XM radio / Billed for services which never received!

I, like others, have had the same story. When I called to cancel my service I was informed there was no problem. Immediately the radio stopped receiving service. I was unfortunately billed for an entire year before I caught the charge on my credit card statement after the cancellation. I have worked through their support personnel and their executive escalation points to very poor service and basically being told that they had my money and there was nothing they could do.

This is a company that cannot be trusted. The executive escalation number is [protected] although you probably will have about as much luck as I did.

Also do not expect calls back from support personal. This is a problem that I had ongoing for over a month with no resolution. Tickets [protected] and [protected] reference my troubles within the company.

N  2nd of Jul, 2007 by

XM Radio - Anti trust or anti lemon law

To Whom It May Concern:

I singed up for xm radio about 3 months ago and signed for a every 3 months plan. Im on financial diet and cancelled all of my credit cards. So the credit card they tried to bill did not work. This is the beginning of my 4th month and I asked them how much will it cost me if I cancel right now. They said $38.85, I asked if I could switch to month to month so I will keep my subscription for a month then cancel it. They said I cannot do date because the beginning of the first month of the 3month plan started already. So I cannot switch to month to month and If I forget to cancel on the exact date. Its better luck again next 3 months hoping I wont forget to cancel it on the right date. Please help me, are they breaking any law with this. Something anti trust or anti lemon law. Please help me.

Sincerely Yours,
Enrique Gonzales
A  7th of Sep, 2007 by
Two years ago I signed up for a 1 year subscription and paid for the subscription in full. Just prior to the end of that year I was activated and had to head to Iraq. I called XM radio and told them I would not be renewing because I was not going to be able to use the radio. When I returned home I called XM radio to re-activate my radio. I was informed that I had to pay a 26.60 dollars fee for two moths of service for not canceling my contract. I tried to explain I did not have contract and I paid for my service up front and I called before I was activated to advise them I would not be renewing at this time. I was told there was no record of my call and I would have to pay for the two months I did not use before I could re-activate my radio. I later found out they sent my name to a collections agency and tried to say I did not pay for services. I called the customer service department and they said there was nothing they can do unless I pay the bill for services I never received. What a joke and they succeeded in losing me as a customer and I have since had several friends leave them also. Stay away form this company there is countless stories of activity just like this all over the web. It is extortion and how they plan on keeping customer is beyond me.
A  24th of Sep, 2007 by
I have owned my new car for 1 year. I found the free trial of XM radio worth renewing - and from the start I've had "account billing" issues. I get billed when I've already paid (and on time, I think that they think there are 5 or 6 quarters in a yearly billing cycle) But the latest issue is worse.

On Sept. 12, 2007, I was away from home when a call was logged on my caller ID. When I returned the call, the number was identified as being the COLLECTIONS DEPARTMENT at Xm Radio(1-800-335-6800). I held and got an agent. After going all through my account information, I was told the account was current and I should not have been called. Two days later (9-14-2007) I was called again and answered the phone. The person identified themselves as being from Xm Collections and started a litany about the account being over-due, blah, blah, blah! I interrupted and said that there had been a call 2 days earlier and that I had spoken with "collections" and been assured that the account was fine. The person then said, let me look . . . , "oh, yes I see that" but the reason for the call is that you were late in your payment - I said "no, I wasn't, the payment was made in August, then the guy said, "let me look, (short passage of time) "oh yes I see that" but we're calling because you only paid for 3 months and the account is a 6 month account", " I said NO the account is on a 3 month cycle and has always been 3 months and I paid 3 months ON TIME" Then he apologized and hung up. (Did you notice that the stated "reason" for the call changed 4 times!?) I went to a phone in the house with caller ID and noticed that the 1st and 2nd calling numbers were different - the second (202-380-1294) was NOT identified as an Xm corporation number when I looked it up. So I called Xm back and made a FRAUD complaint, going through all of the BS AGAIN! I got a call reference number and was told I'd get a call back in 72 hours. Today is 9-24 (10 days) and I decided to follow-up. After speaking to two others I got a supervisor who looked at my account inside and out and assured me that the account is fine and that THERE WAS NO RECORD on their call logs of ANY calls being having even been made to me. I said that I KNEW THAT the account was current! My concern was/is that it's OBVIOUS someone was making unauthorized billing calls and since the first call was from a corporate phone either someone who worked for them had made it or else someone had somehow tapped into their lines. And that the second call came from a number identified to be in the private sector - that means SOMEONE has access to their account information and is trying to get fraudulent payments - if they're doing it to me they're doing it to others. Xm doesn't seem concerned about their accounts being secure.
N  24th of Oct, 2007 by

