Thrifty Car Rental / cost of insurance

1 Temporary visitorPhoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: (616) 928-5895

I've rented an automobile from Thrifty Car Rental at the Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport. The vehicle was reserved weeks in advance and I simply entered the auto rental facility near the airport and picked up the car. The contract exhibits the fact that I did not purchase conventional insurance coverage and itemizes all of the numerous and well-known "taxes and fees". I was also asked if I wanted the "loss of use" insurance that covers the company in the event that the rented auto is out of service due to damage occuring during the rental period. The counter person never mentioned the amount of the insurance. I agreed to paying for the "loss of use" premium. When I arrived at Thrifty's parking area, I looked at the total amount of rental charges that would be going to my credit card and was dismayed to see that the total was going to be in excess of $1100.00! At the end of a long day of travel I was resigned to the circumstances but after due consideration I'm struck by the fact that a lot of prudent people are no doubt buying the insurance and visitors such as myself who are staying for weeks instead of days are paying "big bucks" for this insurance. Finally, it should be noted that there is no explicit item on the contract stating the cost of the insurance; there is only the total and the other itemized costs. I don't think that I'm the only person who finds this practice devious and opportunistic if not actually fraudulent.

Comments

• Ci
      8th of Nov, 2008

I am having the opposite problem with Dollar Rental Car. I was told by my insurance company that I didn't need to take insurance with the rental company. I hit a cow 3 hours after renting the car. My insurance DID pay for the totaled car; however, I was billed for 3 days because of loss of use. Then I received another bill for $11oo for 13 1/2 days of loss of use. State Farm says they don't cover loss of use and Dollar Rental can charge as many days as they want. Guess I'm lucky it was only 13, plus the 2 additional days I paid that they claim is a different type of loss of use. I will NEVER use Dollar again!

• Ji
      19th of Apr, 2009

The loss of use is not a dollar or thrifty thing...it varies from state to state. Arizona has the loss of use no matter where you rent from according to the guy from National. As for me I always just take the basic coverage because I dont want to risk having my insurance rates go up for a car I will never drive again...plus it covers loss of use in the dumb states that have it.