Consumer Portfolio Services Logo

Consumer Portfolio Services

Having problems with Consumer Portfolio Services?

1888 469 4520 (Customer Service)
1800 443 2588 (Investor Relations)
+1 800 304 6812 (Dealer Marketing Department)
+1 800 342 9246 (Career Opportunities)
19500 Jamboree Road, Suite 500
Irvine, California
Postal Address
PO Box 57071, Irvine, CA 92619

Complaints & Reviews

This place has no customer service, they harass you, and they don't deserve to have anyone give them their business

I agree with all of the other complaints filed about CPS. If your auto retailer mentions that they are providing you in house financing or lending with CPS (Consumer Portfolio Services), walk away, run, hitch hike, do whatever you can do to get out. Don’t sign up for a loan with Cps. I was in a real pinch when I purchased my car from a local auto (Big Name) dealership here in Anchorage. I won’t name names, but it rhymes with “Hal Northington.”

They offered in house financing which I thought meant the loan came straight from the dealership. Come to find out, this was not true. They had actually financed me with Cps. Now I am stuck paying on a car that I’ve been upside down in since the minute I purchased it, almost 3 years ago.

If my payment is more than 3 days late, they start calling me at my work, home and cell phone, which I regret ever giving them. Harassment today I attempted to call them SEVEN times, each time I was told to hold on before I even got a word out, then my call was disconnected after holding for 5 minutes.

This happened seven times over a three hour period. Eventually, I caught on and started talking immediately when they answered and was able to catch someone’s attention. Then I explained to the agent on the line what happened and she didn’t care I told her that I’m sure she meant to apologize for their poor customer service. This place has no customer service, they harass you, and they don’t deserve to have anyone give them their business.

She seems to be a VERY helpful person
    Otherwise, everytime you call. get the persons name who you spoke with and inform them that you are recording the conversation

Resolved shared information

My son has a car loan thru this company. He had a streak of bad luck. His wife is on disablity and he got behind on his bills. He had no choice but to get subprime lending. It can happen to anyone. He owed March's payment and got a call from them. He mailed it out the next day. 4 days later they called his work and asked for him by first name only. There is another person ther with same first name and he got the call. They did not verify the last name and went on to share the info about being late on his payment to this other person.This is against the law. I work for a company and I can not give out any info without proof that I am speaking to the correct person by verifing ss number or a faxed letter signed by them to compare signatures. I do not know wwhat kind of action he can take or if it will do any good. I only see BAD reviews about this company and I pray he does not have to deal with them again. He will have his vehicle paid off in 6 months. Thanks for listening. Concerned mother, .

She seems to be a VERY helpful person

Have been harassed by their collectors for auto loan

I have had my car financed through CPS since Feb. 2005. Since then, I have been harassed by their collectors. My family and friends have been harassed by their collectors as well. The company’s collectors have violated FDCPA laws by giving out my account information and unlawfully collecting. I received a voicemail on 12-28-09 from a representative by the name of Jay (I still have the voicemail) stating that she has a check payment holding my account and I did not call in to authorize it.

I immediately called her back and told her I never gave a check payment to hold my account until 12-25-09. She asked why I was late I told her, and I told her I would call in on 12-31-09 with an arrangement if I could not come up with the payment. I go to withdraw funds today and find that CPS took an unauthorized payment out of my checking account using my debit card visa number not a check. I did not give them authorization to take a check payment or a debit payment out of my account, let alone give them my debit visa card number. I contacted my attorney to obtain my options to sue.

She seems to be a VERY helpful person

Resolved very rude and unprofessional

I sent them a message via their website informing them of when and how I will pay them. A day before I told them the payment will be electronically made via my bank Miss Gonzalez calls and shows no awareness of the message. I was very nice and told her what was in the message. While I was talking she HANGS UP on me!!! What in the world! That is extremely childish and there was absolutley NO cause for that! So unprofessional! I'll be done with them soon! I wish they could be reprimanded for their harassment and unprofessionalism!!!

