UPS / refuses to deliver packages to walk-ups

New York
The UPS driver for my particular area (Mulberry Street, Elizabeth Street, Spring Street, Kenmare Street, Mott Street, etc.) will not deliver packages to customers in walk-ups!

During a community meeting, certain residents have said they have made complaints to UPS customer service but nothing was ever done about it. This leaves me wondering if his refusal to do his job fully is part of his union contract.

My building is not equipped with a buzzer, and I have asked the driver to call the number in front of the my package so I can come down for my package. He said "no" because he doesn't have a phone.

N  22nd of Jul, 2009 by
UPS drivers are not required to use their personal cell phones to call customers. Drivers are required to leave pkgs out of site and weather. The driver is also not allowed to driver release packages to apts without a signature. If they have no access to your front door they will not leave a package. It is up to you to provide the access so your driver can make a secure delivery. If the package is lost or stolen it comes back on the driver. The union has nothing to do with company rules such as driver releases.

United Parcel Service of America [UPS] Logo United Parcel Service of America [UPS]
55 Glenlake Pkwy NE