Consumer Portfolio Services Logo

Consumer Portfolio Services

Having problems with Consumer Portfolio Services?

1888 469 4520 (Customer Service)
1800 443 2588 (Investor Relations)
+1 800 304 6812 (Dealer Marketing Department)
+1 800 342 9246 (Career Opportunities)
19500 Jamboree Road, Suite 500
Irvine, California
Postal Address
PO Box 57071, Irvine, CA 92619

Complaints & Reviews

Excessive Phone Calls

These people call my excessively at work for my loan payment. I believe they sent out someone to repossess my car and I saw them sitting in my apartment complex so I left then came back about 20 minutes later and they were parked in a different location. When I called to ask if they had sent someone to repossess my car, they wouldn't give me a straight answer. Also they asked me the condition of my car. I would love to give them the car back!!! Working with this company has been a nightmare. Please let me know about the lawsuit. I'm all in!

• De
    destin2bmore May 06, 2010

There is a law suit against this company, please let me know about it. These are the most inconsiderate rude people I have ever dealt with. My car payment is 1 month behind and they had someone call me today to say that I was turning my car over to them. Which I never said, they lie about every conversation and call all the time. I would love to give my car back but then they will take my pay check according to them. I wish I have never gotten involved with them.

Mario M J May 19, 2010

My husband and I have had nothing but trouble with this company, they are rude pushy and liars! They had a towing company call to threaten us then told us there was never any orders for a towing or any contact with a towing company, they said they did not know what we were talking about.

My husband has been in the hospital with health problems, been laid off his job and we have had multiple other financial difficulties, they say they may be able to work with you but then turn around and charge you 10 dollars A DAY in late fees! Our fees now total more than our monthly payment and we are not even paying on our van we are only paying fees! They are more crooked than credit card companies! DO NOT FINANCE WITH THEM IF YOU ARE CONSIDERING IT!!!

Please keep posting any info about the law suit!!!

• Pr
    project626 Nov 11, 2010

Call and speak to Cindy Springstein.
    She is a Manager for CPS.
    (800)955-4193
    She seems to be a VERY helpful person.

Harrassment

I have been harrassed by phone call after phone call by CPS! They call my husbands work phone 5 to 6 time daily.. they call our cell phones 5 to 6 times daily after the first day our payment is late!! I understand I am responsible for making my payments on time but having some very hard finacial times right now.. I am tired of them calling an threating to take my truck just come and get it already I am so sick of all of this!! Today I tried to call them to request a copy of my title the guy put me on hold came back on and asked why I need it I told him that I needed it to file bankrupcty he put me back on hold, then came back on and said the scanner ate it?? It will now be 2 to 3 days for them to get a new one and fax it to me!! I think this is a stall tacktic to try and get me to pay them as much as possible before I file... I don't know what to think of them except don't ever use them!! No matter what walk ride the bus even a skateboard just DO NOT ever finance a car through this company!! Oh yes and they have given my information out to third parties SO illegal!!

Multiple Daily phone Calls

I am less then 30 days past due on my car payment with Consumer Portfolio Services and they send email...

Disturbing Phone Calls

My husband and I received a message on our answering machine from this company. The person said that they were looking to repossess "their car", and that according the car's owner, this car was left at our residence. These collectors named us by name AND stated our address! I have never heard of this company until now, nor do I know anyone who drives a car remotely like the one they are looking for. So I call the number they left and found no one helpful. Next I call the cell phone number that showed up on our ID, a woman answered. When I asked for the collector's name she said that there was no one there by that name. I stated that I was returning a call from CPS. She then gave me their 1-800 number!!! I explained to her that I do not and would not have an account with them, and that I am merely returning a call. She asked if the car was in my driveway. When I answered NO she immediately said "don't worry about it, they can't do nothing". I want to know who is supplying these people with contact information! She wanted to tell me that I had the wrong number, but it was okay for her to call my private home number looking for a car I know nothing about? These people are the ### of the earth. I pay cash for every vehicle I buy. We could put these losers out of a job if everyone did the same.

Currupt services

Working with Consumer Portfolio Services is impossible. Looking at account or trying to talk to them on the phone is impossible. Cheating customers with pay offs. If you are making a payoff your final payment should drop, but looking at a payoff cutting 2yrs of interest off a balance of $10566.00 the pay off would be $10640.00 . How could it increase . they cheat their customers every way possible. I would not recommend using them. If you see them comming run the other way.