Lies and Harrassment

CPS financed my car 2 years ago. One month, I called because I was going to be late with my payment. They offered a one-time-only deal of extending that payment for 2 weeks. I accepted. What they did not tell me was that this was a permanent change to my payment due date. Since then, I am now ALWAYS 2 weeks late with my payment with monthly late fees piling up that I refuse to pay. I currently owe almost $2, 000 in late fees because of this; also, because of this continual lateness, they have harrassed me at work calling continuously while I am in class teaching. One day I had to argue with the csr because she told me to clean out my car, she was sending a repo team to my school to pick up my car. I asked her if I could call her back in 20 minutes after my students left, she said to just clean out my car. I chewed her out and hung up. She called 5 minutes later claiming that it was not her who had previously called me and asking if I would PLEASE return her call in 20 minutes. They have also harrassed my elderly and ill parents, my neighbors, my friends, and my coworkers.

• Th
    The light of god Aug 25, 2013

Project 626, so how does it feel to work for a company that is greedy, and posted on BBB comments to get a 5 star rating. What is it like to work for a company that breaks every "Fair Credit Reporting" law, Consumer Rights Law just because your company can get away with it. I bet the people those who work for CPS are rejects and bullies of society, looking for a power trip to destroy lives of good people. God will punish you, because what goes around comes around and negative energies that CPS cultivates can only lead to lives of doom of those who are employees of CPS. My prayers to you that you will learn the power of God and some day be blessed with honesty, goodness and a better sense of humanity.

project626 Aug 26, 2013

Actually, I dont work for CPS and I never will.
    I too had a loan with them and after demanding I speak with a manager concerning my issues and the way I was treated. She was the one who called me back and seemed to be sincere and apoligized for the way I was treated.
    She even changed my due date to the end of the month which was my original request.
    Since then, I've had no problems with them, although I had no reason to call them or them call me as I was able to make my payments on time.
    I was just giving out that information so people will contact her directly to rectify their problems.

Resolved Illegal Collection Practices

CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST CONSUMER PORTFOLIO SERVICES - JOIN
SEND CONTACT INFORMATION TO [protected]@GMAIL.COM

• Da
    dana tapley May 13, 2011

These people are contacting and harassing my neighbors. please help. This has to violate the privacy act laws.
    D Tapley

• Do
    Donna Croft Jul 15, 2011

I have repeatdly told these people that this is an invalid debt, and to stop calling me, after many calls from them and explaining in depth why this is not valid to ME! I finally got tired of the harrassment, and being told that they don't care what my situation is they will continue till they collect from me, after all its in my name, and this is a 8 year old account that was paid off in full to ORCHARD BANK, WHEN I WAS DIAGNOSED. and finally had to explain to them that regardless of what they think I am a Cancer patient that lives on 600 dollars a month SSDI. They continue to call and use false CALLER ID identifiers, to reach me at my home. I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO AFTER 45 CALLS. HELP!!!

Resolved Denial of Valid Payoff Amount

During life of loan coerced in to post dated checks, harrassed, references harrassed, only 30 days past due, when post dated check processed on unagreedupon date caused return. Called to advise problems with other personal checks and Ms. Williams stated "oh so I guess if we told you to jump off a building you'd do that too?". Consistantly rude, harrassing, violation of creditor/lendor rights and to this day I've been waiting on valid pay off for more than thirty days. They are not honest and have no regard for the regulations they are to work within for the state in which the car loan originates in regard to collection policies and protections under the law for the person paying the loan. Anyone interested in joining a a "Class Action" lawsuit, please contact [protected]@gmail.com

Resolved rude

These people call me everyday about 5 times asking for money for a truck that they took. I had lost my job...

Harrassing Customer service

I've been dealing with this company for over three years and refuse to spk with anybody with this RUDE...

Resolved Rude and Harrassing

This company is very harrassing and constantly calls my house phone, work phone and my cell phone and leave rude messages threaten to come pick up my car and when I return the call its totally different story! Sometimes I am late on my payment or I make a partial payment which may be half or more than half of my monthly note and still harrassment. They are very unprofessional and talk to me like I am nothing. Sometimes they leave me in tears after the way they talk to me. I could not believe when they told me well can't you borrow the money from someone to pay your car note, why are you late, why don't you have a checking account? I will be so glad when I pay this car off and will never purchase another car through them. I promise if I would have know how rude and unprofessional these people were I would not have accepted the loan. They are so stressful! I had a loan for a car through a bank and they never gave me as much trouble as CONSUMER PORTFOLIO SERVICES!

