Vonage / Hidden fees

United States Review updated:
Today, 1 day short of my 1 year annual service, I called Vonage to cancel my account. I called today, rather then the annual date because I did not want to be charged an extra month's service fee. Speaking to the representative, I made it clear that I wanted to close my account on the condition that I would have no extra service fees or cancellation fees that were not apparent in my original contract (aka $39.99), and that I needed to know before the account was closed what the cancellation fees would be. I asked the representative 3 times distinctly, and she refused to give any answer. The rep persisted in trying to get me to buy new services, and I refused, saying no I want to cancel, tell me what the amount of the cancellation fee will be, or if there was one. She evaded this, and put me on hold. During the time I was put on hold, conveniently the call was dropped. I immediately received an email stating that I was being charged $98.46 to close the account. Now: 1. I did not approve the cancellation, because my canceling was dependent on the conditions and amount of the cancellation fee. I would have canceled the account tommorrow, if I knew I would receive an extra service charge. 2. According to the customer service reps who I called back to explain and rectify this hidden charge, I was being charged $50.00 for the router they issued because my service had not lasted exactly for a year. Now I was paid in full for service for the entire year, and my call was an inquiry, one day shy. I am aware there is a $39.99 fee for canceling the service, but to cancel my account without disclosing the extra $50.00 charge is utterly deceptive. I was charged over $40 when I opened my account, which covered the expense of the router. I called the customer rep service back twice, and was stymied, refused contact with a manager, and refused any transcript copies of the conversation I had with the representatives. Reading from scripts, they refused to be of any help. When you figure in the hidden expenses, Vonage is actually no cheaper then your average home phone line service as advertised. I would not recommend their service to anyone and while I know this is a nominal sum, I feel cheated non the less.

A  4th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I agree with Olivia, Vonage will not let you cancel before the renew date. I had tried to cancel two months before my yearly contract would run out. The rep said I had to call back on the renewal date. I asked for a supervisor but was put on hold then the rep came back and said he just canceled the account that had two months to go to complete the contract. I was charged 39.xx. That was not what I wanted I would have kept the con tract to the end all I wanted is to make sure I was not charged for for another year. Vonage gives prices without taxes included
and you always are charged more than you expect. I also did a referral that I never received credit for. the reason I wanted to cancel Vonage 2 months early was because I purchased a MAGICJACK and wanted to try it for a month or two. It turned out the MAGICJACK works great @ $40.00 and 5.00 shipping. one year contract included. 20.00 each year after. I strongly recommend the MAGICJACK.

Vonage Logo Vonage