• Ss
    sscottOC Aug 16, 2010

I hate this company!!! My finance company was bought out by CPS and it's been a nightmare ever since. Yes, my credit isn't perfect..granted I was putting myself through school and was unemployed for a year. I was late on one payment and it wasn't 30 days pass due...however it didn't stop them from being rude and ignorant. Clearly these guys are [censor]S and I thank god that I don't have their low end job. Yes they can harass me for a few days...but at the end of the day their harassing people on the phone for a living and get yelled out by their customers...bless their heart. My score is improving, and I'm sure living a better quality of life than most of the CPS employees. ..I have seen them...they look as what they sound like. I was young and I made my mistakes and my score shall pass.

• Pr
    project626 Nov 11, 2010

Call and speak to Cindy Springstein.
    She is a Manager for CPS.
    (800)955-4193
    She seems to be a VERY helpful person.

3rd Party Information Disclosued

A representative from CPS Car Loan called my neighbor on Saturday, December 12th disclosing personal...

Intrusive call

I received a call at my private home number from this company asking for my husband in reference to someone who has the same name as mine. I called to find out what this was about and learned they were seeking a woman supposedly related to my husband in regards to a 2004 Toyota Camry. I explained that my husband has been deceased for 5 and a half years and although my name is the same as the woman they were asking about, it was not me. I did not have a 2004 Toyota Camry. The woman on the line interrupted me to state they used investigators to obtain the information and that was what they go by. She asked if I lived in Ft Lauderdale and I said I used to but now lived in Tennessse which is the number she was calling. I stated that their information was incorrect and to remove my number as I do NOT like getting calls referring to my deceased husband.
MY complaint is that this unscrupulous action is very intrusive and disconcerting. They obviously obtained my number by crossreferencing similiar names.

• St
    stef69 Dec 14, 2009

I'm so sorry for your loss. My mother had a similar incident with MCI several years back. They did an unsolicited call to her about their "Friends and Family" plan and told her they had just got off the phone with my uncle who recommended her to join the plan. The problem? He passed away 2 weeks prior in a very long and painful struggle with cancer. The person on the other end actually had the gall to proceed with her sales pitch and ask if my mom was interested in signing up anyway. Some people have no sensitivity and deserve to rot in hell.

Car Payments

Consumer Portfolio is a BAD COMPANY to use or work for. They are rude and really could care less about their...

Harrassing Phone Calls

We have been harrased on levels we have never seen before. From CPS calling our family and friends, to unauthorized charges to our checking account, to being called names like ignorant and stupid. My wife was verbally attacked and insulted on the phone by a so-called representative who wanted to speak to me concerning our account. This person went off on her and when she told him she was busy and needed to go, he added insult to injury by referring to her employment status. My wife is in school and works very hard to support me in paying this bill whenever she gets some money. They yell at me when I try to explain my situation to them and this has to stop! They even suggested to my wife that I allow them to repossess the car so "they won't have to call back ever again". I wish I had the fianances to repay this loan in full so we wouldn't jave to deal with them.

• Pi
    Pissed as hell Aug 08, 2009

This company is absolutely out of control. I make the payment month after month but this month when I made the payment, I accidently paid the payment for $4 less that what it was supposed to be. That is right (FOUR DOLLARS) less that the amount supposed to be. They called the day after the payment was made and said this "I suggest you call us today or we are going to repo your car" OVER FOUR DOLLARS. They can kiss my A$%. Does anyone know of any class action lawsuits currently going on with this company that can be joined????

• zoloftn151 Aug 08, 2009

What are you going to sue for? You did not make the full payment as your contract requires and its their fault? Give ME a break. Send them the 4$ and quit whining.

