Sutherlin Nissan Mall Of Georgia / deceptive business practices

1 1855 Luke King PkwyBuford, GA, United States
Phone: 678 714-1885

Outrageous behavior

Earlier in the month I received an undated letter for “urgent safety recall” for my nissan pathfinder for passenger bag air inflator. Nhtsa recall 14v-360-1. The letter indicated that this was the second notice and included a statement:
“nissan strongly recommends that you have this safety recall repair performed immediately. If you do not follow the instructions in this letter, you should not drive your vehicle”
Let me start off by saying that I never received the first notice. I reluctantly proceeded to the dealer as instructed in the letter. Upon arrival that morning I presented the letter to the service writer. He immediately balled up the letter and discarded it. I was surprised and politely asked him to return it that I may retain it for my records.
The next thing I did was before signing the work order and reviewing it carefully was to write a statement: “no other services requested or required.”
That same evening I was driving home I noticed the “service engine soon” light had come on. When I got home I looked at the work order again; I wanted to be sure that no other work had been performed before returning to the dealer. I was wrong. I found that they had went under the vehicle to perform an inspection for rusted struts only to find out later that this recall was only for vehicles in the states where the weather would cause the parts to fail. Well since my vehicle was from california and has always been garage kept this would not apply to my vehicle. I returned my vehicle to the dealership the following morning. I spoke with the service manager kevin. They took the vehicle in and a short time later a mechanic returned with a laundry list of what needed to be repaired. I was incensed and asked them why they ignored my request not to do any other work than that of what was in the recall bulletin. This would have only placed them inside the interior of the vehicle rather than underneath where all the problems were supposed to be. Apparently they took it upon themselves to perform the other unnecessary service and against my authorization.
The next thing I did was call [protected] national consumer affairs department, nissan north america and speak with an agent in manila, philippines. I was told the complaint would be addressed at local level nissan regional consumer affairs. This is when I started to realize how corrupt this organization this was. The regional office is located in tennessee, when the rep called she did not give a last name and the caller id was masked. This is when a vicious game of phone tag ensued.
I had to call back the national consumer affairs before I got a call back from anyone at the regional level. When the conversation began the women begin speaking to me as if I were a child making statements like “you wouldn’t want to drive a vehicle around that was dangerous?”
Needless to say the conversation did not end well. I contacted the dealer to see what they wanted to do about the situation because it was apparent that the nissan consumer’s affairs were just giving me the run around. Apparently they feel they had nothing to do with the service engine light coming on and they may be right. The problem is they violated a written order not to do any other work to the vehicle.

Mr