Symantec Norton Internet Security / rebate scam!

For the second year in a row I bought Norton Internet Security and sent in the two rebates, both for $30. I received one rebate with no problem but as the year before received a post card stating that I had not sent all the information and was late in submitting. Knowing I meticulously followed detail in submitting the rebate, I wrote and asked them to send a copy of my envelope with mailing date and its contents. Of course I never heard from them again and feel that two times is a sure indication that (1) we are being scammed and (2) not to use them again. Maybe it is time to call the State Service Commission.

A  3rd of Feb, 2007 by
I've just written Symantec about this issue. I've probably submitted six rebate claims in the past few years, and have never actually received a rebate. I'm always careful to submit all requested items, and have never had a rebate claim rejected by another company. BUT THEY ARE ALWAYS REJECTED BY SYMANTEC. They've even rejected them on downloaded products where there is nothing to submit but a form printed out from their own site. If you search "Norton rebate scams" and "Symantec rebate scams" you'll see many others who have encountered this problem. It's obviously Symantec corporate policy to refuse to honor rebate offers and they ought to be ashamed of themselves for treating their customers this way. I plan to contact Costco, Best Buy, Office Max (where I've purchased Symantec products with rebates) and our State Consumer Fraud department. Hope others cheated out of their rebates will as well.
A  3rd of Mar, 2007 by
Symantec tried the same scam with me. I know I sent all the required information for my Norton AntiVirus 2007, and they refused my rebate. I finally emailed the CEO of Symantec, John W. Thompson at jwthompson@symantec.com. I also sent a complaint letter to the BBB, FTC, and Texas Attorney General. My rebate was sent via DHL Overnight within a few days of my email.
A  14th of Mar, 2007 by
I just got an e-mail from Symantec saying they received my NIS2007 $40 rebate request. I clicked the link to the web page and it said that my request was invalid because of a "missing original UPC or invalid UPC number". Sure enough, when I called the toll-free number, I was told that my UPC code "was off by a few digits".

Well, that's just tough, because the UPC I sent was cut from the same box that's pictured on the rebate coupon and it's the box that Office Depot advertised for the rebate and sold me.

The CSR apologized for any inconvenience caused me and said that they would send me the $40 debit card [owed] me. (Now don't get me started on rebate check versus this new debit card thingy.)
N  20th of Nov, 2007 by
Norton is scamming everyone.They have devised a real good plan to get you to pay $99.00 to fix your PC from a virus.Every year at this time I get a Virus from virus protect pro, and others from a hidden codex in a video file from windows media player. The virus will rampage thru you pc and completely hijack everything. You cant do anything with your pc. Norton will list on there web site the day after that there is a virus def. you can update your scanner with ,to take care of it. So if you are lucky enough to connect to internet to get the download update you should be able to get rid of it right ?since they have the updated definitions. Well thats not the case I did update the virus def. and ran the virus scan and watched as it scanned the files and watched the virus infected files go right on buy with Norton not detecting it at all. So you call Norton to ask why the scanner did not detect it when you have the virus definitions to find it and then fix it. They say oh sir I can connect you with a Technician and for $99.00 they will fix you pc 100%.I say no... Why would I do that when your company has the virus def. Already and I pay you already to find this virus and fix it with my subscription. There reply is Sir you downloaded the virus on you pc and there is nothing you can do, it is your fault that you had done this, I will connect you to a Technician to take care of this. I again state that I dont want a tech. that your web site states it has the def. for this specific virus and the def. are available for download to your Norton updater. But it does not work,go figure.The operator then will say that your Norton will not be able to take care of it because you are hijacked, I will connect you with tech.. I then stated that so you are telling me that a hijacker has been able to corrupt Norton and now disable it and that Norton program is unable to protect it's own program? A long pause comes from the agitated salesman,and then he just goes thru the same old spun of crap again.This is done by Norton to get you to pay them another $99.00 and then by the latest program. What a scam...
N  23rd of Apr, 2008 by
For the attention of the manager,
Dear sir/Madam,
I am most disappointed in the manner I have been treated and the lack of response
I have had to my emails. I have been a loyal customer of Symantec over the years
and recomenneded your products to my friends and colleagues.