Speak to the manager
    Her name is Cindy Springstein
    800-955-4193

project626 Nov 12, 2010

Well DAWNIETTE & MAGGIE
    The problem is that even if you're one (1) day late they are hounding you as if you're 3 months late.
    Most banks (or other lending institutions) will not contact you until you are past the 10 day grace period where a late fee will be tacked to your account.
    Why you ask?
    Because most Reputable institutions take certain things into consideration such as mail, website malfunctions, and so forth.
    However regardless of why you're late, there is no reason (ABSOLUTELY NO REASON) why they should be rude, nasty, obnoxious, or inconsiderate when they call.
    I'm a customer service manager and if I ever heard one of my employees THREATENING a customer they would be properly dealt with and more than likely terminated.
    Also, you do not release information to anyone other than the person(s) who is on the loan. You do not threaten or give personal information to any listed reference. Your only goal is to obtain contact information so you can contact the person(s) on the loan.
    You do NOT harass friends, co workers, bosses, or family.
    As a matter of fact, do you NOT HARASS ANYONE.
    You only find out when they are making the payment and that's it. If the payment has not been received by the date agreed upon, you make another COURTESY call stating you haven't received the payment and go from there. All this can be done without threatening the buyer or being rude or nasty to them.
    Yes proceedures have to be followed, but personal vendettas, grudges, rudiness, arrogance, and being nasty toward customers is absolutely un called for.

project626 Nov 12, 2010

True, pay your bills on time.
    HOWEVER, if you are late with a bill, does that give a lender the right to be nasty, and rude to you?
    Bottom line
    IT DOESN'T!!!

• Ti
    Tired of CPS Feb 06, 2011

@Dawn in a perfect world people are suppose to pay on time, but things happen and no one has the right to be rude. You must work for CPS

project626 Feb 07, 2011

I believe she does work for CPS, and if so she should be ashamed to be employed by such a rude and falling organization

Resolved Harrassment and involving my children

I'm so glad to be giving back my Vehicle financed with Consumer Portfolio Services. I purchased my vehicle in April 07 @ 16, 851.00 and still owe 12, 200.00. I tryed to trade in vehicle...but owed to much.
These rude and evil people have been harassing me and my children for 3 years. Some Man called our house one time and talk to my 11 year old daughter. He said if he did not talk to me, someone was coming to get her, he was calling CPS (Child Protective Services). I called and complained. Once we were out of town at a Softball Tournament and these folks found out what Hotel we were staying in and said they had some bad news about my oldest Daughter. It was nothing just trying to reach me...oh the embarrassment. They' ve called my co-workers, friends and family on numerous occasions.

Speak to the manager
    Her name is Cindy Springstein
    800-955-4193

Rude

OMG These posers have to be the rudest people on the face of the planet. I am so glad to be rid of them. If someone tells you your car loan is through CPS or Consumer Portfolio Services run the other way. You would be better off on the bus trust me. They are rude, arrogant and think they are better then you if you screw up. These people are probably behind on payments to someone too and forgot what it was like to be harrassed and all hours for payments they know you can't make. Don't get me wrong my payments are my responsibility and I own up to my negligence but they make you feel stupid because you are behind. Well I'm a single mom and not Bill Gates to suck it up buttercup. Again run as far away from this company as you can and don't deal with them they are the worst.

Resolved Harassing phone calls to work and cellphone

I have my car finance through CPS since 2007. Last week I received a call from a lady who worked at Consumer Portfolio Services by the name of Ms. Stanford. She called me at my job and told me that I lied to her about making a payment and needed a payment today. What really struck me weird is that I hadn't spoke to anyone at CPS in over 30 days. After trying to get her composed, she proceeded to hang up in my face and then called my cell. I cannot accept personal calls at work nor answer my cellphone while working. I work at a financial institution and that would be grounds for termination. What further struck me weird is that she got "professional" on the voicemail that she left me on my cellphone. When I took a break to call her back, I requested that she or no other representative of CPS contact me at my work place. Further, I confirmed to her that I had not spoken to anyone to make any promises or arrangements for a payment in over 30 days. Then I shared with her that they would get their payment before the month was out... She said I was playing her like a fool and that they would process the paperwork to pick up my car and hung up in my face. I called back to speak to her supervisor, named Ms. Elba, thinking I would get through to someone with more professionalism and tact...she turned out be just as rude as Ms. Stanford was. Unfortunately, nothing was done and I was treated with additional disrespect and unprofessionalism by Ms. Elba. I tried to contact her supervisor...but whoever answered the phone, said that my account was flagged to be directed to Ms. Elba and no one else.

