Viking Grand European Cruise / Unsatisfactory Accommodations and Customer Service

United States, California, Woodbridge
Viking River Cruises
If I could provide 0 stars I would, based on Viking’s lack of customer service alone.

We were on the 15-Day Grand European Tour on Viking (Eisla ship) in March, 2015 from Budapest to Amsterdam. The staff in general was good, and the tours and food were definitely above average.
My extremely negative review centers around the consistent problems we had with our room, the double stacking of ships at docks (which left no view from our upgraded room and balcony), and the Hotel Manager’s personal problem.
We booked this trip with my parents 14 months in advance (with the paid cancellation policy), as my husband is in the military and never knows what his upcoming schedule will be. This was a “bucket list” trip with my 75 year old parents. We paid a lot of money (nearly $20, 000) for one of the suites with a nice balcony.
Unfortunately our room either had no air or no heat, depending upon the weather. Maintenance came in at least four times to fix it and nothing was ever settled. Our TV was completely non-functional in the bedroom for most of the trip. Our power outlets in the bathroom were not consistent with the hairdryers provided by Viking or any adapters we purchased (based upon what Viking suggested), so we had to get ready in our living room. Our bathroom smelled like stale urine the entire trip, even after it was cleaned each day. For approximately 40% of our trip, we had no view from our suite or balcony since other Viking ships were double stacked against us. I want to mention that we were told by several Viking staff that Viking saves money by double stacking so that they do not have to pay for extra docks. American Airlines did tell us that they have never been informed of this and was not aware that Viking was “double stacking”. Thus, if I wanted to enjoy our balcony or open our blinds, I was looking straight into someone else’s room. This completely ruined our trip to Budapest, Koblenz, Cologne, Bratislava, etc.
In addition, the Hotel Manager, who one would normally complain to, was unapproachable the entire cruise. All of the staff were complaining about him. My husband contacted Viking about this and their “executive team” contacted him for further information. They appeared to take this very seriously… at the time….
Boy, were we wrong. So, when we returned home, we contacted American Airline Cruises about our complaints, as this is who we booked the vacation through. American, as always, was very apologetic and willing to offer what they could as compensation (some miles). American has contacted Viking several times over the past two months and they have finally offered a discount on future cruises, even though we specifically requested for cash because my husband cannot plan months or years ahead for another cruise. And, after the horrible experience we had, why would we want to do another cruise with them?? Again, my husband is in the military and can deploy or be transferred at any time. We were told Viking would not honor our request and indicated that military or not, we could easily book a future trip. It is very disturbing how uncaring they are about their military customers.
My husband has requested that American continue to deal with Viking cruises about this matter, but we have not heard a word in over four weeks from them. This is totally unacceptable and just shows how little they value their customers, especially those who are in the military.
Please, I urge everyone to not use Viking Cruises for the simple reasons that you will be overpaying for what you receive and that they have no customer service or concern for their customers. Please review them on BBB.org. They currently have an F from the Better Business Bureau due to their customer service.
Jun 28, 2015