However, my attitude as changed completely and I will not be renewing my yearly
subscription unless the matter below gets resolved with some urgency.

I have had 2 emails from you in 2 days reminding me that
"Your Norton 360 subscription is scheduled to expire on May 21, 2008".

Its a shame you cannot be a little more responsive when it comes to ensuring your
product does what its suppose to do!

As a manager of a technical department I would have thought you would at least have
had the courtesy to respond to my email.

As for your technicians, I'm afraid my faith is quickly being eroded in their ability.

I would appreciate a response to this email and your intentions.

Dave Cotton

The issue has not been resolved in fact I wasted nearly a whole day trying to run your so called virus check...

The problem is:
1. Spam is not being filtered in Outlook Express.

I went onto the link you sent and I can get no further than "Downloading Active X Controls"
Even when I carry out all the suggestions in your help section going to tools in Explorer 7
then "Internet Options" /"Security"/"Custom Level"/ and carrying out the instructions. I have
allowed "Pop-Ups" and it still will not carry out virus scan?

If I click onto "Security Scan" it downloads Active X and runs the security Scan Ok.
However, it tells me I need to purchase your Norton 360 program even though its already
on this computer!

Surely it should have picked up that I already have that installed? Can you also explain that why if I'm paying you
each year for a virus program, why has it not protected me from any Trojan or Worms etc...

Ironically I have just had an email from Symantec saying "my subscription re-newel is due in May. I have to Say I will
be cancelling this unless this matter is resolved quickly. I am very concerned that I have not had a positive solution
to this problem.

I asked in my previous email for this to be read by a person in authority or a supervisor as feel there are some serious
issues in resolving the problems I have.

Below are a number of questions I require answering please.

1. What do I need to do to allow Spam filtering to work correctly in Outlook Express.

2. Why cant I get your online virus checker to work (It gets no further than "Downloading Active X"

3. Why wont the virus checker I have on my Computer pick up any viruses I may have on my computer

4. What's the point of paying a yearly fee if your product is not checking for these things.

5. I'm still getting 'ccSvcHst.exe' error while shutting down the computer.

I have been trying to get these problems sorted out for the last 3 to 4 weeks which I'm sure you would agree
I have been extremely patient. I would appreciate you giving me a telephone number of someone in authority
I can ring so I can get some direct answers to the above issues.

However, bearing in mind the time and money I have spent I think someone should have the courtesy to telephone
me (UK) 01785 256 049; Dave Cotton.

Please be sure and read all of the tread below and have the courtesy to forward this email to your Customer complaints department.

I feel that If I don't get this matter resolved in the next few days I will be reporting this to the trading standards or the relevant outside body
that deals with such complaints as this.

If this issue is not resolved to your satisfaction, you may reopen it
within the next 21 days.

Technical Support

Discussion Thread
Response (Subir das) - 04/20/2008 04:11 PM
Hi David,

Welcome back to Symantec Technical Support.

I apologize for the difficulties you have recently encountered.

This issue may happen due to some threat infection.

In order to resolve the issue run an online virus scan.

Please click on the url for more information regarding running online scan:

Title: 'Email is not properly identified as spam with Norton AntiSpam or Norton Internet Security'
Document ID: 2004061809311436
Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/nip.nsf/docid/2004061809311436

If issue persists please click on "What if this didn't work" from the above lick and delete third-party plug-ins in your email client.