Today, I received another call at my workplace from Ms. Elba and she started it up again. I reinterated that I cannot received personal phone calls at my job and asked her to stop calling me. She yelled and said "I need my money today!" I hung up. She called back and I said that I would contact the authorities for harrassment if she continued to call me at my job and I hung up again. Then, she called my cellphone and left another nasty message to the affect of "You cannot drive the collatoal for free, ma'am and since you refuse to pay for the collatoral, how about I come to your job and collect my collatoral, now what!"

All in all - I regret the day the dealership approved me for a car through this company. I am currently pressing harassment charges and filing a lawsuit against CPS and specifically these two CPS representatives for distress, harrassment and hardballing their customer.

project626 Sep 24, 2010

She seems to be a VERY helpful person.
    Make sure you explain to her the threatening calls you have been received and give her the names

angels04 Oct 14, 2010

I am so happy to see that I am not the only person experiencing horrible customer service from these people. I don't care if they are providing loans for people with low or bad credit. They are receiving payments. They have no grace period. They are very rude and nasty. I am sure they are breaking all kinds of laws. Where do they come from?

Resolved Not Too Bad So Far

Well let me start off by saying that I recieved my auto loan through another lender that went out of business and Consumer Portfolio Services (CPS) took over their clients. When I recieved notice about the switch I immediately googled CPS to see the company profile and was so surprised by the number of complaints and negative reviews I saw. I immediately labeled them as the type of company that I wanted nothing to deal with but at the same time there was nothing I could do because I like my car and I figured I would just have to stay on top of my payments to prevent any problems with this company.
Well like many sometimes life hits us with the unexpected and I fell behind on a few bills and unfortunately my car note was one of them. I regret having to call CPS and tell them that I would not thave their money but I had no choice so I called. I admit when I called there was a guy that was rude but somehow we got disconnected (I didnt hang up I promise lol) and when I called back I spoke with a woman who to my surprise was very professional and actually worked out a payment arrangement with me. I thought it was too good to be true. To my surprise I never once recieved ANY harassing calls and I made my payments as promised. So I was so surprised about all the complaints I saw but then I realized that this is a company that works with people with poor credit. I can only imagine the ### calls they recieve of people trying not to pay their note and trying to get over. I am not making excuses for this company I just feel that we as people should be more grateful because they did not have to approve us for a loan. We are a risk to their company and we should do our best to pay our car note and try to establish some credit cause obviously our credit sucks because if it didn't we would not have to go through CPS.

• Ar
    ArcaneWing Apr 26, 2011

true,
    I find it curious that people get picked up by these "last resort" insurance companies and then complain when the company calls them to get the loan settled or get the people to pay their loan payments. These companies take a huge risk when they approve these "sub-prime" loans.

not to be mean to anyone, but if these individuals used this time to rebuild their credit, then they could move the loan to a friendlier, more reputable company.

Calls others and gives detail infor about my loan status

They changed my original due from the 13th of the month to the 1st without my permission or request. If my...

Resolved harrassing and rude

I called into CPS to set up a payment arrangement for the following week and the man I spoke with (MIKE) was unreal. He threatened to take my van. He actually yelled at me! I asked to speak to a supervisor and he said no. I, again, told him that I was not going to argue with him and that he made me feel uncomfortable and that I wanted to speak to someone else. He said, "Why, because I won't do what you want me to, still no!" Only after I told him that I was going to start recording the conversation, he finally gave me to someone else. The other gentleman (BRENT)was proffesional and set up the arrangement with no problem. Brent even stated that I had made my payments faithfully for over 2 years with no problem so he didn't understand the problem with being a week late, yes just a week. Brent also told me that he'd have a supervisor call me so I could report how Mike was acting but no one ever called.

project626 Sep 24, 2010

joni.shipers Aug 23, 2011

i had 2 payments put to the end of my loan i just recently paid my car off and now all the sudden i owe late fees on those 2 payments plus interest now they want to come get my car if i cant pay over 1000 dollars right now they are very rude and now i have to get an attorney to fight this repossesion and its not the car i care about i wrecke it 2 years ago and have since gotten a new one but still have the wrecked one as well its just the principle of all of the sudden i owe them more money!

