Textbooks.com / Their customer service is nonexistant

I purchased some used college textbooks from textooks.com. They were shipped through their "Marketplace" branch of the textbooks.com site which means that they are actually being shipped through an outside/private book dealer. Everything was OK until I saw the charge on my bank account (which was overdrawn!!!), there was one for the amount going through and another of equal money as a hold! So until the hold drops off it will continue to "use" or "hold" that dollar amount. The books have been shipped already and the "actual" charge has gone through my account and been processed. The hold is still out there and they (textbooks.com CSR) tells me it could be up to 14 days before the hold drops off. They (textbooks.com) gave me an email to contact the people at customer service for the "Marketplace" portion of their business BUT no phone number because "they just cannot do that"???? It took 24 hours for the people at Marketplace to contact me back just to say the hold would drop off "eventually". So textbooks.com could not do anything (their site does not have a disclaimer about the double charge nor does the checkout area refer to anything to prepare the purchaser for this just in case), the Marketplace people could not do anything and BOA (Bank of America) where I have my account said to contact the people I made the purchase from to have them take care of it!!! WTF people!!! So, my account was in overdraw status and no one could/would help. I will never purchase anything through textbooks.com again (use half.com as I have never had issues with them on charges or anything else) and their customer service is nonexistant!

Comments

• Fo
      12th of Nov, 2010

Buyer Beware. Textbooks.com is just a subsidiary of MBS Textbook Exchange, Inc. located in Columbia, MO. I am a former employee and can attest to the fact the "grading" guidelines are not consistent. One drop of water and they will deem it as water damaged. MBS is a textbook wholesaler and it is their goal to receive as many books as possible at the lowest cost possible to sell at huge mark ups to college and university bookstores. They also had an issue a couple years back where a customer service rep. made off with credit card numbers and purchased nearly $10, 000 worth of "stuff."