Suntrust / bad customer service

1 GA, United States

I had to vent this somewhere. How can SunTrust be so bad at what they do?

I had been with SunTrust for more than 7 years, a faithful customer and somewhat biased towards the home team. That all dropped the day I realized I put a "3" instead o f a "4" for the month category under billpay.

SunTrust sent out a check for $980 to my landlord, who cashed it. Since I have a savings account, I don't put a lot of money in my checking, and it was overdrafted. Now, some banks don't cash the check, and you must pay a $35 returned check fee. Not SunTrust. They sent the money out and charged me $35. Ok...

But it doesn't stop there. Though I acceded to their demands and have been getting paperless statements, they figured the best way to contact me about this overdraft was to MAIL me a letter. Four days later, I get a later from SunTrust saying my account is overdrafted. I look online, and see that a check went to my landlord that wasn't supposed to. I go into SunTrust the next day and expain it, and the bank manager says that the excess charges that have racked up since that day ($250) are not their fault, because I put in the date wrong, and so I can't get a refund. I explain to them that is was a simple input error, but the woman was adamant, saying I should be "grateful" that SunTrust took the "courtesy" to pay my incoming charges. I said, LADY! It's not a courtesy when you charge me $35 per transaction, and can't even email me when you're spamming me with junk everyday!

In the end, I switched to BANK OF AMERICA. I don't know, maybe they will suck as well, but I know one thing. There overdraft protection is free, and they provide me alerts when my account goes below a certain amount. To me, those two things are the LEAST SunTrust could do.