Webroot Antivirus With Anti Spywarewebroot renewal quarantine blackmail

W Review updated:

I bought a version of webroot and have renewed upgraded since at least 2006.

May 21, 2010 I turned off autorenew - I dont like the concept and my credit card is not active.

Well today WEBROOT fails me. Despite having paid $120-$150 for this product. I get a rogue advertising spyware - infects my system tray. looks bad, worse than it really is I think, disables my other virus detection programs and shuts down my ports... great.

I run webroot - it finds the suspect but will not remove / quarantine... tells me I must have an active subscription to quarantine!!!... It seems to me I have paid for this product 3+ times over... and now a few days after I dont auto renew it is unusable and (and WILL NOT PROTECT me from what I have paid for?) Is this right?

I can understand not being able to get latest updates(which just slow my computer down), or newest virus lists but to allow me to get a virus / spyware that is a slap in the face and fraudulent. It says all the time you are protected from 1million virus definitions but apparently not really.

- Anyone had a similar experience?

Webroot if you are reading - I was hoping to renew but not for $59+ (as a loyal customer penalty) when I see coupon codes for $19 - $29? why the renewal penalty?. http://www.offers.com/webroot/ I believe I am done with your products - my email is [protected]@yahoo.com.

Webroot Antivirus With Anti Spyware

downloaded product )amount 69-95gbp.taken from my account
    a total of 130gbp, no reimbursment or apoligy when contacted
    this company is a scam

•   Jun 04, 2010

I’m with Webroot and am sorry to hear that this happened to you. I’d like to help you get this issue resolved. I've asked Michael with our customer support team to contact you to help you resolve this issue. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• F
      Jun 18, 2010
    Webroot Security Essesntials - Software is flawed
    Webroot

In August of 2009 I purchased Webroot Security Essentials for a period of three years. Two months ago this software failed me and allowed Security Tool to infect my computer and essentially shut it down. I lost files, suffered a lot of inconvenience and had to pay someone to get rid of this virus for me.

Today I decided to approach the company for a refund of the unused portion of the three years. Guess what? No luck. I was told that had I called within 30, maybe 60 days that they would have done a refund. So with that kind of corporate policy they only guaranty their software for 60 days. After that you are on your own.

So why pay these people money to NOT PROTECT your computer
    when equal or better software is available?

• N
      Jun 21, 2010

Same here. Inexcusable, because this has never happened to me before either (active subscriber since 2007--Last upgrade I actually added the Virus Protection as well, and this is how I am rewarded), and now Webroot is turning into the very thing it is supposed to protect. It was never like this previously, and I agree that while new updates/patches should be turned off until active subscription is bought, you as a company cannot justify the change in policy that I cannot quarantine using existing definitions anymore. Webroot: are you turning into a quasi-ransomware company yourself?!?! Horrible business practice, because you have now turned away another paying customer as well. Instead of allowing me to take my time to renew, you have done two things in 2010 that have really ticked me off (and have potentially lost me as a long-time customer), and I am on the verge of going to one of your competitors because:
    1) You had my credit card information, and I had to opt-out from an an auto-renewal (something that didn't exist before)--see attached image of an email message
    2) You are now holding my system "hostage" to protect it. If I don't pay up, you don't even protect using my last update. When did this change?!--see attached image of a recent sweep

•   Jul 12, 2010

NJP_MD - As far as the auto-renewal feature goes this service has been around for a while and is designed to protect your computer in the event that you forget to renew the subscription. In the email with your receipt, it talked about the auto-renewal and gave you the option to opt out. We also send an email 30 days prior to the renewal letting you know that it is going to renew. Sorry that you don’t approve of the auto-renewal, but it sounds like you were able to disable it. The policy of not allowing removal of scanned items once the subscription is expired has also been long standing. While it is a good idea to remove the old viruses from when the software was last active, by letting it expire, you are stating that you no longer need our services, so we won’t provide them, even for old virses that one may receive. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and I'd be happy to talk to you about it further. If you have any more questions don't hesitate to email us at [protected]@webroot.com.

• N
      Jul 31, 2010

Custserv,

You are correct, I was able to opt out of the auto renewal. I will refute your claims of "been around for a while" and "been longstanding" the best I can.

