Yahoo / stole my addressees from address book

My email was hacked into and all the addresses in my address book were stolen and this message was sent to each person.How did they get my address? Should I change my address?

Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 04:31:24 -0700
From: ladyclsredhot@yahoo.com
Subject: Urgent please.
To: ladyclsredhot@yahoo.com

Did you get my previous email, I sent you an email some hours ago, I am in a hurry writing this, i had travelled to Nigeria for business purposes, Unfortunately for me all my money was stolen at the hotel where i lodged, I am so confused right now, I dont know what to do or where to go, I didnt bring my phone here, i have access to only emails, please can you send me $2500 today so i can return home, As soon as i get home i would refund it immediately, This are the informations to send it. Patricia Evans, Address/location: 30 cole street, lagos, Nigeria, 23401, use this text question when sedning it: what is my date of birth, text answer:1939 Please as soon as its sent scan and send me the receipt of the transfer or just write out the money transfer no and the senders informations, i really dont have much time to write much now, would be waiting, thank you. Patricia

Comments

25th of Oct, 2008

On Oct 24, 2008 all of my contacts in my Yahoo address book were stolen and mass emailed with and email heading of New shopping new life leading to a website of www.szfac.com. I now have an empty mail box and a lot less confidence in email security. So I agree with this person that this is happening to other people and is a major problem for internet companies.
    case #8096371

• Ap
      28th of Oct, 2008

This happened to me on Oct 28, 2008. My address book is deleted and a spam email was sent to everyone!

• Ri
      1st of Nov, 2008

hello sir,

How are you and happy new year well i have complaint for yahoo mail..now day yahoo i face lot problem in yahoo mail .. i do not understand that how can i send my mail by my account please help me out becuase i am seek of it.

• El
      3rd of Nov, 2008

My yahoo account sent email "New Shopping New Life" to every contact in my account. My friends were asking what I am sending to them. The worse thing is I lost more than 1500 contacts. They disappeared!

The good thing is in last summer I did back up of my contacts of Yahoo by exporting them to a CSV document. I found back some of my 1500 contacts, but the newest ones are lost.

This kind of thing can happen everyday. Please change password often, neven share your password with anybody. Do back up for your email or contacts. You don't know what will happen one day!

• Wi
      4th of Nov, 2008

I had the same thing happen - a junk email was sent to everyone in my Yahoo contacts and then all my contacts were deleted. Luckily I went into the Trash under Contacts and all my contacts were in there, so I was able to restore them. I believe if I hadn't caught it quickly they might have been permanently deleted. I wouldn't have known the email was sent if I hadn't gotten some undeliverable messages. There was no evidence of the sent email in any folder (Sent Items or Trash). I'm thinking it wasn't hacking but that I clicked on a link in a junk email I shouldn't have. I get alot of junk and once in a while I'll click on something before realizing I shouldn't.

• Ro
      10th of Nov, 2008

This also happened to me today. I wasn't able to retrieve my contacts from the trash, however. :-(

Does anyone know what can be done about it? Should I be closing this account and opening a new one? Or changing the password?

16th of Nov, 2008

My yahoo account just sent out the same "new shopping new life" spam this morning at 3:42 am local time.

My contacts were gone as well. In the "new" mode of yahoo email I could not find any contacts. I switched back to the old style, went to contacts, went to the "accidentally deleted contacts" and was able to restore the ones I wanted to keep.

The website szfac.com is in China. The email was sent from (probably spoofed) 123.11.64.248 (Australia). I'm in the U.S. and was most certainly not up and sending emails at 0342 local time.

I forwarded the email to abuse@yahoo and asked for any info they may have. If they just "hacked" into my account with my password, I'm semi-surprised they didn't change the password while they were there...

• Br
      23rd of Nov, 2008

2 days ago someone stole my ID.. brian27052002@yahoo.co.in and I had sent a complaint but have recd No Replies. That person is Using My ID to send mails to My Contacts and asking for 3000$ staing that I am stranded in Nigeria.
    I had Blocked a sudden intruder 2 days ago and sent that happening also to you. Can You take ACTION .

• Zo
      24th of Nov, 2008

This is a known issue to many users of Yahoo mail yet strangely enough Yahoo doesn't seem to be taking any proactive action to resolve this and fix it. Search on tvtcn yahoo and you'll find multiple postings.

Clearly it's not just a small isolated issue. If anyone from Yahoo sees this, you need to do something about it asap.

24th of Nov, 2008

I had this same thing happen to me. I reported it to Yahoo, I hope they send a reply with comments ...