jules82 Nov 23, 2009

I too have had the same exact problem with this company. I have come to the conclusion that this is a govt owned company. Because they break every law that can be broken and they are still in business, it leads me to believe that the govt set up this company to give the poorest of poor and those that struggle the most to pay their debts for whatever reason, a loan to get a car so they can continue to work. A person with a car is much more likely to be responsible then someone who doesn't have a car. If it wasn't a govt owned company there is no way they wouldn't have been sued. I would like to start a civil law suit. I would like to get everyone that has had any kind of bad experience with this company an opportunity to take part in this law suit. If you are interested in moving forward with me, please email me at [email protected] In the subject line please post CPS Car issues. If you would forward me an email with what you have gone thru with this company and any contact info you feel comfortable sharing, I promise you I will do my best to expose these people in our court system. This company went into my daughters checking account a second month in a row, and took payment, even though they were told several times that they could only take one months payment. The lady then said to my daughter we will be taking next months payment as well. My daughter said no, they didn't have her permission to go in there any other time but the payment she was calling for. They went ahead and stole the money out of her account the next month without any kind of contact or permission. I too have suffered all the same phone harassment as well as having all my family members being told that they were coming to repo my car. Again, I will be shopping for an attorney and filing a class action law suit. If the govt is behind this, it needs to be exposed, if this is an American company doing business in America, then they need to abide by the laws in America and calling and threatening and stealing money from our accounts is not the way we do business in a law abiding country. Email me if you are interested in joining this civil lawsuit. [email protected]

matos Jan 05, 2010

This Company Call me on my Job, cell phone while Iam working, no fewer but more than 5 or 7 time a day.Currently I owe for last month payment on my car, Past Due on the 20 Dece 2009. I will Paid these people. In the meantime, Although they can call me at my phone but they call me at my ex-wife home phone number, that is day and night, using different phonr number, when I work I can't call back, they call me back and leave me multiple messages and if I don't call then back soon enough they call friend or somebody, they call me to tell me, my Bill Collectors are calling about my car. This is unbelievable. I don't care much to talk to then, because they talk to me nasty, they have treatened me, they call me to tell me that they wil come to my Job or where Iam to take the car from me, and then after work how I get to work home at nigh 20 miles.to my house. That is unprofessional for someone to telling me things like that, some lady told me that I neeed to be in Jail, they need to stopp calling, but they wont stop..Last Month I was without a job, I explain to then about the car payment, because I was without a job for 2 month, they told that I need to sale something to made the payment, I sold my furniture leaving my children and my wife without nothing.I ask the work with me they told me.
    I just got another phone call( time 6:10PM, also hey call me fromn this phone number
    (407)551-6400 ( 866-764-5191 and they wont stop harrasment.
    Miguel Matos

• Te
    T.E.J. Jun 25, 2010

I totally agree. If they are calling a third party that is against the law. It took them 4.5 months after I told them to come and get the car that I lost my job and couldn't pay for it. Even since they picked it up I have received over 200 calls from them most of them just a recording.

Harrassment, Disrespect and Lying

The next time you go car shopping and the dealer says CPS has approved your loan - RUN, take a bus, ride a bike or steal a car, but whatever you do don't finance with this disreputable company.

I am a professional person with an MBA, but a history of some difficult times which ruined my credit. I am not an idiot and therefore do not feel I should be subjected to being treated like one. I have been harrassed daily by this company for over a month. I have had them call my place of employment and threaten coworkers to find me. They call and leave endless messages that the driver is "on his way to get your vehicle". All this for ONE missed payment - 32 days late. Now I realize a contract does not allow for missed payments and they have every right to repossess the vehicle. However, just stop with the calls and bring your truck!

I called the day before my payment was due to discusss arrangements as I am going through some difficult times. My intent is not to default on my loan and I was merely trying to keep the lines of communication open. The "manager" I spoke to was not only disrespectful, but openly LAUGHED at me on the phone because I was trying to explain my situation. I asked him not to be rude which merely escalated his poor behavior to the point of yelling at me. I have never been treated like this by a business in all my life.

The sad thing is, I wanted to speak to someone to report this unprofessional behavior, but pretty much everyone in the company has the same attitude. I think this is the source of my frustration. I understand by not paying my bill, I breached the contract and it is ultimately my fault. However, quit harrassing me and take the car!

I would encourage anyone to refuse to purchase a vehicle from a dealer who uses this company for financing, refuse to buy any vehicle financed through this company. I will never, ever do business with them again.