Symantec values excellence in customer service. As part of our ongoing efforts to improve this service we encourage your feedback. You will receive a survey which will allow you to rate your experience. You can also reach my manager directly on the following email address symantecmanagement@e4e.com. Please quote the Case ID in your email.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Subir das
Symantec Technical Support

Disclaimer :

This message (including any attachments) is intended only for the use of the individual to which it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, please do not follow any instructions provided within this message. Any instructions or offers contained within this message are for a specific person, system configuration, location, and situation. Following these instructions may adversely affect your system if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and (i) destroy this message if a facsimile or (ii) delete this message immediately if this is an electronic communication. You are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

Customer (David Cotton) - 04/17/2008 04:40 AM

Re: Spam Filtering
I updated to version Norton 360 version 2 about 4 weeks ago and at the same time installed the spam filter add on.

I have over the last 4 weeks been highlighting incoming emails which I consider spam by clicking
on the Norton AntiSpam button, and then clicking "This is Spam" .

If you had read my email thoroughly would have read that I have been carrying out the procedure you have specified in your reply.

I have also been checking my Blocked list and Allowed list and they contain the required email addresses I would expect considering the selections I have made. I have configured my Client Integration to use Outlook Express.

I would have thought 4 weeks of me highlighting what I
consider as spam should have been time enough for unwanted spam emails to place themselves automatically into the spam folder.

I have, since speaking with you uninstalled Norton 360 version 2 and re-installed Norton 360 version 2
I have also installed the Spam Filtering Add On and carried out the necessary settings to configure it to filter out spam emails in Outlook Express. However, even though emails are listed in "Blocked List" they still end up in my incomming email folder!

I need to re-new my subscription in May and I must say unless this matter is resolved I will NOT be doing this but will subscribe to an alternative Antivirus and email spam filtering programme!

This would be a shame as I have been a very loyal customer to Norton for some 8 years.

I would appreciate your

Kind regards

----- Original Message -----
From: "Symantec Tech Support"
Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2008 12:53 PM
Subject: Technical Support [Incident: 080408-003801]

Technical Support

Discussion Thread
Response (Sonali Paul) - 04/15/2008 04:53 AM
Hi David,

Welcome back to Symantec Technical support.

I understand from your message that still emails are not identified as spam and you are still receiving ccSvcHst.exe error message on shutdown.

As still emails are not identified as spam, I suggest you to train Norton Antispam engine and check
for the issue.Norton AntiSpam's filtering engine attempts to identify spam automatically
by using your outgoing email to determine your usual email correspondents.
Over time, you can train Norton AntiSpam to reflect your personal
preferences for receiving email more precisely. To teach the filtering
engine, follow the steps below:

1. Start Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Express.

2. Select each item that should have been marked as spam.

3. Click the Norton AntiSpam button, and then click This is Spam.

4. If you have set your options to ask before adding senders to the Blocked
List, answer the prompt accordingly.

5. Open the Norton AntiSpam folder.

6. Select each item that should not have been marked as spam.

7. Click the Norton AntiSpam button, and then click This is not

8. If you have set your options to ask before adding senders to the Allowed
List, answer the prompt accordingly.

9. Close your email program

Also, as you are still receiving error message on ccSvcHst.exe, I suggest you to perform basic optimization and check for the issue. To do so, please click on the URL below:

Title: 'Basic guide to optimizing system resources'
Document ID: 2002061015214139
> Web URL: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002061015214139

If your issue still remains unresolved after following these steps, please reply to this e-mail with the exact text of the error message or the details of what happens after performing the steps mentioned above. This will help us better understand the issue you are encountering.

While replying to
this message, please do not change the subject line of this message.

Sonali Paul
Symantec Technical Support

Thank you.

Customer (David Cotton) - 04/14/2008 01:42 AM
I'm still getting problem.Spam not being filtered!
Request reference number: 080408-003801

I installed the version 2 update and then the add-on for email spam
filtering (Anti-Spam).
Below are problems I am experiencing...

1. Email spam filtering
I'm using Outlook Express and the icon (Norton Antispam) appears at the top
of my email programme.
I highlight emails that are spam then click this is spam, the emails are
placed into my spam folder.
However, even though I have been doing this for the past 2 weeks or so NO
emails are automatically
filtered! The same spam emails come directly
into my incoming email folder?

