Thailand Post / Ripped out consumer with new custom/tax fee

1 Thailand Review updated:

I live in the US and I will not be able to spend my Christmas with my parents in Thailand this year so I mailed Christmas gifts to them in November 2010. Early December 2010, my parents received a notice from the postman that they need to pick up the package at the post office close to their home. The gifts were not worth anything more than $200. They were jacket for my dad and charming bracelets for my mom. They showed up at the post office, gave the pick up notice to the head of the postal department. He came back with a package but that's not it. He asked that my parents paid close to $80 for custom fee, service fee, and tax. My parents asked the guy why they have to pay since I have always sent things over and normally the packages were delivered to their home by the postman. This is the first time that they have to show up at the postoffice and pay for their own gift! The guy did not listen and tried to explain why and when this stupid fee system started. All he said, if my parents wanted the package, they needed to pay.

What the hell kind of country is this asking mail recipients to pay for taxes and custom fee. Everyone, beware if you ever want to mail anything to Thailand to your friends or family since your loved ones might be subject to this unnecessary, ripping fees! This is so outrageous that I am planning to advertise how corrupted this country and their people are to major media companies.

More Thailand Post Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Re
      1st of Mar, 2013

It's a third world country and due to so much corruption there are people in high offices that are simply not qualified to run anything let alone a postal operation. If you see the postal delivery system in places like Phuket you would have to laugh. There are no postal trucks but mail men riding around on their own broken down motorbikes, dropping parcels around corners and simply not delivering items on time because of lack of manpower. It's not that Thailand is a very poor country or anything it's just so corrupt that hardly any of the tax dollars see their way to services.

• Sp
      15th of Feb, 2015

Dear sir/ madam, could you please tell me where this parcel is please RM549857716IN. I can't understand why this parcel has been siezed as as far as know there was nothing illegal in the parcel, it was simply a xmas gift for a freind.. Andrew Smith
    Subject: Re: FW: : please help/AL

Dear Mr. Andrew Smith,

The item was seized by Customs. You have to contact for clearance at Lam Cha Bang Customs House. More information please call 038-407-701.

Best Regards,

• Pr
      15th of Mar, 2015

dear sir,
    im not recived my card (parsel) coriar RR104945865TH this is my nomber
    my adress:- Mr.prakash mahajan janalakshmi financial services 654/7 navagrahe palace opp. pakiza mall
    below axis bank
    mo.096857827676
    disctric burhanpur
    state madhya pradesh
    pin code 450331
    india

6th of Jun, 2015

RR172584176TH This is my parcel send to Norway and still not delivered. What's going on ? Kindly send me further information.

30th of Jun, 2015

Watch out with sending to Thailand.

They are trying to get the most money out of it right now. @ of my last packets which i recieve from my mom i needed to pick up in Lam Cha Bang. Nothing illigal in it, they just want money. I takes a long time to get it also.

Please don't forget to call them first. You need to recieve a green tax paper first. Else they will NOT give you the packet.

I see my own packet today. I know there was "satesaus" mix inside, to make some nice saus for the bqq. I just see it. But he would give me. I drive 1 hour to get there. This is not human. Pathetic, rude, and he everybody was relaxing there. He was angry that i did not read him out his news paper first.

Later i wanted to pick up the green paper from Bang la mung postoffice. But they say the paper was still in Bangkok. And i needed to call them when the paper arrive. In my country they call me when something arrive, it's also easier as there will only be one phone call needed.

I felt very sad today. That i need to pay some money is oke for me, but i spend from 9 AM till 1 PM and come back with nothing. No bbq saus for me at my birthday.

Please do something about it Thai Post. This is not correct, this is not how you threat people.

I will not send any post again to Thailand before i read better conditions.

• Ta
      12th of May, 2017

This service is a joke. They disregard many emails from enquiring customers. I paid a lot of money to ship ietms directly from the airport to Vietnam and 4 weeks later they have not arrived. The country takes 2 hours to fly there on plane.

I began emailing them to which at first I got a little response to transfer my enquiry to another office. Which then they began to just ignore enquiring emails (5 over 2 weeks) to which now I get no reply what so ever. I have no way to get information from them as I am outside Thailand now after living there for 3 years. I even wrote to Thailand post office in Thai to which they did not respond.

VERY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

• Ca
      17th of Aug, 2018

I have been in Bangkok for 18 years. In past years if a tax was due I would pay it directly at the Post Office in Silom, sign a paper electronically and get the package. NOW I get a green paper and have to go to Chaengwatana to pick it up. NO ONE will answer their phones. This is unacceptable to me.