1) Your claim that the "policy of not allowing removal of scanned items once the subscription is expired has been long standing:" is not true at all (unless longstanding refers to said policy's implementation in the last year). I did not take any screenshots of quarantine button being highlighted along with the notice that the subscription has expired from last year's renewal (I could not have seen into the future and forecast that Webroot will not allow for quarantining expired accounts). However, the fact that both the original complaint here and myself (along with I am sure many other customers) were annoyed with the "qurantine requires subscription" proves the fact that at one point, your long paying customers were used to the fact that quarantining was allowed with expired accounts. Why else would we be startled/annoyed by a policy that you have had that is "long standing" if that is the case?

2) While the auto-renewal service may have been around for a while, I never had to opt out of an automatic renewal. Even though I do not have any screenshots for 1) above, I have all the emails that webroot ever sent me, and here is a sample from a July 2008 email (the subscription expired in a "few weeks"---notice that nowhere is there a mention of auto-renewal, contrary to what you are saying---so I am not sure of what your assertion "been around for a while" is referring to):

Your Webroot Spy Sweeper subscription expires in three weeks.

Your protection against spyware threats is our number one concern.

Right now, we've got you covered. But in a few weeks, your subscription to Webroot Spy Sweeper runs out and you'll lose all the valuable protection Webroot Spy Sweeper provides.

Renew Webroot Spy Sweeper now to ensure protection against hundreds of new threats each week.

Plus, if you renew now, not only will you get a discount, but we'll also upgrade your subscription to Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware & Firewall ($39.95 value) at no additional cost!
    When you renew and upgrade to Webroot AntiVirus with AntiSpyware & Firewall, you get:

* Award-winning antivirus technology powered by Sophos with 39 VB100 certifications
    * Powered by award-winning Webroot Spy Sweeper - the same great antispyware protection you already have
    * Robust, intelligent "learning" firewall to protect against hackers and data theft
    * Effective, easy-to-use protection from the most dangerous Internet threats

Lancaster,ca. 93534
    California
    Phone: 661/945-7820
    [protected]@verizon.net

webroot was the cause of a very difficult malware infection on my computer, , it cost a lot of money to rid of the infection..webroot had to be remove off my computer..the renewal letter dates 07/15/2010, so i have no invoice #to file a complaint w/the company...please respond

• P
      Nov 23, 2010
    Webroot.com - Two thumbs down for their customer service and product
    Webroot.com
    webroot.com

I tried Webroot AV for about a year and found the product to invasive, required too much baby sitting. The annual anniversary of my Webroot purchase just came around. They have RECURRING BILLING, and want me to re-up. I have the right, of course, to 'opt-out', just click here.

Well it seems that to avoid the recurring billing and leave Webroot, one must provide the registration code they initially used to UNLOCK the product. Is that great or what? What customer service. Great e-commerce.

If you had/have webroot AV, keep that license code handy. Thumbs down, .

•   Nov 29, 2010

Hello, you are able to access the original keycode through the Webroot interface. Depending on which version you are using here are the two ways to find it. In 6.1, open the software, look on right side, click on "about my subscription". In 7.0, open webroot, click on "my account" at the bottom and the keycode will be there. Please let me know if you have any other questions. [protected]@webroot.com

• M
      Feb 20, 2011
    Webroot/computor Antivirus Software - poor product/no refund
    Kenosha
    Wisconsin

After purchasing Webroot antivirus software I tried to install this on my computor using the instructions provided by Webroot and my monitor went completely black. I then followed the 30 day money back guarantee instructions to return this software. I received nothing from Webroot and am out $40 +shipping. This is just a another big consumer rip-off.

• S
      Mar 25, 2011

I am amused at the responses by Customer Service and that they don't/wont answer you here but say that they will have Michael contact you !! Is this the same Michael who responds on Twitter and Face Book?
    My suggestion is that everyone talk to Webroot with their wallet and stop buying their product which is mediocre at best for protection. Forums like this to alert others to this despicable bunch are very helpful

• F
      May 18, 2011
    Webroot Software - product will not work, no help available
    Webroot

I had Webroot for several years. they went through a transition. I had to buy a new package (which I was ok with) - I choose the 3 yr package. once installed the key they sent me did not work, and no storage appeared for me to back up to. I called for support, was told in three different calls they would transfer me totech support, wherein a autoanswer told me it would be an hour or more for install help. I called back the 1-866 number, asked for supervisor, got transfered to the "wait an hour" recording again. So I bought something that does not work, and the only way I can get help under reasonable timeframs is to pay additional fee. this is a rip off.