• Mo
      20th of Apr, 2009

I just had the same thing happen to me yesterday. A "new shopping new life" spam email was sent in 4 separate emails to my entire database a little after midnight while I wasn't on. They were sent over a 2 minute period of time. I caught it when I got some kickbacks. When I tried to send everyone an email to explain, Yahoo would not allow me to send but one of the emails per hour. (exceeded limit). Now all of my contacts have disappeared and they're not in the trash. They are all on those sent messages however. Is there an easy way to add them to my contacts without actually sending an email?
    I changed my password. How did they do this??

• Ya
      17th of May, 2009

This happened to me on 2 times. My address book was deleted and a spam email was sent to everyone!...don't know what exactly is causing it...but i m concerned about it...if anybody can help/advise...

• Kh
      4th of Oct, 2009

dear sir,
    I cannot cheak my mails, though my accout opens but cannot see mails from last three days, please urgently resolve the problem under intimation to me at deepsinc@hotmail.com

my current yahoo id is : deepsinc@yahoo.com

thanks n reagrds
    khatwani fateh chand

26th of Oct, 2009

This is a recurring problem with Yahoo and Yahoo is'nt taking the problem seriously.
    I have had my address book hacked twice with junk mail sent to everyone in my address book.
    Fortunately my address book was'nt deleted. So I exported it to an Excel fie and deleted my address book online.
    I now have my address book on my computer and there is nothing in my online address book.
    So if it happens again there are no addresses to sent spam to,
    When this happened to me I received an email that was sent into my inbox that I believe had a worm that copies all addresses in the online address book and resends this to everyone in the address book. Having an empty online address book means that if this happenes again there will be no addresses to spam to. When the email was sent I did not download or access it and only heard about it from a phone call from a friend that he had received spam from me. When I logged in and found the email the damage had been done and it was Yahoo security that had been breached I wish Yahoo would acknowledge this as a problem with their secuirty and act instead of blaming the users for their lack of security. I am now going to switch to Gmail instead as that seems more secure than Yahoo even though my yahoo account is almost 12 years old. I am very dissapointed with the response that I received from Yahoo. My feeling is that this will be a recurring problem with Yahoo and advise Yahoo email users to vote with their feet to make Yahoo realise that they cannot fob us off as thas being our problem.

• Ha
      11th of Feb, 2010

I had Yahoo address book stolen on Feb. 05, 2010, and one spam letter sent to all contacts, including our Windows Live addy, which is how I discovered the theft.
    Promptly sent warning to all in that book & changed Yahoo password.
    Contacted Yahoo & got prompt reply, they will try to recover address book, but not sure if it's a good idea, may be infected?
    Have a copy on file anyway, also have had very little spam since then. Don't use this account much for outgo, just receiving stuff, so we'll leave it as is for a while. Had this account for over ten years with a too easy password, first time any problems, still don't know how it was hacked though, possibly Facebook..---------Harv

• Ap
      21st of May, 2011

A WARNING ABOUT THE
    YAHOO! WEB SERVICE:

To my shock (and my horror)
    I have discovered both that
    and why YAHOO! actually has
    THE absolute WORST customer
    service rating IN THE WORLD !!!

Everyone is strongly advised
    to NOT ever use YAHOO! MAIL
    or YAHOO! GROUPS or even
    the YAHOO! CAREER services
    or products -- as the Yahoo!
    company absolutely refuses
    to make any effort to keep,
    remotely protect or be able
    to retrieve any of the private
    security-information that it
    DEMANDS from it’s customers.

Some people are also speculating
    that Yahoo! does NOT actually
    even have a REAL office of
    customer service/support.

The rating below shows
    exactly how THE WORLD
    FEELS about crappy Yahoo!

Yahoo: Customer Service
    Ratings and Comments

Yahoo is ranked
    #343 out of the 410
    companies that have a
    CustomerServiceScoreboard DOT com
    rating --- with an overall score
    of 24.83 (out of a possible 200).

This score rates Yahoo
    customer service and
    customer support as Terrible.

www DOT customerservicescoreboard DOT com/Yahoo

Largely due to it’s lousy
    Customer Service the
    then also be gone.

ADDED NOTE:
    In 2011 it was reported
    that Yahoo! Inc is now
    worth less than half the
    amount that was offered
    the last time a company
    thought of buying it.

(SOURCE: ^
    news DOT searchofficespace DOT com/sos-news/microsoft-buys-skype-for-8-5-billion DOT html)