XM Radio - Receiver Scam

I had used the XM-Radio service for several years and had been satisfied. While on hold waiting to update my credit card info, I was intrigued by an advertisement for a receiver. Seeing as mine was old, I spoke to the operator about it. Based on the ad and what the operator told me about the product, I ordered it. When I received it, it was not as described. Furthermore, on the receipt it said returns were not accepted. That was never explained to me. I tried to return it anyway but XM Radio refused to stand behind their product. They said all sales were final. Yet again, they did not say that when they got me to order it. Disillusioned and in disgust, I then tried to cancel the service entirely and they became very nasty and said they would charge me an early termination fee. I said how as I was on a month-to-month plan! However another thing they didn’t tell me was that when they sent me the receiver, they put me into a year contract! I did not agree to that. I did not authorize that! The operator stated they would put these charges on my credit card. Isn’t this fraud? In the end, I have waited so much of my time with them and reading what is out there on the web makes me very skeptical that I’ll have a pleasant resolution. I only wish I had checked out XM-Radio sooner!
N  13th of Nov, 2007 by

XM Radio - Charged me $610 for three months

I work for a chevrolet dealership as a finance manager. I bought a tahoe with xm radio. I subscribed on line for three months of service, $38.00 and 14.99 activation fee. I looked at my bank account 2 days later, they charged me $610.00 for a 5 year plan. I called them to correct the problem. They said i signed up for five years and that it was my fault. I told them i needed the money refunded. They said it could take 5 days to give it back. They are located in the carabeans.
They gave me a phone number in washington dc. Not much help. They cancelled my account with xm in three minutes. I work for general motors. Em radio is a rip off. Dont give them a credit card. Your asking for trouble. They are scam artist. Cheats. Some one needs to do something about it. If you cant walk into a store and speak with someone. Dont buy xm radio.
A  2nd of Dec, 2007 by
xm Radio is negligent in their customer service department. I could go into the whole story but suffice it to say they are a company that should be sued into oblivion. The compaints I read here are an accurate portal of there standard business practices. STAY AWAY FROM xm radio.
N  14th of Feb, 2008 by