• St
    stanggt Mar 22, 2010

they do what they want and the government lets them run amuck! they are jerks and i will never ever in my life give this company another penny! don't let them threaten you with i'll attch your wages crap either! send them 5.00 and if they accept they are up the creek! then they have to accept 5.00 until the balance is paid! i think everyone that has a loan with them should quit paying and let the company go belly up. they called here and my husband answered the phone they were talking about another loan holder and laughing he was on the phone for 15 minutes listening to them laugh about what they had said to him and scared him and he went and made the payment. my suggestion to anyone who is having problems with them give it back!!! they hate this and then it turns into a screaming match and in the end you'll feel better. trust me!! i have went round and round with them! and told them to come and get it asap!! like yesterday!! they drove by and shined their spotlight in my house windows at midnight and the car was right there! scare tactic!! then they call and say we're going to assign it!!! ASSIGN IT AND COME GET IT!!! THEY CALLED AND LEFT A MESSAGE AND THEY SAID F**K and i called them right back and cursed them out!! they have very poor communication skills! and the government is avoiding them! close them down and sell all their loans out! maybe then i could work with the other comapny and keep my car! they called me and told me they were from the sherriff's department and then they told me they were from the federal government and they were an attorney. i have caller id. it was a cell phone number! i forwarded this to my attorney.and then they would not answer the phone! could it be that it was from an attorney office on their caller id? and that maybe scared them. well they have called about 12 times today starting at 7 am. and these calls will last until about 10pm tonight! it does'nt really bother me. call as many times as you would like!!! some good advice like stated above if the dealership says CPS run like the wind!!! i mean like the wind!!!

About company personally

One thing is for sure. I worked at Consumer Portfolio Services before. I was relieved of my duties when I wasn't able to conduct myself in a professional matter on the phone. I was almost forced to treat customers unlawfully. I was mistreated by my supervisor while residing there and also my manager. I was called slow, I was told I was not fit for the job; you know what... I was fit for the job just not the illegal tactics they deliberately wanted me to perform. I was told not to do anything illegal in front of the VP and Manager because we could be fired yet they were the ones enforcing us to retrieve the payments any way we can. Even if it meant falsely stating that the vehicle was in repossession status when it wasn't. If anyone wanted to file a law suit on the company, please do count me in on the law suit. I will be a benefit to anyone considering I was on the inside and they attempted me to conduct illegal tactics on customers.

• Li
    Lisa123 Dec 29, 2009

This is great to hear, They are just terrible to customers and I am surprised that they are even still in business. PLease let me know your contact information. Thanks so much for your insight. my email address is [email protected]

• Ta
    Tawana JOseph Dec 31, 2009

I agree, and I am glad you came forward to help. I have already contacted my attorney to start legal procedures. I have been collecting notes and dates on CPS's representative for 3 years. I would love to get your insight as well as start a national class action suit against this company. My email is [email protected]

• Dr
    DrSpike89 Mar 12, 2010

I agree 100% with all of the above complaints. I don't even have an account with them, my brother put me down as a reference on his auto loan. Now with the economy the way it is he has fallen behind on his payments. I've been getting numerous phone calls from them wanting me to advise my brother everything from "they are reposessing his truck", to "call them", to "their having an attorney start a lawsuit", , they are terrible. I have asked them numerous times to have my info removed from the file as my brother did not have my permission to even put me down for a reference and that I haven't talked to him in months that we don't communicate any longer and they still call me. The last 3 calls I've received were all from a Larry out of the Illinois office and he is, in my opinion, a terrible representative. I advised him that upon speaking with my attorney after the last call to advise him that this is now considered harassment and that I am invoking public law 95-101 and that I do not want any further contact from him or CPS regarding this account. I asked him for a mailing address as I need to send them a written request to stop contacting me and advising I've invoked public law 95-101, he advised me they had attorneys too and wasn't worried about it and proceeded to give me an address in California, which from what I've found on the web has nothing to do with Minnesota accounts. If there is any type of civil action taking place on them by all means count me in, my email is [email protected] and I'll send an email to the above individuals as well. Thank you for taking the ball on this.

