University of Phoenix / scam

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I enrolled in UOP received a loan for 20, 000. I was informed that only half of my loan could be disbursed based upon credit hours. My 1st disbursement was (10, 000) 7, 000 was mailed to me and the school used 3, 000 to cover the cost for the class which I was enrolled in. UOP states that the other 10, 000 of the original (20, 000)loan was returned to the lender. I am now in repayment status repaying the loan, but have received several letters saying that I owed UOP 7, 600 in addition to paying the lender and if I do not pay UOP this will further damage my credit and prevent me from pursuing another school. Upon withdrawing from this school I had a 0 balance and all my fees were paid with loan funds. How do I defend myself knowing that this is a scam. I received a loan and I should be required to repay only the loan back not the school.

Comments

• Ka
      4th of Jan, 2010

I was enrolled at university of phoenix for a month. Red flags began to pop up almost immediately. The web site, 'classroom', was the biggest pain in the but, and organized terribly. The financial aid was an absolute joke. They promised 9500.00 in financial aid, and a 5350.00 pell grant, none of which was ever recieved. I had opted to manage my own funds by having all education money[loans, grants, ect] directly deposited into my savings account. This obviously made them mad. They called me 7 times and wanted me to opt for the school to manage my account funding. When I told them "no", that I was perfectly capable of managing my funds, and that my tuition was paid up to date, they then got mad and sent me a letter stating that either I sign the right to manage funding over to them, or they would just take them anyway without my consent . I contacted 3 different reps, and got 3 different answers. This school is nothing but a "student mill", literally accepting every person that applies, reguardless of their qualifications. The university of phoenix is only interested in ONE thing, MONEY. If you are looking to further your investigation, turn away from UOP, and run FAST!

• Uo
      29th of Apr, 2010

I have had all the same complaints about UOP and no one seems to want to do anything about this. What should all the ripped off consumers do to make sure UOP dont take advantage of anymore vulnerable people who want an education. Something has got to stop this. Please email me, Lets put a stop to this, emartin63@carolina.rr.com

• Da
      9th of Jul, 2010

I am also a victim of the scam of the university of phoenix on-line scam. i was told by my financial aid advisor of the university of phoenix that i would not be able to finish my course because i still owed them 3, 000.00 they said that a portion of the money will be returned to the department of education and that i would not be allowed to finish my last two classes unless i paid them three thousand dollars directly or made arrangements to pay them.this is a fraud and a scam. i will never agree to sign another promissory note for them to cheat the goverment oput of money. I would also like to be included in the lawsuit against them.

• Da
      8th of Oct, 2010

Is there anyone else who has been slow played in recieving their dispursement checks? They will tell you that it was cut on this day, then it was mailed on this day, but ten days later you still dont have a check. some of us have reduced our employment to part time in order to accommodate our learning needs, we depend on this money to make ends meet. I am convinced that the longer UOP holds these monies, the more intrest the get in thier own pocket.

• Mi
      11th of Apr, 2011

Similiar thing happened to me, I was busy traveling, and had only been handing in the assignments, and had two seven day periods without posting. I turned in all my work, and had already accepted the grade penalty, but was automatically withdrawn from the class. They gave me a week to pay 540 out of pocket to retake the course. I didn't have the money for two weeks, and so they said my loans were withdrawn and I owed the school 2800 for course that I wasn't even failing. The counselors said there was no appeal process and I was recieving collection notifications a few days later. I am debating how to handle the situation at the moment..Please provide feedback anyone that has any knowledge on the topic.

• Ne
      14th of Aug, 2012

At the moment I am enrolled into UOP, but the funny thing about this whole thing is that classes have already started a I have not recieved my financial aid. Big deal in my eye's another thing is that they personally withdrew me out of one class because of attends, but all my homework was completed. So now they are withholding my funds until further notice. Is this even legal?

• Qu
      7th of Feb, 2015

U. of Phoenix (Apollo Group) is owned and run by Mormons. It was successfully sued for millions of dollars for discrimination against non-Mormons. The LDS "church" is known for purposefully hiding the fact that they own certain companies. Mormons are NOT Christians; they are a cult. They teach their followers that any other faith is evil and that non-Mormons are sinners. They teach HATE. They say people with dark skin are the descendants of Cain and have no souls. Mormons teach their female followers that they should not work outside the home; their "jobs" are to please their husbands have as many children as possible. The LDS church convinces its men that in the afterlife they will become the god and owner of their own planet and will have many, many wives. It's a made-up fake "religion" founded in the 1800s by a man named Joseph Smith, who was a con artist and crook. He died in a gun fight while serving time in jail. The Mormons tell their people that Smith was a martyr. He was a fraud. He wrote "doctrines" which he claimed were told to him by God himself. Those doctrines all contradict each other, but the LDS church reads them and follows them, ignoring the contradictions. Mormons are ALL about money and will lie, steal, cheat, or do whatever to make money. Stealing is a major past time. White collar crime is their specialty. Trust me. Stay far, far away from anything owned by Mormons. They own many banks, radio stations, schools, the Utah Jazz NBA team, La Quinta hotels, and even Priceline.com. If you don't believe me, do a little digging on the Internet. You just might find the proof.