Harassment from CPS

Consumer Portfolio Services Inc financed my husband’s vehicle back in July of 2006. In any event – my husband lost his job two weeks later. Low and behold my husband has been trying to get back on his feet. I informed CPS about our situation – however – they were not interested.. CPS did not assist or work with us in anyway. Therefore - since then - I've been behind on my payments. CPS calls me, my husband, my sister and my job on a daily basis. They went as far as sending a lady (who did not care to leave her name) in a FORD fusion to deliver a letter and to take pictures of my home and my neighbors on Sunday, June 27th 2010 @ 2:30 PM. I have a list on dates and times that CPS has called threatening me and my family. I reached out to an Attorney for advice and they suggested that I get in contact with someone local who can assist me with filing a suit against Consumer Portfolio Services. Please assist me with this issue. I know - I'm behind on my payments - but - when I try to talk to someone @ CPS - they don't want to hear it. They just want to threaten me and my family... PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIATE IN A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST CPS - PLEASE LET US KNOW. MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS: [protected]@gmail.com

Resolved Harassment

I have had a auto loan with CPS since 2005. I signed up for the automatic payment option when I purchased my car. I have been on time with my payments for the last 5 years and am close to paying off my loan. I was recently laid off from my job and applied for unemployment benefits. As most people know this process can take anywhere from 8 to 12 weeks. I called CPS and let them know of my situation and was spoken to rudely and was given no consideration even though I had been a loyal customer who paid their bills on time. I have been HARASSED the last few months with several phone calls a day on my home and cell phone at all hours of the morning and evening. I am only one month behind in payments and agreed to catch up once I received my unemployment check. I have never been treated or spoken to in such an unprofessional manner and on top of that they leave threatening messages like "if we don't hear back from you today i'll have to make a decision on your car". What kinda crap is that? My boyfriend sometimes gets the messages before me and is VERY concerned about who I have my loan with. It is emberassing when they are constantly calling, even though you spoke to someone SEVERAL times! Plus, not only do they call and harass you, they call anyone you have down as a reference! Not sure if these people get a commission or what. I want to switch my loan to someone else immediately! This business should be ashamed of themselves and be closed down by the better business bureau.

• Valerie Dec 02, 2008

I purchased a 06 truck, and I got CPS as my bank. I didn't know who they were at the time, but now I wish I had done some research before I got into my vehicle. For the first couple of months, everything was fine. Made my payments on time, everything was good. I was late for the first time in 8 months do to business being slow, and they called the day after my due date. Now from my experience, if you are are late by one day or so, no one can call and demand you to pay them. Now, it is even worse. I have had the vehicle for 2 1/2 yrs., and they are getting worse. I have been out of work for 8 months now due to a work related injury. And they don't want to hear it. When people go from making X amount of dollars a month to less than half of what they are making, its tough on what has to be paid first. I don't know about everyone else, but keeping a roof over my head is more important.

CPS does not want to hear any excuses. They have no sympathy for anyone. I have been phone call after phone call. Even on Saturdays and Sundays. 3-4 times a day. My wife has had to deal with them for me cause I could not take it anymore. They have called all of friends, my family and my job looking for me. And asking them when am I going to pay.

I have made several attempts to try to stay in their good graces, but it don't matter. I have put myself and my family more and more into debt trying to cover the payments. And now, I have a way that I can do my payments without screwing myself or my bank account, and they don't want to hear it. I was willing to work it out, but they don't seem to care. They want me to pay $1150 now. That is my last payments and my next payment that is due next month. Plus interest and late fees. No one no where can come up with that kind of money. Especially if you have bad credit.

If there is to be a Class Action Suit against CPS, I am in. I am currently looking for a lawyer to discuss my options, and I am also looking for someone else for the loan for my vehicle. Some one that is more reliable and not so cold hearted. Please, please, if you are getting any type of loan, DO NOT go thru CPS. They will harass you to no end.

• Te
    terrycan Dec 09, 2008

Does anybody know if a Class Action Suit has been established? They call my daughter's job about 12 times a day. They call stating that they are from a law firm and have gone to court and filed papers.
    They tell her that they will come to her job to seize the vehicle and if she does not turn over said vehicle that she will be arrested for "bodily posession".

