Tim Hortons / roll up the rim

1 Windsor, Ontario, Canada Review updated:

I would like to complain about the roll up the rim to win contest. It is believed by myself and many family and friends that the cups have been rolled up already. We have been participating in this annual contest for years and it does not take a brain to know that many many of the cups have already been rolled up and checked then rolled back down to look like they have not been checked. I travel through the windsor chatham area and my boyfriend travel to the london area almost daily and it is not one paticular store that we find this happening at it seems to be widespread. It is a topic at work often because many co workers also believe this to be true. When you can roll up the rim with one finger no problem it has been checked already. I have won many times in the past years and this year I have won one coffee and my boyfriend has not one once. We buy coffee several times a day each as I said we are on the road for hours daily and there is something fishy going on.

Comments

• Gr
      16th of Mar, 2009

Yes, this is a problem on the eastern coast as well... seems like everyone wants to find the big prize.

It is a problem for Tim's, the person who is buying a coffee from someone with dirty money germ infected fingers, rolling their dirty fingers all over the lid of your cup where you place your mouth. UHHH, that's so gross, I wish that there was a fighting chance to win a prize, not a hidden reward to crooked employees making minimum wage.

Disgusted in Halifax.
    Grant

• Ny
      29th of Mar, 2009

I have never come across a pre-rolled cup, although I'm only 17, and I don't go to timmy's very often (perhaps once a week)...I have won quite a few times (nothing big)...My current roll-up stats are 50% winners...so I'm doing very well, abnormally well actually...

I must say one thing though, these people working at timmys for min. wage, are working there for a reason...they aren't very bright (aside from, perhaps the part-time employed students)...if they were a little smarter, they would have realized that there is a way to tell if a cup is a winner, without rolling the rim...and instead of getting their grimy hands all over every cup, they could just identify the winners and leave the rest alone...

I don't want to reveal the secret here, because there could be some timmys employees that read this, and may decide to start picking out winners and taking them home (which would kill the fun for the rest of us)...but it's not very hard to find the secret...as I said before, I have won several times and I have looked at all my winning cups, and all my losing cups, and there is a way to tell if a cup is a winner before you even roll it.

I think tim hortons should stop leaving signs that a cup is a winner, because it just allows employees to steal the winners, and doesn't give us a chance...i know its company policy that timmys employees can not redeem a winning cup, but they can easily give it to a friend or family member.

• Te
      5th of Apr, 2009

um yeah.. i work at Tim Hortons and employees are not allowed to participate in the Roll Up the Rim. There are cameras everywhere and there is no way employees can steal them.

And im not being biased because i work at Tim Hortons, but like.. cups are placed in the 100s+ in a plastic bag.. there is no way us "lowly uneducated employees" could roll them up. Managers are always watching, the boss is always watching. and honestly.. with the morning and lunch rush at Tim Hortons, there is no time to check for the winning cups.

When i want to get a drink, I have to get the regular cups or a mug. If i want to participate in Roll Up The Rim then i would have to go to another Tim Hortons and pay for it. Even then, technically i'm not suppose to do it..

But yeah i agree with you. In the past, every cup seemed to be a winning cup with either a coffee or donut, but now it's a 1:9 ratio

It sucks to you that certain Tim Hortons you've visited have done stuff against company policy but don't be ignorant and group all Tim Hortons together and think that all employees are corrupted and steal winning cups (I don't see why they need to do it.. employees get free coffee and donuts. Even if they win the bigger prizes, they can't claim it since they are an employed at Tim Hortons. )

The fact that certain individuals relate people that work in the fast food industry with poor education is very disgusting.

• De
      20th of Feb, 2017

@Teresa T Well you are lying I know someone that works at tim hortons, in the back storage room where the cups are there is no cameras, on the night shift she told me they go back there and roll up the rims on all the cups, she won $1, 000 a couple times doing this. No since she works there she could not claim it, she said she got a friend to claim it for her. So I know the employees and managers roll up the cups on a regular basis. I wrote to the coporate office a few times about this problem, I told them you can tell when a cup has been checked already, all you have to do is look at the rim to see it's been rolled up already, then rolled back down. The corporate office blamed it on the cup dispensers, they said the lip of the cup would sometimes catch on the rim of the cup, yeah right. Anyways I suggested that to combat this problem they put a tab over the rim where the prize is, the tab would have to be broken to roll up the rim, I made that suggestion about 8 years ago and they have still not done it, so I guess they don't care that their actual real customers win the prizes or not. Or corporate is corrupt to so they are covering their own butts.

• Co
      8th of Apr, 2009
    Tim Hortons - refused to enforce support laws
    Tim Hortons
    624 s. main st.
    Lapeer
    Michigan
    Phone: 810 667 1486

Rollin Carpenter the third worked there. He paid 2 months then he and his company decided to report (incorrectly) that he was no longer working there.
    Rollin owes eight thousand dollars.

It is well known that he worked there for at least six months after they stopped taking the support payments out.

It was reported a couple of times but nothing is
    being done.

• St
      12th of Apr, 2009
    Tim Hortons - Disgusting garbage
    Tim Hortons
    Upper Tantallon
    Nova Scotia
    Canada

I am disgusted by the state of the parking lot and surrounding areas at the Tantallon Tim Hortons. Here is no reason for this other then the fact that the owners are only out to make a buck, and take no pride in there business or he community that supports them.

• Ab
      25th of May, 2009

Rollin Carpenter only trained at this store then moved to a different store and was fired, all within' 2 months.

