Verizon Fios / contract change

1 VA, United States Review updated:

A warning to anyone with Fios or anyone considering Fios - I've gone through a truly annoying round of phone calls about a contract switch Verizon made without my authorization. After about 1 month of being a bundle customer, a rep suggested that for another $10 a month ($or it could have been $15, I don't recall) I could get several more HD channels and that I might want to give it a try. I would receive a discount for the next so many months and she emailed me a link for the explained purpose that I needed to visit the site connected to the link to receive my discount. So I did.

It turns out that what I did was change the start date on the contract to a start date of the day I accepted the new stations. The rep had not told me that what she was doing was giving me a NEW PACKAGE rather than simply adding on stations. Future reps refused to change my contract date back to the original date which was 3 months earlier.

This means I am locked in for another 12 months from the new (later) contract date, which I don't want.

The reps are politely aggressive in general and although I know they have to make a living in sales, they are knowingly misrepresenting their actions.

I am actually considering ending m contract early and paying the termination fees because I absolutely know they were routinely being unethical in their practices.

Ki

Comments

• Gr
      25th of Sep, 2009

Verizon Fios pulled the same stunt on me. I should have been out of contract with Verizon as of 09/20/09. My original FiOS HD package was supposed to have "new channels coming soon". One day I noticed that new channels had been added but that I could not get them. I called Verizon to ask why on 12/04/2008. My service was subsequently upgraded to something called "Extreme" and my contract extended to 12/04/2009. I did not realize that my contract was being extended; I got nowhere arguing the point with Verizon. There is no way I would have agreed to a contract extension . To add insult to injury, the new channels are useless.
    This is a deceptive, despicable practice and ought to be illegal.
    Comcast has offered me a great deal, but it is, of course, a limited time offer.
    Even if I can't get a great deal from another service provider or if Verizon offers me a sweet deal, come December 4 2009 I am cancelling FiOS. Customers do not like to be decieved. Guess they'd rather attract new customers than keep the ones they have happy.