• Mz
    mz cocoa Feb 18, 2009

CPS is very unprofessional due to my mothers illness and my husband losing this job I have been behind on @ payments they call call and call all day its urgent> they called me and told me that if i make a $200 payment all my late fees and late payments will be wiped away. They are just ridiciolous I went to trade my car in and the words of the gentleman at the dealership is that they F&*( you. Your car isn't worth what you were even financed for.

• Oh
    ohiochick7 Aug 24, 2009

I had a loan through this company. I trusted my now ex-boyfriend to make the payments, and he pockted them. No one called me from CPS to let me know I was behind on payments. They called my brother, who was a co-signer on the car. He informed them that I was responsibile for the car, and to call me not him. My brother then called me and gave me the message. I called them, and explained that if something is wrong with the loan, to please call me, so that I'm aware of the message. She sent up an agreement with my brother and he held up his end of the deal. Now she leaves a message on my mom's cell phone and discloses that she is trying to reach my brother and that he hasn't returned her calls, and that is about the settlement. They are trying to back out of the agreement with him. When she calls me she uses a private number, I have told her that unless you call from a number when I can see the number I'm not answering the phone. She calls at least 6 or so times a day. I have proof she disclosed personal infomation to a third party, and that's against the law. I use to work for a collection agency and I know that you can't disclosed any personal information about someone unless the debter gives his/her ok. I was sick a few weeks back and she called me and was very rude, I told her I was sick and I could hardly talk because of the flu and all. I told her that I had a very bad case of the flu along with bronchitis and she continued to talk. I hung up and went back to sleep and she kept calling me. I finally just turned my phone off so I could rest. If you have proof that they are disclosing personal information, talk to an attorney because they aren't allowed to do so. If they make a settlement agreement with you make them fax it over to you so you have it in writting. Keep a record of all the calls and if you can tape all the messages that are left. This company thinks it can do what it wants and they don't care. I threated to go to the media about them.

• Ar
    Area Sick Aug 25, 2009

Wow, you complaint is just complete crap! First: you stated "I trusted my now ex-boyfriend to make the payments" It's your loan, take responsibility. Second: you stated "They called my brother, who was a co-signer on the car. He informed them that I was responsibile for the car" They have every right to call him, he is also signer on the loan. He is responsible as well. You claim they they are trying to back out of a settlement, how? Because they called your brother? He probably didn't make the payment. If he made the arrangement, of course they are going to call him! You have proof they diclosed third party information... what proof? a voice mail about a "settlement"? Please, that is not third party diclosure. I bet you a million dollars you will never have an attorney because your complaint is crap and your trying to get something for nothing. If this compny had any since, they would issue repossession and liquidate the collateral. they have every right because you seem to be in constant defaulgt.

• Ju
    jules82 Nov 23, 2009

I too have had the same exact problem with this company. I have come to the conclusion that this is a govt owned company. Because they break every law that can be broken and they are still in business, it leads me to believe that the govt set up this company to give the poorest of poor and those that struggle the most to pay their debts for whatever reason, a loan to get a car so they can continue to work. A person with a car is much more likely to be responsible then someone who doesn't have a car. If it wasn't a govt owned company there is no way they wouldn't have been sued. I would like to start a civil law suit. I would like to get everyone that has had any kind of bad experience with this company an opportunity to take part in this law suit. If you are interested in moving forward with me, please email me at [email protected] In the subject line please post CPS Car issues. If you would forward me an email with what you have gone thru with this company and any contact info you feel comfortable sharing, I promise you I will do my best to expose these people in our court system. This company went into my daughters checking account a second month in a row, and took payment, even though they were told several times that they could only take one months payment. The lady then said to my daughter we will be taking next months payment as well. My daughter said no, they didn't have her permission to go in there any other time but the payment she was calling for. They went ahead and stole the money out of her account the next month without any kind of contact or permission. I too have suffered all the same phone harassment as well as having all my family members being told that they were coming to repo my car. Again, I will be shopping for an attorney and filing a class action law suit. If the govt is behind this, it needs to be exposed, if this is an American company doing business in America, then they need to abide by the laws in America and calling and threatening and stealing money from our accounts is not the way we do business in a law abiding country. Email me if you are interested in joining this civil lawsuit. [email protected]

Resolved Payment credits

CPS has continuously posted payments to our account AFTER the due date, however each payment was sent AND deducted from my bank account BEFORE the due date. Our last 10 payments are showing late charges incorrectly.
We recently made the last scheduled payment, a total of 48. They are claiming we only made 47, ( the payment history I have that shows 48, and has been looked at by my accountant and my attorney) came from THEIR records!!!

