Vonage / billing

MO, United States
I signed up for vontage in Jan 08 and upon receiving my equipment found out that they could not use my phone number that i presently have. THey advertise that when signing up you can keep your own phone number, not the truth. I sent the equipment back in Feb, 08. Sent several emails requesting they process my cancellation, called and sent letters. They have continually taken $34.00 out of my checking monthly, I called to today requesting that they stop and their reply was this. This now August 08, so they have a total amt of $238.00 plus the $60.00 for the equipment. They all of a sudden now do not show my equipment being return, which that shouldn't matter since I paid for it in full. Told them to check their records could see that I have not used their service, since I don't even have a phone number to utilize it with, but their reply is if I cancelled the service they would charge me $172.00 for early disconnect fee. I requested that they stop taking the money out of my checking and they ignored my stmt not once, not twice but at least eight different times. This was a manager in their customer service department in another country besides US, so their english is horrible. I then requested to speak to the main office was given another number to call, called and the operator put me into a voice mail. The voice mail promises to return calls within four hours if they are open. So I have since contacted the attorney general, the better business bureau, and our news station. This is the most ridiculous way to do business I have ever seen, who would want to go with vontage.
De