rudeness and unprofessional

CPS IS THE RUDENESS COMPANY I EVER DEAL WITH IN MY LIFE.THESE PEOPLE CAN'T BE GODLY PEOPLE, THEY NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS IN THEY LIFE.THEY NEED TO KNOW THREAT A PERSON TELL THEM U GONE PICK THEY CAR UP AND TELLING THEM WE A SECOND CHANCE COMPANY THAT DO NOT GIVE ANYONE THE RIGHTS TO BE RUDE.OK I DO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY ARE A SECOND CHANCE COMPANY BUT U PICK A CAR UP IF A PERSON PAY HALF PAYMENT AT LEAST I'M TRYING.I, M TRYING TO GET TO HEAVEN BUT I DISLIKE THIS COMPANY.THEY DISRESPECTFUL, U HAVE A FEW THAT START OUT NICE THEN THEY END UP BEING RUDE I GUESS THE WHOLE COMPANY WAS TAUGHT TO BE RUDE IF THEY NOT GIVE U MONEY. I SEE WHAT GOD SAY IS RIGHT THE RULE OF EVILNESS IS MONEY.A SECOND CHANCE COMPANY BUT THEY DON'T WORK WITH U ONCE U IN THERE COMPANY.THANK U

They do not know what they are doing!

These people are uneducated to be dealing with the public. I called and told them my situation, they told me...

Over pay

I called to get a pay off for my car. They are telling me I owe $11, 000.00+ . I don't see how when I've been paying on the car for 3 years. When I got the car it was only $17, 000. +. So if you figure it up I've paid over $12, 000.+ in the last 3 years. So how can I still owe over $11, 000. If you can find out way please let me know. They say they will repo the car. After learning of this, I told them to come get the car. I'm I wrong.?

• Mo
    moxley Oct 02, 2009

Do you know what the interest rate was on the car when you purchased it?

Interest is compounded annually and you pay the bulk of the interest off before your payments generally apply to the principal (EG the actual amount of the car).

Unfortunately they are probably right - but you should check into it. They should be able to explain it to you.

• Ra
    rachel1621 Feb 10, 2010

look at your original loan papers, i have the same thing, i bought the car for 17, 500 but after interest (when i bought the car i didn't even look at what i would actually be paying, i was a kid) i will be paying 29, 000!! its crazy but thats what happens

• De
    Denise Brasfield Mar 16, 2010

I say one thing something really needs to be done about this over paying, all because of interest.

Lies

I currently have a loan with them. Horrible sub humans, they gave people who live in my neigborhood my birth day the last 4 digits of my social and my date of birth. Keep in mind i have little to no communication with my neighbors. The lady who approached me came up to me resighting this information, because she didnot know my name... and she told me who it was that called her. I have filed a complaint with the better business bureau and will file another one. I moved, and wasnt in my new place two weeks and there was some weird guy shooting off question after question, and then put me on the phone with one of there reps. She was calling me to defer one month payment, along with removing all interest for past due (which exceeds my monthly payment by the way) and not to worry about the Irvin people, she was in the FL office. well guess what after paying the amount she told me it would take and paying the 50.00 to get it started... here they come billing me and calling... so how was one month deferred it i owe 3 car payments? File with the Better Business Bureau I know i am.

• Da
    dakota1996 Oct 13, 2009

I COMPLETELY agree with you. I fell a little behind on my payment. I found out that I have a disease that will never get better and will only get worse as time goes on. My husband was laid off briefly and I called them to explain my situation. I was informed to clean out the truck and they would be there very shortly unless I made a payment within the hour. I filed a complaint with the BBB and was IMMEDIATELY contacted by the collections supervisor who told me that everything would be okay in light of my health issues annd other circumstances. She (Tasha Holmes) informed me that they would defer all owed and bring everything current if I could make a $25.00 extension fee. I paid the payment and called them. I left a message and no one returned my call for 3 days. When I finally did call them to give them a fax number to fax to extension paper I was told that I would not be given a deferrement! I them spoke to Tasha's supervisor who told me there was nothing I could do. I told him to come get the truck immediately because I was tired of dealing with them and tired of harrassing calls, rude and threateneing attitudes and them calling my friends giving out personal information. I then got a call from another lady (very nice), who said she was not going to let them do this to me. I HATE this complany and if I had known how bad they were, I would have never even gotten the loan. They have called they day BEFORE the payment was due threatening me. I used to do car loans and I know you have to be firm in collections, but I also know you must be tactful and show professionalism. Don't always believe them when they call threatening repossession because they are just trying to scare you into giving them money you don't have. Call their bluff and tell them to come ahead and get it. They have even went so far as to call my friend and tell them the police would be at my husband's work to arrest him for theft. They are nothing but crooks and liars. They don't want your vehicle because it will cost them more to repossess than wait for the payment. I hope this helps!