They also double 'autodrafted' my account, which in turn caused not only a negative balance, but bounced a mortgage payment. THEN they charge me an NSF FEE for that check, even though that months payment was made and posted!
SCAMMERS and THIEVES...

I have filed several complaints with the States Attorneys office.

Resolved COMPANY IS A SCAM

I was financed through another Company for my car loan. The finance went bankcrupt, and CPS took over.. I was sent ONE letter informing me of the company change, along with my new account number. I lost all my documents while moving, and tried to contact CPS to get my account number so I could send my payment. I called numerous times, and could not get in contact with any live person. I was always referred to leave a voice message with a return number and my Social security number( which is very unsafe to do). I NEVER received a return call. I received NO aditional bills to make a payment, and no call backs. It has now been four months and still no catact has been successful. Now they are looking for my car for reposession, and have not gotten any advance notice. I am still trying to contact CPS, and still no contact, and no return call. DO NOT GET FINANCED WITH THIS COMPANY IF YOU ARE SEEKING A LOAN FOR A CAR. This is a Dishonest company, avoiding your payments only to repo your car and sell it to collect the dept from the companies they take over. BEWARE if your company has been taken over by CPS. You'll be sure to lose your verhicle.

• Nu
    nucci2010 May 14, 2010

I can actully get though after an hour! to make the phone call, but as people transfer you over and over and over!!! and then when you try to get a code they transfer you to a california # and then they put u on hold, I used to have a different company and CPS toke over, they are the most retarted excuse for a company!!! I just actully spoke with a live rep. and she actully said to me "we got your old companies accts. and are totally sure what to do with them" REALLY!!! F$%^^ get a clue and train all the people that work there or give them to someone else!!!

• Cp
    cpsblowsit Jun 03, 2010

I used CPS to finance my vehicle loan back in 2007. I made perfect payments to them every month and there was no problem, however after 7 months of perfect payments i enlisted into the military and had to leave for Basic training. I called CPS prior to leaving for Basic and explained the situation to them. I made every attempt possible to keep my account current while i would be away, offering to give them bank account and routing numbers for automatic withdrawls, offered to make payments in advance for the next four months while i would be away, and even offered to have my fiance who had power of attourney while i would be gone make payments on my behalf. CPS said none of these would work, that i personally had to call and make the payments by credit card, check by phone or mail a check monthly to them. I explained that i would be at basic training and i would not be able to do any of these options since i would not have access to a phone, my check books or credit cards for those four months. They said that is not their problem, (How patriotic of them to try and work with a soldier who is fighting and giving them the right to run this BS excuse of acompany (i use the term company VERY LOOSELY). so i told them that my only other recourse is to surrender the vehicle, i gave them the address where the vehicle would be, told them insurance and plates would be off the vehicle, and keys would be in the vehicle under the floormat on the driver side. i then left for basic. After four months i came back and the vehicle was gone, i called to confirm they had taken it and thery said they did. then i got a letter form them saying they sold the vehicle for 3500 dollars, A 2004 FORD EXPLORER 4x4 fully loaded with under 50k miles on it, ([censor]S), then further saying i owed them the balance of 12500 dollars that they lost. Well guess what, They arent gonna get it! my contract clearly states that the vehicle was put up as collateral in satisfaction of the debt in the event the loan defaulted, not my fault they sold it for less than a thrid of its worth. ever since they have been reporting the vehicle on my credit as reposessed and that the ACCOUNT IS STILL OPEN AND ACTIVE!?!?!?!?! i have faxed, mailed by certified mail, and called the company informing them of the innaccurate reporting on my credit report, they have not responded, i have disputed it with the credit agencies, and CPS confirms it is correct so it stays on as is. I called the BBB, FTC and STATE AG, and have filed greivances against the company, well see how this plays out. How can a company be allowed to conduct business like this??? and ruin peoples credit with innacurate information, and why is it that we as the consumer cant fight it with the credit bureau, all we can do is dispute it to which the reporting company only has to say yes its correct and it stays on, i have news for the credit bureaus, a company can lie (case and point CPS) just as much as a consumer can, why can a company say yes its correct and it stays on, but i cant say no its wrong and it comes off?!?!?!?!