• J
      Feb 07, 2012

I agree. A lawsuit should be brought against Webroot for their fraudulent practices. The anti-virus definitions were clearly purchases in prior subscription renews. Therefore your computer should still be protected from viruses by these definitions. Webroot should not be able to disable your protection from virsus definitions you have already purchases. Let me know if anyone is interested in bringing a lawsuit.

• U
      Mar 03, 2012

I got Webroot Antivirus and Spysweeper a few months ago and nothing but trouble. At least twice a day I get a pop up window saying I can upgrade free, all I have to do is sign a new agreement and acceptance. I don’t have time to read this, but if I click NO, I then get disconnected from Internet Explorer and it takes 20 minutes to close all programs and restart computer. TWICE A DAY! I’ve gone to Webroot help but no information how to stop this. It is the most intrusive antivirus I’ve ever had. I’m switching to something that works quietly in the background and doesn’t screw up my whole day trying to sell me its products. I do not want a free upgrade, Webroot, how can I get through to you to stop this?

•   Mar 08, 2012

Hi @JimAF
    This is Greg from Webroot responding to your post. Since there are thousands of new threats that appear on the Internet every day, we use a subscription model that is designed to keep users protected with up-to date security. If we did not provide up-to date security using the subscription model, our products would not be effective and would leave you unprotected. In order to stay protected against the latest threats we offer multiple year subscriptions so that you do not have to worry about them expiring. We also send out email communications prior to your expiration date to alert you.

• T
      Jul 03, 2012

Ive bought Webroot Twice, Once for for just one computer, the the last one i bought was the 3 pack from best buy, i have an active subscription, ive sent the log files to webroot through there stupid connection in there program, it will not delete the quarantine list, my computer is infected and im sure as hell not happy with WEBROOT, why pay for something if it doesnt work like it is supposed to, so if anybody at WEBROOT would actually like to helpme with my computer issue feel free to contact me at my email address, [protected]@hotmail.com thank you, , and im still pissed off...plus my mouse icon likes to jump off screen for no damn reason while your trying to do something.

•   Jul 05, 2012

Hello timadams406,

This is Greg from the Webroot Support Team reaching out to you to see if I can help you out.

When you submit a Support Ticket from within SecureAnywhere you will receive a response within 72 hours of submission, but usually sooner. When SecureAnywhere detects an infection it will notify you of the infection(s) found and then scan and attempt to remove the infection. If the infected files are possibly System files or other important files it then moves them to Quarantine where they can not harm or compromise any other file and you therefore do not need to "delete" the files. I will send you an email with my contact information. You may also want to call our Technical Support department at [protected] from 7 AM to 6 PM M-F Mountain Time. Technical Support, including threat removal is free with your subscription.

• M
      Aug 10, 2012

I bought a computer in 2005 and placed web root on it. Stopped using the computer in 2007 due to electrical problems and now realize that we have been charged $43 each year for seven years. I noticed the charge this week and web root said they will only refund this years charge. Unbelievable!!!

•   Aug 16, 2012

Hi mystrab,

This is Greg from the Webroot Support Team reaching out to you to see if I can help you out further. I apologize that you had an issue with your subscription being renewed and I want to do some research on your account to see what happened and how I can help.

If you can please send me your Name, Phone # and Email address I will promptly escalate your case to the highest priority and get back to you quickly. Please send your contact information directly to me at "[protected]@webroot.com"

Webroot Support Team

• A
      Oct 11, 2015

Webroot has locked my computer until I buy from them. Best buy and webroot have a scam going. I asked webroot to remove their stuff from my 8 year old laptop. They refused and told me they hope I sue them. My computer is worth 100 bucks and they want 250 and 20 a month to "fix it" it is complete bullcrap. I am going to pursue a lawsuit. Contact me if anyone else has this issue and would like to shut this scam down. [protected]@gmail.com