• Wi
    will goodwin Jun 02, 2010

called the representative today and they threated me with garnishment after i tried to do a voluntary repocession of the vehicle they told me to take it to carmax and get rid of the vehicle that way.

Horrible Representatives

This is the worst company every when it comes to their collections area. I received a call today from a collections rep to call back [protected] x2804 about my account. I called her back and she proceeded to advise me I had bounced two payments this month. The first one came back as account not found. I explained to her I called rep and gave bank info and if number was possibly typed incorrectly. She basically told me that was impossible and I am responsible for fee. Then I had made another payment online 08/20 which ended up being taken out of my bank account twice. At that time I had called and spoke to a wonderful Customer Service Rep who was wonderful in assisting me and refunding me the 2nd charge to my account. The collections rep today insisted that my payment on the 20th also bounced so no payment at all was made it August. I asked her why they would refund me if my payment bounced. I told her I even faxed the customer service rep my bank statement showing the payment cleared. She said there are no notes and basically said I was lying. She refused to contact the previous rep or wait on the line while I contacted my bank. She said pay up or else. I was trying to explain again to her but she rudly refused to listed or even check into the situation and ended up hanging up on me. I called the customer service rep back I had previously delt with. She checked into the account and waived any NSF fees and also told me the pmt on 08/20 was coded incorrectly and was not a returned payment. She fixed the problem within 10 minutes. Now why was the collections rep so rude and why couldn't she do the same rather then call me a liar? Customer service is great but collections sucks. I work as a customer service rep and not sure how people can get away with treating people this way.

• Ms
    MsCnwdc Sep 25, 2009

In Sept, 2008, I lived in Galveston...lost most everything except the car (unfortunately). CPS was horrible, the guy was mean and totally uncaring. We finally got past that then in March '09 my company shut down completely, I got behind but caught up again. June 2009, I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. I, as of today am two payments behind plus their late fees which almost equal another payment. They called yesterday, as they do everyday, during a radition treatment, I could not take the call so 40 minutes later when they called again, the rude supervisor does not believe i have radiation and chemo 5 days per week and simply wants to pick up the car! They will not provide me with the claim for for the disability insurance I took when financing which should cover one payment. I'm making one payment today but have no faith in what will happen next. The people are the worst I've ever delt with!

Charleane Jan 16, 2010

I am for the first time in four years having a similar experience with CPS... I've been explaining to my rep that I can make a payment to catch up for last month's and this month's note (December and January) on January 30 since I am just returning to work following maternity leave. The rep has been rude, interrupts me when I am talking, tells me I did not do something I know I did - just completely rude. I keep trying to call and speak with a supervisor and continue to be put on hold - the longest for an hour - and then the phone system will disconnect me!! I don't know what to do...

Harassment and threats

CPS is very rude with me whenever I deal with them. I was out of work for two months, out on family medical leave without pay. I asked them to defer the month of april's payment of $313.00, only missed one month payment. I have been called rude, stupid and ### by several of the there reps. They are now charging me late fees of almost $18.00 a month on top of another $10.00 fee to either postdate a check or pay by debit card and told me I had to pay this way, even though I said I'm mailing the check that day, which I have a 10 day grace period. My payment due date is on the 12th of the month and I was going to mail it on the 17th this past month and according to them it's already late and your charging me late fees on top of it and won't wave the late fees so I can send them an extra $25.00 a month until the april $313.00 payment is paid off. They even had the nerve to ask me to borrow the money from someone to pay off the april payment. They call me, even text my cell phone and even email me demanding me to call them about my car. The loan I have this car with was also purchased from Autotorium dealership who got me the loan from CPS. (How ironic) Is everyone aware that all the autotorium dealerships are out of business, shortly after I got the car the salesperson no longer worked there, that particular Autotorium, Plaistow, N.H. was shut down, went out of business and CPS also went banrupt. This is absolutely appauling. People do not deserve to be treated like this or ripped off like this. I really hope that some lawyer will help all of us with a class action lawsuit against both companies, I am all done with CPS. This is wrong. I was so, so sick in the months of april and may and they were calling me with absolutely no empathy, compassion, just plain cold asking me and demanding my payment. They have also consistantly threatned to repo my car all because i'm one month late. As far as I'm concerned come and get it, it's the principal of the matter at this point. It's causing way to much stress for me which I don't need because of a disability I have and both CPS and Autotorium know I have a disability, They've know it from day one because part of my income is SSDI which they have on file. How dare you do this to anyone and even worse to someone with a disability. This is so wrong. Someone please help us all.