BTW i was able to acquire the Phone number of the Senior Vice President of Operations at CPS, along with her name, maybe i should give CPS a taste of its own medicine with the harrassing and unpleasant phone calls LMAO

• Me
    MelMill Nov 01, 2010

We have been dealing with a auto finance company for 3 yrs, we ended up voluntary surrendering vehicle due to their constant hounding us, even if one day late they would call every phone we had sometimes 2-3 times daily and even call relatives and friends stating they were "CPS calling" they are consumer portfolio services. We set up arrangements of $50 mth they said it costs US $12 extra for them to process, due each mth on the 15th, they start calling us as early as the 5th of each mth every single day threats if we do not call back and "confirm" payment on the 15th. They call any and every number they have or can come up with. We have even been forced to change all our numbers and instruct family and friends to simply hang up on them!!!

• Re
    ReneeH31 Jan 28, 2011

I live in Ohio and I have been dealing with this company forever. So today I get a call from Tanisha Edwards, make that two calls within 2 minutes both with voicemails stating the same thing I need to call by 2pm today this is my last day to call, blah blah blah. First off I want to say it is illegal for any company to call and leave more than one message a day. As a matter of fact they are not supposed to call you again that day once they leave the message. I was told this by a collector that works for the government collecting student loans so they should know their stuff. I will also state I never return their calls because I have learned it absolutely pointless. They will never work with you no matter what the circumstances are. So the first person I talk to I explain to her I can make the payment on next Friday. Well we cannot accept that was the answer I got. I was then transferred to Ms. Williams. She immediately got an attitude with me. I started off by telling her it was unnecessary to call me 2 times in 2 minutes and leave messages and also told her that this was illegal. She says well I have two numbers for you. I said no the calls and messages were left on the same number. Then she says well that doesn’t matter. She goes on to state so you have been receiving my calls why have you not communicated with the company who finances your car. I then tell her because every time I call no one will work with me I am generally spoken to like I am the [censor] of the earth and have even been asked to pawn things and questions like where is the money we refunded you(they once took two back to back payments out). She then goes on to say well I have excellent customer service and I treat people the way I want to be treated so if you give me attitude I will give you attitude. So I tell her I cannot make a payment until next Friday. She says well you were paid 2 times in January so why have you not paid. I then explained that one check pretty much goes to rent and then on my last check I had an unexpected car repair that took my car payment. Well she says that's not my problem, it's your problem to figure out how to make the payment, you are driving our car for free we don't care about your other bills it is up to you to figure out how you are going to pay us you are two months behind. Every time I tried to say something she cut me off (She has excellent customer service remember) then I tell her well if you can't wait one week you will have to come get the car. She says how much mileage is on it I was like what does that matter? She gave me a big sigh and was like just tell me. I was like I am not in the car so I do not know. Well what condition is it in? I responded good. Where is the vehicle parked? I told her you have my address you figure it out. She then says okay this conversation is over have a good day. So I ask to speak to her supervisor. I then get Cherise (which is probably not a supervisor) I ask her so when are you picking the car up. She says well as of right now it is not out for repossession, when can you pay? So I have to go through all of this for the third time now with the third person. So I tell her I am making a payment next Friday for my December payment. My income tax return will be in right after that and I will make January's payment and then in two more weeks I will pay Feb which would make me current. She then says well your car is three months behind so we cannot make any arrangements with you. I was like I just told you I am willing to give you almost 900 dollars next month to cover the past due months and the current month. She says well you cannot negotiate the terms you are driving our car for free. I cannot tell you when this will go for repossession but I advise you to pay as soon as possible. Can you borrow the money? I say no. Have you tried to borrow the money? I say yes. Can you take out a payday loan? I say no I am not going that route I am not going to take out a payday loan for 300 so I can owe that place 400. Okay well then all I can do is note your account and this conversation is over. Have a good day.. Are you kidding me? I am so sick of this company! I just don't know what to do, you try to talk to them and they are unreasonable you don't talk to them and they get all upset about that. WTF any advice would be great!!