Thrifty Car Rental / scammers

I rented a car (Chrysler Dodge Caravan) from Thrifty two days ago. This morning, the car had a flat tire. I discovered that the tools needed to retrieve the spare tire were not in the car. (That's the first instance of Thrifty incompetence.)

I called Thrifty Roadside Assistance and they said they'd send someone out to help me.

A tow truck came 45 minutes later, but the two truck driver hadn't been informed about the missing tools (that's the second instance of Thrifty incompetence), so he was unable to fix the tire. But he said he could tow the car to Firestone to have the tire fixed. I called Thrifty and asked them what I should do. The Thrifty representative told me: "Whatever the tow truck driver wants to do, do that." She assured me that Thrifty would pay for it. The car was towed to Firestone and the tire was patched.

When Firestone called Thirfty to get payment ($23), the Thrifty representative refused to pay. He said that Thrifty would pay to have the flat tire removed and the spare tire put on, but not to have the tire fixed--thus going back on Thrifty's earlier assurance that they'd pay for whatever I decided to do. At best, Thrifty was unintentionally misleading in its communication to me (the third instance of Thrifty incompetence). At worst, Thrifty took advantage of the unclarity to make me shoulder the cost of having the tire fixed (a cost that Thrifty would otherwise have shouldered itself). My primary complaint is that Thrifty went back on its assurance to pay.

In addition, the manager of Thrifty Roadside Assistance was super annoying. He was snarky and dismissive. He didn't take seriously that I could be giving a correct account of my earlier conversation with the Thrifty representative.

Wi

Comments

• Wh
      7th of May, 2009

Car rental places are a bunch of liars. That is why I will never deal with any of these places again. It is obviously Thrifty's responsiblity to replace the tire at no charge to you since it is "their" car and you paid for the rental. These crooked businesses will do anything to scam people. They want you money for the rental, but they don't want to back themselves up when it comes to road side assistance. They use raod side assistance as a ploy to get people to be willing to rent from them, as people are unaware that this road side assistance is just a scam and if something does happen to their rental car, the rental company will do whatever it takes to avoid paying for anything.

• Ke
      28th of May, 2010

First of all if you get a flat tire taht is your responsiblity, was the tire like that when you got the car? Second you are responssilbe to return the car the condition you got it in.

• Dt
      11th of Mar, 2011

Thats what Dollar/Thrify does to make the customer "learn a lesson" so to speak and purchase Roadside Assistance and Insurance. They order a vehcile without options, actually I have seen some items "deleted" according to the [censor]ey Sticker. Plus watch out, they are charging money if you smoke in their cars, even if you dont see any stickers in the vehicle.