• Ia
    IA Gal Nov 02, 2009

I am in total agreement with you... there have been times, even within my so-called 10 day grace that they've called & called me nonstop calling night & day, every day of the week. Even more bizarre was that on occasion, I'd ALREADY paid it! Yet, when I told them that, they argued with me. It was insane. I paid online once and they lost that pymt which I told them was impossible because I had a confirmation #. Again, they argued with me and told me to prove it (duh, that's what the confirm # is for). I asked to have my paymt date changed and they said "No", but added the 10day grace is intended to help people whose due date does not work with them financially. Yet, if you try to use it, they say you're late. Furthermore, I'd been paying extra each month--after notifying them & having it approved--to make up any late fees. But then I noticed they weren't applying any extra money at all & in fact they were still INCREASING the late fee amount. I called to say you can't continually charge & charge & charge me on a ONE TIME late fee; that's illegal. They said they weren't. I explained to them they were & even worse, weren't giving me credit for my extra money being sent in. They claimed they'd address it. Guess what? I'm still waiting...

• Ba
    Barbara M Scott Jan 09, 2010

I totally agree with both statements that are listed about. However that call my job telling whoever answer the phone at my place of business telling them to ask me where the car is in the park lot they have a tower truck waiting outside. They told me also we do not care about you other bills. Also I called them and told them I have and fraud on my old checking account number months ago and please do not run any payment on that account because it closed. They did just that on a closed account, I do appreciated the help on my behind payments on my car loans. I even ask can the refinance my payment to be lower so I can afford them better, cause I'm the only one in my house whole working and doing what I can, have not hear anything from the company on yes or no if they would be able to help me out. Yes I know I purchase vehicle and it is my responsible to pay for it. I'm human and things to help to us all. I literally had some of the resprentive to use foul language at me and I just hung up the phone.

Cheryl Foy Apr 08, 2010

I totally agree with the statement from from both client, They call your job harassing you on your jobs and calling your house treating me, If this keep up I will report them to the better business bureau, I just got off the phone with one agent and she was very rude her name is Lisa

• Va
    valerie gill May 05, 2010

my mom is going tthrough the same thing. They are very rude disrespectful. I am from new jersey and she finance her car at fifteen thousand and already paid a total of nineteen thousand. They use a phone book and trys to call every one you know to cause you shamebut they are the ones who looks crazy hate this company.

• Ne
    new car May 20, 2010

we bought a 2004 car in 2007 on May 13, 2010 we traded that car in for another one (different loan co. thank god) we owed 7600.00 still onthat car but the dealer ship paid off the loan now they are calling me because I didnt make my may payment why should I its paid off then they tell me I owe 600.00 in other fees I told them it should all be taken care of in the loan . they said no way .they want me to pay by tomorrow. I dont have that Kind of money .the woman that called left me a very nasty and rude . threating with leagal action ect. I have been a good customer what do they want blood.

Unlawful debt collection methods

Over the past year, I have been financially assisting my mother who has been (thankfully) undergoing successful cancer treatments. I had gotten a month behind in my car payment, and observed the following collection practices.(My experience was with Jay and Angie L at CPS)

-Calling family members prior to even being a month overdue.
-Calling family members and revealing account numbers, debt amount, and commenting that "I believe he is skipping out on his loan" to my aunt.
-Calling random extensions at my place of employment and leaving messages for these employees to give me messages
-Leaving messages for my cancer-ridden aunt harassing her, when she was not even on my list of references.

I was given the chance to setup a deferrment, which I agreed to. I setup the last months payment and the deferrment fee($50) as an automatic payment, postdated for payday. Come payday, the full payment of $357 was taken, but no deferrment fee. The next week I started receiving the same harassing phone calls, including calls threatening to reposess the car and garnish wages, and was very confused, as I believed I had been given a payment deferrment.

These folks are very close to scammers, and I would recommend recording EVERY SINGLE CALL you have with them, and do not recommend giving them any information, even if you are trying to be agreeable. These folks will lie to you, tell you that the notes in your account do not exist, and repeatedly call.

