US Bank / US Bancorp / freezing of my checking account

Minnetonka, MN, United States Review updated:

I was a 15 or 20 year customer of USBANK. I have two mortgages and had a recent car loan with us bank. The car loan was taken out in December for about $13, 000 on a $30, 000 car. After about 4 or 5 months Dave Lieberman of the Minnetonka branch called me and said he needs the title. I said I didn't know where it was and would look for it. I talked to him again and told him I couldn't find the title. He told me look again. He called on Monday 6/18/18 and left a message. "Steve, this is Dave Lieberman, give me a call". I was busy when I got the call but saw it and then forgot about it and didn't call. I got another call on Friday 6/22/18 with the same message. No urgency, nothing about a problem just give me a call. I was in Wisconsin at our cabin putting in our dock and didn't have my phone (water and phones don't mix). When I got the message it was after bank hours. The next day I went to the gas station and my debit card was declined. Because I didn't return Dave's phone call (the same day he called) he got pissed and froze my checking account. I can't believe that my funds could be frozen for such a trivial reason. I had to have my wife drive the 120 miles to where I was and bring some cash so I could get gas to get home. My account had more than twice what I owed on the car loan and I had already paid off half of the 3 year loan in about 6 months. If he would have told me there was a problem I would have just paid it off which is what I did when I met with the bank on Monday morning. Of course I will be cancelling my account and have already opened an account at another bank. I believe this was a serious abuse of power and will be contacting every bank regulatory agency that I think would be interested.
Steve Roedel 4040 Hunters Hill Way, Minnetonka, MN [protected]

Sr
Jun 28, 2018

Comments

• Wh
      Jun 29, 2018

By your own account, you ignored him for four days, not one. Calls from banks are important, you don't just blow them off and completely ignore them. The bank had no idea what your intentions were, since you couldn't be bothered to communicate with them.

Don't get pissed at the bank because you're too lazy to pick up the phone for a quick and simple call.

• Be
      Jun 29, 2018

So you couldn't find important paperwork that was requested. It was obviously important. Yet you figured, no big deal. Then he calls and leaves a message requesting a call back, you ignore it. For 4 days. Finally calls again and you don't answer, so action is taken. He wasn't freezing the account out of spite, he was likely calling you to prevent those actions from occurring. You decided it wasn't important enough for you to call back.

Banks etc do not leave detailed messages because of privacy concerns. They expect you to know that when they call, it is important enough to call back. Especially after he had been asking about required paperwork. You knew what it was about, you simply didn't feel it was important enough for you to call back. You are the only one responsible for this. Be a man and take the responsibility.

Jul 06, 2018

What The Heck 85 and Bellamie are you US bank employees.

Give me a break.

• Be
      Jul 06, 2018

@main612 Nope. Not a US bank employee. I am just a person who has common sense and knows that I should return calls since 1) it is polite and 2) it was regarding important information regarding finances, from a person they have had contact with before. Can't bury your head in the sand and hope it goes away or just figure you are too important/busy/etc to deal with something. There are consequences for your actions. Seems that freezing the bank account was the consequence.