XM Radio - XM commits fraud!
XM Radio

Over the Christmas holidays I had to call XM to switch out a radio id. I lost a radio, bought another, and just switched the id’s. The operator asked me if I would be interested in purchasing their “special” deal on Sportcasters, which included 3-month service. I told her “NO WAY! I have to many radios as it is.” This operator decided that she would bump up her Christmas bonus and sent me 4 RADIOS!!! Then FRAUDULENTLY charged my credit card for all 4!! I called XM and told them the situation. They told me I shouldn’t have signed for the radios. I explained to them that they were left on my doorstep and signing wasn’t an option. After hours of phone calls and being hung up on numerous times. I was finally told to send them back for a refund. UPS picked them up from my house and sent them back to the shop. Think my nightmare is over... not so fast!!! The shop not only didn’t refund me for the 4 radios. They sent me 4 new radios to replace them!!! And yes they added them to my account so I had to go through the process all over again of getting them removed!!! I was actually told that this time they would have to charge me a deactivation fee for the radios I didn’t order. Yes a supervisor also told me that. I called back and talked to another supervisor who was apologetic and told me that he would make sure I was issued a refund. No I am not holding my breath. And no I still haven’t got it. Oh and Shop XM still hasn’t sent UPS to pick up the four new radios from my house. I am considering lawsuit action and pushing a criminal investigation into XM. They fraudulently charged my credit card unauthorized and will not take it off!!
A  15th of Feb, 2008 by
Horrible, Horrible, Horrible!! and what a rip off! damn
thing doesn't even get good reception. I have had the worst experience
with XM. I could write a book about my experience with them but I refuse
to waste anymore of my precious time with them. By far the most
unprofessional company I ever dealt with. I have been overcharged various
times and everytime I call customer service they tell me "it's been
fixed" only to have it happen again the following month OR the charges
still remain. I have called at least 20 times and to no dismay. Transfer
after transfer, manager after manager...nothing. They are true idiots
over there. I will never do business with them again and I will tell
everyone I know not to either. Hundreds of dollars just wasted....
Damage Resulting = hours of time dealing with them over the phone and
at least a couple of hundred dollars just wasted
A  20th of Feb, 2008 by
We cancelled all our radios in Sept/Oct 2007. We should not owe any money. We are still getting charged 30 plus dollars. They sent this to a collections agency, and they keep calling here, and are very rude. I am not accustomed to such things. We called XM, to no avail. What else can I do?
A  21st of Feb, 2008 by
I get calls from the collections department at XM radio (1-800-335-6800) 3 times per day from callers asking for a person who used to have my phone number. I've explained this to them about a dozen times, and each time, I am assured that they will "check into it" and remove my number. They don't. Sometimes they call and just hang up. Very annoying!!! I've never even heard of this company until now and will never consider becoming a customer.
A  16th of Jul, 2008 by
I found this post by searching for other complaints on the web.

Apparently I had a 24.90 charge floating around in XM after my account had been closed and it was sent to collections. I was told today that there should have been no way that I could have accessed my account online after a year and because of the delinquent balance. I paid the charge through THEIR website via my account login. Minutes later the charge appears in my online banking. I call them up and tell them that I made that payment and proceed to get a ### customer service lady who tells me it impossible that I logged in, that I made a payment, or that I received a confirmation number via e-mail. I went round and round with her for a good ten minutes on that point alone. I grabbed the confirmation number, read it to her, and told her to tell me if that was just a fictitious number sent out by an e-mail that didn't exist. She put me on hold for five minutes and came back a totally different rep. Polite, courteous, and apologetic. Where do they get off acting like a bunch snarky two year old idiots when I am holding the money? THE worst customer service I have ever encountered, and certainly the most unprofessional as well.

As long as they are sucking money out of your account, they will be your best friend. Present them with a problem on their end and they will treat you like a ###. The only good thing about the call? It wasn't someone with an fake American name speaking in poor English. Leave that to Dell and HP where you spend hours on the phone repeating yourself because that phrase isn't in their English for Dummies manual.
N  22nd of Aug, 2008 by

XM Radio - harrassing phone calls

I purchased a new car in which XM was offered for 90 days. I wish I'd had it yanked out of my car. Once the free 90 day sample was over, they called me almost daily. My phone rang in the morning and woke us up day after day. It rang and interrupted other phone calls and activities. I won't ever purchase this service because I do not want the harrassment when and if I have to cancel.

Be wise, don't ever let them have your phone number.
N  28th of Aug, 2008 by
your out of luck... i am an xm rep heres the cust agreement

This agreement provides that all disputes between you and XM will be resolved by BINDING ARBITRATION.

You thus GIVE UP

YOUR RIGHT TO GO TO COURT to assert or defend your rights under this contract (EXCEPT for matters that may be taken to SMALL CLAIMS COURT).

*Your rights will be determined by a NEUTRAL ARBITRATOR and NOT a judge or jury.

*You are entitled to a FAIR HEARING, BUT the arbitration procedures are SIMPLER AND MORE LIMITED THAN RULES APPLICABLE IN COURT.

*Arbitrator decisions are as enforceable as any court order and are subject to VERY LIMITED REVIEW BY A COURT.