• In
    Inbound Collector Jul 22, 2009

Pay your bill ###.

anonymousperson Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, pay your bills. Everyone has a friggin sob story.

Sandra Graff Jul 23, 2009

Please report this. Their tactics are not only unethical but illegal.

angrycitizen Sep 16, 2009

"Pay your bills."

Don't you think reasonable people would if they could? We didn't go searching for somewhere to lodge a complaint because we're lazy. There is a right way to treat people, and a wrong way. You represent the industry that uses the wrong way.

Be respectful and REASONABLE, and maybe you'll get something in return.

Until then, I hope someday you end up with your own "sob story". It's interesting to be on the other side of the coin, jackass.

Liers

I have been financed through this company since Feb. 2007 I have never missed a payment at all always on time with them. In June I could no linger afford the payments of 400 a month due to losing job and trying to collect my unemployment with 3 children. I called them to let them know I was going to be unable to continue paying on the car. And asked them to make arrangements with me on surrendering my car back to them. They said ok we are going to take you to court and when start working we will garnish your wages. I said you have to do what you got do. So they said we will call you in week with when we will be coming to pick up the vehicle. ok no problem. they call me yesterday and tell me oh you were approved for a free of charge deferment on the vehicle so it gives you until July 31 to try and see if you can afford the vehicle again. i said ok well they have my bank account info. from my previous payments because that is the way i have always paid. well the [censored]en a**holes went and processed a payment without telling me and made me overdraw on my account. so now i have no money for my children. i have been trying to contact them and i have no luck in getting someone to talk to me. well little do they know i have contacted my back and i am disputing this transaction that has left me nothing for my kids. this is company is wrong in the way they do there bussiness and i advice everyone to stay away from them...

• Js
    J.Spicer Jul 16, 2009

I also experienced harrassment from this company. I filed a complaint with a consumer rights law firm for (FREE) and settled with CPS. If you are looking for a firm to help you stop this behaviour with CPS give them a call. Weisberg & Associates 1-866-775-3666, and ask for Alex.

J. Spicer

• Do
    donna do u wanna Feb 17, 2010

so when does a company need to charge u 12.00 to pay your car payment... they call everyone in your family if u are a day late...run run why u can dont do anything with them... run run

Awful company

My loan was do on May 11th 2009 but because of my car breaking down and unforseen billing I was pressed regarding my car note...I was told by a very nice csr to call back on the day my payment was do and speak with a supervisor regarding my hardship. I called that day and was told to fax over a copy of my repair order and a signed instllment credit extension agreement. I did just that...faxed one to the sender (management) and one went to the modification department. I was told by management that I was approved for the extension and that my payment wouldn't be due until the following month. note: (I have never missed or been late on a payment)

I go along thinking everything has been handled in a professional manner I even faxed another extension agreement 3days later after getting another call from another cps rep and when I told her what was going on with my account she just advised that I send another fax over the the modification dept. She was pleasent.

However I get a call today at my job from another CPS Rep his name ALBert.
The call threw me off at first and when I couldn't explain the name of the forms that I faxed over last week he stated that I needed to send him a copy of what was sent...I said that I didn't have the paperwork in hand he got even more obnoxious and said that there was no information noted on the account and since I couldn't come up with the forms that I must be making it up...I was livid when I asked to speak with he supervisor he refused and stated that I could have voice mail. I could feel my blood boiling and because I am at my job and I myself deal with customers I refused to get any more upset and chose to end the call by hanging up on this CPS professional and called back to speak with his supervisor...I told his boss what happened and asked them to please listen to the call that just took place between me and this rep. She stated that she would and apologized for the problem I had with Albert..I don't know if these complaints help in these matters or even if these people get written up...I do know that BBB is aware and hopeful that something will be done. We live in sensitive times and I am a firm believer in Karma and how we live our lives and inner act with others will manifest itself in our own personal day to day transactions.

I believe that this will be resolved sooner or later...People are tired of being treated like doo doo...

• Js
    jsmithee Jun 29, 2009

It's not a "car note". Let's talk like adults when we are discussing financial matters. We aren't in a club or chatting with our homegirls.

Things will be resolved when you make your car payment, instead of making excuses.