.
          The point is that the rep called customer back with threat.

lisa Oct 03, 2008

IM VERY SORRY TO HERE YOU, COULD NOT GET YOUR PROBLEM FIXED. BUT YOU NEED TO UNDRESTAND THAT THEY LET YOU PUSH BACK YOUR PAYMENT BACK 3 DAYS. IF YOU MOVE YOUR PAYMENT FROM JULY TO AUGUST THAT IS EXTENDING YOUR CONTRACT (LEGALY) THEY CANT DO THAT. YOU ALWAYS HAVE A GRACE PERIOD TO MAKE YOUR PAYMENT YOU SHOULD FIND OUT WHAT THAT IS BEFORE YOU GET INTO IT WITH PEOPLE THAT ARE WILLING TO EXTED YOUR PAYMENT - GRACE PERIOD AR ALWAYS 5 TO 10 DAYS THAT WOULD HAVE SOLVED YOUR PROBLEM. YOU NEED TO STAY CALM AND THINK *** LEGALY*** YOUR PAYMENT CAN NOT SKIP A MONTH, WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR, WOULD VIOLATE YOUR CONTRACT

mad customer Apr 23, 2009

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH CPS CALLING MY JOB HARASSING ME, CALLING THREATING ME AND THEY EVEN CALLED MY MOTHER POSING AS A INVESTIGATION WITH THE POLICE DEPT WITH THREATS WHICH UP SET HER SO BAD SHE HAD TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL FROM IT. AND THE MANAGERS ARE JUST AS RUDE AS THE EMPLOYEES I DONT KNOW WHAT KIND OF COMPANY THAT THEY ARE RUNNING BUT THEY ARE NOT PROFESSIONALS AT ALL. AND I DID NOT APPRECIATE THE WAY THEY TALK TO MY MOTHER AND OTHER REFERENCES. I WORK AS A INVESTIGATOR AND IT IS AGAINST THE LAW FOR THEM TO CALL ANYONE AND POSE A PUBLIC SERVANT OR PEACE OFFICER TO TRY AND GET A CAR PAYMENT. I FEEL THIS COMPANY NEED TO BE SHUT DOWN BECAUSE ALL THE PEOPLE THAT WORK THERE ARE CRAZY RUDE

Consumer Portfolio ServicesDirty business

In 2006 I purchased a vehicle from a reputable car dealer who found financing for me with Consumer Portfolio Services in Irvine, California. Little did I know that this would be the biggest mistake that I could have made. Within 2 months I suffered the loss of my father and was unable to work for several weeks. I called CPS to inform them of my situation and that I was able to make the interest payment on the loan. I was told that they do not accept "partial payment" on a loan. This sounded crazy to me, as I have done this before on a home loan, not to mention an auto loan with a different lender. To make a long story short, in 2007 I moved to another state. I registered my vehicle on July 05, 07 in the new state. And they gave me a copy of the letter to be sent to the lienholder (CPS) requesting that they send the title to them to be titled in the new state. Since then my vehicle tags have came due, I cannot register my vehicle in the state I live in, nor can I do anything about it because CPS refuses to send the title to the state to be printed with them as the lienholder. Since then I have stopped payment to CPS and the vehicle has been repossessed by my request as it is no good to me if I cannot register the vehicle. I'm sure CPS will try to sue me, my plan is to file a countersuit if they try to put the repossession on my credit report. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THESE PEOPLE!

• Tm
                TM Aug 19, 2008

i totally agree with all of the complaints. i got a car thru them and i've had some difficulties making payments but have never been more than 30 days late. when i first started making payments, i was told there was a grace period of about 10 days after the due date. later on i was told there is no grace period.

i was told by the dealer, once i paid on the car for a period of time, i could refinance the vehicle;only to be told by CPS that they don't refinance.

They also don't allow you to skip a payment (move the payment to the end of the loan) unless there's a death in the family although this too could have changed. This is a common feature with loans thru a bank or credit union.

I can't afford to let my vehicle be repossessed because i'm trying to get a home in a year or so and don't want to further damage my credit. i do my best to be on time so they'll have no reason to call me or my job (which they've done).. I'm also gonna do my best to pay them off early even though they've already gotten what the vehicles worth.

now theres a possibility that my company could be downsizing and i'm confident CPS would be less than sensitive to that situation.

Any advice in the event I lose my job?

lisa Oct 02, 2008

Look people do not get the tittle to a car until it has been paid in full. Thats for CPS AND any other bank.- YOU got a car and in the frist 2 months YOU STOP MAKING PAYMENTS!!! you are a very RESPONSABLE PRESON. come on did your dad make the payment for you ? no so do not use your dads death as excuse to not pay your bills. then you skip town with a car thats not your - remeber it not your car until you have paid it to the bank. They paid the dealer for you to drive of with it. IM GLAD YOU HAVE BAD CREDIT BECAUSE YOU DONT CARE ABOUT YOUR CREDIT .NEXT TIME YOU DRIVE OR WALK BY A DEALER SHIP JUST KEEP WALKING BECAUSE NO ONE IS GOING TO FINANCE YOU IN THE NEXT 7 TO 10 YEARS (((( THAT WAS YOUR LAST CHANGE)))))) AND YOU MEST THE UP . HOPE YOUR HAPPY PAYING 23 TO 28% APR IN THE NEXT 7 YRS - HA HA LOOSER

Consumer Portfolio Services — Illegal collection tactics

To those of you that are currently being harassed by Consumer Portfolio Services please read this post. My...

Consumer Portfolio Services — Daily Harrassment and Threats!

Harrassment and Threats Everyday sometimes more than 5 times, By 5 different people. Asking me where is my...

