Valerobuying gas

This incident occurred today, 4/29 at the Valero station, 1185 S De Anza Blvd, San Jose, CA 95129 at about 10:30 AM.

Intending to fill up my car with gas, I walked into the shop to pay cash, handing the employee $40. He asked me which pump and I said I wasn't sure. I told him I was parked on the other side of Pump 2--and he said "Oh--Pump 1" at which point I walked back to my car to pump gas. I noticed that the pump stopped working after $15 had been pumped and was about to go back inside when the employee came out and said that there had been a mistake--he thought I had said Pump 3. He went over to the woman at Pump 3 and then he returned inside. I had no contact with this woman. The pump reverted to 00 and I started to pump, filling my car with $36 worth of gas after which I walked back to the shop expecting to get my $4 back.See Top 10 Worst Companies in San Jose, CAThe employee then handed me a $1 bill. I asked about the other $3, naturally, and he reasoned that I had made a mistake with the pump number, and that the woman behind me had pumped $3 worth of gas that I actually paid for. I asked whether the woman (who by this time had driven off) offered to pay me $3 and the guy said she didn't have any cash. I asked him for the cash and he said he couldn't give it to me.
This might seem like a petty situation over a paltry amount of money, but as a regular customer at that station, I would have thought he would have done the honorable thing and given me $3 back. I will never go back to that gas station after being treated in this way.
I would like to be compensated and I would certainly like my $3 back. My contact information is below.
Sincerely,