See Section 11 above.
N  28th of Aug, 2008 by
oh listen ### all you need to do is call xm and just ask they remove you from the calling list duh common sense
N  28th of Aug, 2008 by
you mean dont buy a GM from you. bcuz all you dealers i think sell more dope to put in these cust heads than actually selling them a car. you guys have no sense on crap and you lie to them by telling them that you will swap service over create free trial account for them when they already have an account with us so they are charged on two account bcuz of you idiots.
N  28th of Aug, 2008 by
Yeah I gotta agree with david just because your too stupid to keep track of what you set your service to which you admitted yourself you activated online not through us. Not only that but your getting a savings of 23% on a 5 year plan. And yes we have locations in the Caribean but we also have 8 call centers in the states. Not only that but your darling company GM is going straight down the craper for the same reasons your complaining about us. Your company is one of the #1 abusers of cheap foreign labor and as a result is on the verge of economic collapse. Why don't you try calling GM's 1-800 number and see who answers the phone?
N  28th of Aug, 2008 by
lol hey ### you gave the wrong copr number lol you pathetic. next if your radio dont work it may be defective or you may need a signal refresh out to your radio. but if you are not smart or have any idea about tech then just go to Sirius they will take every penny from you. XM does not refund ###s
A  28th of Aug, 2008 by
I'm a xm customer service rep and I can tell you whoever you spoke with is incorrect you can change your billing cycle at any time and are just required to pay for the service you recieved up to the time of the billing cycle change and then the next cycle of service. When you cancel you are only required to pay for the service you recieved as we bill in advance no cancelation fee applies. You also can set a future deactivation date to cancel your service once the service you paid for runs out. It's unfortunate but not everyone who works for xm does their job or maybe you just spoke with a new employee whatever the case the info you received is not correct. Right now however we do require that you have a credit or debit card on file for automatic billing for anything under a year of service. Hope this helps.
A  12th of Nov, 2008 by
Seems like a pattern here. In NH we have a law against unfair and deceptiver trade practices. I am calling the Attorney General about this company. Here is my story.

In July I called XM to renew my service. When I found out that they were no longer offering discounted yearly contracts, I told the Customer Service Representative that I was not going to renew my service. Four months later I receive a bill for three months of service. I called and they had a record of my call back in July but no one had bothered to cancel my service.

I was bounced from representative to representative for over an hour. Finally I get to Courtney who says their records only indicated that I had called in July and wanted the same rate as last year but there was no record of a cancellation of service. The fact that the representative did not follow through is not my problem. I thought they would get it when they saw that I had in fact called and they had a note that I wanted the same rate but never renewed that I was probably telling the truth. Not so. Courtney says that in August when I got the bill I should have called and because I didn't it was now my problem. They would do nothing to correct THIER ERROR!!! Beware of this business. I would not trust them with my financial information, particularly automated or direct withdrawals. They have the nerve to call their customer service "listenercare." It really should be called "littledowecare."
N  8th of Dec, 2008 by

XM Radio - billing for service cancelled
XM Radio

Forced to pay for radio service for car that I have not had in close to 2 years. Only reason I paid was to protect my credit rating which is close to 800. This has now happened two times. After several faxes, emails, and more then 20 calls over the last couple of months choose to just pay these invoices ($40.85) and ($38.85) because my time is worth something. They make it extremely difficult to cancel sending me to several reps and putting you on hold a long time. Tonight it took (3) calls with 5 diff. people for 37 min. The other day it took (4) calls, 4 people and over one hour.

How do they get away with this? They will never let u speak to a supervisor and when they request you to fax your complaints they do not reply.

Someone should force them to answer customers complaints and allow consumers to speak to supervisors or managers to resolve problems. Consumers should not have to pay for service not rendered because XM Radio does not have a date when I called in to cancel service.

I rather not have Sat. Radio then to deal with XM Radio ever again. I will never to business with them, they are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Sirius XM Radio Logo Sirius XM Radio