Consumer Portfolio ServicesUnprofessional business tactics

These people have called me so many times at work daily and just today left me a message with the receptionist at my job saying to take my things out of the car because they are coming to get it. There is a law against releasing your personal information to others but then when I called them they told me that I have not been answering them so they will keep calling.

The supervisor I spoke with was just as rude as everyone else. I regret the day I ever signed up with these people for a car loan. They threaten to take the car and yell at you, then say you are having an attitude. Absolutely unprofessional!

• Je
                  Jeremiah Kinne Feb 05, 2008

Here's a little something to perk you up.

Report: CPS
                  Category: Government Services

CPS Consumer Portfoilo Service Cussed, Harrassed and Threaten Irvine California
                  Rebuttal Box
                  Respond to this report!
                  Are you an owner, employee or ex-employee with either negative or positive information about the company or can you provide "insider information" on this company?
                  Victim of this person/company?
                  Are you also a victim of the same company or person? Want Justice? File a [redacted] and don´t let them get away with it!
                  CPS

Submitted: 1/16/2008 10:43:22 PM
                  Modified: 1/16/2008 10:43:00 PM
                  Big poppa
                  herein, Kentucky

How about this, I got a loan in September and paid on time. I came into some money and I called the payoff phone number. I got the balance and went to the bank and got a cashier's check. I sent the check to the payoff address.
                  Then out of the blue I get a phone call. Not hello or how you doing but a very rude female which started the conversation with Why are you paying off your truck. I asked the person who they were and I got the CPS legal Department as a answer.

Then I was asked how i got the money to pay it off. I responded it really wasn't their business but i told them anyway. Then I asked, Why the legal department would contact me because I paid off the loan, of course I didnot recieve an answer.

then a few days later I get a call from some towing company telling me that they were going to repo my vehicle. I explained to the gentleman that it would be in the best interest of all the parties involed if he didn't pursue my vehicle.

I was then connected to the same lady that had called me before I believe her name was Connie this time she demanded a payment on the loan. I told her she should have already recieved a check from the bank and gave her the bank info etc. Then she called me a habital lair and a mother and yes I responed with my own feelings of her actions. I was threaten with being arrested for terroist threating and harrassment and they me.

And she told me she was contacting the local law enforcement. but if she had looked at my contract she would have known I am the local law enforcement authorty. So I called my lawyer and had her take over the resolution.

Now it gets better after my lawyer finished her phone conversation with Connie I got three phone calls in which they hung up on me in the presents of my lawyer and the persiding judge who just so happened to be in the room. then another call came and Connie told me on my speaker phone which I did record that ' I have done it now, having my lawyer call her that i better watch out because I was going to Get IT' . Good thing I had a room full of witnesses and lawyers oh and one State Senator who was extermly upset at the tactics.

Now later after my lawyer called back to request information and names and phone records oh and after my lawyer got off the phone with the US District Attorny's Office.

I did recieve a phone call from a lady that was pleasent and she wanted to see how we could mediate this problem. It's simple I paid you off, release the title and we are done. I will not be bullied.

Big poppa
                  herein, Kentucky
                  U.S.A.

• Je
                  Jeannie McLean Feb 10, 2008

These people are rentless!!! I regret the day I ever got a loan with them. I actully avoid speaking to them becuase they are so rude!! They question what I do with my money. The lady actually asked me what do I do with all my money that my payment was late. These people are rude and nasty so are the supervisors. One lady was so nasty she actually had me crying. I had to write a nasty letter to the upper mangement to get any sort of response from these people that was not a nasty one. However that did not last long. I hate this company and cant wait until this freaking car is paid off 1 more year.

• Na
                  Nani Newton Feb 27, 2008

Hhow does one go about filing a rip-off?

• Da
                  Danielle D. Feb 29, 2008

This company is rude. DO NOT GET A CAR LOAN FROM. IT'S NOT WORTH IT. They are unprofessional.

• To
                  Tom Mar 06, 2008

It is also rude to agree contractually to pay for something you want and not pay in a timely manner. Get real and pay your bills on time.

• Lo
                  lori nelson May 30, 2008

I live in girard pa, my credit is about a 600 so i went to a local car lot [bob ferrando ford world] i traded my car in for 500.00 I spent 3 days filling out paperwork signed everything transfered my title and drove away in my 2005 ford escape.Well 8 weeks later and several calls from consumer portfolio and bob ferrando ford, also a383.00 payment made' bob ferrando ford called me and told me they want the vehicle back, and consumer portfolio kicked back the paperwork and wont finance due to a change of address problem.Well i got my old car back'''''''and a screw you from bob ferrando and consumer portfolio this company needs stopped and these desparate dealerships who sucker you in and dont care how your mentally hurt are just as guilty . STAY CLEAR OF CONSUMER PORTFOLIO SERVICES PLEASE.

Consumer Portfolio Services — Loan payment problems

I am having the same problems as everyone else! I have been let go from one job because of these ignorant...

Consumer Portfolio Services — Harassing phone calls!

I recently had a tragic situation happen to my son where he is still fighting for his life and ultimately...

Consumer Portfolio Services — Harassing tactics

This company is a plain pain in the ? If I am more that 5 days late on a payment, they start calling 5-8...

Consumer Portfolio Services — Harassing calls at work!

This company calls me on my job no fewer than 6 times a day. Currently I owe for last months payment and thi...

Consumer Portfolio Services Inc — Terrible service!

This is the WORST auto loan experience that I have ever had in my life. I have been cussed numerous times by...

Consumer Portfolio Services, Inc. — Bad auto loan

Consumer Portfolio Services, Inc. - www.consumerportfolio.com I purchased a 2006 Dodge Truck in late 2006...