I have checked the folders in the Norton Antispam section and the blocked
folder shows all the emails
I have clicked as spam but they still are coming into my inbox of Outlook
and re-set Client integration as per you instructions.

Do I need to re-install? Please advise.

Kind regards

----- Original Message -----
From: "Symantec Tech Support"
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 3:00 PM

04/17/2008 12:01PM SIGNINVIEW
04/17/2008 12:02PM AUTOFIXVIEW

04/17/2008 12:02PM AUTOFIXVIEW

N  12th of Jun, 2008 by
I ordered your norton 360 2.o on may 21, 2008 & received email confirmation order #4387594312.But I could not download it for some reason & can not get ahold of anybody at symantec to help me with this problem.I find the system very user unfriendly & wish I could figure out how to get my $109.00 back thank's for nothing symantec your the best!!
A  16th of Jul, 2008 by
why norton antivirus 2007 including last update can not remove ieav.exe
when ever i open any folder it shows that your system is infected.. download and run ieav.exe (internet explorer antivirus .exe) i found form google that it is the latest version of zolb.. so plz help me.. plz help me..
N  5th of Nov, 2008 by
I have bought the Norton package 360 with the code key Norton TF6DQYXTD999GTRCT37TGMDJ9 and I can not install it in my Laptop, please say me the steps to do.
A  27th of Jan, 2009 by
my case # was 090127-002899. i would like to thank rajasekar for updating my system immediately.that is why i like your norton system 100%.i always get help when i need it and it is always prompt and fast. thank you to all that helped with the support of your team.
N  15th of Feb, 2009 by

Symantec - - Norton Antivirus / Security - Where's my credit?

I have used Norton Antivirus/Security for many years. I bought a new computer last summer. It came with McAfee on it. I called Symantec and asked how I would go about moving my Norton to the new computer since I had paid for a year. They acted like I was crazy and finally were to able to tell me how to do it. I decided to just keep the McAfee and not mess with the Norton. I received my credit card bill in September, and there was a charge for a one year renewal of Norton. I didn't realize that I had given them my credit card info last year so I wouldn't have to worry about it later. I called and told them that I had not used Norton since June and I wanted a refund. I was promised that a full refund for the coming year would appear on my credit card within 10 days. It has now been 4 months and no credit on my credit card. I have written two emails to the supervisor with my unresolved ticket number and have not had any response. I had always thought highly of Symantec products. I am very disappointed that their customer service is so lacking and dishonest. I will not do business with them again, and I will tell everyone I know not to use them, too.
N  16th of Feb, 2009 by
Symantec wanted to charge me $100.00 to remove a virsus that their software (Norton Antivirus 2009)did not even detect. I used online chat support and was given a scripted sales pitch to buy thier service. The "support" person was simply trying to sell - no actual support for their product!!!

It is no different the virus that scams you into buying a "virus" protection program.

I use McAfee now and am quite happy.

BTW I wound up manually removing trojan that Norton could not - took 3 days
N  2nd of Mar, 2009 by
We have been trying to fix the problems that our Norton program says we have. We are told that it cannot complete the fix. Your technician, Ganapothy, took control of our comput0r and tried to fix the problem but was unable to do so. He said he would install an updated program but we have nothing yet. Please update us on a solution to this problem.
Maureen Robison
N  12th of Jul, 2011 by
Norton has a new SCAM they on people when they offer a rebate. As of 2010 they now send you a DEBIT card which has an expiration date, plus charges when used. This means each month you don't use the card they bill you $3 it's deducted from your rebate. Plus if you don't use the card (its not accepted everywhere) they will just cheat you out of the total amount and say the card is no longer valid. At least when they sent you a check you could cash it, now you have
all these new hurdles to get past to get your $25 rebate back.

Norton Logo Norton