• Li
      29th of May, 2009

Honestly, there is absolutely no way that a Tim Hortons employee could steal any of the winning cups - first off they are forced to watch an hour long video on roll up the rim and it is clearly indentified that you cannot touch the cups, that authorities will be watching and what will happen if you do. I cannot believe that you would first off puts everyone who works at Tim Hortons into the same categories at 'thiefs.' When you cannot even REDEEM anything, if you are employed.
    I'm a little offended that you can sit there and say that employees are uneducated - there are lots of military wives who are dental hygenists or secretaries who are between finding jobs and just wanted something to hold them over. I've been working there for 3 years getting myself through school and there is absolutely nothing 'uneducated' about me.

OH and halifax, we're not crooked. We wouldnt be able to roll up the rims behind the counter even if we were the best criminals.

• Cf
      11th of Jul, 2009

Does this "supporting community" have anything to do with the litter surrounding the store?

• Cf
      11th of Jul, 2009

I completely disagree with you.
    When Roll Up The Rim time comes to my store the cups are under 24 hour camera supervision. Anyone who works at the store and their immediate family is not allowed to participate in the contest, so any big prizes can't even be cashed in if an employee manages to cheat, you can't even cash in on a free donut or coffee!
    The actually add EXTRA cameras in the back room where we keep our cups, tampering with the cups calls for immediate termination of employment.
    We are also forced to watch a video on how to deal with certain cups that have possible teeth marks or look as if they are tampered and are expected to report it to the store manager immediately.

• De
      20th of Feb, 2017

@CFront Wow I have seen a lot of comments from employees saying they are not allowed to participate in the roll up the rim so how can they win prizes? Wow are you all #### or what? It's real easy to give a winning cup to a friend to claim for you duhhh lol. I know a person that did this a few times, as I said in a previous post, she worked the night shift, the employees checked the cups, and she won a $1000 prize a couple of times, she got a friend to claim it for her each time, and gave her a cut of the win.

• St
      20th of Mar, 2010

i used to think the same as you...:
    1) if u even try anything weird at tim's ur fired/written up
    2)cups are put in like cases of 100-150 in a pack u think we have the time to roll those up and then roll them back down? with the morning, lunch, afternoon, night rushes we have???
    3) u know we cant claim the prizes and neither can immediate families...(my uncle won a camping trip and never got it and guess what he lives in america when i live in canada...)
    4)from personal experience someone kept saying there cup was opened and kept getting free cups, another was just mad and taking it out on me so he says i was rude for making a joke to try and make him smile...and kept being annoying till we gave him free stuff...before u start complaining about tim hortons I WANT YOU TO TRY AND GO TO STARBUCKS OR ANY COFFEE HOUSE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE COFFEE OR ANYTHING AND SEE WHAT THERE RESPONCE IS! we put custumer care first not profit! IF YOU ARE HAVING PROBLEMS TAKE IT SOMEWERE ELSE DONT GO TO TIMS JUST CUZ THEY ARNT GIVEN ANY POWERS...

• Fe
      8th of Apr, 2010

The Tim Hortons in Cornwall On located at corner of Brookdale and Highway 401 is open 24 hours.Ithe night shift are pilfering and sifting through the cups to find winners.Every cup of coffee I purchase, has been tampered with.

• Ca
      14th of Apr, 2010
    Tim Hortons - too many losing cups
    4229 First Avenue
    Chilliwack
    British Columbia
    Canada
    Phone: 604-846-8779

I have bought around 100 roll up the rim to wins since the contest started for my family and have won only around 2 free coffees and 1 free donut, where have all the winners gone back?

• Li
      14th of Apr, 2010

There do seem to be a lot less winning cups this time around...

• Au
      12th of Aug, 2010

I know that at the store I work at, someone cleans all the garbage in the parking lot and drive thru and changes all the garbage bags between 7 and 8 AM. Y'know who is to blame for the trash though? The filthy customers who cannot walk a few feet to dump their [censor] in a trash can. Do not blame us.

• Ly
      5th of Dec, 2010

not`the`stores`fault`that`the`customers`are`pigs

12th of Jan, 2011

stupid i know, apparently each store has to make sure they only get so many winners per batch or some [censor]

12th of Jan, 2011

lucky!! the most ive ever won is a donut :( or a free coffee haha

• Mr
      17th of Feb, 2011

Coffee not always fresh and not served properly, eg: too much cream, sugar or old (more than a half hour). When we pay $2.00 for a large coffee we deserve to have
    a coffee thats fresh and to our liking eg: not too sweet or too much cream. Further I would like to be asked if I wanted a mug or paper cup!!! If I drink my coffee in the store why would I need a paper cup?? Their just too lazy to wash the cups. Plus they are adding to the massive waste at our landfill sites!!

• Mo
      5th of Mar, 2011

I agree that Tim employee are under supervision camera 24/7 b/c my friend set them up. There are less win and never is a big prize so it's harder than buying lottery ticket. You can't win b/c there isn't any prize to win in the first place. I and my brother get Tim coffee every morning and so far we win a coffee and a donut in 2 week that is 2 of 28. So stop tampered those cup, there isn't any prize except coffee/donut or Tim bit. I was so embarrassed when the first time i won a time bit when an indian lady gave me the Tim bit with that dirty look.

• Sm
      6th of Apr, 2011

I don't care how much Tim Horton employees say this cannot be done because of surveillance, etc. It is pretty obvious the employees of some locations are finding ways around the system. The difference between a pre-rolled cup and un-rolled cup is like night and day and I have come across some in which the rim was not even rolled back all the way. As for the "Tim Horton's employees cannot take part..." statements, ya da dee da. It wouldn't be too hard form one rogue employee to get the winning cup into the hands of a friend or relative. Why else would they be wasting the effort and taking the risk to peek.