Toys r us / advertised sale items not in stock

1 Calgary, Alberta, Canada Review updated:

The Toys R Us BIGGEST TOY book arrived on my front porch, full of stuff on sale. Going through it, I found an outdoor playhouse I knew my kids would LOVE. I noticed the savings on the price, and figured it would be good to buy it NOW. Before heading out to a local Toys R Us, I called around to see which locations had these in stock. Imagine my surprise to the HUGE RUNAROUND given by Toys R Us. An item which was placed on SALE, YESTERDAY and nobody appears to have ANY IN STOCK. To further this, when you go to the store, the staff (usually made up of high school and junior high school kids) just stand there with a gap jawed look on their face. Who knows WHAT they have advertised in stock, why even BOTHER? At this rate, it will be more convenient for me to shop online.

Comments

• D
      12th of Nov, 2008

LEFT ME HANGING!
    I called several times to my local TRU store until I finally got through the busy signal and a person actually answered - hooray! However, after making my inquiry, the "customer service" girl went to check the stock on the particular item and put me on hold. I stayed there for about 7 minutes when someone finally picked me up. Unfortunately, they never said anything, they just put the phone with me on the line shouting "HELLO" and left me there for about 25 minutes. During this time, I left my phone on speaker so I could hear everything that was going on, I washed an entire load of dishes, and occasionally kept yelling into the phone for help. Never, did anyone bother to pick up the phone or come back to me with an answer to my question. JUST TERRIBLE SERVICE!!! Now I know why it takes so long to get someone to answer a live ringing phone, they don't want to be bothered. They finally figured out that they could "outsmart" us all by pretending to help us by leaving us hanging and preventing any other calls from coming through. Just AWFUL!! The only thing worse is going to be to finally find out that the advertised item isn't even in stock - I'm going to make them check all of their stores in the country just to find out if any of them have it!!!

• Wt
      12th of Nov, 2008

I find such is the case almost anywhere I go ; Wal-Mart, Zellers, London Drugs, Safeway, Real Canadian Superstore, you name it - why should Toys R Us be any better or different? It seems that in their zealous urgency to suck the consumer in and come to their store and buy what is advertised on sale, the merchants cannot be bothered to make sure the shelves - or even the stockroom in the back for that matter - actually HAVE the merchandise. I guess they figure once they've duped you into making the trip there, you may as well make it worth your while and buy "something"?

Calling ahead is always wise, to save yourself the gas and time, but the aggravation is inevitable, as described above ; just a buncha clueless, bordering-on-stupid school kids who wouldn't know their ### from a hole in the ground. In fact, many of the adult employees are not better at being any kind of help, since more than half of them are "fresh off the boat" from some godforsaken 3rd world country and can barely speak two words of (CLEAR & FLUENT) English to be of any real assistance.

30th of Aug, 2009

The store has no say on what items in the paper they get. The wharehouse and ultimately corporate decide who gets what. On top of that only recently has the store been receiving the mail in fliers that customers get. Before, they were truly in the dark until someone either found a flier or a NICE customer was kind enough to give them one. The employees are the last one to blame. Start at the top for this one.

• Co
      4th of Mar, 2012

When it comes to stock, the employees do NOT do the ordering. It is all electronic. The fliers are all printed in one place MONTHS in advance. Trucks get delayed. ### happens. You expect them to answer the phone on the first ring? Well you are certainly not the only person that needs their attention and it is common practice in ALL retail places that the customer in the store takes precedent over the customer on the phone.